Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I'm not blaming ogryn players, it's just a design choice to have one character be 3 times bigger than everyone else and then allowing teams to have more than 1 of the same said character when the maps have a lot of tight corridors.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

republic
Aug 15, 2004

FUN FOR THE FUN GOD
FRIENDS FOR THE FRIENDSHIP THRONE

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think if everyone muted the music for a few matches they would probably drop the game for awhile, it carries it real hard.

I was noticing this during the climax of the prison assassination mission last night. It goes fierce as gently caress. Looking forward to checking out the rest of it.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I think if everyone muted the music for a few matches they would probably drop the game for awhile, it carries it real hard.

By the way, patch didn't mention it but it did bring in the smelter map.

The music is really good.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Here's an annoying this about the current bar system: Which one of these do you think do the most damage per shot?

Answer: It's the second one, almost 20% more.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Broken Cog posted:

Here's an annoying this about the current bar system: Which one of these do you think do the most damage per shot?

That sucks.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Imagine making tooltips for guns and not including base fire rate, even if it was a bar

Orv
May 4, 2011
The dregs will occasionally start chanting “Rise!” In this really weird intonation as they’re rushing you and it’s in a way creepier than any horror game I’ve played. Cool stuff.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Broken Cog posted:

What? How?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
The bar graphs are supposed to show how different it is from the base stats of the gun, the problem is they never tell you what the base stats are supposed to be or how you are supposed to figure out the difference between a Kantrael MG IV and a Ia infantry lasgun (which the game considers different games for the sake of the bar graphs), the patch notes said they are aware of this and will change it after release, but jeeze they are blind when it comes to basic usability.

On another note, tried the combat shotgun on a level 15ish veteran, did not really like it, I heard in the closed beta the shotgun was like a real shotgun and could snipe while punching through the horde, but seems since then they turned it into a videogame shotgun and you'll tickle anything beyond a melee range meatshot, I just had to sit back and let the teammates clear crowds of gunners and on higher difficulties crowds of gunners are very common in every room.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
I wasn't really paying attention to the medicae dialog until it was discussed here and man is it grim.

After the last medicae heal is used up the servo goes "I have no purpose, I have no purpose..."

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Broken Cog posted:

This poo poo is confusing but I understand what the devs did. Those are 2 different lasgun types, so they don't share base stats. So you can infer that the la Infantry variant does more base damage than the IV Infantry variant, so even on the 25 percentile of damage this gun does more.

Its stupid because you are often trying to compare different marks or entirely different weapons and theres virtually no way to know what the actual difference is.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

On another note, tried the combat shotgun on a level 15ish veteran, did not really like it, I heard in the closed beta the shotgun was like a real shotgun and could snipe while punching through the horde, but seems since then they turned it into a videogame shotgun and you'll tickle anything beyond a melee range meatshot, I just had to sit back and let the teammates clear crowds of gunners and on higher difficulties crowds of gunners are very common in every room.

I know it’s not very shotgun like but you have to click heads with it. Doing that still reliably one-shots many specials at long, long ranges.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Jimbot posted:

What? How?

the bars only compare between guns of the same exact type. the 2 gibberish letter and numbers in the center of the name there? that means they're two different types of gun.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

apostateCourier posted:

Get the gently caress out of the way, 99% of the time there is room for you to do so.

No, coward

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

Orv posted:

The dregs will occasionally start chanting “Rise!” In this really weird intonation as they’re rushing you and it’s in a way creepier than any horror game I’ve played. Cool stuff.

The creepiest is when they start singing some kind children rhyme about Nurgle, "...boils, blisters, and bursting pimples'..." :barf:

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

S.J. posted:

No, coward

The complaints I read from people about Ogryn makes me think most vets have never switched to melee and don't know how to dodge melee attacks to avoid getting murdered. You can't just stand still off to the side while in melee.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

You should just be able to test vendor items on the enemies before buying it.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

I'd enjoy some kind of tourist mode so I could just wander around the map and look at all the details and the backdrops, which is hard to do when my face is getting caved in by two maulers.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

KPC_Mammon posted:

The complaints I read from people about Ogryn makes me think most vets have never switched to melee and don't know how to dodge melee attacks to avoid getting murdered. You can't just stand still off to the side while in melee.

Veterans make me face palm a lot in general because they'll roll around wasting ammo in random groups of one to 5 mooks they could easily smoke in melee by themselves and then complain about ammo. I have met maybe a handful of legitimately good vet players so far and it's easy to tell because they don't waste ammo or complain about LoS while I'm soloing an entire horde and just jump in with their shovel.

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

Vets are encouraged to stick to ranged despite this very much still beint a game about melee with half the classes basically being melee focused meaning you'll have plenty of friendly fire from bad pubs.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

S.J. posted:

Veterans make me face palm a lot in general because they'll roll around wasting ammo in random groups of one to 5 mooks they could easily smoke in melee by themselves and then complain about ammo. I have met maybe a handful of legitimately good vet players so far and it's easy to tell because they don't waste ammo or complain about LoS while I'm soloing an entire horde and just jump in with their shovel.

But muh gunz. I is the shooty? Hows that shovel work tho?

Sharpshooter is the new elf. I've literally seen pug sharpshooter that will not ever switch off the lasgun, even if completely mobbed.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 20:38 on Nov 22, 2022

haldolium
Oct 22, 2016

S.J. posted:

nah it's completely fine to do that if you have that much ammo and can properly headshot.

also keep in mind there are a lot of weekly challenges that require huge amount of ranged kills of certain enemies.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

I actually find myself becoming zen quite a bit in this game and just standing, waiting, while the rest of my team sidestep about unloading all their ammo in to a horde a mile away.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

haldolium posted:

nah it's completely fine to do that if you have that much ammo and can properly headshot.

also keep in mind there are a lot of weekly challenges that require huge amount of ranged kills of certain enemies.

