Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

When Bergeron played game 1000, he bought the entire team and team staff gifts.

Trent Frederic was trying to refuse his because he only had a handful of games played with the team by then, but Bergeron told him everyone he's ever played with has helped him get to where he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Aphrodite posted:

When Bergeron played game 1000, he bought the entire team and team staff gifts.

Trent Frederic was trying to refuse his because he only had a handful of games played with the team by then, but Bergeron told him everyone he's ever played with has helped him get to where he is.

Can he just retire already so I can stop liking Boston players?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Chad Sexington posted:

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Chad Sexington posted:

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/PredsNHL/status/1595077896648941569

lol ok this is good

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Good to see Holtz go to the AHL where he can play every day but I really thought Bahl is a guy who is good enough to take Brendon Smith's job but complaining about anything the Devils do at this point is pretty poo poo brained anyway.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Very excited to see how the team does with number one defenceman Timothy Liljegren. Apparently Brodie had a bit of a set back too.

https://twitter.com/LeafsPR/status/1595089244619476992?s=20&t=_dc1WOOsZ4dNrnjnzcDtBA

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

Morgan Rielly to LTIR after bumping into Palmieri because he wasn’t looking where he was going

Leafs are now down Rielly, Brodie, and Muzzin long-term meaning their “top” defender for at least a couple weeks is a tie between Liljegren and Giordano. Odds are Victor Mete is gonna round out the group with Holl, Benn, and Sandin.

Would be great if Samsonov could come back so the Leafs could stop losing single points off of Källgren starts.

e: Hand Knit <:mad:>

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1595091338227515393?s=20&t=1uIKNk13mvaBFZVNZT3ngQ

In other news, is it possible that it finally occurred to Sheldon Keefe that he shouldn’t be scratching the Leafs leader in 5v5 points/60 when the Leafs are struggling to score at even strength? The guy who has their only OT goal in 6 tries? That maybe a team with glaring holes in its top 6 could use a one-shot scoring threat even if he coughs up the puck occasionally?

no, he’s gonna give Nick 6 mins TOI and then scratch him for two weeks again

Pretty funny that despite all the (deserved) hand-wringing about goaltending and defense the Leafs biggest problem is probably that Mike Bunting sucks again

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

mcmagic posted:

Good to see Holtz go to the AHL where he can play every day but I really thought Bahl is a guy who is good enough to take Brendon Smith's job but complaining about anything the Devils do at this point is pretty poo poo brained anyway.

Yeah I really liked what I saw from Bahl and I think he's ready for a 3rd pair role. It's going to be interesting to see what they do with Graves (maybe gone) and Severson (probably gone) at the end of the year because it's likely Hughes/Nemec/Bahl are all ready for full time spots next year but man it would be surprising to run three rookies after running such an experienced D group this season to such success.

fawning deference
Jul 4, 2018

I feel like we will see Hughes and Bahl and the Devils will sign a veteran D. Nemec might take another year or rotate/compete with Bahl.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

I'm going to see the Devils lose tomorrow so if you see someone in a Kaberle jersey please be assured that I am lobbying hard to bring him back out of retirement.

Also excited to find out if Rielly is really one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league as some of his fancystats suggest, in which case surely a Mete-Benn top pairing will be an improvement?

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Koopa Kid posted:

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1595091338227515393?s=20&t=1uIKNk13mvaBFZVNZT3ngQ

In other news, is it possible that it finally occurred to Sheldon Keefe that he shouldn’t be scratching the Leafs leader in 5v5 points/60 when the Leafs are struggling to score at even strength? The guy who has their only OT goal in 6 tries? That maybe a team with glaring holes in its top 6 could use a one-shot scoring threat even if he coughs up the puck occasionally?

no, he’s gonna give Nick 6 mins TOI and then scratch him for two weeks again

Pretty funny that despite all the (deserved) hand-wringing about goaltending and defense the Leafs biggest problem is probably that Mike Bunting sucks again

Sounds like he could use a Kasperi Kapanen back

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

It's amazing that the Pens continue to scratch him. What a disaster of a signing.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fawning deference posted:

I feel like we will see Hughes and Bahl and the Devils will sign a veteran D. Nemec might take another year or rotate/compete with Bahl.

They'll still have Smith next year so a RHD signing rotating is probably unlikely unless they don't play Bahl. More likely you see Bahl/Smith rotating again I think.

The good thing about Nemec coming up next year if he does, is that he'll get the same kind of sheltered minutes/2nd PP time that Severson is getting. It's a pretty decent spot to jump into although I'm sure they'll play Smith way too much again because he's a "veteran presence." Hopefully Smith doesn't anchor him.

