Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Definitely looking at what they have to do in the next week before launch and tugging the ol collar a bit. I watched a group play this on stream yesterday and the game crashed for all of them as they had eyes on the extraction in the investigation level after a grueling 45 minutes and on reconnect the bots just all randomly pathed off a cliff simultaneously and they lost the run because of it. Was pretty much a "welp we're done with this game" moment for them and I don't blame them one bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

KPC_Mammon posted:

From the video posted it no longer has unlimited duration
Sure but what did they change with the talents? Apparently they nerfed both grenade regen talents and made the grenade bleed talent stronger, but did they do anything else? :iiam:

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

explosivo posted:

Definitely looking at what they have to do in the next week before launch and tugging the ol collar a bit. I watched a group play this on stream yesterday and the game crashed for all of them as they had eyes on the extraction in the investigation level after a grueling 45 minutes and on reconnect the bots just all randomly pathed off a cliff simultaneously and they lost the run because of it. Was pretty much a "welp we're done with this game" moment for them and I don't blame them one bit.

That sounds hilarious, do you have a link to a clip?

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
I like this game: I like it a lot. But at level 15 zealot, every melee weapon except the Catachan Knife and the Combat Axe is no questions bad.

Why are so many weapons borderline useless? I've played Vermintide: I know they can do this.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Broken Cog posted:

That sounds hilarious, do you have a link to a clip?

I do!
https://clips.twitch.tv/HelplessSingleSardineTheRinger-6Ydt64Qk4STgiJHc

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Lmao, that's terrible but also hilarious

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

DeathSandwich posted:

All of the above. Draws faster, better hip fire, way way faster reload in exchange for worse ADS and sway. It's actually a pretty legit standoff weapon for zealot.

Fuuuck, you should be a mechanicus sales rep.

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

I think I'm giving up using the helbore las rifles forever, the number of times people who walk through me while I'm charging/firing it is beyond frustrating. It almost makes me wish this game had friendly fire just so people learn to walk around sharpshooters instead of through them.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

That extract is rough in general. I like it in principle, it's a really cool idea, but goddamn it's easily the main place I see pub groups fall apart on level 3.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Yeah launch is probably going to be buggy, but ultimately the game is fun and also a 40k shooter so it's going to be fine. People are going to keep playing through the bugs despite constant griping and they'll get patched along the way.

Mystic Mongol posted:

I like this game: I like it a lot. But at level 15 zealot, every melee weapon except the Catachan Knife and the Combat Axe is no questions bad.

Why are so many weapons borderline useless? I've played Vermintide: I know they can do this.

A lot of the crowd control weapons feel anemic compared to VT because they're just that, crowd control. The expectation is that you'll be using your gun to delete specials unless you specifically bring an armor piercing melee weapons and a crowd clearing gun.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Mystic Mongol posted:

At the very least at level 15 you'll start seeing regular Chainswords which are good, even though they pale in comparison to the Eviscerator.

Speaking of which, I unlocked the Thunder Hammer and it seems mediocre compared to the Eviscerator? Its heavy attacks barely do any cleave damage, so while you can knock down a group of enemies fine you'll only really kill one dude per swing while tickling the rest. The special attack is also a bit too slow on the recovery to make it much of an improvement to the Eviscerator's chainsaw attack.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
It's weird how many issues the game has that Deeprock Galactic has already solved, hell even Vermintide has solved some of the issues it's having.

Experience should still fill a bar after level 30 towards something.

Experience and gold gain should automatically be tied to mission length so chaining together 10 minute speedruns should be comparable to going through a 50 minute endless horde grind.

Random groups should remain together after a mission and require opting out of remaining together instead of needing to hit a button in a 10 second window where people probably went afk so you can group with the good pubs again.

Mission availability should be closer to DRG like mentioned earlier.

Ingame tooltips explaining what everything does, it's great they came up with icons to try and explain stuff, not so great if there is no way to decipher what those icons mean ingame.

