Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who's your 2022 MVP?
This poll is closed.
Shohei Ohtani 50 59.52%
Aaron Judge 19 22.62%
Hey, the national league has an MVP too you know! 15 17.86%
Total: 84 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

live with fruit posted:

So the only source is a guy who openly hates Kapler?

I like Francona, but he's usually better at Twitter than this.

Granted, he's not a journalist, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://mobile.twitter.com/TheAthleticMLB/status/1594857422736293891

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost
I recall that Kapler was the only registered Democrat on one of those chuddy Red Sox championship teams in the 00's so that seems a little suspect.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/jonmorosi/status/1594868828525441024

Honestly the Giants getting Judge would be pretty loving cool. Get it done, Zaidi.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Get it done, Giants

MrMidnight
Aug 3, 2006

He's taking his time and meeting with teams. Smart move and yes, sign him Giants. Perfect fit.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

https://twitter.com/d_maydabeast/status/1594788750407639063

the replies are pure distilled baseball fans be normal about something challenge level impossible

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Are people mad that he hunts? Cause there's a lot of players that hunt and it's deer season.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Popete posted:

Are people mad that he hunts? Cause there's a lot of players that hunt and it's deer season.

As long as they don't go all Clint Barmes with it or kill an endangered species, I guess they could do worse

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Popete posted:

Upset that he hunts and/or that he took a picture with the buck and/or that he's in Texas

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

If you're not walking through a frozen slough with an underpowered shotgun while your alcoholic father stands outside, high and dry, with one bad eye and a high-powered rifle, waiting for your tiny, drenched and tired body flushing out a white-tail, you're not really hunting.

Look at that fuckin gun. You could hit a bird in another county with that thing.

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

use a bow coward

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

It's a deer, he's doing a huge service to nature since we killed off all the good predators in the US.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Legal licensed hunting with appropriate tags is fine. Using gigantic scoped sniper rifles and then posing with it is silly as hell though. Congratulations, you hit a shot on a likely stationary and completely unaware target with a literal point-and-shoot weapon.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Lmao look at that loving gun, big congrats guy.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

I mean, yeah, good. Use a highly accurate effective weapon that gets the kill done quickly and efficiently with minimal chance of leaving the deer wounded :shrug: posting that sort of pic is the only thing weird there but it’s really just weird on a personal to me level. It’s pretty normal for hunting.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Is the Athletic worth it for the Cardinals and to a lesser extent the Rays? I got an offer for $1 a month for a year and that’s tempting even though I hate subscriptions.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

For that price yes it's definitely worth it, there's plenty of good stuff to read. Make sure to cancel before it autorenews, you'll be offered a good deal. When I cancelled I was offered a year at $1.66 a month to stick around

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Intruder posted:

For that price yes it's definitely worth it, there's plenty of good stuff to read. Make sure to cancel before it autorenews, you'll be offered a good deal. When I cancelled I was offered a year at $1.66 a month to stick around

Not sure how long ago you did this but FYI The Athletic sold itself to the NYT early this year because they weren't turning a profit prior, so they may no longer be as desperate to retain subscribers.

SilvergunSuperman
Aug 7, 2010

Kilometers Davis posted:

posting that sort of pic is the only thing weird there but it’s really just weird on a personal to me level.

No, you got it.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
Oh no I can't believe someone would post a photo of their favorite hobby on social media!!!

Good buck, cool gun, fun hat, haters vacate

Kilometers Davis posted:

Is the Athletic worth it for the Cardinals and to a lesser extent the Rays? I got an offer for $1 a month for a year and that’s tempting even though I hate subscriptions.

If you like sports at all then the Athletic is a good buy imo

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
maybe it's his first time hunting and he didn't want to gently caress it up by missing the shot and wounding the deer instead of killing it?

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

No Safe Word posted:

Legal licensed hunting with appropriate tags is fine. Using gigantic scoped sniper rifles and then posing with it is silly as hell though. Congratulations, you hit a shot on a likely stationary and completely unaware target with a literal point-and-shoot weapon.

https://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-live/video/american-sportsman-today/2860982

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Dombrowski just got paid

https://twitter.com/phillies/status/1595077263124480006?s=46&t=2J5IKQ85-9TiBunF-_TA-g

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

Sydin posted:

Not sure how long ago you did this but FYI The Athletic sold itself to the NYT early this year because they weren't turning a profit prior, so they may no longer be as desperate to retain subscribers.

