Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scromit Comet
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Arven is kind of a dork, and I am here for it.

when I first met him I thought he'd suck because he came off as another Gladion type but way too old for the 'angsty maybe genuinely traumatized teenager' act to be kinda endearing but as soon as I started the titan quest with him I realized he's just a giant nerd who was trying to sound cool and loved him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I haven't finished getting the badges and stuff but I did all the titan spots and Arvens story is my fav so far

Wile E. Toyota
Jul 18, 2008

Under no circumstances should you be proud of someone for wearing flip-flops.

Mesadoram posted:

It is seriously amazing, it is honestly just making the experience just that much more magical.

My three favorite so far:

Nemona's Theme (not the battle theme just the regular one)
The Schools Theme (I think it is just the city's theme but I forget :smith:)
Team Star Boss Battle Music

Can't remember what the area below is called, but the music here is my favorite so far. It made me go "oh poo poo!" as soon as it started. Those country rear end beats were bangin, especially during battles.

That said, I've found that I generally enjoy the music more when I'm not on Koraidon. The bombastic nature of his themes makes all the music sound more samey, so sometimes I go on foot just to hear the regular theme of an area. I like all the music though (except the tera gym theme; screw that SwSh chanting bullshit imo.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The sports chanting really doesn't work when there's like...three people watching the fight

At the same time, turning the music off lets you hear the various sound effects, like the sarcastic "woooow" when a Pokemon faints, or the awkward clapping from the few NPCs watching the fight, and the tinkly Tera effects on Flying-types when they flap their wings

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

How does this game look run and feel worse than arceus which came out… 10 months ago

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

Vinylshadow posted:

The sports chanting really doesn't work when there's like...three people watching the fight

The sports chanting doesn't really work when the X-type Gym leader Terastilizes their final, non-X-type pokemon to be X-type, the type you've been sweeping with a single pokemon all fight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Scromit Comet posted:

when I first met him I thought he'd suck because he came off as another Gladion type but way too old for the 'angsty maybe genuinely traumatized teenager' act to be kinda endearing but as soon as I started the titan quest with him I realized he's just a giant nerd who was trying to sound cool and loved him.

And he becomes more sympathetic with each Titan, poor guy just wants to help his dog

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Anyone else have an issue with being really underlevelled at the end?

It's my own fault for mostly Bee-lining gyms/bases towards the end of the main part of the game, but even after doing some grinding and making sure I got all the Pokemon league trainer rewards in higher end zones, I'm still behind the curve going into the E4.

I guess that's just what happens when there're no mandatory trainer fights or random encounters.

Larryb posted:

And he becomes more sympathetic with each Titan, poor guy just wants to help his dog

I was entirely sure he was going to have the opposite box art legendary

Once his real motivation came out, I was on board with him 100%

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Vinylshadow posted:

At the same time, turning the music off lets you hear the various sound effects, like the sarcastic "woooow" when a Pokemon faints, or the awkward clapping from the few NPCs watching the fight, and the tinkly Tera effects on Flying-types when they flap their wings

It also doesn't feel like a sports chant as much as the SwSh one did. It's too melodic.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

How does this game look run and feel worse than arceus which came out… 10 months ago

pokemon: now with textures! battle system intact again!

sacrifices include: dramatically less clothing options, shadows that flicker and pop-in, a new white bar/line that appears on the left side of the screen when you press A to proceed dialogue while the camera is panning (missingno cousin?)... and so much more!

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

i do like the in-game reason for the uniforms that's only found in one of the random books of the library. it's essentially 'you can wear whatever accessories you want and do whatever you want with your hair as long as you leave your uniform unmodified' which does make sense but uhh probably should have been in a more obvious place.

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

The power creep is extremely real lol. The ancient/future Pokémon are crazy good and the speed tiers on these mons is nuts. You basically have to have priority to revenge kill these guys as they can laugh in the face of most scarfers and kill them.

Wasn’t expecting to be worried about matching up against misdreavus and delibird variants going into this.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Splash Attack posted:

i do like the in-game reason for the uniforms that's only found in one of the random books of the library. it's essentially 'you can wear whatever accessories you want and do whatever you want with your hair as long as you leave your uniform unmodified' which does make sense but uhh probably should have been in a more obvious place.