Some specials not having a loud enough audio cue they spawned like trappers that don't talk, mutants and dogs being way too loud no matter how far away they spawned and dogs sounding similar to the horde noise.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

It's kind of weird that it doesn't do the DRG of having the team respawn together alone in the hub either. Instead you get a bunch of randoms and chat is kind of pointless.

I get they want to give the impression that there are a lot of soldiers on the ship but you can't actually do anything with anyone so?

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
Being stuck with the same 4 maps another week/until launch is real bad.

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

CuddleCryptid posted:

I get they want to give the impression that there are a lot of soldiers on the ship but you can't actually do anything with anyone so?

Every time I get to the ship I just assume that they wanted to make a different game and that's the hub for it. It's really weird, just give me a loving menu.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Kaddish posted:

Probably better to just not play until release; you don't want to burn out. I'm going to get on again only if my friends are queueing up.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's kind of weird that it doesn't do the DRG of having the team respawn together alone in the hub either. Instead you get a bunch of randoms and chat is kind of pointless.
It's always spawned me together with my group so far, but only after doing at least one mission.

The randoms are definitely pointless though.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

dogstile posted:

Every time I get to the ship I just assume that they wanted to make a different game and that's the hub for it. It's really weird, just give me a loving menu.

Eh, it's annoying but it's not too egregious. An optional menu would be best but I think that the run to the store to check out stock does add something to the game.

Check back with me in 100 hours when I've done that run 200 times.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

if i wanted to do more than one mission with the same group i wouldn't be grouping with randos

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

It's hard to say how good or bad the early game weapons are. There are a lot of factors that conspire to muddy the waters.

For instance in VT2 each weapon filled a role but the only stat that really mattered when leveling was, "how many hits does it take to kill x/y/z common enemy?" Taking 3 swings to kill a basic enemy sucks and 2 feels much better, but that can be the difference of literally 1 point of damage and because of all the variables (weapon type, stats, hero power, buffs) can be difficult to predict when you're in the shop. So the net result is, I buy a sword at level 3 and it sucks, I buy the next available hatchet, it feels better. But is that because the hatchet is better or is it the other variables?

Then there's the fact that weapons in darktide don't have clear roles. In vt2 Victor's weapons are always usable at any level and have clear use cases. Giant sword? Big horizontal swings, good for hordes. Rapier? Fast, precise defensive weapon that requires a little skill to use but has a lot of positives. Hatchet? Good for opening cans, not much else.

Roles in darktide seem to be some mix of weapon type and moveset. It's not longer visually simple to remember, "oh I like hatchets they're good against armor" because you might get one with the same moveset as your sword.

They need to do something about the weapon variants they don't really do anything except make the game more confusing.

Mendrian fucked around with this message at 05:33 on Dec 28, 2022

Badger
Sep 21, 2007
On burrowed time...

DeathSandwich posted:

All of the above. Draws faster, better hip fire, way way faster reload in exchange for worse ADS and sway. It's actually a pretty legit standoff weapon for zealot.

Anyone get into revolver for the sharpshooter? It seems like all the boosts to reload speed would do great for it, and you can 1 and 2 tap specials with it.

Yeah i used it for ages before i got a shotgun, and am considering going back to it now (in place of the bolter) that i am 30 and can insta reload with volleyfire. Its great.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Back Hack posted:

I think I'm giving up using the helbore las rifles forever, the number of times people who walk through me while I'm charging/firing it is beyond frustrating. It almost makes me wish this game had friendly fire just so people learn to walk around sharpshooters instead of through them.

They are still very good - try using the camo feat and then angle off from the group a bit to get a good firing lane. Remember that the Mk II has the quickest charge up (iirc), which clearly makes it the best version of the helbore family.

Also getting to cosplay as a Krieg is a bonus(?)

You can also cancel the charge shot by releasing left click as you begin the ads animation, I think. It's a little finicky, but doable.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating

CuddleCryptid posted:

Eh, it's annoying but it's not too egregious. An optional menu would be best but I think that the run to the store to check out stock does add something to the game.