This was a few weeks ago so definitely still doing it as of earlier this month

Red
Apr 15, 2003

https://twitter.com/byalexcoffey/status/1594861310155657216

Why doesn't his beard connect? We should fix that.

ihatepants
Nov 5, 2011

Let the burning of pants commence. These things drive me nuts.

FlamingLiberal posted:

I feel like I’ve been hearing the ‘people are impressed with Jasson Dominguez’s skills’ while he’s putting up pretty pedestrian numbers in A ball for years now

Fortunately for him he’s really young still

His OPS was 7th in the league in High A before being called up to AA at the very end of the season despite being nearly 4 years younger than the average player at that level. He has a long way to go before hitting the majors, but his numbers were anything but pedestrian this season. His struggles in the AZFL were probably because he ramped up from 0 games in 2020 to 57 last year to 120 games in 2022. It is actually more surprising that a lot of publications took him off their top 100 prospects lists just because he didn't immediately live up to the hype prior to signing - Baseball America for example removed him despite (at the time) having the 3rd best OPS in the FSL as its youngest player. Keith Law gave a pretty good writeup on him at the end of the season.

quote:

When the Yankees gave Jasson Dominguez $5 million back in 2019, when he was a 16-year-old free agent in the Dominican Republic, the hype was well ahead of the player – it would have been difficult for anyone that young to live up to the lofty praise and expectations laid on his shoulders. Then the pandemic hit, delaying his pro debut until 2021, and the Yankees chose (sensibly) to start him in extended spring training, so he didn’t appear in an official game until that June and had a solid but unspectacular showing over the rest of the summer, mostly in Low A, where he was among the youngest players at 18. After a rough April this year, however, he’s taken off and has improved so much as the season has progressed that the Yankees challenged him with a final-week promotion to Double-A Somerset, where he debuted on Tuesday night.

I caught him there and in his final High-A game with Hudson Valley, who played at Wilmington on Saturday, and got both sides of Dominguez – the wildly toolsy, dynamic, explosive player who’s going to excel on both sides of the ball; and the young, inexperienced guy who’s going to have to make further adjustments as he races up the ladder. Saturday night was a ridiculous showing for him. He homered from both sides of the plate, including a missile he hit left-handed and a right-handed homer I didn’t even think he hit all that solidly, as well as two more hard-hit balls and a tremendous diving catch in center. It’s plus-plus power, 70 speed and good swings both ways.

On Tuesday night, Dominguez made his first start in Double A, leading off and serving as the designated hitter for the Patriots, and went 0 for 5 with a pair of punchouts. He seemed to struggle most with changing speeds – he was on breaking stuff, which isn’t surprising for a hitter who always has the platoon advantage, but his one swinging strikeout was on an 89 mph fastball middle-up from a lefty, a pitch he should have at least squared up, if not clobbered. As pitchers went fastball-changeup and back, however, he was slower to adjust. That may be his next developmental hurdle. It’s true centerfield and 30-30 upside, though, and more than enough command of the strike zone to get him there in time. I imagine this promotion came with the goal of getting him at least ready for a callup next September, especially if centerfield should be, um, available.
https://theathletic.com/3594207/2022/09/14/yankees-jasson-dominguez-red-sox-prospects/

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Huh, Rob Thomson was initially set to retire after 2022. The he got the interim gig and yeah

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Huh, Rob Thomson was initially set to retire after 2022. The he got the interim gig and yeah

Totally get why Middleton would tap him for interim manager - no expectations, no hurt feelings.

Except...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Salvor_Hardin posted:

I recall that Kapler was the only registered Democrat on one of those chuddy Red Sox championship teams in the 00's so that seems a little suspect.

The dude he brought in used to be much more of a weird hippy than the recent posts indicate, which may make it less confusing on that front.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Love the prospects posts. Post more please.