The fact that the 30, 40, and 50 year old NPCs are also students wearing the same uniform makes me think they just ran out of time

Man I like Pokémon and I liked sword and shield but this feels like it’s not even close to a beta

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum

The fact that the 30, 40, and 50 year old NPCs are also students wearing the same uniform makes me think they just ran out of time

Man I like Pokémon and I liked sword and shield but this feels like it’s not even close to a beta

I think those forever-students are hilarious but I suppose if I stop to think beyond how funny/sad it is I would realize that none of those adult students can be seen on school grounds.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

It’s def way more finished than a beta lol.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

It's never too late to take up pokemon courses!

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I feel like the Director should run a Star-gang for the older students....

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

Also why did they not bring back the NPC to reset EVs. It makes you consign your level up dudes to the box or spend hours searching for little gold sparkles to pick up EV reset berries... kinda bad!

I liked being able to take a levelled up guy and make him competitively useful relatively easily. You could fix lovely EVs, IVs, natures, and abilities without too much effort :(

Oh well. I got super lucky with a 4 IV imposter ditto I found randomly in a crystal thingie so I can breed up some fresh ones pretty easy.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

I was weak when I ran into a clearly older man, without realizing what he was wearing until the close up and getting whacked with "Student (whatever his name was)". As someone who was previously a returning student considerably older than many of my classmates (not nearly that much older, though), I thought it was neat.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

I would say it feels a lot like a beta. Just needs some cleanup and optimisation passes.

I am at peace with the uniforms but then in the UK most school kids do wear uniforms and with less room to personalise than this, even. Still miss my fashions.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for the massive beta Scarlet/Violet leak in a few years with a stable build, more elements like being able to stealth-catch from PLA, and earlier Paradox Pokemon in the overworld :allears:

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

Lux Animus posted:

The sports chanting doesn't really work when the X-type Gym leader Terastilizes their final, non-X-type pokemon to be X-type, the type you've been sweeping with a single pokemon all fight.

I thought the same thing, it mainly worked in Sword and Shield because they doubled their Pokémon’s HP so there was a chance for some back and forth, here they are down in one hit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

There's a ton of NPCs that aren't wearing the uniform and probably a greater overall npc model variety than sword/shield so I don't think that has anything to do with anything other than a deliberate choice

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

The chanting also works better when the fight is in....you know...a stadium. With a crowd.

Not when there's a group of like...maybe five randos watching the fight.

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

one of the npcs says that there's no age limits to joining the academy and that their grandma could do so right now if they wanted, so i like to think the uniform is for all ages. which makes it funny to see the 50 year old man in little boy shorts because he's either been a student forever or joined up and has to dress like that now.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!

At first I just assumed the adult students were teachers in disguise since I saw one around a Team Star base.

It'd feel less weird if they weren't in child clothing or you saw a few adult students at the school itself.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Stux posted:

agreed the busywork check list game of flat empty areas that repeated pokemon endlessly and couldnt have more than 2 on screen at once and had gameplay best described as holding down ZR to fire a machine gun of balls at everything and nothing else is much better. unrelated but a cartoon roadrunner just caved my skull in with an anvil.
A lot of people really loving love busywork for some reason. Everything about the PLA capture mechanics just sounds like gametime-padding busywork to me but some people seem to love that poo poo. Meanwhile, I don't want to do the macarena under the full moon while Saturn is aligned with Venus for a 1% boost to catch rate(but only if the Pokemon hasn't seen me yet). I just want to go into a battle, attack the thing once or twice, and throw pokeballs until it stays in the ball. The less time I spend on that poo poo, the more time I spend on the actually fun parts of the game. (the ideal capture mechanic would be "just knock out the wild Pokemon for a guaranteed catch" imo - Tera Raids do that and it works just fine, why not extend that to the rest of the game and waste a whole lot less of the player's time? Nobody has ever enjoyed spending 5 minutes chucking balls at something with a low catch rate.)

Similarly, I have only ever done the 'throw out your lead Pokemon at something to catch it off guard" thing by accident in SV - it's just plain faster to battle normally than to try to line up a good surprise attack, and lining up a surprise attack isn't fun or engaging enough to bother with on its own.

This game has some issues but "isn't enough like PLA" isn't one. The fundamental mechanics of SV are fine, they just needed a lot more polish for the graphics and engine.

Paramemetic posted:

Edit: I really appreciate that in the modern Pokemon world your in game rival isn't really a rival and definitely isn't an incorrigible little poo poo who serves only to want to foil you. An emphasis on cooperative fun in competition is good and the saccharine sweetness is a delightful escape in this bitch of a world.
:same:

It also makes them seem a hell of a lot less pathetic since they're not coming up to you all HEH YOU'RE A LOSER YOUR LAST WIN WAS A FLUKE :c00l: after you've curbstomped them 4 times already.

