Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Arcturas posted:

Do you think there's a way they could add peaceful diplo-annexing? It seems really counter-intuitive that the best-case result to incorporate a neighbor in a friendly manner is to get a friendly protectorate relationship through customs union and then protectorate someone, then completely tank your relationship and expel diplomats and whatever else, until you can DP->puppet->annex them. This seems very frustrating. I can sorta understand it because it gives neighbors an opportunity to intervene in the different gradations of integration via the DPs, but it would be nice if there was a "friendly" diplomatic play where their willingness to back down was based off how much they liked you, not hated you, or similar.

I've seen this mentioned a few times and I think I understand the logic as to why it's set up this way, but the interface needs to be better because a lot of people just don't even realize you can launch a play to annex a vassal since the option just doesn't show up at high relations. The reason I think it's set up this way is that high relations allow you, as a vassal, to create a safety buffer where your overlord can't annex you. So long as relations are above whatever the cutoff point is (20 I think?) you're safe. If your overlord starts damaging relations, that also gives you early warning that they're going to try some poo poo and lets you hunt around for some allies before they launch the play. The problem is that most players are seeing this from the overlord's perspective and thinking "They love me so I should be able to annex them for free" but from the vassal's perspective that high relationship is meant to secure their autonomy, not make them easier to annex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nicodemus Dumps
Jan 9, 2006

Just chillin' in the sink

Arcturas posted:

Do you think there's a way they could add peaceful diplo-annexing? It seems really counter-intuitive that the best-case result to incorporate a neighbor in a friendly manner is to get a friendly protectorate relationship through customs union and then protectorate someone, then completely tank your relationship and expel diplomats and whatever else, until you can DP->puppet->annex them. This seems very frustrating. I can sorta understand it because it gives neighbors an opportunity to intervene in the different gradations of integration via the DPs, but it would be nice if there was a "friendly" diplomatic play where their willingness to back down was based off how much they liked you, not hated you, or similar.

Top of my head requirements/factors:
High relations
Accepted pops of annexee would be accepted upon being annexed
Economically healthy
Interest groups in gov't of annexee would not become marginalized upon being annexed

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I have a feeling that peaceful diplo annexing would be less of an issue if it was possible to build within your own protectorates.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

I've seen this mentioned a few times and I think I understand the logic as to why it's set up this way, but the interface needs to be better because a lot of people just don't even realize you can launch a play to annex a vassal since the option just doesn't show up at high relations. The reason I think it's set up this way is that high relations allow you, as a vassal, to create a safety buffer where your overlord can't annex you. So long as relations are above whatever the cutoff point is (20 I think?) you're safe. If your overlord starts damaging relations, that also gives you early warning that they're going to try some poo poo and lets you hunt around for some allies before they launch the play. The problem is that most players are seeing this from the overlord's perspective and thinking "They love me so I should be able to annex them for free" but from the vassal's perspective that high relationship is meant to secure their autonomy, not make them easier to annex.

They could flip this so that low relations make it impossible to diploannex, which would accomplish the same result while also making more intuitive sense.

As it is, a vassal state being rebellious and disliking their overlord is more susceptible to integration - doesn’t really make sense.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
The integration is involuntary. When relations are good there's no reason to mess with the status quo. When they're bad you start wonder whether you gotta force it before they decide they don't want to be a subject anymore.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Fuligin posted:

love it, wish it was toned down a bit for the sake of my graphics card and cause you get some incredible urban sprawl that should feel rarer outside a few places by the end date

To be fair, we are playing the game with the benefit of hindsight and for long-term growth of the country. In history, people are often a lot more short-sighted and try to grow their own power and influence at the expense of others. It's part of why the landlords get broken ahistorically early for many countries - the ruling class didn't have a nebulous will of the country kicking them out of government and trying to pass laws that they hated.

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

Ithle01 posted:

I have a feeling that peaceful diplo annexing would be less of an issue if it was possible to build within your own protectorates.

This too. If I could force protectorates/whoever to build rubber plantations and oil rigs, as happened historically, it would help alleviate many of the late game frustrations.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Arcturas posted:

This too. If I could force protectorates/whoever to build rubber plantations and oil rigs, as happened historically, it would help alleviate many of the late game frustrations.

