Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How much longer is Twitter going to last?
A few weeks
A few months
A few years
About as long as the rest of humanity
View Results

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Dick Trauma posted:

https://twitter.com/ehananoki/status/1594768925807775744?s=20&t=aSu4tRX27qE5FQAwcEphWQ

Musk is definitely committed to making Twitter a hell site. I understand why people are trying to fight this but I don't see how they can win.

Most people I've been following are just there until something else stabilizes, waiting to see where they're friends are going, or looking forward to the end. Everyone whose not a chud has basically given up on the site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, there are basically two outcomes at this point:

-Musk succeeds in filling twitter with all the terrible people and content it's spent the last couple of years getting rid of. Everyone who isn't terrible leaves. All the terrible people yell at each other for a while, then realize there are no longer any libs to own and also leave. Throw it on the pile with the right-wing social medias mentioned upthread.

-Twitter suffers a catastrophic technical failure that goes unaddressed for a long time (days, weeks). Everyone migrates elsewhere. If the problem is ever fixed, they don't come back. Twitter is a wasteland where naught is heard but the howling of restless spirits

Any process that leads to Twitter returning to being a healthy, popular social site involves getting it out of Musk's hands, which can't happen without his cooperation, which he won't give

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

haveblue posted:

The first is particularly salient because Twitter cost Elon $44 billion dollars plus $1 billion every year and Truth Social, Gab, Parler, etc cost a fraction of that. Twitter collapsing under the weight of unrelenting chudiness is gonna be felt entirely because its so expensive to buy and maintain.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
Google+ really should have played the long game.

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

haveblue posted:

-Musk succeeds in filling twitter with all the terrible people and content it's spent the last couple of years getting rid of. Everyone who isn't terrible leaves. All the terrible people yell at each other for a while, then realize there are no longer any libs to own and also leave. Throw it on the pile with the right-wing social medias mentioned upthread.
I don't see it. Twitter engagement is driven by stupid assholes posting stupid poo poo, and then all the posters angrily refuting that stupid poo poo. No one is going to actually leave because there is suddenly a target rich environment. Except probably all the big advertisers. Unfortunately, if fox news has proven anything, it's that you can stay profitable enough with smaller advertisers who are willing to overlook that Twitter is a toilet of discourse if there are enough eyeballs transfixed on the turds circling the bowl.

haveblue posted:

-Twitter suffers a catastrophic technical failure that goes unaddressed for a long time (days, weeks). Everyone migrates elsewhere. If the problem is ever fixed, they don't come back. Twitter is a wasteland where naught is heard but the howling of restless spirits
More likely, but i expect Musk's team of "hardcore" visa slave engineers can keep propping it up with spit and duct-tape for a while as least. Maybe even long enough to stabilize the system before a significant number of them die of exhaustion.

haveblue posted:

Any process that leads to Twitter returning to being a healthy, popular social site involves getting it out of Musk's hands, which can't happen without his cooperation, which he won't give
C'mon now, Twitter has never been this.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
I am also less optimistic about Twitter's inevitable death. Unlike the right-wing spin-offs, it already has an established base of users, and for all the anecdotes we hear about people leaving for other sites, I have to imagine that at least ten times as many more people won't bother to change their lifestyle even slightly.

The money thing is an issue, theoretically, but Musk really wanted to get rid of the debt he just declares bankruptcy for the company, and it's not his problem anymore. I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but I cannot imagine a world without a billion loopholes for him to crawl out through.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Clarste posted:

The money thing is an issue, theoretically, but Musk really wanted to get rid of the debt he just declares bankruptcy for the company, and it's not his problem anymore. I'm not a bankruptcy lawyer, but I cannot imagine a world without a billion loopholes for him to crawl out through.

Yeah the fact that the bank that owns the loan is trying to offload it by any means necessary should tell you that they don’t expect a repayment at all.

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/11/11/banks-that-helped-finance-musks-twitter-purchase-field-low-bids-for-debt/

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.

Dick Trauma posted:

Musk is definitely committed to making Twitter a hell site. I understand why people are trying to fight this but I don't see how they can win.

There is nothing to win. Delete your account. Don't participate in it. You wouldn't sign up for Truth Social and participate in that, so why participate in Twitter?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Mzbundifund posted:

Yeah the fact that the bank that owns the loan is trying to offload it by any means necessary should tell you that they don’t expect a repayment at all.

https://www.marketplace.org/2022/11/11/banks-that-helped-finance-musks-twitter-purchase-field-low-bids-for-debt/

What I'm wondering is why the bank gave him the loan in the first place.

Edmund Lava
Sep 8, 2004

Hey, I'm from Brooklyn. I'm going to call myself Mr. Friendly.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

He is (was?) the richest man on earth. Someone was going to bite. Not sure how they thought Twitter was going to pay 1 billion dollars in interest a year, but I’m no finance guy.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
because they thought the puppet was going to be easy to control.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Our world is run by greedy morons.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

At this point I'm legitimately wondering if Twitter's financial situation kills it before a grievous technical mishap does. The ad sale situation has to be dire; his opening gambit was to issue a direct threat to his advertisers, and poo poo has only devolved from there.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*
There is a desperation for creativity and technological advancement, but when there is none we seem to be glad to accept scams in their place. Anything to justify the facade of infinite growth in late stage capitalism I suppose. See: the entirety of the crypto craze and the majority of Musk's offerings.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Mercury_Storm posted:

There is a desperation for creativity and technological advancement, but when there is none we seem to be glad to accept scams in their place. Anything to justify the facade of infinite growth in late stage capitalism I suppose. See: the entirety of the crypto craze and the majority of Musk's offerings.

Oh, it's even worse than that:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1594891229686366208?t=JaHzXgb_FYkn_rlqD8L2QA&s=19

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1594889523095281674?t=XEDlTR99eNIBEBlPkFt0SQ&s=19

Tesla's in a tailspin because of what Musk is doing at Twitter, causing Musk to make even more crazier decisions at Twitter, which drive the price of Tesla stock down even further, which cause Musk to make even crazier decisions at Twitter...

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
I've gotten caught up in the potential sudden death of Twitter (gently caress you, I love Twitter), but until Twitter just becomes utterly unusable or just unbearable, inertia is going to keep people from giving up on it.

I mean, I can kick and scream and yell to try as hard as I can to peel off people I know from Facebook to anything else, but they're not at all interested enough to migrate to another platform, despite their similar feelings toward Facebook.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Network effects are a hell of a drug.

I do wish there was something like early Facebook that was focused on just communication with friends and family, instead of virality. No brands or influencers, no resharing other people's posts, links to news articles and the like would be deemphasized in your news feed in favor of emphasizing your own words.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

nine-gear crow posted:

Oh, it's even worse than that:

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1594891229686366208?t=JaHzXgb_FYkn_rlqD8L2QA&s=19

https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1594889523095281674?t=XEDlTR99eNIBEBlPkFt0SQ&s=19

Tesla's in a tailspin because of what Musk is doing at Twitter, causing Musk to make even more crazier decisions at Twitter, which drive the price of Tesla stock down even further, which cause Musk to make even crazier decisions at Twitter...

Also crypto is crashing and Tesla made more money off crypto than it did cars

BRJurgis
Aug 15, 2007

Well I hear the thunder roll, I feel the cold winds blowing...
But you won't find me there, 'cause I won't go back again...
While you're on smoky roads, I'll be out in the sun...
Where the trees still grow, where they count by one...

Cicero posted:

Network effects are a hell of a drug.

I do wish there was something like early Facebook that was focused on just communication with friends and family, instead of virality. No brands or influencers, no resharing other people's posts, links to news articles and the like would be deemphasized in your news feed in favor of emphasizing your own words.

That's what Facebook seemed good for. Important conversations, density of good information, humor or good taste? Lol no. But you could keep in touch with friends and family around the world, and get info on local news and events. That's why I kept it for as long as I did anyway.

Seeing people's thoughts and reactions regarding covid, trump, propaganda, or climate was too much though. The same disinformation or empty hot takes popping up over and over, you attempt to address all of them but like a medic doing triage in a room full of victims you can only do so much.

And your attempts to refute, inform, or discuss are met with low effort trolling, a restatement of the original statement, or just completely ignored. Facebook became a lens through which many of the people I'd have to interact with were total fools, and I was the bitter smartest man in the room. Whether or not that's true ( 😉 ) I couldn't handle it and feel much better not engaging in it.

Anyway it's obvious we need the EMP from the end of Escape from LA. The more things change...

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Every day that goes by I'm more sure that Elon's fanatically loyal programmers are going to keep the engine running, and Twitter is going to be a abandoned to the alt-right. I've already removed the app from my home screen and will probably delete my account, provided Elon hasn't broken the delete account function. It's actually made my days better because I'm not wasting time on there and doomscrolling when some inevitable disaster happens.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Elon's recent outburst at Trent Reznor leaving Twitter is a repeat of his outburst at advertisers , but even more relevant to Twitter's continued existing. Celebs on Twitter was a major reason the forum became popular and if they're leaving in droves because of Trump and the toxicity means that the average user can't follow or interact with them. At least on Twitter, because you can still go in Instagram and follow them.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, while I don’t think it’s exactly wrong to say people visit twitter to get angry online, that’s not the whole picture. People also visit to read tweets from famous people whose opinions, experiences, or works they care about, and these are the people the ads are trying to reach, not the argumentative ones. You empty their timelines of Compelling Content by driving off all the non-awful celebrities, engagement drops