AngryRobotsInc posted:

Arven is kind of a dork, and I am here for it.
Arven is the best out of the three main questline buddies, sorry Director and Nemona.

Blockhouse posted:

There's a ton of NPCs that aren't wearing the uniform and probably a greater overall npc model variety than sword/shield so I don't think that has anything to do with anything other than a deliberate choice
Yeah, I took it as a 'you're never too old to learn more about Pokemon!' thing. :allears:

Splash Attack
Mar 23, 2008

Yeahhh!
I am GHOS!!
Haaaaaa Ha Ha Ha!!

AngryRobotsInc posted:

The chanting also works better when the fight is in....you know...a stadium. With a crowd.

Not when there's a group of like...maybe five randos watching the fight.

yeah while sw/sh was boring the gym fights felt like a actual spectacle in-game, so it's kind of weird for it to downgrade to a casual gathering in scarvi lol. but i do love the music even if it doesn't fit.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

I kind of like Nemona to be honest (not sure if she goes downhill later in the game though) but yeah, Arven is great (wasn’t a big fan at first but by the second Titan I was fully onboard with him)

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Haifisch posted:

Similarly, I have only ever done the 'throw out your lead Pokemon at something to catch it off guard" thing by accident in SV - it's just plain faster to battle normally than to try to line up a good surprise attack, and lining up a surprise attack isn't fun or engaging enough to bother with on its own.

I do wish this mechanic was to catch without battling. Surprise attack is worthless lol

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Frankly I miss my OP dodge roll and I wish my dragonbike would just step over the bugs and birds that I can't see on the ground.

It's also really weird to be locked in a fight to catch a Salazzle with all her male paramours watching and panicking in the background, and none of them are attacking me. She's your queen! Losers

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Is it possible to cross-train egg moves like it was in Sw/Sh? I'd like to get sucker punch onto my starter.

Edit: Apparently Mirror Herbs can do it?

Echophonic fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Nov 22, 2022

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
The glide not working similar to Arceus's was a bummer and lol the drop off of your path if you glide for too long.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Echophonic posted:

Is it possible to cross-train egg moves like it was in Sw/Sh? I'd like to get sucker punch onto my starter.

Yes. Have another Pokemon with Sucker Punch in your party, delete a moveslot on your starter and give your starter a Mirror Herb to hold (you can buy them for 30k in Cascarrafa at Delibird Presents if you don't have one). Then just start and exit a picnic.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So at what point in the game do you start finding more Tera orbs? I’m two gyms/Titans/bases in and still only have the default one

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
once again i am bemoaning the fact that the GTS was relegated to Home('s mobile app)

even with certain community link codes being passed around, it's just... so much more of a hassle to get specific pokemon than it needs to be. why did they even start doing that.

Echophonic posted:

egg moves are stupidly easy to transfer

1 - get any pokemon with the egg move you need, egg group be damned
2 - buy a mirror herb at the delibird shop in the water gym city
3 - remove one of the moves from the pokemon you want to get the move and have them hold the herb
4 - start a picnic with both pokemon in the party

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Nuclearmonkee posted:

The power creep is extremely real lol. The ancient/future Pokémon are crazy good and the speed tiers on these mons is nuts. You basically have to have priority to revenge kill these guys as they can laugh in the face of most scarfers and kill them.

Wasn’t expecting to be worried about matching up against misdreavus and delibird variants going into this.

Weavile isn’t even considered especially fast now, these are harrowing times

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Nuclearmonkee posted:

As someone who's loved Delibird forever, the fact that Iron Bundle is this god-slaying "please quickban it"-worthy demon fills my cold, black heart with joy. :yayclod:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh lord, only the learner needs the herb? RIP 30k. Oh well, not like money's that hard to come by with my Tera Raid addiction.

What the gently caress, that takes like 20 seconds. That's insane and I love it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BAD ASS minion memes!
Apr 12, 2014

MacheteZombie posted:

I do wish this mechanic was to catch without battling. Surprise attack is worthless lol

My hot take is that there's nothing stopping you from getting into a battle and immediately throwing a ball anyway, so throwing a pokeball from the overworld should at least be an option (that kicks you into a battle if the pokemon breaks out).