Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

christmas boots posted:

IIRC the brain doesn't even store memories the way we typically assume. It's more like your brain has a list of the key information and reconstructs the whole thing when you try to remember it
You can pretty easily close your eyes and picture the place you're currently in. That basically always exists, you're just adding details when you decide to "look" at something in that construct. Like the chair you're sitting on - it exists, you may be able to describe it in a ton of detail, or not much at all, but not really until you read this sentence will you pay much attention to the underside of the seat where the legs/stem attaches.

There's a good chance you can picture that perfectly fine now too, but you're almost certainly just making it up without looking. As you said, memory works like that too. The "problem" I guess is that your brain fills in gaps as needed so incredibly easily, that it feels correct even if it's not at all correct. In the chair example, it's the same reason you can zoom in on it indefinitely in your mental image. It's simple to be down to like an electron microscope view of threads before it even begins to feel less than absolutely real.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

You can pretty easily close your eyes and picture the place you're currently in. That basically always exists, you're just adding details when you decide to "look" at something in that construct. Like the chair you're sitting on - it exists, you may be able to describe it in a ton of detail, or not much at all, but not really until you read this sentence will you pay much attention to the underside of the seat where the legs/stem attaches.

There's a good chance you can picture that perfectly fine now too, but you're almost certainly just making it up without looking. As you said, memory works like that too. The "problem" I guess is that your brain fills in gaps as needed so incredibly easily, that it feels correct even if it's not at all correct. In the chair example, it's the same reason you can zoom in on it indefinitely in your mental image. It's simple to be down to like an electron microscope view of threads before it even begins to feel less than absolutely real.

Do most people without aphantasia actually have this level of "realism" in their visualizations? I can recall the image of the room I'm in to some very low fidelity, but the instant I try to conjure a new visual it's just nothing.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

5TonsOfFlax posted:

Do most people without aphantasia actually have this level of "realism" in their visualizations? I can recall the image of the room I'm in to some very low fidelity, but the instant I try to conjure a new visual it's just nothing.
Im saying that “very low fidelity” is not pixelated or filled with voids. If you imagine any object there it’s not some amorphous blob. What you picture might not be correct but at no point do you close your eyes and think “what the gently caress am i sitting on? a couple lines? blank space with wheels??”.

It’s only low fidelity in the sense that the details aren’t really there until you need them, like some far away geometry in a video game. Unlike a video game it works more like AI where it will fill in gaps that get deeper the more you look at them.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 22:08 on Oct 7, 2022

5TonsOfFlax
Aug 31, 2001

SLOSifl posted:

It’s only low fidelity in the sense that the details aren’t really there until you need them, like some far away geometry in a video game. Unlike a video game it works more like AI where it will fill in gaps that get deeper the more you look at them.

Nah, the details never show up for me, in a visual sense. For me, if I get a visual, I know it's a memory. Because I can't conjure any on my own. I am _excellent_ at finding/remembering where something is in the house because if I get a visual of it, I saw it there. But I cannot, for instance, picture my wife's face. I _can_ remember particular pictures of her, but if I try to concentrate on any visual details, or alter it in any way it goes away.

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

Yeah, same; I can kind of picture, like certain details of arbitrary things, like an elephant, but I can't in any sense picture or 'see' just, like, an elephant, or my SO of ten years' face, very well at all.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
sounds like you two need more brain ram, brain cpu and a better videocard.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Human memory is pretty frail, not just remembering incorrect things, but decay, the construction of arbittary memories, and social influences on such false memories. The fun part of Mandela Effect stuff is an awareness of this and the social function of correcting memories with empirical evidence in a space where everyone acknowledges stuff like this happens to everyone.

The crazy people literally believe it's more likely they unknowingly traveled through dimensions to one almost completely identical, than that they just didn't remember a logo right or misspelled a word.

A lot of people just straight-up think their brain is a hard drive and their eyes are cameras, and therefore if they see something that doesn't match up it can't be mis-remembering, it's gotta be ~spooky alternate universes~ or something. Brian Dunning (of Skeptoid fame) did a really good bit that can prove this in a Modern Rogue video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS8dIRE0S3E&t=400s

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I was looking at a list of movie quotes and I saw the quote from Mrs Doubtfire was 'It was a run-by fruiting.' I though huh, I was positive it was drive by fruiting, and I looked it up and sure enough there is a page on the Mandela reddit about it.

Its one of those that makes sense though, I guess it's a play on drive by fruiting, but when you're not actually watching the film with someone running it makes sense to change it to drive. Im sure I've heard people misquote it as drive-by as well, quoted on Comedy Bang Bang and in general in pop culture.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.
drive by is a way more common turn of phrase

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Tunicate posted:

The berenstein/stain thing at least has resulted in people finding official products with both spellings, at which point it is less misremembering and more inconsistent branding.