This is the big issue. Having dominions/protectorates/vassals wouldn't be an issue if you could influence them in the slightest way. It's particularly egregious with the British/Dutch East India companies, these are literally resource extraction engines that won't extract resources.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014

trapped mouse posted:

Vicky 3 was part of Wiz's nefarious plan to make us all Reagan/Thatcherites :argh:

Speak for yourself, it's obviously just demonstrating the advantages of the Dengist model

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Hiveminded posted:

Speak for yourself, it's obviously just demonstrating the advantages of the Dengist model

Slam dunk for Luol Deng on this one, IMO.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

This is the big issue. Having dominions/protectorates/vassals wouldn't be an issue if you could influence them in the slightest way. It's particularly egregious with the British/Dutch East India companies, these are literally resource extraction engines that won't extract resources.

Not being able to purposefully dismantle all the competing industries in the colonial holdings to make sure they have to buy from the parent country at massively inflated prices while forcing the locals to work in worse and worse raw resource extraction jobs is very un-victoria-like of the game.

Hobo
Dec 12, 2007

Forum bum

Zeroisanumber posted:

Anyone else having a problem where you win a battle and only take a single province? Did I gently caress something up?

Yes, I do - happens for all battles on a given front, seems to be linked to allies? I usually have to go and start another front via a naval invasion if it’s an issue.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Is tech spread also impacted by what industries you already have in your country, or is it just based on your proximity to and openness / diplo / trade relations with other countries ?

I feel like somewhere several DLCs down the line, the tech tree could be replaced with something a bit more interesting. The game already simulates all the individual moving parts of technological advancement in the victorian period - private sector, public sector, diplomatic relations, domestic scientific / intellectual community. You could definitely set up a system that models all the possible mechanisms of technological change - private sector research, public sector investment, independent invention, hiring of foreign advisors to bring new technologies to a country, etc.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo
The East India Company began a play to attack me and then shortly after backed down from their own play, resulting in me collecting some War Reps for no work. I haven't seen something like that. They had just had a big civil war, so maybe the calculation for "should start a play" and "should back down" weren't quite aligned and I received a little political arbitrage.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

GreenMarine posted:

The East India Company began a play to attack me and then shortly after backed down from their own play, resulting in me collecting some War Reps for no work. I haven't seen something like that. They had just had a big civil war, so maybe the calculation for "should start a play" and "should back down" weren't quite aligned and I received a little political arbitrage.

Did someone join the play against them? I've done exactly this when it's like, "I'll take this province" and then the UK joins the play against me and I'm like "OK, I don't want it that much"

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

I'm playing a relaxing game as France to just do whatever I want

England decided to start a diplo play against me to conquer Dahomey (my puppet) and grab a treaty port in Aquitaine. Since they started it in Africa, no other big powers can join, and England + all their cronies don't even have enough soldiers to get a numerical advantage (I have 280 regiments vs their 210 or so?), and they're worried about it already.

I decided to add reparations + transfer Lower Canada to me as wargoals, to liberate the francophones from perfidious Albion. I'm going to start mobilizing everything so they get even more scared and back down, but just in case they don't back down and we go to war, the only actual borders we share are in the Caribbean and in Africa. How do I best kick their butts and liberate my francophone brothers in Canada?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

If I want Opium, who should I invade with the least likelihood of consequences?
Right now the easiest ones to access are probably Egypt (through my African colonies) and Siam.

Bold Robot
Jan 6, 2009

Be brave.

Kraftwerk posted:

Right now the easiest ones to access are probably Egypt (through my African colonies) and Siam.

It's usually pretty easy to puppet and then annex Burma.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Kraftwerk posted:

Sindh is easy to overlook in northern India.

You basically want to take what you can get without someone too big intervening. There are really only three regions that are accessible, Indochina with Dai Nam, Siam, and Burma; northern India with Sindh; and North Africa with Egypt.

GreenMarine
Apr 25, 2009

Switchblade Switcharoo

Gort posted:

Did someone join the play against them? I've done exactly this when it's like, "I'll take this province" and then the UK joins the play against me and I'm like "OK, I don't want it that much"

It happened pretty fast so I didn't notice, but I'd guess France joined. That makes sense then.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

I was able to puppet Najd, can I force them to build oil rigs or do I have to want and annex them? I will HAPPILY subsidize their country if I can get the oil from it.