Luis Matos, who is a top-5 in the Giants system, won Defensive Player of the Year in the AFL. Scouts love his hit tool but KLaw wasn't impressed:

https://theathletic.com/3703139/2022/10/18/mlb-prospects-arizona-fall-league/

quote:

I was looking forward to seeing more of Giants outfielder Luis Matos, who had a very rough year in High A at age 20, hitting .211/.275/.344 for Eugene, although in the end, I think I saw what he was all year. Matos is a hell of a center fielder, with speed and good jumps, but he’s so undersized that he isn’t able to do much at the plate right now, drawing some walks while I saw him but otherwise striking out or making weak contact.

He could still be playing CF in San Francisco by next fall, or more realistically 2024.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Minor league gold gloves were announced today: https://www.mlb.com/news/2022-minor-league-gold-glove-award-winners

https://twitter.com/PavlovicNBCS/status/1595122178478854144

Giants have the next Nolan Arenado coming, you heard it here first :v:

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Red posted:

Totally get why Middleton would tap him for interim manager - no expectations, no hurt feelings.

Except...

Rob Thomson seems like a hell of a manger. Even in the World Series there was...nothing there that I could identify as being clearly his fault. He did a great job managing that team.

It's astounding he didn't get a chance until now.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Well, Alvarado was pretty cooked and Wheeler was dealing....

Not to take anything away from the man, I remember a bunch of commentary about "Firing Joe Girardi Won't Fix What Ails the Phillies" and I guess it loving did. I'm very much "a manager adds or subtracts 5-10 wins on the margin every year" guy but man, what was Girardi doing

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Eh that's kind of revisionist history. There were people here calling for him to pull Wheeler immediately in that situation. Whether it should have been Alvarado or not...

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Of course a coupla days earlier I was about to have a heart attack because Dusty was letting JV get through the fifth when he had absolutely nothing working.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Kirios posted:

Rob Thomson seems like a hell of a manger. Even in the World Series there was...nothing there that I could identify as being clearly his fault. He did a great job managing that team.

It's astounding he didn't get a chance until now.

There were definitely things he did that I or other fans didn't agree with, but it almost always worked out for him. I guess it turned out he knew those players/situations better than us fans. :)

With the previous job openings, it's possible he just doesn't interview well, or perhaps he just looked like a career assistant coach. It may also just be that he only ever interviewed for jobs like the Yankees, where he was up against what the owners thought were superior candidates. The link below says he interviewed with Toronto, who went with John Farrell, so... I dunno.

I get the sense that he's really good about communicating individually with players on expectations and roles. In post-game interviews, he's on each detail, and able to explain his rationale, and is able to quote his players regarding specific roles/events/etc. I think he also benefits from having been an assistant coach, and having already developed a supporting relationship with the players.

Link: https://www.nj.com/yankees/2017/11/yankees_rob_thomson.html

quote:

The No. 1 reason Girardi isn't returning as Yankees manager is because Cashman thought his ability to connect to players had deteriorated.

Thomson says that's never been a problem for him.

When Thomson was asked how he would be different from Girardi, he answered, "I really don't want to compare myself to Joe. I do know this, my strengths are my communication and my trust with the players, and because of that trust we can implement more things into our game, whether it be analytics or sports science.

"Whatever we want to do, I think we can get through to players. I'm intense, but I'm still calm and still poised. I will make sure that these guys prepare. I’ll make sure they compete and I feel like I have the leadership skills in order to be open-minded and listen to new ideas and have an open-door policy with players. They can come in and coaches can come in and not be worried about me shooing them out of the door.

"I want to know what's on their mind and in their hearts all the time. That's just who I am and really who I've always been."

Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks

Kilometers Davis posted:

Yeah, and you get the added bonus of weirdos in the comments of Cards articles praising the beat writer (Katie Woo) every time. Very strange

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

The Astros beat guy quit in May and they just never replaced him. I don't follow them for their baseball coverage.

e: I'm not saying there's any kind of shenanigans, it's just weird because the Athletic isn't a fun sports journo start up anymore, it's run by the NYT

zoux fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 22, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Super Mega Baseball 3 is currently on deep discount for the Steam sale. I just picked it up myself not having played since the first game. It's a fun arcade baseball game that also allows for multiplayer leagues with team/roster management.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/988910/Super_Mega_Baseball_3/

Anyone interested in doing a Goon franchise league? I could put together a thread if there is enough interest. Not sure how the format would work just yet as I need to dive into the game a bit more myself.