An unsatisfying answer to anyone who actually believes this poo poo and further proof that there was, indeed, a conspiracy or a schism

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Does the shoe company that showed Kanye West the door this week have a ‘t’ in its name?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Platystemon posted:

Does the shoe company that showed Kanye West the door this week have a ‘t’ in its name?

I did think this until that story dropped.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

That one I know didn't mysteriously change, because my first memory of the brand name is thinking "that looks so weird, why isn't there a t in it?"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I want to see what a palæoartist would make of this weirdo’s skeleton.

“Turn on your monitor.”

Way too many Redditors concur on this one.

Platystemon has a new favorite as of 14:12 on Nov 16, 2022

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
hell yeah, new skulls just dropped.

I've sculpted a lot of skulls and I never noticed the [looks up "chin holes"] mental foramina before, even though they're present on my model.

my takeaway is that I'm sometimes not terribly observant even when I'm studying something.

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Some people in the comments list the holes in the ocular bones as being new. How... how did they think ocular nerves connect?

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
This...this is literally just Halloween decorations aren't anatomically correct, right? :psyduck:

TheHomerTax
Dec 26, 2012

That's a high quality avatar right there.

John Murdoch posted:

This...this is literally just Halloween decorations aren't anatomically correct, right? :psyduck:

Ding ding ding tell him what he’s won Johnny

MokBa
Jun 8, 2006

If you see something suspicious, bomb it!

"These old cartoons came from the same dimension I did. See how different the skeletons in them are compared to now!"

Hedningen
May 4, 2013

Enough sideburns to last a lifetime.
“Hmm, is the version of the skeleton where the ribcage is pointy, curving inwards, and apparently designed to impale organs wrong, or is it a vast inter-dimensional conspiracy?”

Agreed on the sculpting skeletons leading to bits that you don’t necessarily know the names of, but which have to be there to make sense. I can never remember the name of all the hip and pelvis bits, or necessarily point them out, but drat if they aren’t there in stuff that looks good.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I do kinda want to see an artist's reconstruction of the face of the spirit halloween skeleton

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

lmao at one of the rules

DO NOT TELL ANYONE THEY ARE WRONG ABOUT WHAT THEY REMEMBER.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
i like how the lovely parallel universe bones doesnt seem to have real ball sockets. like even with muscles on it it wouldnt move or stay in place

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Ror posted:

lmao at one of the rules

DO NOT TELL ANYONE THEY ARE WRONG ABOUT WHAT THEY REMEMBER.

It’s a really sad place. I clicked on the list of top posts for the last month because I came to the place via Google and was like “what?”. Here are a few:

quote:

anyone else remember when the sky was beautiful? (self.Retconned)

i remember looking up and seeing a royal blue sky, sometimes with fluffy white clouds. now it just looks fake. maybe i’m just crazy lol. i miss the deep blue so much.

quote:

anyone feeling funny since sunday? (self.Retconned)

Anyone else feeling lifeless the past couple days? Not just regular lifeless like the past couple years, but like more lifeless than usual. Like a energetic lifeless feeling? Or is it just me.

quote:

We are existing not living (self.Retconned)

Nostalgia of 40s and 50s movies is the only realistic life we know of. Watching the movies of this era lets us know what we are missing. But there is no going back,We have to endure the current robotic reality.

quote:

All the flip flops are driving me crazy! Makes me wonder if one day I’m going to wake up and be back home with my stbx spouse and have to go thru the separation/divorce again. Are our lives flip flopping too? Anyone think they experienced something like this in their personal life? (self.Retconned)

Uhhhh I think that there are some doctors who can help with some of these things.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Platystemon posted:

It’s a really sad place. I clicked on the list of top posts for the last month because I came to the place via Google and was like “what?”. Here are a few:

quote:

anyone else remember when the sky was beautiful? (self.Retconned)

i remember looking up and seeing a royal blue sky, sometimes with fluffy white clouds. now it just looks fake. maybe i’m just crazy lol. i miss the deep blue so much.

Oh god, I can't stand sky conspiracy people. Something about them just drives me up the wall, like they've just decided that weird sky pictures from the internet are enough to live on, and going outside and looking at the same sky that everyone in the world can see is not worth bothering with.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
e^ same but for flatearth poo poo and other tinhat poo poo. like flat earther. like stone age semi civs all knew that the earth wasnt flat and yet these modern people chose the wrong conclusion somehow for reasons.

Platystemon posted:

Uhhhh I think that there are some doctors who can help with some of these things.

so if they didnt have the vocab of modern science, would they just be blaming demons, ghosts, and gods/God/satan?

