Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

DFB is suing FIFA at CAS lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Total Meatlove posted:

lizzies lions and the lost 26 :britain:

lol

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

Mickolution posted:

Genuine question, what do you call it?

Great Britain and Ireland.

Or the Anglo-Celtic massive.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

goatface posted:

Now I want it to be called this

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
You’re just angering the tripedal tax dodgers

ephex
Nov 4, 2007

PHWOAR CRIMINAL

Hegay posted:

DFB is suing FIFA at CAS lol

Currently they're only "considering", which in itself is another spineless response, especially after supermarket giant REWE cancelled their sponsorship deal with the DFB and Deutsche Telekom is leaning heavily on them as well.

What a shitshow all around lol.

Al-Saqr posted:

Can all the Ukraine flag Twitter shut the gently caress up how about they stop supporting Nazis before they open their loving mouths and lecture other people

lol eat my entire arse you oval office

ephex fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 22, 2022

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goatface posted:

Yeah Britain and Ireland is fine. Or vice versa

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

goatface posted:

Eh, I've always found that clunky. I've literally only ever seen anyone give complain about the term British Isles online and in the last few years. Anyway, not the place for this discussion.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

Mickolution posted:

Eh, I've always found that clunky. I've literally only ever seen anyone give complain about the term British Isles online and in the last few years. Anyway, not the place for this discussion.

By that logic you might as well call it Denmark

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Greater Normandy

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Occupied Yorkshire

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You could call them the North Atlantic Isles if you want to piss off even more people.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;
Charlie’s Angels?

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
New Saxony

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Mickolution posted:

Ireland doesnt use it, the UN doesn't use it, and IIRC even the British government doesn't use it (at least when dealing with us), so best to just not use it. Its not a human rights violation it just sounds dumb cause it's wrong and colonial

E: vvvvvvv :hmmyes:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Great Shitstain and Direland

Bland
Aug 31, 2008

Winner Of The TRP I dont actually remember the contest im pretty high right now here's your venkys tag

Or just the poo poo-ish Isles

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Failed Imagineer posted:

Ireland doesnt use it, the UN doesn't use it, and IIRC even the British government doesn't use it (at least when dealing with us), so best to just not use it. Its not a human rights violation it just sounds dumb cause it's wrong and colonial

Fair enough. I don't agree, but like I said, not the place for this.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

goatface posted:

You could call them the North Atlantic Isles if you want to piss off even more people.

Northwestern Europe

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mickolution posted:

Genuine question, what do you call it?

I would never ever use the term British Isles. I would say Ireland and the UK

Failed Imagineer posted:

basically this.

not having a go at anyone over it!

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Talk about the poo poo world cup/how poo poo Qatar is!!

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

it's poo poo OP

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

The Paedoph Isles

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
UK and Éire or vice versa could work too.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Nonces and Catholic Nonces

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

goatface posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCNG5UeKMZw

Grimson
Dec 16, 2004

german tv ratings are coming in cold and slow

Day 1

quote:

The TV ratings for yesterday's opening match between Qatar and Ecuador are in. The game, which was shown by public broadcaster ZDF, was the third-most watched program on German TV yesterday, with a viewership of 6.21 million (a share of 28.2%), losing to an episode of crime procedural Tatort which had 9.25 million viewers (29.8%). Source.

For context, the game was played by two teams that aren't exactly huge draws, but four years ago, a similar opening match (Russia - Saudi Arabia) drew 10 million viewers (a share of 52%, Source).

Also, the game was shown on a Sunday at a good time (5pm CET), so it wasn't competing directly with Tatort. At the WC in Russia, the average game without German participation had 9.3 million viewers (share of 43%; games in which Germany participates are +80%). 56 games were shown on the main channels in 2018, all of them had a higher share than this year's opening match and only 11 had less viewers (most of them due to being shown on a workday at 2:00pm) Source, p. 481.
https://www.dwdl.de/zahlenzentrale
https://www.swp.de/sport/fussball-wm/einschaltquote-wm-eroeffnungsspiel-2022-tv-zdf-67720979.html
https://www.ard-media.de/fileadmin/user_upload/media-perspektiven/pdf/2018/1018_Gerhard_Gscheidle.pdf

Day 2

quote:

So, the ratings are in and it's a disaster. USA vs Wales was the most watched game, with 4.35 million viewers at 8pm, with the two flagship news programs "Tagesschau" and "heute" taking the top spots and the direct competitor, an episode of Donna Leon's Comissario Brunetti (a weird show with German actors pretending to be Italians) coming in third (both with a share of ~16%).

For context, of the 56 games that were shown on the main channels of the 2018 WC, the lowest share had been England vs Belgium with 28% (8.01 million viewers, not counting an estimated 2.23 million at public viewing sites).

Interestingly, yesterday's England vs Iran had a similar share (28.3%, with Senegal vs Netherlands having 4.23 million viewers (23.6%). England vs Iran's 3.03 million viewers are less than the 3.79 million who watched the least watched game at the 2018 WC, Colombia vs Japan (which ran at 2pm on a Tuesday, with an additional estimated 1.23 million at public viewing sites).

Source for all 2018 numbers: https://www.ard-media.de/fileadmin/user_upload/media-perspektiven/pdf/2018/1018_Gerhard_Gscheidle.pdf, ignoring the 8 games that were only shown on small secondary channels (IIRC competing with other games in the main stations).

Source for yesterday's numbers: https://www.dwdl.de/zahlenzentrale

Tai
Mar 8, 2006
Viewing is very low in UK too

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

ITV in the UK issued a warning to shareholders during its earnings report that their advertising income would be way down. Both from expected reduced ad spend in general and also lower than usual World Cup ratings because it clashes with the usual Christmas ad period. So there wasn’t going to be a big boost to ad income like there usually is during a World Cup year.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I suspect US numbers will be decent because at least the early games overlap a holiday week.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I suspect US numbers will be decent because at least the early games overlap a holiday week.

But it’s a holiday week that’s already jam packed with sporting events including nfl games nba games and most college sports rivalry games. November conflicts with three of the countrys four most popular sports it’s just about the worst time in terms of tv competition

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Also it’s soccer.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Summer you’re only competition is baseball which is an old man sport that’s only popular in New York and New England these days. Honestly it’s the best time you’ll get.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
It's almost as the organizers didn't think this through at all

Forrest on Fire
Nov 23, 2012

Weaponized Cum posted:

It's almost as the organizers didn't think this through at all

I don't think they really care about the US audience, and they're right not to.

Not having Germany or the UK really give a poo poo is downright amazing to me.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Forrest on Fire posted:

I don't think they really care about the US audience, and they're right not to.

Not having Germany or the UK really give a poo poo is downright amazing to me.

If you're a European fan you're getting all invested and motivated for club football, then everything comes to a stop so you can watch a flagrantly bought World Cup in an unsuitable country occur, and then you have to hope that no stars get an ACL tear when the leagues restart.

It's loving dreadful.

psyer
Mar 26, 2013

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

https://twitter.com/FOXSportsPR/status/1595076741391081472
https://twitter.com/Ourand_SBJ/status/1595059426230243334
https://twitter.com/SportsTVRatings/status/1595069099461189632

ozmunkeh
Feb 28, 2008

hey guys what is happening in this thread

njsykora posted:

Also it’s soccer.

football

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
So if there was like a hard determination that corruption and underhanded poo poo happened and people were gonna get in trouble what governing body would handle that and would that put them in jail or just fined or what

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So if there was like a hard determination that corruption and underhanded poo poo happened and people were gonna get in trouble what governing body would handle that and would that put them in jail or just fined or what

Some light reading for you OP

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case