Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

crimea is, by geography, both incredibly defensible and also not on the front lines

i wouldn't read too much into this other than that defeatism is starting to seriously seep into the russian military consciousness

e; it is *possible* but straight-up letting the ukrainians back into crimea would be a complete capitulation which i don't think putin's government would survive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Zeroisanumber posted:

Iirc, the way that Ukraine was approaching the advance into Crimea meant that they would essentially outflank and make useless a bunch of Russian prepared defenses. Still strange that they'd pull out without a fight.

some of the replies saying that it's likely just to keep out of himars range

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

If the Sweeds think you aren’t talkative that’s a huge red flag.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

V. Illych L. posted:

crimea is, by geography,... incredibly defensible

The Germans in 1941 had already marched as far as east Rostov and they still wouldn't be able to take Sevastopol until about six months later, well into 1942

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Sieges of Sevastopol have historically gone really well for the attacker and I have no doubt Ukraine would make Cardigan proud.

But more to the point, whatever the Russian “Red Line” is, if they lose their Black Sea base to a nation they could extinguish if they only had the will, I don’t see how the government survives. Imagine Gibraltar being lost to the Argies.

Frosted Flake has issued a correction as of 17:22 on Nov 22, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

Sieges of Sevastopol have historically gone really well for the attacker and I have no doubt Ukraine would make Cardigan proud.

But more to the point, whatever the Russian “Red Line” is, if they lose their Black Sea base to a nation they could extinguish if they only had the will, I don’t see how the government survives. Imagine Gibraltar being lost to the Argies.

even considering how poorly the russians have been performing and how little will they have to fight, it would be shocking if they allowed a push on crimea

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I don’t think ukriane is dumb enough to invade Russia but who knows

speng31b
May 8, 2010

euphronius posted:

if russia allows it they absolutely will

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

There's a difference between Russia allowing it and the people there allowing it.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

euphronius posted:

Russia has done a poor job delineating what they consider “Russia”.

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

Chinese commies thinking they know better than the Communist Party of Russia and Ukraine is just correct

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/JayinKyiv/status/1595090607449554952

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

If there was that sort of consensus, then why not mobilize and do it properly with 700k men in two Combined and one Tank Armies, and drive deep to Lvov and Kiev from the onset?

There must be some political uncertainty reflecting the belief that it’s a bruderkrieg and that the Russian public is depoliticized and accepts liberal economics as long as there’s stability.

The US hasn't mobilized in what? 50 years? And everyone who's anyone loves wars. I don't think they are worried about people who are currently in the political system.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Yeah, I don’t really see the reasoning from available information on mass evacuation of the military at this point beyond some backroom deal we aren’t party too. This war is weird enough anything could happen but it would be very much the Kremlin making choices by fiat.

Also, while there are bridges there are also direct land connections between Crimea and the mainland which would be “unsinkable” even if there were occasionally hit with MRLS fire. It really can’t be severed in the same way as Kherson.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:57 on Nov 22, 2022

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/yungkitty404/status/1595101101744963587?t=NSI_VVAOJr6trPZp6GsHVw&s=19

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Sweden should be destroyed

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/Hromadske/status/1594753078774751234

speng31b
May 8, 2010

🤔

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Lmao

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

Does enhanced monitoring mean making sure crooked politicians never see the inside of a courtroom or?

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Crimea being taken back ensures Zelensky the presidency for life.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
If the kiev regime starts realistically threatening Crimea I think it's time for Russia to consider using nuclear weapons. In my opinion

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
servant of the people season 4 coming up with some obvious twists

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

lol ukraine is not joining the EU any time soon

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

If the EU contradicts the laws of Ukraine, then the EU should change.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy
Somehow I think the EU will make an exception so long as Kiev continues to throw open the doors to Ukraines natural resources for pillage by the west and keeps stripping workers rights and protections to provide Europe with cheap labor

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

paul_soccer12 posted:

Somehow I think the EU will make an exception so long as Kiev continues to throw open the doors to Ukraines natural resources for pillage by the west and keeps stripping workers rights and protections to provide Europe with cheap labor

why offer them the benefit of EU membership when the government of ukraine will sell out everything in exchange for some lovely aluminum artillery pieces and DRM wonder rockets

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Just things the good guys do

Jel Shaker
Apr 19, 2003

paul_soccer12 posted:

If the kiev regime starts realistically threatening Crimea I think it's time for Russia to consider using nuclear weapons. In my opinion

probably won’t work against human wave attacks on quad bikes though

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

why offer them the benefit of EU membership when the government of ukraine will sell out everything in exchange for some lovely aluminum artillery pieces and DRM wonder rockets

as we americans know, the best kind of cheap labor you can force to work in virtual slavery comes from people immigrating without any legal protections at all, also

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Yeah, the future isn’t looking bright for the Ukrainian people even if Kiev wins.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

paul_soccer12 posted:

IMHO that's an overreaction. Only if they reach Rostov.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Donrf posted:

More and more I'm reminded of "the government lives on another planet". Th
Heard a whispered, by the way, that the 500s are not over. There is a ban, there is no martial law, they come with a lawyer and in two hours it's done.
(from t.me/donrf22/9684, via tgsa)

I guess the Russian government is still playing games instead of taking it seriously, oh well.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

(from t.me/donrf22/9684, via tgsa)

I guess the Russian government is still playing games instead of taking it seriously, oh well.

That one may need some context.

Going back, I guess you could argue that Kherson was always going to be plagued with supply issues due to bombardment but it was a bit weird how during Kharkov there was almost no push back and Russian forces weren’t even close.

If they give up on the land bridge and Crimea without a fight, there has to be something we just don’t know if not can’t know.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 19:10 on Nov 22, 2022

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, the future isn’t looking bright for the Ukrainian people even if Kiev wins.

They would literally be better off if Russia just took over

PiratePrentice
Oct 29, 2022

by Hand Knit
The people of Ukraine would be infinitely better off if their government surrendered on day 1, but the welfare of regular people has literally zero impact on what the ruling class decides is going to happen

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Sure, why not.

500 is a soldier refusing to serve in the special military operation. Supposedly the majority of losses the Russian army suffered during this whole mess are all 500.

So while mobilization did start, anyone smart or wealthy enough can still duck out by getting a lawyer.

Just seems like an indication that the Russian government still doesn't want to bother the people too much with this business.

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

PiratePrentice posted:

The people of Ukraine would be infinitely better off if their government surrendered on day 1, but the welfare of regular people has literally zero impact on what the ruling class decides is going to happen

That’s not entirely true - as their understanding of the Georgia war is:

“The Georgian army held out for two days, but on the third day its lines broke and it retreated toward Tbilisi. The Russians advanced but, with the Georgian army prepared to fight for the capital, stopped short.”

The ruling class decided that risking the welfare of regular people, rather than surrendering on Day 1, was their best course of action. The ruling class dared Russia to storm Kiev and armed the populace to ensure that it would bear as high a human cost as possible. If they were only indifferent to people’s welfare they wouldn’t have actively put them in harm’s way.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Granted, I think almost all governments work in a similar manner to be honest. They are perhaps making it a bit easier than normal but there are plenty of stories from Vietnam of nurses pretty much rubber stamping evaluations. That said, Moscow just isn’t treating it like a total war…it is barely treating it like a war and even that one is a bit debatable.

I would say if the Russians were just pulling back then they would want to exit the war but they are still being growing damage to Ukraine’s infrastructure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
It's crazy how much this guy knows about Russian military movements. It's a good thing that Ukrainians can't speak Russian, or else they could really use this information