Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I thought Velma was a lesbian? Want there some big kerfuffle online about it a while back?

I mean, besides the videos I've seen for research, obviously.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

I thought Velma was a lesbian? Want there some big kerfuffle online about it a while back?

I mean, besides the videos I've seen for research, obviously.

In Mystery Inc she's pretty much bi. She has an onscreen romance with Shaggy, then an implied thing with Hotdog-water, a girl at school who's kind of a more socially awkward version of herself, nicknamed because she smells of hotdogs because her father has to recycle water at his carnival for washing due to money being tight.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminds me a bit of Gravity Falls, a few shows trying to write relationships clearly still have sitcom poisoning and/or the writers clearly have some questionable ideas about them and the expectations women have. Doesn't help that sometimes once a character is designated A Love Interest it ends up taking them over like a disease in the writers' minds.

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
I will say that She-Ra and the Princesses of Power did some amazing work about toxic relationships, platonic and otherwise.

I went into that show expecting the same 80's crap, and while it does have some Steven Universe moments (IE a serious moment is ruined with some stupid comedy) there is more than enough awesome poo poo to bypass that.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

BioEnchanted posted:

In Mystery Inc she's pretty much bi. She has an onscreen romance with Shaggy, then an implied thing with Hotdog-water, a girl at school who's kind of a more socially awkward version of herself, nicknamed because she smells of hotdogs because her father has to recycle water at his carnival for washing due to money being tight.

IIRC one of the writers said that their intent was that she was lesbian (but not totally figured out) and that this was meant to be one of the reasons it didn’t work out with Shaggy.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...
Shaggy and Scooby are in a throuple with a big sandwich.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 136: Sakura is described as 'valuable'.

Rascar Capac
Aug 31, 2016

Surprisingly nice, for an evil Inca mummy.
https://twitter.com/sapphicslike/status/1577786440351719432?t=QLKboSzTdQ9bVJsxt68YbA&s=19

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

BioEnchanted posted:

The most annoying bit is that Velma is the entire reason the relationship fell apart. Shaggy was clearly trying to make it work, then tries to be pleasant with her after breaking it off, and she's just not having it, accusing him of dumping her for a dog. First of all, the dog was there first and secondly they have a very different relationship. Shaggy isn't trying to have a romantic relationship with Scooby, scooby's just used to a certain level of attention and takes it personally when that attention is diverted, because no matter how brilliantly intelligent he is he's STILL A DOG. Velma should know better.

I am willing to be fair though and put some of the blame of Shaggy because he's kind of scared to let Scooby know because he knows him well enough to know how he'll react badly, and he should have tried harder to emotionally prepare his dog for the situation.

I always saw Scooby & Shaggy as kind of a parent-child dynamic. Scooby's smart but he can be impulsive like a kid & Shaggy is trying to protect/teach him while also being the "fun stoner dad".

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

BioEnchanted posted:

But who is the chocolate starfish?

tribbledirigible
Jul 27, 2004
I finally beat the internet. The end boss was hard.

Nameless Pete posted:

Shaggy and Scooby are in a throuple with a big sandwich.

It'll never last.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I always saw Scooby & Shaggy as kind of a parent-child dynamic. Scooby's smart but he can be impulsive like a kid & Shaggy is trying to protect/teach him while also being the "fun stoner dad".

I'm just reminded how the Brave and the Bold crossover movie had for the first time someone remember Scooby is a dog, and one who has a dog's senses but also the ability to analyse and relay information picked up from them in relatively coherent English. That someone being Batman, of course.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

The gays can take Velma and Freddie Mercury from my violet and blue lit hands.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I think we can all agree that Freddy vs Jason (2003) is almost flawless but the one blemish I notice is when the dad is killed early on he is posed on the bench next yo his son who shakes him and his head falls off and then we see Jason standing there and he kills him. It’s just not Jason’s MO to do things that way. Totally out of character moment.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
It kinda bugs me that his machete cuts through like entire people in the movie but then hits that one girl to send her sailing back into a tree after she makes fun of Freddy's tiny burnt sausage.