Check back with me in 100 hours when I've done that run 200 times.

They could do that in V2 technically too if they just had lohner's stuff on an actual rotation instead of only rotating it when they have new $8 shirts to plug and Lohner sold rando weapons.

My problem with the hub is that it's sterile and generic. In v2 if I group with randos regardless of the outcome I'm dumped back in the lobby with those randos, so if it was a good group you can just do another run, maybe switch equip out of it was a failed run but a good group, and just take those 3 randos and go again, easy.

Here you get in a game with 3 randos that you will most likely never see again because once the game its over you get dumped in the shared hub again with no guarantees those people are in the same instance. Technically you can invite them again via social but that requires remembering their names, them remembering yours so they don't auto-decline, and if they did auto-decline, to wait long enough for the "dont spam invites" timer to stop triggering.

The hub features like the barber and Meat Grinder and such are nice, I just really miss the "group" feel you had in the Inn / Keep

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Anywhere I can see my crit chance?

Also, locking dummies in the meatgrinder behind trust levels is an interesting choice, not to mention that it's PER CHARACTER.

I just wanted a Reaper to beat on to test my Zealot dps, these small guys die too fast.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Broken Cog posted:

Anywhere I can see my crit chance?

Also, locking dummies in the meatgrinder behind trust levels is an interesting choice, not to mention that it's PER CHARACTER.

I just wanted a Reaper to beat on to test my Zealot dps, these small guys die too fast.

I sort of get the idea of locking some enemies behind levels for spoiler reasons, but Reapers and Bulwarks show up in Uprising and Sedition difficulty too even at level 3 or something, so why do i have to wait until like level 15 before I can test what weapons work effectively against them and where? It should just unlock them as soon as you've killed one of the type once or twice in a succesful mission or something.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Kaddish posted:

https://twitter.com/DarktideComms/status/1595074804331483136

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Fishstick posted:

I sort of get the idea of locking some enemies behind levels for spoiler reasons, but Reapers and Bulwarks show up in Uprising and Sedition difficulty too even at level 3 or something, so why do i have to wait until like level 15 before I can test what weapons work effectively against them and where? It should just unlock them as soon as you've killed one of the type once or twice in a succesful mission or something.
You have to get to level 30 for poxhounds (and presumably mutants) in the meat grinder lol

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I like their kayfabe twitter comms account

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Smelter complex is good fun! the final holding out in the middle as the flames go crazy is good. Seems like way more effort was put into it than the missions i've seen so far.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Mendrian posted:

It's hard to say how good or bad the early game weapons are. There are a lot of factors that conspire to muddy the waters.

For instance in VT2 each weapon filled a role but the only stat that really mattered when leveling was, "how many hits does it take to kill x/y/z common enemy?" Taking 3 swings to kill a skinny sucks and 2 feels much better, but that can be the difference of literally 1 point of damage and because of all the variables (weapon type, stats, hero power, buffs) can be difficult to predict when you're in the shop. So the net result is, I buy a sword at level 3 and it sucks, I buy the next available hatchet, it feels better. But is that because the hatchet is better or is it the other variables?

This is part of the reason why I like that the Meat Grinder has difficulty levels so that you can test those break points, it's really nice. That said, you can't actually test those points til you buy things, so let's get rid of those bars FatShark.

VVV I don't understand the relationship between your comment and mine, did you mean to quote someone else?

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 22, 2022

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

CuddleCryptid posted:

This is part of the reason why I like that the Meat Grinder has difficulty levels so that you can test those break points, it's really nice. That said, you can't actually test those points til you buy things, so let's get rid of those bars FatShark.