I'm aware, those are extremely easy to get. I literally did two different ones in a few hours last night. I don't care that they're shooting, that was not the complaint.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

CuddleCryptid posted:

It's kind of weird that it doesn't do the DRG of having the team respawn together alone in the hub either. Instead you get a bunch of randoms and chat is kind of pointless.

I get they want to give the impression that there are a lot of soldiers on the ship but you can't actually do anything with anyone so?

The team returns to the hub together, can confirm it. Even if you have a random player it will put them in the hub with your friends.

Sharkopath fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Nov 22, 2022

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA
So since this is a pre-order beta, can I make a refund request on it, even if I've passed the 4 hour refund mark?

Tired of trying to get this to run and don't think it will end up working, by release.

Orv
May 4, 2011
That should be the case, yes.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

Honestly have not been impressed at all by any Accatran I've pulled. I have tried 2 Mk VI d accatran's, and one with a 91 round mag and it just took sooooooooo long to kill any specials or elites. The iron sights on it suck rear end too.

Guns I've liked as Veteran:

Bolter
Kantrael pattern lasgun
Columnus braced autogun

Mid guns
Accatran

Did not enjoy
Revolver
Other autogun

Not tried
Lucius pattern lasgun
shotgun

The Kantrael would reliably like 2 shot elites/specials with headshots especially in Volley and it just felt like I had to hold down the accatran hose on them for much longer to get the same thing accomplished. Was nicer for hosing down ranged normal baddies but honestly being good at that doesnt feel fun (maybe its necessary in later difficulties)

The accatran I have now has bonus damage for being up close and it still didnt shred elites/specials near me.

Yeah I dont even have one with any special talents on it, it just reliably 3 shots any flak armored guys. Cutting through a massive wave of 20 shooters and their 3 gunner supports on a single magazine very much justifies the tradeoff in damage i think. It melts maulers fast and has the accuracy to vaporize snipers with like 2 rounds from everywhere. Maybe mine just has way better rolls than yours. I got off the bolter because it felt too uncomfortable conpared to the VId.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

And yeah I'd say as a veteran with a balanced team sometimes more important than sniping specials is normal shooter supression because the squads get huge and once your shield is gone they can stunlock the whole team.

Accatran is a great lmg because it has the firerate and ammo to supress huge squads and kill them accurately at the same time, even when youre suprresed it probaboy has the best chance of counterkilling a gunner locking you down.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

I would use the bolter if it had a larger mag size. The 15 round mag is way too small, although I need to try it now that I have the reload when I use volley fire when things really get hairy.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Legit Businessman posted:

I would use the bolter if it had a larger mag size. The 15 round mag is way too small, although I need to try it now that I have the reload when I use volley fire when things really get hairy.

I think its a good balance at least, its great but the drawbacks feel fair, it doesnt overshadow other options as bad as say the power sword and double handed chainsword do.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Re veterans wasting ammo, genuinely I only ever pull it out for elites, specials, and shooters, i feel like gunner needs ammo pickups the least out of the classes if you do that, and youre good enough in melee normal hordes dont need gunfire to deal with.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Sharkopath posted:

Re veterans wasting ammo, genuinely I only ever pull it out for elites, specials, and shooters, i feel like gunner needs ammo pickups the least out of the classes if you do that, and youre good enough in melee normal hordes dont need gunfire to deal with.

Agreed

Back Hack
Jan 17, 2010

S.J. posted:

I'm aware, those are extremely easy to get. I literally did two different ones in a few hours last night. I don't care that they're shooting, that was not the complaint.

S.J. posted:

I'm sorry, but if blazing away at hordes of enemies with an auto-gun or lasrifle is wrong then I don't want to be right.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
why can't they just put a repair mission into the rotation. I want the stupid imperial guard helmet.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Sharkopath posted:

And yeah I'd say as a veteran with a balanced team sometimes more important than sniping specials is normal shooter supression because the squads get huge and once your shield is gone they can stunlock the whole team.

Yeah, this is huge for both range and melee. Stopping bad dudes from shooting you and your team is super important, whether that's by engaging in melee or suppressing them. I think it's one of the main skills newbies are going to have to learn.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

Depends on the weapon and the rest of your team too. The laser machine gun hits hard enough and has enough ammo to be useful clearing hordes, I've had veterans use it during horde events in wide open areas to basically handle a horde on their own

Honestly I'd rather they do that, I can pop all the special heads between brain burst and a rifle just fine

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Question about the level 30 cutscene: Were we supposed to know who the other character at the ceremony was?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
"I solo da entire horde", says the Ogryn, knocking down a half dozen pox walkers with a charge.

"I'm da biggest!", Shouts the Ogryn, as his teammates follow behind him and kill the five enemies he charged but did not kill, because charge does not kill the enemies it knocks down.

"I'm da best!", the Ogryn calls over his shoulder, oblivious.

(Seeing an Ogryn charge through a legitimate wall of pox walkers IS one of Darktide's better spectacles.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I already have a somewhat concerning amount of hours in the game, but I have yet to see a single special marked (except the 1-2 times I had a Veteran with the "Ultimate spots for the whole team" feat).

Has anybody actually seen another party member's special mark outside of a stack? Because while my expectations for matchmaking a low, it feels more like it might legitimately be bugged.