Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Ok Comboomer posted:

WRT to knob fiddling on a laptop, there's a million controllers out there at all sorts of price points and sizes--midi keyboards with knobs, controllers that are nothing but knobs, pad controllers, and so forth.

You could get V Collection or something like it and spend another $100-200 on a decent compact keyboard controller with knobs and faders. If you buy an Arturia controller it'll even profile itself to their software automatically.

Get a Minilab first. It comes with a light version of Analog Lab, which is basically a stripped-down V Collection. If you decide to upgrade to the full V Collection, they'll give you a discount for owning a piece of their hardware.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Ok Comboomer posted:

imagine posting a photograph of a dedicated cat perch and writing about the cat but then also not posting the actual cat themselves

for shame

For real, clamp-on laptop stands are irresistable to cats. You have to close that laptop or maybe put little plastic spikes on it.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

pigeon strips for cats

B33rChiller
Aug 18, 2011

Cat strips, for pigeons?
:ninja: × :catstare:

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

:catdrugs: :birddrugs: :catdrugs: :birddrugs: :catdrugs: :birddrugs: :catdrugs: :birddrugs:

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

B33rChiller posted:

Good point sig on for one poast

awww yeah, that’s a cat alright :3: :3: :3:

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

B33rChiller posted:

Good point sig on for one poast

:sickos:

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever
I find blofeld to be fantastic little synth, the modal interface is reasonably quick to move through and a continuation of Waldorf and Ensoniq style button->turn editing.
Splurge for a prophet6 though. There isn’t a better match to an epiano than a classic sounding analog poly. It doesn’t need to be deep because the sweet spots are so wide.
Deep is “” anyway. Buy a kurzweil you want to go spelunking.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
argh I was looking at Renes a couple weeks ago (v2/2018 ver) and they were everywhere

now I have money and everyone is sold out!!

there's one on reverb for $660 used, lol, not touching that. I prodded sweetwater and vintageking to see if I could get an estimate.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Saw this in one of my FB groups. Looks like a lot of work. :effort:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1bsDtDARD4

quote:

I have just been issued a patent for The Thumb Bar Controller, a new controller to replace pitch/mod wheels & joysticks (that require a second hand) and pedals! (It’s hard to do pitch with a pedal!) It is more expressive and precise for recording or performance. (This is a proof of concept/prototype. Ideally it would be made as part of the keyboard, with the arms protruding through slots on either side of the keys.)
If there is ever going to be change, it is up to players to request it from the manufacturers.

a mysterious cloak
Apr 5, 2003

Leave me alone, dad, I'm with my friends!

theratking posted:

I have room for exactly one desktop synth to live alongside my electric piano, but:
- it has to fit on the top of a Boss Katana amp
- not be too ugly for a living room
- Have at least 5-voice polyphony
- Have an arpeggiator
- Ideally have serviceable built-in effects (space is a premium)

I already have a hydrasynth which ticks almost all the boxes but it doesn't fit in my living room :( Any recs?

Waldorf Iridium

Clavavisage
Nov 12, 2011

theratking posted:

- too ugly for a living room

I've been thinking long and hard about this

I initially wanted to say the roland EG101 but I can always repaint the walls to make it work

So I really don't know, unless this is a eurorack joke that's flying over my head

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Mad Dragon posted:

Accelerometers FTW

Is there a E/N for musicians? I have an artistic blockage up my rear end and I want to talk about it with somebody.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Shameless plug. :v:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug

field balm posted:

Anyone seen any good black Friday modular deals? I'm seeing 10% off on perfect circuit, patchwerks etc but nothing out of the ordinary

Reminder that Perfect Circuit has a shitload of exclusions to their coupons now so look before you leap

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Listen, I've been around a bit, you know, and I thought I'd seen some creepy things go on in the movie business, but I really have to say this is the most disgusting thing that's ever happened to me.
Manuals, what are they for.

I finally took the time to figure out how the mother32 sequencer works. 2 years ago when I got the thing, it seemed arcane as hell to me and I struggled to remember button patterns between steps and just ran it as a voice from my beatstep.

After spending the last 3 month reading MakeNoise, Mutable, Intellijel manuals, yeesh, I dunno what my problem was. It's not the most elegant thing in the world but it works, it's easy to set ratchets and stuff, and I also figured out the setup menu to change assign and tempo settings so I can clock it with pam's (and clock pams from it, if I wanna be silly).

I need to just not buy anything else until I have read all the manuals to everything I already have again. I touch keys and buttons on the Hydrasynth all the time, dunno if I have even cracked the book open. Videos help a lot but there's something to be said for RTFM.

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Hey all, it's Dumb_Nord_Gal_69 back again with another hot problem. So I'm trying to learn synths and I dicked around with my keyboard, but it turns out, all of these keys don't work. So I'm not sure what to do there.

But my bigger problem is, this thing doesn't have a sequencer. I can manage to squeeze out some squonks and blorps, which is cool considering I don't know how to play keyboard, and it will be good to learn on.

So that is all good except my initial goal was to set a beat and a sequence and then tweak knobs, to make some kind of music. That's why I am so drawn to the Monotribe. That aspect of it looks very fun and simple as hell (you can't even change the drum sounds!).

Is that somewhere I could get with the Nord in play? Like a hardware device to plug in that adds that functionality, but simple as hell? Like Mario paint simple. And cheap hardware as opposed to software. Ok, like, comment and subscribe!

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

does it have midi in? if so your options are endless when it comes to sequencing. if not you will have a harder time

Wilkins Micawber
Jan 27, 2005

as we leave this existence
looking for another
Fallen Rib
Yes I think so. Oh and for whomstever was wondering earlier, I think it's the 16 voice one (because it seems to only have an empty hole where the memory cards would slot in)

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Yes I think so. Oh and for whomstever was wondering earlier, I think it's the 16 voice one (because it seems to only have an empty hole where the memory cards would slot in)

I think the only way to tell if it has the voice expansion card is to open it up.

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

VoodooXT posted:

I think the only way to tell if it has the voice expansion card is to open it up.

Can't you just hold 16 keys and listen for when it starts stealing voices?

But if you want to fix the keys chances are you'll have to open it up anyways. How are you with electrical stuff? If a bunch of keys are dead I'd suspect maybe a cracked trace on the board, or more unlikely bad contacts under the rubber domes. Both of these things could be tested with a multimeter, with a bit of luck though it will be more obvious what was damaged just by opening it up and looking at it.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

If I had known 6 months ago what I know now, I would have gotten a 15u 104hp custom rack for not much more than I've blown on rackbrutes and a niftycase.

This current setup is, at least in theory, more portable. For all the times I leave home to make bloops. That happened twice in 2022 before it got too cold.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Cabbages and Kings posted:

If I had known 6 months ago what I know now, I would have gotten a 15u 104hp custom rack for not much more than I've blown on rackbrutes and a niftycase.

This current setup is, at least in theory, more portable. For all the times I leave home to make bloops. That happened twice in 2022 before it got too cold.

Eurorack cases are like hermit crab shells. You'll get one and think "this is the biggest case I could need" then you'll fill it, see some module you want, and find yourself case shopping again.

My mdlrcase has been full for a while and I've got enough overflow modules that I'm trying to figure out if I want a second case or a bigger replacement case.

CatBlack
Sep 10, 2011

hello world

Cabbages and Kings posted:

lol i'm both simultaneously really happy and sad that i'm stuck with 2 rows for the foreseeable future

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

I did a thing this morning

The switch disables the internal speaker I used a foot switch cause that's all I had laying around that will fit in that spot.

Running it through some filters in VCV rack for now:devil:

Laserjet 4P
Mar 28, 2005

What does it mean?
Fun Shoe

Wilkins Micawber posted:

But my bigger problem is, this thing doesn't have a sequencer.
Is that somewhere I could get with the Nord in play? Like a hardware device to plug in that adds that functionality, but simple as hell? Like Mario paint simple. And cheap hardware as opposed to software. Ok, like, comment and subscribe!

Novation Circuit is fun as hell.

As for the keys; it sounds like you need a tech to check these out. Alternatively, get a cheap controller keyboard with 5 pin MIDI out and use that instead.

The Nord Lead 1 has 4 voices stock, so if you can play 5 notes and the first one doesn’t drop out, you have the voice expansion which increases it to 12.

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

korg sq1 is p'lly still the cheapest self contained sequencer. you can probably plug a roland um-one into your steam deck and grab a sequencer program off of steam.

there's a grip of groove boxes out there which would give you a sequencer and drum and backing tracks, but the good ones, like the rm1x, are getting kinda pricey

InternetOfTwinks
Apr 2, 2011

Coming out of my cage and I've been doing just bad
An RM1x is worth grabbing though. Man I miss my big blue box.

Sweet_Joke_Nectar
Jun 7, 2007

i'm a little shai :3

Thumposaurus posted:

The switch disables the internal speaker I used a foot switch cause that's all I had laying around that will fit in that spot.

Yesssssssss

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Voice of Labor posted:

korg sq1 is p'lly still the cheapest self contained sequencer. you can probably plug a roland um-one into your steam deck and grab a sequencer program off of steam.

there's a grip of groove boxes out there which would give you a sequencer and drum and backing tracks, but the good ones, like the rm1x, are getting kinda pricey

Why not control it from your computer anyway? Did you already say?

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

petit choux posted:

Why not control it from your computer anyway? Did you already say?

Wilkins Micawber posted:

Oh yeah I don't really have a computer-computer right now. Closest thing would be an old Chromebook that is probably dead, or my steam deck. So for now I guess this will be a computer-less affair. :)

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Doop sorry

stillvisions
Oct 15, 2014

I really should have come up with something better before spending five bucks on this.

Mad Dragon posted:

So it's a pitch bend that frees your other hand to play band-in-a-box chords...

I like this more analog take on a pitch bend with a whammy bar on a clavinet
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEQ2ia1bP0g

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

The Clavinet is my favorite module in the V Collection (NOW ON SALE AT ARTURIA.COM). I can't play worth a poo poo, but I have an expression pedal mapped to the wahwah effect and it makes neat sounds.

Cabbages and VHS
Aug 25, 2004

Thumposaurus posted:

#1) fuckin awesome dude

#2) I need to get back into hitting up thrift shops to look for cheap rear end noisemaker toys.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

:yeah:
I was messing around with it last night and have some weird work flow with it evolving using some sampler modules and treating them like a 4 track recorder.
There's a polyphonic recording module in VCV that can output multi-track recordings I can plop into reaper afterwards for tweaking.

I should probably just bite the bullet and buy the VCV pro so I can use it as a VST but :effort:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Thumposaurus posted:

I was messing around with it last night and have some weird work flow with it evolving using some sampler modules and treating them like a 4 track recorder.
There's a polyphonic recording module in VCV that can output multi-track recordings I can plop into reaper afterwards for tweaking.

I should probably just bite the bullet and buy the VCV pro so I can use it as a VST but :effort:

Get the pdArray module and record audio into it. Then you can use an lfo to scrub through that sample to make hideous glitch noises. I usually start with a rising sawtooth to play the sample at normal rates, then butcher that sawtooth with other lfos.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Thumposaurus posted:

You know I have yet to look into VCV and you guys are all crazy for it so I will.

I'm trying to get sort of a studio setup in here, it's slowly coming together but now I have to go set up my soldering station before I can make any more progress here. I've shown you lot a lot of pics of some far out gear I've assembled but haven't gotten it up and running since the move this summer. Hoping to get it banged together before Monday at the latest. Ciao

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Kind of pondering a big spend on a Virus B or C to complement my Reface DX which I’ve been grooving on a lot. At this point though if I’m spending over 1k on a synth I wonder if I should be looking at something else.

I’m leaning towards the Virus because I’ve been playing a lot with the emulator and.. frankly it’s really enjoyable, and the sounds are great. I just famously hate using software instruments and much prefer to get real knobs and buttons for the experience, and I guess I’m willing to pay somewhat of a premium for it.

So yeah, maybe there’s something to be said for doing research on what else could be good in that price range, but OTOH there is also something for just not overanalyzing it and if this instrument does everything I need right now and I don’t know what else COULD be better I don’t imagine I’d have many regrets investing in one and sleeping soundly.

I guess the only lingering question is whether a B/C is the way to go or to look at something like the TI..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

new syntakt update, adds two new engines "swarm" and "raw"

gonna check it out today

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1b3pBkIvgm8

edit, already fixes my biggest complaint, which was the lack of a 'normal'-ish application of the analog synth engine. this new 'raw' one is like a regular subtractive synth

swarm is a good pad machine, idk if it counts as a true swarm oscillator, it looks like theres about 8 oscillators going on with a blanket detune and relative level vs the 'queen' tone. pretty easy to do epic / cinematic pads with it from what i can tell

A MIRACLE fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Nov 23, 2022