Luke Hughes would be getting much tougher minutes paired with Marino though, so that's why I could see them reupping Graves. That might be the best option if it's not some crazy deal. Then if Luke looks ready enough you can still run a really solid Graves/Nemec third pair. Hopefully by late season they'll have a better read on where Nemec/Hughes are at.

posting about 2023 d pairs in the midst of a 13 game winning streak

e: also I had no idea Reilly Smith and Brendan Smith were brothers

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Nov 22, 2022

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
New theory: after the Summer of Pierre, the Sens do not have any money left over to hire a new coach

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

bub spank posted:

New theory: after the Summer of Pierre, the Sens do not have any money left over to hire a new coach

Could be a "let the new owners figure it out" thing and let Smith be a lame duck since the season is already screwed.

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

No trade-backsies, we have Kasperi Kapanen at home (Nick Robertson) etc.

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1595101666650497025?s=20&t=CdpsnKSD3wd-JQb3DbFboQ

Oh boy we finally get a chance to look at the Leafs *consults depth chart* #11 D. Against the Devils. Can't wait to see what a guy who's slow, 5 inches shorter, and 15 pounds lighter than me can do against the NHL's best forecheck.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

T-Bone posted:

They'll still have Smith next year so a RHD signing rotating is probably unlikely unless they don't play Bahl. More likely you see Bahl/Smith rotating again I think.

The good thing about Nemec coming up next year if he does, is that he'll get the same kind of sheltered minutes/2nd PP time that Severson is getting. It's a pretty decent spot to jump into although I'm sure they'll play Smith way too much again because he's a "veteran presence." Hopefully Smith doesn't anchor him.

Luke Hughes would be getting much tougher minutes paired with Marino though, so that's why I could see them reupping Graves. That might be the best option if it's not some crazy deal. Then if Luke looks ready enough you can still run a really solid Graves/Nemec third pair. Hopefully by late season they'll have a better read on where Nemec/Hughes are at.

posting about 2023 d pairs in the midst of a 13 game winning streak

e: also I had no idea Reilly Smith and Brendan Smith were brothers

Graves is such a loving solid guy and he's what? 27? I would hate to see him walk away for nothing because they need to play a guy like Smith who just isn't very good. Severson i'm pretty sure they just let walk. He's not worth what he's going to get.

The fact that they have Marino and Siegenthaler signed for basically ever at insanely reasonable deals is just so great for the future of this team baring injuries.

mcmagic fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Nov 22, 2022

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

eXXon posted:

Also excited to find out if Rielly is really one of the worst defensive defensemen in the league as some of his fancystats suggest, in which case surely a Mete-Benn top pairing will be an improvement?

There's no question in my mind that Rielly is one of the worst defenders at actually defending, it's hard to play D when you're behind the opposing net and if anything his gap control and stick have gotten worse over his career. He's a free zone entry to anybody and he makes 2v1s harder on his goalie, combined with the usual Leafs D problem of not being able to deny any ice to opposing forwards once set up.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Ginette Reno posted:

It's amazing that the Pens continue to scratch him. What a disaster of a signing.

They are a better team without him in the line up. His PK numbers were ok, but with the bottom 6 d zone deployments he was being ask to play he was scored on constantly. The only line that was scored on *more* was the GCR combination, which they balance out with also scoring tons. Kapanen not so much. The only way he makes sense is if a team is running the 3rd line with O zone starts against lower competition. Sid/Geno, rightly so, eat the vast majority of o zone starts. Sullivan leaves the bottom 6 to 'survive' mismatches in the d zone and, ideally, get a controlled zone exit with a bit of forecheck. When the 4th line can do this it's awesome. In that role Kapanen was bad.

It would be awesome if they could get a middle 6er of comparable cap hit and maybe cycle Rust a little bit lower in the lineup. Some offense from the LD would also be nice.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

eXXon posted:

I'm going to see the Devils lose tomorrow so if you see someone in a Kaberle jersey please be assured that I am lobbying hard to bring him back out of retirement.

Rielly is loving Lidstrom compared to Faulk

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/charlieo_conn/status/1595109370052120577

everyone is deaaadddddd

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

They are a better team without him in the line up. His PK numbers were ok, but with the bottom 6 d zone deployments he was being ask to play he was scored on constantly. The only line that was scored on *more* was the GCR combination, which they balance out with also scoring tons. Kapanen not so much. The only way he makes sense is if a team is running the 3rd line with O zone starts against lower competition. Sid/Geno, rightly so, eat the vast majority of o zone starts. Sullivan leaves the bottom 6 to 'survive' mismatches in the d zone and, ideally, get a controlled zone exit with a bit of forecheck. When the 4th line can do this it's awesome. In that role Kapanen was bad.

It would be awesome if they could get a middle 6er of comparable cap hit and maybe cycle Rust a little bit lower in the lineup. Some offense from the LD would also be nice.

