Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Joe Fisto posted:

I don't know who Jobby is, but it has helped to just assume that anyone who might have fans is secretly or just openly terrible. There are some exceptions however; Mr. Rogers, Mr. T, Weird Al. If you think you know something bad about any of those folks, please shut the gently caress up.

Jobbythehong, he does viscerally unappealing toy reviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I've been tearing through Earthspark today and...

it is awesome! Megatron using his cannon as a mode of transportation is especially fantastic.

Almost makes me want to buy some toys...

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Joe Fisto posted:

I don't know who Jobby is, but it has helped to just assume that anyone who might have fans is secretly or just openly terrible. There are some exceptions however; Mr. Rogers, Mr. T, Weird Al. If you think you know something bad about any of those folks, please shut the gently caress up.

Good advice. Never learn how the sausage is made, and I will also fight anyone who says Fred Rogers was not a good person.

Anora posted:

I see a few more people are finding out Jobby is a terrible person

You can't leave us hanging like this!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Brendan Frasier appears to be composed entirely of goodness and joy.

Jobby the Hong has in the past shown he's extremely transphobic.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
A general rule of thumb I have, which has thusfar served me well, is if I stumble across someone using a username on another site that seems like it'd work for an FYAD superstar then I probably will not want to hear what they have to say.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

You can't leave us hanging like this!

https://twitter.com/battleupsaber/status/1593813645473255426

He's teaming up with a -gater. Besides his Transphobic stuff he loves throwing alt-right dog whistles in his videos.

Which leads to dumb poo poo like this:

https://twitter.com/elduroto/status/1594056679892652033

"You know alt-right trolls only do something to show to themselves and the other side their beliefs" Yeah, that's totally not a dog whistle.

War and Pieces
Apr 24, 2022

DID NOT VOTE FOR FETTERMAN

Tighclops posted:

Beast Machines is absolutely frustrating on many levels both as a sequel and on it's own merit but it's only about as bad as a modern prestige streaming drama

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
That line of logic is amazing. Like pulling a triple backflip with a 360 twist from a standstill just to end up in the same place, and yet they think it's clever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Arquinsiel posted:

That line of logic is amazing. Like pulling a triple backflip with a 360 twist from a standstill just to end up in the same place, and yet they think it's clever.

Jean-Paul Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Arquinsiel posted:

Some genuinely believe there's such a thing as 'ironic' racism which just means they're bottomlessly stupid and sadly that is the best case scenario.

Space Robot
Sep 3, 2011

I was hoping for some EarthSpark discussion in this thread, but if this is what that leads to than I think I can live without it.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Earthspark, then. I watched the first few episodes of it and it seems fine for a kid's cartoon? From the dialogue and plot it seems to skew a bit younger than the stuff I usually watch, but fairly inoffensively so. I only caught one instance of Trying to be Hip where slang was used by one of the kid characters in a way that makes no sense at all. The characters themselves all seem cool. I like the Malto family. The idea of showing us young transformers and having them go through their own version of childhood that mirrors the humans is a fun idea, but I'm not sure how much thought really went into this being a "thing" because like-- the plots in these first couple episodes don't really do anything that a show about all humans would do. Thrash comes off looking the worst for it, he seems like the youngest in personality of the four Malto kids with his seeming insistence on being very combinative and contrary even in the most benign of situations. I hope his character arc is growing out of it or that it's just an early episode thing.

I haven't watched Transformers media in a while, (Since Robots in Disguise, which I enjoyed but did not finish) so I don't know how much of the show is the current continuity or if this is the start of something new. Megatron working with humans seems to be presented as a surprise, so I kind of feel like this is new continuity. It's a fun twist and I would like to know more about how this came to pass and what his current relationship is with the other Decepticons are now, given that I've seen so far seem to be mostly doing the usual Decepticon thing and both are wearing the same purple insignia. Elita-One and Bumblebee both seem fun, though Optimus I'm not sure about. With how he handled things in the first episode and the gag with Bumblebee trying to get ahold of him all episode he kind of came across not as a Leader who does things, but as one who delegates and then goes to get high in his office.

Swindle and Mandroid were both fun, they really got to chew on the scenery and ham things up. As it stands I'll probably continue to catch an episode here and there when I can and there's nothing on tv youtube to watch while working. But I'm not so invested that I feel like I'll actually finish the show, a least with how things have been going.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
There's not enough Earthspark yet to really judge. It's worth a watch as it has very good production values, is having a lot of fun, and seems to be starting up a plot, but we also only have 10 episodes.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Only seen a few episodes but I dig the new sassy Megatron. I also appreciate that Mandroid hates being called that (at least originally, not seen enough to know if he adopts the name).

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Anora posted:

There's not enough Earthspark yet to really judge. It's worth a watch as it has very good production values, is having a lot of fun, and seems to be starting up a plot, but we also only have 10 episodes.