If she's hit that hard she should have gotten sliced as well. I hope someone got written up for that mistake.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

It kinda bugs me that his machete cuts through like entire people in the movie but then hits that one girl to send her sailing back into a tree after she makes fun of Freddy's tiny burnt sausage.

If she's hit that hard she should have gotten sliced as well. I hope someone got written up for that mistake.

Maybe he was pissed enough he hit her with the side of the blade? Bit of tenderizing before the cutting?

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
While you were learning physics, Jason studied the blade.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

ynohtna posted:

While you were learning physics, Jason studied the blade.

Wasn't he just slowly rotting underwater? Pretty sure that's what he's meant to of been doing most of the time.

Hard to practice the blade underwater. Blades gonna rust.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

oldpainless posted:

I think we can all agree that Freddy vs Jason (2003) is almost flawless but the one blemish I notice is when the dad is killed early on he is posed on the bench next yo his son who shakes him and his head falls off and then we see Jason standing there and he kills him. It’s just not Jason’s MO to do things that way. Totally out of character moment.

IIRC Jason either operates directly under Freddy's orders at that point, or is heavily influenced by him. And letting someone wake up, have a big scare, and then kill him absolutely is Freddy's MO.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

dr_rat posted:

Wasn't he just slowly rotting underwater? Pretty sure that's what he's meant to of been doing most of the time.

Hard to practice the blade underwater. Blades gonna rust.

He trained with swordfish.

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 138: It is impolite for Naruto to assume Kagero's gender. Kagero has the right to decide what pronouns are appropriate after the metamorphosis from being an ant lion to a lacewing.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Early Jason was a bit more creative with his murder implements. He used a lot of machete but he was just as likely to use anything from pitchfork to a saw to a spear or even a harpoon gun. Heck I think he probably killed more people with his bare hands than a machete in the 80s. The 21st century movies lean a bit too hard on the machete.

The golden age of Friday the 13th, and slashers in general, was when the films were just transparently vehicles for cool set pieces and gnarly special effects where they'd come up with creative ways to kill people first and then write a flimsy script around that.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Watching Barbarians S2 on Netflix. S1 ends right after the Battle of Teutoburg in 9AD and, while highly romanticised, it was cool seeing some research going into che costumes or even the usage of classic pronunciation for the Latin parts.

In the first 2ep of S2 not only we have horses with stirrups (that were not invented for about 200 years more), but one of the characters is a survivor of the razing of Carthage...from about 130 years earlier :v:

Mamkute
Sep 2, 2018
Naruto Episode 141: Carrying around oversize bolt cutters is stretching the definition of a ninja technique.

Mauser
Dec 16, 2003

How did I even get here, son?!

Mamkute posted:

Naruto Episode 141: Carrying around oversize bolt cutters is stretching the definition of a ninja technique.

Counterpoint: carrying around bolt cutters sounds like pretty standard equipment for a ninja

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
You're think a ninja could just karate chop the bolt and break it. What kinda shoddy rear end ninjas be are you guys dealing with? Even ninjas in the 80s has laser gauntlets.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

FreudianSlippers posted:

Early Jason was a bit more creative with his murder implements. He used a lot of machete but he was just as likely to use anything from pitchfork to a saw to a spear or even a harpoon gun. Heck I think he probably killed more people with his bare hands than a machete in the 80s. The 21st century movies lean a bit too hard on the machete.

The golden age of Friday the 13th, and slashers in general, was when the films were just transparently vehicles for cool set pieces and gnarly special effects where they'd come up with creative ways to kill people first and then write a flimsy script around that.