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Elendil004 posted:

I was able to puppet Najd, can I force them to build oil rigs or do I have to want and annex them? I will HAPPILY subsidize their country if I can get the oil from it.

I saw mods to force subjects to build things, Banana Republic style, but in vanilla there's no way to make resource extraction subjects extract resources.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Yeah the colonialism needs some work, what Paradox game doesn't need 2-3 expansions to get good ofc but it's a little bit of a bummer that the imperialism simulator isn't super great at simulating imperialism. In my current Japan game I got a sugar obsession so I conquered Hawaii, bulldozed the entire domestic economy, and turned the entire island chain into nothing but a port and 20 sugar plantations. Those are the only two jobs available if you're a Hawaiian, no industry or food only growing sugar and exporting sugar back to Japan. Felt like a pretty cool imperialist rear end in a top hat, until I realized that the Hawaiians are now the best-paid workers in the entire empire because of how profitable the plantations are. That's my surplus value goddamn it, why are discriminated pops in a colonial resource extraction state getting a share of the profits? That should all be going into the pockets of my upper class :mad:

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

build a railroad and turn on the rail transit option, you need more unemployed Hawaiians to drive wages down

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

Ah, my government working in harmony. Surely, this will be...

Oh no!

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

Getting a little frustrated with all the bugs and jank:

As Prussia I puppeted Denmark, which transferred PUs of Schlesswig and Holstein to me. Then I formed Germany and S-H became part of Germany, but Denmark remained a puppet. So far, so good. Then later Sweden formed Scandinavia and Denmark – who were Loyal/Amicable! – just... went to Scandinavia. That shouldn't be possible, a puppet shouldn't be able to join any formed nation unless their overlord is doing the forming, at least not without a play/war. In this case that wouldn't have even been possible because Sweden were my ally.

I was trying to pass proportional taxation and had 3 IGs in government that either support or strongly support it: the Army, Intelligentsia, and trade unions. Mousing over the little ideology icons for each IG show that they support it, and their leaders don't have any traits that cause them to oppose it. But when I actually try to enact it the success % is single digit low and mousing over it shows only the trade unions are are contributing to the success %. This has to be a bug. I reformed the government and kicked all 3 of them out, then reformed again with all 3 of them in and same thing. It took me 3 attempts to pass because the success % was so low.

Everyone's favorite, war fronts fractal splitting and creating many new undefended fronts. Especially annoying when it's a naval invasion so there's only one general on the front so the newly split, undefended front simply collapses and you lose your beachhead. I've resorted to exploiting the bug that lets you instantly teleport another general plus army by assigning them to the front and then toggling advance/defend by right clicking in the outliner.

Why do generals have traits for particular terrain like woods or mountains or whatever, when all we as players can do is assign them to an entire front? What good is a terrain bonus when I don't pick who fights which battles or where? It feels like a system meant for a different game.

Lack of finer control of trade. My rival France are buying 85% of my entire iron output. Yeah sure I could embargo, but that costs influence and also stops all other trade. Unless I'm running laissez-faire I should be able to stop this or slow it down. I mean yes, in my case I eat the 200 bird mana cost and embargo them, but it just isn't realistic, France shouldn't *want* to be this dependent on their rival. The AI does this all the time; I'm usually way ahead on ironclads so most of the great powers end up importing my ships which cripples them if I'm ever at war with them. This makes the AI so much weaker.

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Family Values posted:

I was trying to pass proportional taxation and had 3 IGs in government that either support or strongly support it: the Army, Intelligentsia, and trade unions. Mousing over the little ideology icons for each IG show that they support it, and their leaders don't have any traits that cause them to oppose it. But when I actually try to enact it the success % is single digit low and mousing over it shows only the trade unions are are contributing to the success %. This has to be a bug. I reformed the government and kicked all 3 of them out, then reformed again with all 3 of them in and same thing. It took me 3 attempts to pass because the success % was so low.
What was your existing tax law? They’ll only add success chance if they strictly prefer the new law over the current one. Armed Forces have the same level of support for proportional, graduated, and per-capita tax, so if you’re switching per-capita -> proportional then they won’t help, for example.

Elendil004
Mar 22, 2003

The prognosis
is not good.

So how DO I root out this fascism that is now taking over the other IGs?