He should be scratched for sure. He has sucked badly. I'm just amazed at the willingness given the decision to bring him back.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

It's painfully clear management really likes him for whatever silly reason, but being in last place and your job suddenly being on the line is a hell of a shock back to reality, I imagine

(Talking more about Burke/Hextall here than Sullivan)

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Bobby Brink sounds like he retired from an indie wrestling promotion to start a career in hockey.

Zaroff
Nov 10, 2009

Nothing in the world can stop me now!

Ginette Reno posted:

I still can’t fathom why they took him and let E-Rod walk.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

They could have re-signed ERod and also brought ZAR back with money left over, for what they gave Kapanen

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

E Rod allegedly took less money and term from ??? to go to Colorado. Although Kapanen was qualified already iirc. Best hope is they can flip him for reclamation project of similar cap hit. Unless someone really really values his 'speed'

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

CBJSprague24 posted:

Bobby Brink sounds like he retired from an indie wrestling promotion to start a career in hockey.

I'm so mad he's gotten hurt a couple times now because it's such a fuckin great name lmao

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I thought Rodriguez was looking for a bigger contract and really only signed short term to Colorado once that didn't materialize. I really doubt he would have signed a 1 year/2 Million with Pittsburgh.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/FarhanLaljiTSN/status/1595138430828425216

how many more games is Boudreau gonna get?

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Jesus, what do the Phantoms even look like these days

pseudodragon
Jun 16, 2007

The 85-86 Leafs had a 22-year old defenceman named Jim Benning. It was his last full year with the Leafs before being traded to the Canucks.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Good soup! posted:

Jesus, what do the Phantoms even look like these days

Hey GS want to see something even more hilarious but also sad but also hilarious

Charlie posted:

Lukáš Sedlák got nearly a minute of power play time for the Flyers in this one, if you’re looking for a way to quantify just how injury-ravaged the Flyers are up front right now. Yes, that’s “six points in his last NHL season” Lukáš Sedlák.

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

th3t00t posted:

The players who have been through this before are starting to get that 1000 yard stare. Mittlestadt scored a goal against the Leafs last night to bring the Sabres within 3 in the 3rd and the expression on his face was that of someone who just got the news their dog died. No happiness, no excitement.

How long before Dahlin "loses his love for the game" and gets traded away for pennies on the dollar? And then goes on to win a Norris, Smythe and Cup for his new team the very next season.

This team plays almost entirely on the perimeter. They look like they're being coached to play the same game that Ralph Kreuger coached them to play. And they're getting the same results.

8 in a row.. we want 9!

The struggle is definitely wearing on them. And yeah, you’re right, they are playing a boring, predictable game instead of the high event hockey they were playing before. Might have to do with the fact that they were giving up tons of odd-man rushes in every game, so they tried to play it safe but instead they’re just getting crushed. Their Power Play is just sad, they slowly pass around the perimeter and then try to get a one-timer past the goalie. Every time. They are 32nd in the league in hits, they are playing a very soft game and getting trampled. They are just plain bad at defense, totally unaware in their own zone which leads to great chances for their opponents. Very frustrating to watch them lose their composure every game, even against lovely teams.

There’s still time for them to salvage their season but even getting Samuelsson back isn’t going to make a huge impact if the rest of the players don’t snap out of their trance. Power, Dahlin and Samuelsson are good but the other defensemen range from bad to a liability. Lyubushkin is fine, although I wish he’d hit more. Jokiharju is very bad at defense and Bryson is bad at everything. It seems like, besides Pilut, none of their depth defensemen are worth their roster slot. And it doesn’t matter how good their goalies are if the other players are giving up chance after chance.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

https://twitter.com/dalter/status/1595100647032229888

Things are fine, why do you ask? Just put your money on, I dunno, a Kerfoot hat trick. Also, just in case the game goes to OT:

https://twitter.com/jonassiegel/status/1595105496356343813

Giordano has unironically been the best D on the team so far so uh thoughts and prayers keeping up with all of the speediest early 20s forwards in the league.

Precambrian Video Games fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Nov 22, 2022

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

My Malkin reverse retro jersey arrived, it's fuckin' rad. The only problem is it's now easily the most expensive jersey I own- how do people hoot and holler and drink/eat while wearing $240 jerseys? :ohdear:

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The food also costs $240.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

DJExile posted:

Hey GS want to see something even more hilarious but also sad but also hilarious

He was a bottom 6 guy his last season Columbus, which is the season referred to, but I had to go back and look what year that actually was because he was so forgettable.

He was also the player being asked about when Jeff Rimer's cell phone went off during a presser and Torts roasted him, only in Cool Dad Torts fashion. :allears: