Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

GD_American posted:

OK so it made me think and I guess it's not quite as insane as it first seemed, I looked at the list and thought of 13 better (these are in no order because gently caress that level of argument)

Alabama
USC
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Texas
Texas A&M
Clemson

If Auburn's booster base wasn't so insanely toxic and their administration so ineffectual, they'd probably jump half these schools. Top 15 right now seems about right for Auburn.

I'd drop:

Alabama, because of who you're following
Oregon, Texas A&M, Penn State for proof of concept/haven't established they can win in modern CFB
Michigan because you also haven't won anything in the playoff era and you have to play Ohio State every year

I think you can split hairs on LSU and Texas. Both have mostly the same issues as Auburn w/r/t crazy people trying to run the program.

Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, USC, and Oklahoma are the jobs I'd clearly put a tier or two above Auburn. Maybe Florida State too but I think that's in the LSU/Texas area where you're all vaguely on the same tier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ungratek
Aug 2, 2005

As I said a few weeks ago, you can win a title at Auburn. You can’t at Ole Miss. Its a step up

Glad UVA is cancelling the final game - can’t imagine the team being anywhere in the right place for it.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I pondered Florida State but they have really fell in a hole the past five years. You have a point about Texas, but the insane money pushes it slightly past Auburn. Bama is as likely a bad idea as it was to follow Osborne at Nebraska, but you can still Switzer your way into a title or two after being given the keys to that machine. Plus $$$.

LSU boosters are lovely but unlike Auburn, they can actually stay the gently caress out of the way for as long as wins keep coming. Oregon and A&M are essentially unlimited cash machines, enough so in Oregon's case to outweigh their geographic weakness. I think nothing program-wise is standing in Michigan's way from being as good as Ohio State except poor coaching hires.

Penn State is probably the job I'd put right next to Auburn as far as attractiveness, the problem not so much being boosters (unless you're an abused child trying to earn justice) as playing both Ohio State and Michigan, at least until whatever weird loving schedule the conference makes when USC and UCLA join

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'd drop:

Oregon, Texas A&M, Penn State for proof of concept/haven't established they can win in modern CFB
Michigan because you also haven't won anything in the playoff era and you have to play Ohio State every year

Oregon was one flukey play away from beating the best Auburn team in history, in the modern era. They also won a playoff game agains the defending national champs. Auburn hasn’t even made the playoffs. Their expectations are also much more reasonable.

Michigan has to play OSU every year but Auburn has to play Bama and Georgia every year and they’ll fire you if you don’t regularly win both games. Jim Harbaugh beat OSU once and Michigan immediately threw a bunch of money at him.

Penn State and A&M are more stable and don’t have issues getting talent.

quote:

I think you can split hairs on LSU and Texas. Both have mostly the same issues as Auburn w/r/t crazy people trying to run the program.

Texas is a trash fire from an admin perspective but Austin is at least a better place to live.

Every problem LSU has Auburn has the same problem, but worse. Even crazier boosters, worse schedule, fighting Bama for in state recruits. LSU has been a flat out better program in recent history.

quote:

Clemson, UGA, Ohio State, USC, and Oklahoma are the jobs I'd clearly put a tier or two above Auburn. Maybe Florida State too but I think that's in the LSU/Texas area where you're all vaguely on the same tier.

Auburn boosters getting Malzahn fired to try to install Steele in his place left a big stink on the program that’s not going to dissipate for a while. And the whole thing with Harsin being a dead man walking the minute he was hired hasn’t helped.

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."
lmao remember when the NCAA would punish athletes and programs for accepting minor gifts?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1594415301466415104

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Penisaurus Sex posted:

I'd drop:

Listen I'll poo poo on A&M as much as anyone but we won the Orange Bowl 2 years ago so we can definitely win in modern CFB

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!

Roasted Donut posted:

Gotta cram more microtransactions in

Do it like Blood Bowl and give people 5 teams with the rest as individual DLCs

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Relentlessboredomm posted:

lmao remember when the NCAA would punish athletes and programs for accepting minor gifts?

https://twitter.com/nytimes/status/1594415301466415104

Not content to overcharge for college education, now you want them to gamble away all their money too?

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Auburn is a bad job because you will get fired. You will not retire at Auburn and the only places that might hire you away are in Texas and not great longevity either.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Auburn's expectations are very high, but come without the monstrous relative strength of an Ohio State or Southern Cal. Good buyouts, though.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

LLCoolJD posted:

Auburn's expectations are very high, but come without the monstrous relative strength of an Ohio State or Southern Cal. Good buyouts, though.

I'm very terrified that UF will become Auburn (without the occasional top 10 win) if we keep firing coaches at this clip.

We don't have quite the same level of delusion as they do, but are probably in the neighborhood.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

LeeMajors posted:

I'm very terrified that UF will become Auburn (without the occasional top 10 win) if we keep firing coaches at this clip.

We don't have quite the same level of delusion as they do, but are probably in the neighborhood.

UF apparently has a crazy good machine set up for NIL. Napier seems like a doofus sometimes on gamedays, but off the field he's doing great.

It's literally the exact opposite of what I expected when we hired him. Barring some disaster, it's worth keeping him for a minimum of two more seasons just to keep building out the NIL/recruiting systems.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
As I said the other day, if he can recruit faster than he loses steam, then it might work out. I think this season would look a lot better if we had a more committed quarterback. I don't think Richardson's heart is truly in it. Even a slow, ponderous pocket QB could have run more than he did against Vanderbilt.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Auburn is a bad job because you will get fired.

Hey us Tennessee fans don't have much room to talk lately. If I take off my orange-colored glasses, I do believe Auburn and Tennessee are not that far off. Both are historically top 20 jobs that have fan bases that they think are top 5 job.

That said we are killing it in the NIL and we do seem to finally have a good coach.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Ehud posted:

UF apparently has a crazy good machine set up for NIL. Napier seems like a doofus sometimes on gamedays, but off the field he's doing great.

I'm not at all plugged in, but that does seem to be the case based on Gainesville media. Recruiting does seem to have picked up a bit this year.

Napier should get 5 or 6 years. Let him grow into the job. This year has been, uh, frustrating though.

I guess it's more that the high-turnover stink can be hard to wash off and Auburn definitely has it. They've somehow managed to be more successful than all but maybe 5 programs in the past twenty years in spite of it.

LLCoolJD posted:

As I said the other day, if he can recruit faster than he loses steam, then it might work out. I think this season would look a lot better if we had a more committed quarterback. I don't think Richardson's heart is truly in it. Even a slow, ponderous pocket QB could have run more than he did against Vanderbilt.

Richardson has as much physical talent as I've seen since Tebow or Newton, but he cannot consistently move the chains. It's his first year as a starter, so he may yet improve. I'm not sure he will stick around long enough to do so though.

And honestly with the receivers outside of Pearsall not being able to separate, I'm not sure how much good he can be anyway.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

fast cars loose anus posted:

Listen I'll poo poo on A&M as much as anyone but we won the Orange Bowl 2 years ago so we can definitely win in modern CFB

Y’all have neither claimed a national championship since before ww2, nor won a conference title since 1998. No proof of concept for being able to break into that echelon, yet.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

Two compelling storylines for me this year have been watching GT improve immediately after firing Collins, and Oregon immediately upgrade with a first time HC.

I think you can win at GT, but I wonder where they look next. I'd like to see them enjoy some success--I miss the Joe Hamilton days.

I wonder how I'd feel as a Miami fan watching them poach a guy and then the team immediately improves while your program still wallows. Must be frustrating as hell.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

After a few years of a cool-but-earnest babyface character, I'm glad we're going back to corporate heel Kiffin.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

Ah, one more!

D.N. Nation posted:

After a few years of a cool-but-earnest babyface character, I'm glad we're going back to corporate heel Kiffin.

I’m still sad we didn’t get to see him at Miami. Would have been perfect.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

GD_American posted:

as playing both Ohio State and Michigan, at least until whatever weird loving schedule the conference makes when USC and UCLA join

I'd like to point out that Michigan is less of a hurdle than it looks. The W/L under Franklin is skewed by the first couple years transitioning through the echo effects of the sanctions and the BOB era. PSU-Michigan has been evenly matched since the watershed 2016 season.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
https://twitter.com/mikerothstein/status/1595071988661649410?s=61&t=ughkcCrEYW-1IqavRuln1A

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

So thankful Brutus Buckeye will finally get compensated for his NIL

CannonFodder
Jan 26, 2001

Passion’s Wrench
Auburn is a top 5 coaching job if you’re thinking of going into politics after coaching.

You don’t even have to be good at politics!

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

I don't think Penn State, Oregon, and A&M are in the "must prove they can win in modern cfb" to be top 15 jobs. That's reserved for fallen powers like Miami and Nebraska. Penn State has gone to 3 NY6 bowls since 2016, winning two, and probably going to one this year if a team ahead of them loses, and is a legit playoff contender next two years.

Penn State is about even with Michigan competitively (as Sash noted), but still a step behind OSU. Penn State has a great fanbase and boosters that don't really interfere with the coach and resources as much as anyone else. The limitation has been administrative resistance to committing resources to build top dollar facilities and housing to compete with Georgia, OSU, and Alabama. That's starting to change with the new president and AD.

If/when Franklin leaves, I think PSU is a 10-15 ranked job that should attract top coaches to replace him.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Does "blitz" as a football term have its roots in the German "blitzkreig", or is it the other way around?

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Does "blitz" as a football term have its roots in the German "blitzkreig", or is it the other way around?

Wiki says it comes from blitzkrieg, but it's unsourced.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

General Dog posted:

hitler stole everything he knows about warfare from walter camp

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

Neil Armbong posted:

Y’all have neither claimed a national championship since before ww2, nor won a conference title since 1998. No proof of concept for being able to break into that echelon, yet.

I feel like that's too restrictive, considering the mark will now be playoffs and if it had been 12 teams in 2020 we'd have made it. That's good enough for me.

I'm also not sure I agree with the implied statement there that 1998 is not modern college football

e: also if you want to get a little trolly with it, we're clearly a top 15 job because we've proven we'll set you for life if you give us even a whiff of success

fast cars loose anus fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Nov 22, 2022

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid

General Dog posted:

Since blitz is the german word for lightning I'd bet the former. I suspect it came into English via "the blitz" on London and Americans reading media about the war at the time.

FLEXBONER
Apr 27, 2009

Esto es un infierno. Estoy en el infierno.
after firing Geoff Collins we beat two ranked teams and achieved 2 more wins than Collins ever did during his tenure even after losing multiple QBs to injury

don't let that man anywhere near your team

Rectal Placenta
Feb 25, 2011

FLEXBONER posted:

after firing Geoff Collins we beat two ranked teams and achieved 2 more wins than Collins ever did during his tenure even after losing multiple QBs to injury

don't let that man anywhere near your team

Hi, I'd like to float the idea of him taking over Alabama once Saban retires, thank you.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Sure, he helped promote the 'clean Wermacht' myth, but without picking up Heinz Guderian in Operation Paperclip, the St. Louis Cardinals would have never gotten his brilliant strategic mind, and he might have proposed using a safety to rush through the Ardennes of the offensive line to a different team, like the Soviets, or - god forbid - the Steelers.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

drunk leprechaun posted:

Since blitz is the german word for lightning I'd bet the former. I suspect it came into English via "the blitz" on London and Americans reading media about the war at the time.

Blitzkrieg was a term in English usage before the Blitz (and the Blitz was actually named for Blitzkrieg, not the other way round).

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

fast cars loose anus posted:

I feel like that's too restrictive, considering the mark will now be playoffs and if it had been 12 teams in 2020 we'd have made it. That's good enough for me.