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Elendil004 posted:

Ah, my government working in harmony. Surely, this will be...

Oh no!

This was inevitable the moment you went into coalition with a man named Lysander Kane

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

Crazycryodude posted:

In my current Japan game I got a sugar obsession so I conquered Hawaii, bulldozed the entire domestic economy, and turned the entire island chain into nothing but a port and 20 sugar plantations. Those are the only two jobs available if you're a Hawaiian, no industry or food only growing sugar and exporting sugar back to Japan. Felt like a pretty cool imperialist rear end in a top hat

This game’s been doing that, huh. I was telling myself going into it I was only going to do minimal imperialism, and I felt really bad taking my first colony, but now after 50 hours I’m at the point I grab whatever I can get and annihilate domestic industry without flinching, turning almost the entire countries into rubber and opium plantations. :sigh:

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Koramei posted:

This game’s been doing that, huh. I was telling myself going into it I was only going to do minimal imperialism, and I felt really bad taking my first colony, but now after 50 hours I’m at the point I grab whatever I can get and annihilate domestic industry without flinching, turning almost the entire countries into rubber and opium plantations. :sigh:

Part of it really is paradox not actually playing the game here - there is absolutely no way they saw the way opium demand required invading India as Denmark or whatever to have a military hospital and thought “ahhh, as intended”, as the AI just never uses that PM.

no news from paradox besides a vague post about adding more oil and “planning to” work on the AI really has me down. They’re gonna start losing folks eventually without some news or the first major patch

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

Eiba posted:

You basically want to take what you can get without someone too big intervening. There are really only three regions that are accessible, Indochina with Dai Nam, Siam, and Burma; northern India with Sindh; and North Africa with Egypt.

So I attempted to vassalize Siam, and Germany intervened on their behalf. On land my armies could fight them but at sea the German navy consisting primarily of man-o-wars defeated all my monitors with torpedo boats because apparently having more ships than me somehow means they're better even though in real life its very unlikely a man-o-war could do gently caress all against ironclads.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Yeah, can recommend conquering Sindh. It gets you lots of good stuff - opium and dye in particular. There're a lot of people working there too, and lots of arable land.

I've never had a Great Power back them in a play, and their troops are a walkover.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

that whole part of central Asia seems to fall into the gaps. My biggest regret as Persia so far is being friendly instead of just taking them over and forcing them to develop

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

My armed forces IG doubled in clout because I hit the 20 general limit and have been forced to promote almost all of them to keep every battalion under command, and the recruitment pool offers me Armed Forces generals probably 3/4 of the time and never any good IGs.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Waifu Radia posted:

Part of it really is paradox not actually playing the game here - there is absolutely no way they saw the way opium demand required invading India as Denmark or whatever to have a military hospital and thought “ahhh, as intended”, as the AI just never uses that PM.

no news from paradox besides a vague post about adding more oil and “planning to” work on the AI really has me down. They’re gonna start losing folks eventually without some news or the first major patch

apparently they never tested naval combat either because ironclads easily lose to man of wars

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

apparently they never tested naval combat either because ironclads easily lose to man of wars

Do they? They've got like, double the stats

Moonwolf
Jun 29, 2004

Flee from th' terrifyin' evil of "NHS"!

Raw fleet size numbers wins for ages, I've had monitors lose to ships of the line because it was 30 to 45, when it should be a cakewalk. The only time I've had ships really win is when my opponent has a massive supply shortage so all the ships have terrible morale. Or when I've outnumbered them overwhelmingly with much better ships.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Gort posted:

Yeah, can recommend conquering Sindh. It gets you lots of good stuff - opium and dye in particular. There're a lot of people working there too, and lots of arable land.

I've never had a Great Power back them in a play, and their troops are a walkover.

The BEIC has rushed Sindh in the first year or so in my last few games. Luckily Lower Egypt is usually available, with the bonus that you can snag Sinai in the war too.

Relatedly, do the Suez/Panama canals have any effect on trade, or is it just the flat 100 prestige the info screen shows?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Eiba posted:

Persia also has opium. Fars has both opium and oil, which is nice.

Gort posted:

I've had the EIC attack me for Sindh once after I conquered it. And that means like 5 fronts, since their puppets neighboring you get your own fronts. It's safe if they've become a British puppet, but they start as a dominion.