From your description, I think that one was in the closed beta. They really need to do whatever they can to get more maps in. If they're pulling them due to crashing it really should be a priority to get them back in. People aren't going to want to play 3 maps for a week.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

The Meat grinder even has boxes with gear already

Just add one type of every weapon for your class that's already unlocked/available to you so you can test out baseline axes vs baseline swords vs baseline daggers for free

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!
While we're at it, I'd also like it if you could damage yourself to test out the various toughness/health regenerating feats and perks. Or heck, add actual enemies you can face off against.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Exodee posted:

While we're at it, I'd also like it if you could damage yourself to test out the various toughness/health regenerating feats and perks. Or heck, add actual enemies you can face off against.

This is the big one for me.

DOn't get me wrong, training dummy mode is useful but seriously? No way for me to just proactive sparring against a horde to get my block/swipe combo down with a new weapon before diving in?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

hemale in pain posted:

Smelter complex is good fun! the final holding out in the middle as the flames go crazy is good. Seems like way more effort was put into it than the missions i've seen so far.

Yeah, smelter and reactor are both really good maps, and apparently they made the reactor finale less intense because it was a pugwiper in the beta weekend.

I'd expect they will probably have the hiccups sorted in the radio tower and water treatment later in the week and we'll have some variety again. Last night was a very "bully the captain" sort of night.

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
latest update still hasn't fixed any of the connection issues for me

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

CuddleCryptid posted:

Mostly better draw, it comes out almost instantly whereas the las rifle has to be racked every time. Or whatever it is on a gun with no bullets, energizing the power cell?

Pistols in general are pretty poo poo (except the Big Iron revolver). They really serve no purpose. Whooptidoo, you can dodge with them. But you can't parry so horde-wise, they're poo poo (unless you have a strictly worse melee weapon for the purpose which... is there one ? Besides the ogryn club ?). They're also poo poo at being a ranged weapon - inaccurate, bad damage, won't deal with specials.

They really should have been either a Salty Rapier-like alt action ; or a toggle to 1H melee weapon - disable block, but shoots instead. As is, there's no reason whatsoever to pick them past level 2.

(I might have posted that already today, I don't remember. I'm drunk, and this is an Important Opinion.)

Kobal2 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 22, 2022

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Cyrano4747 posted:

This is the big one for me.

DOn't get me wrong, training dummy mode is useful but seriously? No way for me to just proactive sparring against a horde to get my block/swipe combo down with a new weapon before diving in?

I would guess that functionality is in the works for post release. There's a lot of potential to be had with the meat grinder.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Sharkopath posted:

Accatran VId....

Genuinely recommend everybody try the accatran while you cam because I feel like its not long for the world with its current stats.

Honestly have not been impressed at all by any Accatran I've pulled. I have tried 2 Mk VI d accatran's, and one with a 91 round mag and it just took sooooooooo long to kill any specials or elites. The iron sights on it suck rear end too.

Guns I've liked as Veteran:

Bolter
Kantrael pattern lasgun
Columnus braced autogun

Mid guns
Accatran

Did not enjoy
Revolver
Other autogun

Not tried
Lucius pattern lasgun
shotgun

The Kantrael would reliably like 2 shot elites/specials with headshots especially in Volley and it just felt like I had to hold down the accatran hose on them for much longer to get the same thing accomplished. Was nicer for hosing down ranged normal baddies but honestly being good at that doesnt feel fun (maybe its necessary in later difficulties)

The accatran I have now has bonus damage for being up close and it still didnt shred elites/specials near me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Kobal2 posted:

Pistols in general are pretty poo poo (except the Big Iron revolver). They really serve no purpose. Whooptidoo, you can dodge with them. But you can't parry so horde-wise, they're poo poo (unless you have a strictly worse melee weapon for the purpose which... is there one ? Besides the ogryn club ?). They're also poo poo at being a ranged weapon - inaccurate, bad damage, won't deal with specials.

They really should have been either a Salty Rapier-like alt action ; or a toggle to 1H melee weapon - disable block, but shoots instead. As is, there's no reason whatsoever to pick them past level 2.

(I might have posted that already today, I don't remember. I'm drunk, and this is an Important Opinion.)

Sounds like a skill issue because as many have said the heavy laspistol can headshot pretty reliably.