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
double post oops dont late night drink post/read

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

"Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear"

I vaguely remember making fun of the "may be" wording with family. Turns out it always said "are closer". Huh.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Both are incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPMv9zJ1LE

Also, lol at how many people think the symptoms of clinical depression are proof that the entire universe has changed around them

A melancholy lol but a lol nonetheless

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Heran Bago posted:

"Objects in mirror may be closer than they appear"

I vaguely remember making fun of the "may be" wording with family. Turns out it always said "are closer". Huh.

Meatloaf had a hit song in the 90s with the 'may appear closer than they are' language so that's the source of a lot of that.

Bodyholes
Jun 30, 2005

I treat the Mandela effect as a bit of fun to joke about but obviously mass miss-remembering.

Anyway the version of the Matrix I originally saw in my home universe had Neo's guns dropping toy jacks along with casings in the lobby shootout scene. I interpreted it as an expression of the surreal nature of the Matrix, and Neo's increasing power to bend this reality. No mention of this alternate version exists anywhere on the internet.

I think my brain took the helicopter scene, misinterpreted that as jacks falling from the gatling gun, and then smushed it into the lobby scene somehow. Or maybe I live in the matrix. Maybe both.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Isn’t one of the kids at the Oracle’s apartment playing with jacks? Maybe that’s where you got it from.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

flavor.flv posted:

Both are incorrect

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3jPMv9zJ1LE

Also, lol at how many people think the symptoms of clinical depression are proof that the entire universe has changed around them

A melancholy lol but a lol nonetheless

A lot of people will do anything to avoid going to therapy or admitting they have a mental illness. /r/mandellaeffect and /r/glitchinthematrix are prime places for this kind of weirdness.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Bodyholes posted:

I treat the Mandela effect as a bit of fun to joke about but obviously mass miss-remembering.

Anyway the version of the Matrix I originally saw in my home universe had Neo's guns dropping toy jacks along with casings in the lobby shootout scene. I interpreted it as an expression of the surreal nature of the Matrix, and Neo's increasing power to bend this reality. No mention of this alternate version exists anywhere on the internet.

I think my brain took the helicopter scene, misinterpreted that as jacks falling from the gatling gun, and then smushed it into the lobby scene somehow. Or maybe I live in the matrix. Maybe both.

Yeah, I think your jacks are probably the links from the belt-fed minigun on the helicopter.

I just watched through the lobby scene and everything they used was vertical magazine-fed, so nothing other than empty brass falling.

To be fair to you though, that whole movie was full of clips of brass raining down and I definitely get them mixed up.

HenryJLittlefinger has a new favorite as of 20:19 on Nov 22, 2022

Phyzzle
Jan 26, 2008
My brother and I remember the Karate Kid part II starting with Mr. Miyagi palm-slapping nails into boards when doing home repairs. Later, it was just a hammer. I figured they went with a less insane cut after the theatrical release, but apparently we imagined it.

AKA Pseudonym
May 16, 2004

A dashing and sophisticated young man
Doctor Rope

Platystemon posted:

Makes me wonder how much dissociative disorders could be behind conspiracy thinking in general. If everything around seems fake for some unidentifiable reason it's probably very easy to believe some hidden power is obscuring the actually real reality.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

Makes me wonder how much dissociative disorders could be behind conspiracy thinking in general. If everything around seems fake for some unidentifiable reason it's probably very easy to believe some hidden power is obscuring the actually real reality.

It's absolutely a thing; beyond that, it's just a feeling we get sometimes, because the world is a weird place and everything doesn't slot perfectly into where it should.

I remember once in college I was popping over to the convinience store just off-campus late one night in late fall or early winter, and the combination of the fog, overhead lighting for the parking lot, and the, for lack of a better word, "liminal" feeling of an empty and quiet parking lot that's normally busy gave me a flash of "This isn't real, this is a stage play" that a lot of people describe in Depersonalization-Derealization. It was over in a flash and everything snapped back into place, but I can imagine if that became your reality it would be terrifying rather than just a silly tale to share when I got back from getting cigarettes and junk food.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

it's no less unsettling when you know it's a PTSD thing, but at least with that insight you can learn to cope with it

Quid
Jul 19, 2006
It's amazing the lengths they'll go to avoid admitting they could be wrong. I broke my leg as a kid and growing up I had a vivid memory of looking down at it in the emergency room to see it was vivid blue and I could see the bones. Not poking through the skin but the entire layout under the skin.

Then I saw an xray once I was a bit older and realized I was combining the memory of the hospital and the xray of my leg. I didn't double down and insist the universe conspired against my memory to change itself for reasons. Kind of beginning to think I missed out on an opportunity to make myself the main character.

Quid has a new favorite as of 19:52 on Nov 24, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Phyzzle posted:

My brother and I remember the Karate Kid part II starting with Mr. Miyagi palm-slapping nails into boards when doing home repairs. Later, it was just a hammer. I figured they went with a less insane cut after the theatrical release, but apparently we imagined it.

There was another martial arts/action movie released near the same time that is getting peanut butter in your chocolate.