And in the 21st century slasher villains have become superheroes who need their iconic accessories.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

The ending of The Peripheral episode 7 (last Friday):

That is not how the doodad works; it's been established repeatedly that it has a charging time. gently caress

That said, I'm fine with it narratively. Great moment. Could have telegraphed it with background sound though to make it consistent.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Concerts in movies and TV shows always drive me nuts. They’re always blatant cross promotion and never resemble an actual concert. I watched an episode of Bad Sisters yesterday where two characters went to a Lizzo show. They arrived at the venue with “Juice” playing loudly and the daughter said “she’s about to go on!” even though it sounds like she’s in the middle of her biggest hit. But then the camera panned down the tunnel and you could see a DJ on stage, which means the DJ she hired to warm up the crowd is just playing the songs the audience is about to hear? Basically just Apple telling us “we did not want to actually get Lizzo to do a cameo on this Irish black comedy but stream her on Apple Music when you’re done here!”

Cowslips Warren
Oct 29, 2005

What use had they for tricks and cunning, living in the enemy's warren and paying his price?

Grimey Drawer
Is it a product of its time or me just hating cringe comedy, but The New Girl is so goddamn over the top annoying as a character and show overall? Kinda like how after House, there always had to be some rear end in a top hat know-it-all on most shows? There always has to be some quirky Hollywood-style-spectrum person but they're just shown as wacky and funny instead of a real person?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Cowslips Warren posted:

Is it a product of its time or me just hating cringe comedy, but The New Girl is so goddamn over the top annoying as a character and show overall? Kinda like how after House, there always had to be some rear end in a top hat know-it-all on most shows? There always has to be some quirky Hollywood-style-spectrum person but they're just shown as wacky and funny instead of a real person?

What I've seen of New Girl is fine but in the early 2010s Zooey Deschanel basically had a cultural reign of terror over young white women and everyone had to try being "quirky" for a minute. It was a huge boon for the ukulele industry.

Nameless Pete
May 8, 2007

Get a load of those...

Henchman of Santa posted:

Concerts in movies and TV shows always drive me nuts. They’re always blatant cross promotion and never resemble an actual concert. I watched an episode of Bad Sisters yesterday where two characters went to a Lizzo show. They arrived at the venue with “Juice” playing loudly and the daughter said “she’s about to go on!” even though it sounds like she’s in the middle of her biggest hit. But then the camera panned down the tunnel and you could see a DJ on stage, which means the DJ she hired to warm up the crowd is just playing the songs the audience is about to hear? Basically just Apple telling us “we did not want to actually get Lizzo to do a cameo on this Irish black comedy but stream her on Apple Music when you’re done here!”

Green Arrow saved a Billy Joel concert from a bomb attack using a bunch of old recycled show footage.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Concerts in movies and TV shows always drive me nuts.
Concert headliners play approximately 1.5 songs for their set, what are you talking about?

Really, though, School of Rock is maybe the only legit 1 song set movie since it's a battle of the bands situation

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

What I've seen of New Girl is fine but in the early 2010s Zooey Deschanel basically had a cultural reign of terror over young white women and everyone had to try being "quirky" for a minute. It was a huge boon for the ukulele industry.

They call it the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and it's been a thing for a long time in various incarnations but definitely reached its zenith about then.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

FFT posted:

Concert headliners play approximately 1.5 songs for their set, what are you talking about?

Really, though, School of Rock is maybe the only legit 1 song set movie since it's a battle of the bands situation

Add Cheech and Chong's Up In Smoke to the list, then. That's also a BOTB.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

FFT posted:

Bill and Ted's Bogus Journey?

Though they're up against Primus in the Battle of the Bands, with a Steve Vai cover to boot.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Counterpoint: Curtis Mayfield playing in the club in Superfly.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

FreudianSlippers posted:

100% the appeal of the final destination movies IMO.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Splicer posted:

100% the appeal of the final destination movies IMO.

The first Final Destination is quite astonishingly slow, rewatching it years later. It takes forever for the first actual kill and it all feels like an extended X files or Millennium episode (which made a lot of sense once I realised it was Glen Morgan and James Wong creating it). The sequels are a lot more what I remember the franchise being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poronty
Oct 19, 2006
a hung Aryan

Ghost Leviathan posted:

They call it the Manic Pixie Dream Girl, and it's been a thing for a long time in various incarnations but definitely reached its zenith about then.

Ya-arn!