That's already leagues above the Rooster Teeth stuff.

Fsmhunk
Jul 19, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Earthspark benefits a ton by having the utterly amateur Prime Wars and WfC stuff to compare to. Just having good voice actors and acceptable animation puts it head and shoulders above that stuff, which could honestly pass as like SFM or Flash animation.

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
What's the best way to figure out how to est proce your TF toys for sale?

I have some TF animated things and I have seen prices go for some wildly different proces and with very little experience reselling I'm very unsure if I would be pricing myself out of anyone's interest of underselling myself unknowingly.

Any advice would be welcome.

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I sold a lot of things on eBay a year or so ago, and for a lot of things I would match whatever the highest price I knew was, but also accept offers. Never offer free shipping - I'm on the east coast and so many buyers are from California, and the shipping there can be really out of hand.

Also on pricing, re-listing an ended item is just a few clicks so if it doesn't sell in two weeks, just drop the price $5 or whatever until someone bites.

The biggest pain is that in not offering free shipping, you have to know the size and weight of every package (for the shipping calculator), so all your boxes have to be pre-meditated. I used up some odd boxes I had around, but ultimately ordered a bunch from ULine - I got a lot of mileage out of bulk orders of 18x12x6 and 12x6x6 boxes. Wal-Mart also offers well priced boxes (their Pen+Gear ones), but at least around here they get bought out of the useful sized ones pretty quickly anytime they get a shipment.

Pad things well, bubble wrap is great (I always save it), balled supermarket bags are good filler in some circumstances.

I also always put delivery confirmation on packages. Otherwise if anything goes wrong in the transaction eBay is going to side with the buyer.

Edit - for loose figures, especially action figures with paint apps on legs/arms etc I usually take little pieces of small-bubble wrap and put a bit around one leg, and around the torso with the arms raised, then lower the arms - this stops paint transfer between limbs if the box gets jostled around. For some figures with weak necks or other fragile bits I've made cushion collars to take force off of them too. Large boxes may need additional cardboard reinforcement pillars taped into their corners to prevent crushing. USPS priority mail boxes are great fodder for cutting up for reinforcements, the cardboard is good quality and they're free. I don't mail with them since it costs significantly more than buying a box and just paying priority postage on it.

Edit Edit - Make a spreadsheet of everything you're selling, and when you bought it, and what you paid. Best guess is OK, having a receipt is better (I had a surprising number in my email going back to 2002). Any online payment processor you use will generate a 1098-K and you'll have to deal with that. Add to this what you sell it for, what you paid in fees, and what you paid in shipping (you'll need all of this later). Tax software tries to get you to file those as self-employment but that was a bit onerous, so I filed mine as capital gains on personal items (which seemed like exactly what that was for) and was accepted with the documentation. However, since the software (Turbotax) would not let me associate the 1098 with the capital gains section, I had to include a cover letter and paper file. I am hoping that is fixed for this upcoming year.

Prophet of Nixon fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Nov 20, 2022

Agent_grey
Jan 8, 2007

Scrub-a-Dub-Dub!
This is super helpful thank you, especially weighing items, I genuinely had not thought of it at all.

And the padding around the loose figures would not have even slightly occurred to me.

Thanks again

Agent_grey fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Nov 21, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Welp I got burned by Hasbro Pulse's return policy - unlike other retailers like Amazon, Walmart, etc, you can't just return a product because it's bad and you don't like it. I bought Studio Series Crosshairs and he's a fiddly mess that I can't transform, with parts that pop off with very little provocation, and I regret buying him.

I bet his car mode looks great, if I could actually get him into car mode.

What a waste.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Crosshairs rules imo but the spoiler doesn't stay on at all, I'd just bin it. I'd watch a video tutorial, some of the steps are a little counterintuitive for getting the car shell back over his head without conflict.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

DoctorWhat posted:

Crosshairs rules imo but the spoiler doesn't stay on at all, I'd just bin it. I'd watch a video tutorial, some of the steps are a little counterintuitive for getting the car shell back over his head without conflict.

For the life of me I cannot get his feet to line up under the hood when I'm trying to fold him up into car mode, and the roof of the car is way harder to peg back in than it is to pop it off, it doesn't make sense. I tried watching Chefatron's video about him (he didn't like him either), maybe I need to find other videos. First impression of this guy is pretty sour though.

At least I've got other bots coming in the mail (Crankcase, Inferno, Dead End, Pointblank) and I got some others very recently (Masterpiece Nightbird, Bingotoys Windgirl, SS86 Ironhide).

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

His pelvis folds backwards so his legs can "retract", are you missing that step?

As for detaching/reattaching the roof, which I do only rarely - the ball-socket on his backpack is on a hinge, and if it's recessed all the way, there isn't clearance for the underside molding of the roof slab so the ball joint can't seat itself. You have to support the socket assembly from underneath.