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

haveblue posted:

Yeah, while I don’t think it’s exactly wrong to say people visit twitter to get angry online, that’s not the whole picture. People also visit to read tweets from famous people whose opinions, experiences, or works they care about, and these are the people the ads are trying to reach, not the argumentative ones

Yeah. It's possible, even probable that Twitter limps on and is replaced by some other service like Mastodon and it just ends up being a chud haven that harasses the few decent people not bigoted to the point of belligerent douche-baggery that remain. The way Elon is embracing the most bigoted assholes to ever gently caress up the country however means that it's going to repel a lot of otherwise good people, including celebrities, professionals, influencers that aren't just in it for the attention, etc, etc. That'll do even more to turn it into a ghost town.

Kind of like facebook, but with an insecure narcissist fintech grifter running things and deflecting criticism using his botnet (dude has like a 70% bot following to manufacture consent last I checked) to pad his salty bruised ego after his wife left him for a trans woman and his daughter came out as trans. Only it'll probably be without the barest/functionally nearly non-existent safeguards that Facebook pretends to put in place to curb hate speech. If it sticks around past that it'll probably spiral further as he rips the mask off and reveals that he is an anti-democracy pro-lgbt genocide turbo CHUD and begins actively suppressing dissenters to those types, since he's shown a pretty clear pattern of lacking self control and intimated a preference for that in the past. Which will slowly but surely drive even more people off over time.

Either way, I don't see it being successful like that. Decent people don't want to deal with bigots, homophobes, transphobes, or anti democratic fascists that hate other people for what they were born as. Elon's courting them hard, and those types cannot ever be trusted to co-exist peacefully with decent people without a gently caress ton of gaslighting and abuse coming out.

The real danger is in it pushing misinformation during elections and during crises if it stays in the mainstream or even at the fringes of those decent people's awareness. Since Elon is exactly the sort of white collar crook to let that happen if he thinks it'll benefit him or hurt the groups of people he hates.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Nov 22, 2022

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

I'm in Japan, and oddly enough Twitter has IMPROVED a bit here. The Japanese content curators were fired in Musk's purge and Japanese Twitter has become a lot less political and toxic. There have been several articles about it. The Japanese Twitter staff were obviously steering content toward more political (and pro-LDP, the right wing ruler party) for years. But I still get a taste of the hellworld as all the US people are follow discuss it, wait for the end, and for some reason Musk tweets and #TSLA stock tweets from the fanboys hoping to ride Musk's coattails and become rich from him somehow still make it onto my feed...

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Tuxedo Gin posted:

I'm in Japan, and oddly enough Twitter has IMPROVED a bit here. The Japanese content curators were fired in Musk's purge and Japanese Twitter has become a lot less political and toxic. There have been several articles about it. The Japanese Twitter staff were obviously steering content toward more political (and pro-LDP, the right wing ruler party) for years. But I still get a taste of the hellworld as all the US people are follow discuss it, wait for the end, and for some reason Musk tweets and #TSLA stock tweets from the fanboys hoping to ride Musk's coattails and become rich from him somehow still make it onto my feed...

Heh, American foreign policy finally comes to the private sector; firing everyone who isn't from there and wondering why all their foreign influence is gone.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

He told investors that he would double Twitter's userbase and more than double their revenue by 2025, and then double them both again by 2028.

His pitch deck to investors claimed that by 2028, Twitter would have 931 million users and would be making $10b/yr from subscriptions, $12b/yr from advertising, and $1.3b/yr from payment processing.

For reference, last year, Twitter had 217 million users last year and made $5 billion total revenue.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
The banks were planning to sell on the debt to third parties too. They weren't planning on holding it long term. They're stuck with it now as the assets seem to be not worth as much as the bank paid for them at this point.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Star Man posted:

I've gotten caught up in the potential sudden death of Twitter (gently caress you, I love Twitter), but until Twitter just becomes utterly unusable or just unbearable, inertia is going to keep people from giving up on it.

I mean, I can kick and scream and yell to try as hard as I can to peel off people I know from Facebook to anything else, but they're not at all interested enough to migrate to another platform, despite their similar feelings toward Facebook.

I mean look at us here. These forums basically replaced the entire internet for me in 2001, I have no interest in trying to find another online community. Reddit is very much not something I like. Discord gives me anxiety and is poo poo for archiving stuff. And even though I literally just created a new facebook account a few weeks ago because I was catching way too many auto bans for leftist and queer content, that's the way I socialize. Knowing that I would lose those support networks is what's going to keep me around on facebook until it finally dies, because all the other social media platforms just don't hit the same sweet spot for me.