I'm also not sure I agree with the implied statement there that 1998 is not modern college football

e: also if you want to get a little trolly with it, we're clearly a top 15 job because we've proven we'll set you for life if you give us even a whiff of success

the point is that through several eras of college football A&M has failed to win or show they can break through and that was the point of the previous list/comparison of jobs -- Auburn has won several titles so it's a school where you can do so.

i know that every year that goes on makes this close to throwing stones in a glass house as a texas fan, given the past decade of results, but UT won a title in 05 and played for another after 09.

Neil Armbong fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 22, 2022

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ii_3XLy1844

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
I guess I don’t understand what went so wrong with Sumlin. He was doing fantastic at the start, but his career has turned to poo poo ever since. What was his problem?

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Impressive how the floor just collapsed for the Vols defense. I feel real bad for Hendon, that's basically his NFL shot out the window, maybe he can be a coach and keep helping young people which seems to be what he really cares about.

VT/UVA being cancelled is fine. UVA and their team need time to heal and the game was functionally meaningless. Long offseasons for both programs, Pry has a lot to adjust, recruit over and figure out. Marve did a solid job at calling the defense though, liked seeing more engagement from the staff on the sideline vs Liberty. Also gently caress Liberty, prb didn't deserve to win, but gently caress em for exisiting, glad we finished out by beating them.

Auburn could easily be a top 10 flirting with top 5 job if the fan base and boosters weren't turbo insane. As it stands, I don't know who wants to seriously walk into that and thinks it'll go well. Almost can't blame Harsin for tanking his career for the fat buyout.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Nov 22, 2022

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug

GD_American posted:

I guess I don’t understand what went so wrong with Sumlin. He was doing fantastic at the start, but his career has turned to poo poo ever since. What was his problem?

I think he capped out his ability to coach and recruit at A&M (he was a top-20 guy consistently with occasional top tens, not a consistent top ten guy like Jimbo has been) but then, at Arizona, he just flatly failed to recruit well at all including not even bothering to recruit Bijan Robinson who was literally within walking distance of campus.

If you have an Athletic sub a good breakdown of his Arizona tenure is here

quote:

“What’s the ‘SwagCopter’?” asked Salpointe [a school literally down the road from Arizona] safety Lathan Ransom, a national top-100 prospect who is committed to Ohio State. “I’ve never heard of it.”

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

GD_American posted:

Couldn't ever replicate the magic of JFF and Mike Evans is as good of a guess as I've got. And for all of his faults there was some real magic to JFF in college that doesn't come along every day, I mean the guy rushed for 1400 yards and 21 TDs in that first season along with whatever he did chucking it up to Evans.

Remember the swagcopter? Apparently it was a hit but the people he recruited with it didn't seem to work out so well. Losing Kingsbury certainly didn't help the offense. I don't know what other assistants were helping run the show but I'd guess losing them and replacing them with the wrong guys was what got him in the end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Grittybeard posted:

Couldn't ever replicate the magic of JFF and Mike Evans is as good of a guess as I've got. And for all of his faults there was some real magic to JFF in college that doesn't come along every day, I mean the guy rushed for 1400 yards and 21 TDs in that first season along with whatever he did chucking it up to Evans.

One thing that gets a bit lost the further we get from the 2012 season is that the offensive line inherited from Mike Sherman/Jim Turner had I think 4 future NFL first-rounders on it. You can pull up some signature Manziel plays and marvel at just how much time he has to dance around in the backfield and find a place to go (the Cotton Bowl versus OU stands out in my memory). Line play declined pretty sharply over the next 3-4 years as the Sherman guys graduated out and the offense declined with it. The combination of that line with Kingsbury's offense was really lightning in a bottle.

He also seemed to have a tough time with coordinator and position hires on the offensive side of the ball- Noel Mazzone in his last year at A&M and then his first year at Arizona was especially a head-scratcher, but maybe the writing was on the wall by that point and he couldn't attract any real up-and-comers. Dave Christensen at o-line was also a disaster. Jimbo bringing in Steve Addazio for o-line is kind of a weird echo of that- both noted dickheads coming directly off a failed MWC head coaching stint.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Nov 22, 2022