See images attached.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Nov 21, 2022

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Yep I was totally missing that pelvis step, thanks!

Edit-- okay I got him in car mode, this mode is real nice. I'll have to superglue that spoiler in place, that thing is awful and it has no reason to be detachable. I'm not sure he's better than the "Autobots United" 5-pack version with the rubbery "cape" bits and the screen-accurate paint deco.

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 21, 2022

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Happy to help.

Edit: the parts I really like are the gun storage and strong proportions. I never had any of his AOE or TLK toys so I'm not comparing him to anyone.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Nov 21, 2022

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

Xenomrph posted:

Welp I got burned by Hasbro Pulse's return policy - unlike other retailers like Amazon, Walmart, etc, you can't just return a product because it's bad and you don't like it. I bought Studio Series Crosshairs and he's a fiddly mess that I can't transform, with parts that pop off with very little provocation, and I regret buying him.

I bet his car mode looks great, if I could actually get him into car mode.

What a waste.

You can always buy one from Amazon, return the opened one to Amazon, then return the unopened one to Hasbro.

I guess some might consider that sketchy but I'm sure the two global megacorps will be okay and they deserve it anyway for selling toys of one of the worst films I've ever seen.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
it isn't return fraud when it's Jeff Bezo's money.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

it isn't return fraud when it's Jeff Bezo's money.

:hmmyes:

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Keldroc posted:

You can always buy one from Amazon, return the opened one to Amazon, then return the unopened one to Hasbro.

I guess some might consider that sketchy but I'm sure the two global megacorps will be okay and they deserve it anyway for selling toys of one of the worst films I've ever seen.

You know, that’s a thought.

Legacy BW Inferno came in the mail and he’s great, his head sculpt is fantastic and has some cool light piping.

I also got SS Hot Rod, he is a LOT smaller than the previous TLK Hot Rod (but I guess the previous version was proportionally oversized according to the wiki?). Robot mode still looks pretty cool though, we’ll see what his transformation is like.

CaptainN
Jul 28, 2004

Keldroc posted:

Less "sketchy", more "fraud". Unless it's not as advertised, just gotta suck it up, or sell it on eBay.

It's a shame that toy stock levels often mean having to make pre-orders on limited information, instead of being able to wait for reviews to come out, just to have a chance at getting it without going to the re-sale market.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Looks like Amazon has some pretty good discounts on random Transformers at all price points, including some new stuff. SS86 Pocket Ratchet is $8.50 which is a steal, Jhiaxus is $26, twin Twist is $21.50, Legacy Metroplex is $10 off, Legacy Skids is $17, Legacy Arcee, Dragstrip, and Kickback are $18, SS Bumblebee movie Ironhide and Arcee (and SS86 Arcee) are $20, SS86 leader Starscream is $32

Edit— Legacy Galvatron is $42

Edit— I bought SS Laserbeak (pink bumblebee), WFC Kingdom Pipes, and Diaclone colors Twin Twist (because good loving luck finding the OG Titans Return version for under $100)

Xenomrph fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Nov 22, 2022

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.

CaptainN posted:

Less "sketchy", more "fraud". Unless it's not as advertised, just gotta suck it up, or sell it on eBay.

It's a shame that toy stock levels often mean having to make pre-orders on limited information, instead of being able to wait for reviews to come out, just to have a chance at getting it without going to the re-sale market.

That is in no way any kind of fraud. No enrichment is occurring, no misrepresentation is happening, no forged receipts are being used. Both entities receive the same item back. Some advantage is being taken of Amazon's no-questions-asked return policy, but who loving cares? Bezos can afford the paperwork.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

So Cosmos is probably a prime scalper target, huh? On top of Walmart being Walmart.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Dawgstar posted:

So Cosmos is probably a prime scalper target, huh? On top of Walmart being Walmart.

Cosmos and Clampdown are the short packed figures in the deluxe box.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

strangehamster posted:

Cosmos and Clampdown are the short packed figures in the deluxe box.

I didn't even know about Clampdown so I guess that answers my question.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool
I watched the first 2 eps of Earth Spark on youtube and I really dig this Megatron alright. Seems like a cute show.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Cosmos is actually discounted from its original price in the UK lol. I was in Smyths the other day and there were two foing for £20 each, down from £25.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Good Listener posted:

I watched the first 2 eps of Earth Spark on youtube and I really dig this Megatron alright. Seems like a cute show.

Megatron is probably my favorite transformer on the show so far.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

My biggest aesthetic complaint with Earthspark is how loathsome and smelly all the brand management is. It's a show where the characters call themselves Transformers, the brand name, as a species, which is always cheap and lousy, combined with the trademark control bullshit of almost never using "transform" as a verb. It's so grating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Well, it didn't bug me but now it's been pointed out it really does :S