Basically, I understand why you folks won't leave twitter until it explodes, even if I personally, do not value it.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Artonos posted:

The banks were planning to sell on the debt to third parties too. They weren't planning on holding it long term.

Yes, what was supposed to happen was that the debt was packaged up, labeled as the debt of a stable, growing company whose tiller a steady hand is about to grasp, and put back on the market, where smaller and less risk-averse firms would buy it. Then the Delaware chancery court clown parade ended way ahead of schedule and Elon seized the company overnight and managed to make multiple horrible decisions far faster than anyone would have thought possible. The debt turned radioactive before the process completed and now nobody is so risk-tolerant as to make buying it a good idea.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 22, 2022

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Twitter’s already not paying its bills

https://twitter.com/mikeisaac/status/1595127540397449217?s=46&t=LmUy5P3_qisJme1_YNcSxA

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.
Not to detract from the clowncar that Twitter is atm, but a lot of tech companies are cutting costs right now. Hiring/travel freeze and real estate downsizing is something a lot of business (including Google, Facebook, etc) are currently undergoing.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Didn't this dickbag "convert to Islam" recently just to be obviously heavy on the haram

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.

That Italian Guy posted:

Not to detract from the clowncar that Twitter is atm, but a lot of tech companies are cutting costs right now. Hiring/travel freeze and real estate downsizing is something a lot of business (including Google, Facebook, etc) are currently undergoing.

Downsizing is not the same thing as not paying your bills

Not paying your bills is generally a huge warning sign that the business is going insolvent, or some other bad poo poo.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

He’s attempting to bully companies like Amazon and Oracle into charging him less

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1595129268883054593?s=46&t=LmUy5P3_qisJme1_YNcSxA

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

So if Musk bought twitter on a loan is it possible for banks to repo it when he doesn't pay them back?

Svaha
Oct 4, 2005

haveblue posted:

Yeah, while I don’t think it’s exactly wrong to say people visit twitter to get angry online, that’s not the whole picture. People also visit to read tweets from famous people whose opinions, experiences, or works they care about, and these are the people the ads are trying to reach, not the argumentative ones. You empty their timelines of Compelling Content by driving off all the non-awful celebrities, engagement drops
You are absolutely right. Not everyone is on the internet is there to have angry exchanges. I'd argue that the majority of people have no interest in that sort of thing at all. Further, I'd even argue that angry exchanges have value if it means that it involves piercing each other's media bubbles as twitter is somewhat successful at if you compare it to other algorithmic echo chambers like Facebook.

The problem, is that social media companies, having bought into the horrible mistake that is the attention economy (along with every other media at this point, to be fair), will always be motivated to cultivate the loudest, angriest, stupidest, most sensational, controversial poo poo. The people engaging in that may be a minority of users, but they are always the fuel that keeps the entire edifice of social media cranking along. Without them, social media companies can't exploit primal human flaws in perception to sell poo poo.

That's capitalism! if something is profitable in the short term, and no one is stopping them from doing it, corporations will do it because they are explicitly designed from the ground up to be profitable, not moral.

Look at what Musk is doing right now. It could not be more obvious. He's dumping all the most controversial underpants stains of humanity back into the system to drive engagement up. I have no doubt it's going to work in the short term, just like dumping raw toxic waste into the love canal saves money for DuPont. The reckoning will definitely come later, but not before everyone drinking the water suffers from social media brain cancer, including the people innocently wandering on the find recipes or catch up with the news.

That's the way we need to look at it. Social media is intentionally algorithmically polluting the mental environment of entire civilizations for profit. It's already wildly out of control, and it needs to end.

Cthulhumatic
May 21, 2007
Not dreaming...just turned off.

FlamingLiberal posted:

He’s attempting to bully companies like Amazon and Oracle into charging him less

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/1595129268883054593?s=46&t=LmUy5P3_qisJme1_YNcSxA

Oh my god this is ants yelling at thunderclouds.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

So if Musk bought twitter on a loan is it possible for banks to repo it when he doesn't pay them back?

In normyworld that is what happens, but Elon exists under a different set of rules.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Twitter was not the collateral for the loans used to buy it in the first place, they don't let even Elon Musk do that. The collateral was some of his other assets, most likely Tesla stock.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

haveblue posted:

Twitter was not the collateral for the loans used to buy it in the first place, they don't let even Elon Musk do that. The collateral was some of his other assets, most likely Tesla stock.

And that's the reason why he's been losing his loving mind, because Tesla's stock keeps dropping and with it, his ability to actually pay off the giant napkin IOU he bought Twitter with in the first place.