Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jon Pod Van Damm
Apr 6, 2009

THE POSSESSION OF WEALTH IS IN AND OF ITSELF A SIGN OF POOR VIRTUE. AS SUCH:
1 NEVER TRUST ANY RICH PERSON.
2 NEVER HIRE ANY RICH PERSON.
BY RULE 1, IT IS APPROPRIATE TO PRESUME THAT ALL DEGREES AND CREDENTIALS HELD BY A WEALTHY PERSON ARE FRAUDULENT. THIS JUSTIFIES RULE 2--RULE 1 NEEDS NO JUSTIFIC

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

It's crazy how much this guy knows about Russian military movements. It's a good thing that Ukrainians can't speak Russian, or else they could really use this information

Militaries run on rumours, and that the rumours going around are about withdrawals rather than buildups for the next big push might just reflect a mood. I wouldn’t credit any Ukrainian “audio recordings”, or even say it indicates morale issues, just that soldiers are always speculating and gossiping and what they are speculating and gossiping about reflects the feeling in their unit at a given time. The telegram rumour mill is sort of similar in how it fluctuates from doom and gloom to the next One Weird Truck, but since it’s spectators and not participants doesn’t have that same connection to time and place as rumours in battalion.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

Frosted Flake posted:

the next One Weird Truck

ukrainian technicals confirmed

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

idgi

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Don't invite your neighbor over if you're in Sweden. It's how they find the spies.

nomad2020
Jan 30, 2007

Imagine Tobe Hooper, director of the Texas Chainsaw Massacre, being arrested for making Texas look bad.

VV- hope so, but my disbelief has been thoroughly suspended.

nomad2020 has issued a correction as of 20:35 on Nov 22, 2022

speng31b
May 8, 2010

i think that post is a joke? afaik ari aster wasnt arrested

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

speng31b posted:

if he had been, posting about it would probably be a crime under the new law

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I was assured Nordic Democracy would guarantee this kind of thing never happens. They are nations of laws

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

mawarannahr posted:

I was assured Nordic Democracy would guarantee this kind of thing never happens. They are nations of laws

couple years ago I read a danish ww2 history book, and one thing that stuck with me was a bit on how, when the nazis took over danish government, some of their private diary entries and documents revealed the german soldiers and administrators found the scale of our police state a bit beyond the pale.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

A nation of laws that passed a new law. If you don't like it, have you tried voting????

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

speng31b posted:

It is 100 percent a joke. The Socdems lost power in the last election to a coalition of rightwingers propped up by the far-right.

paul_soccer12
Jan 5, 2020

by Fluffdaddy

evilmiera posted:

It is 100 percent a joke. The Socdems lost power in the last election to a coalition of rightwingers propped up by the far-right.

stop posting

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/sbobkov/status/1595080975763243008

The tank factories are very busy these days.

Comrade Koba
Jul 2, 2007

evilmiera posted:

the right wing lost power to the right wing, nordic democracy in a nutshell

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Comrade Koba posted:

lol, missed this gem:

Iuliia Mendel is also one of the various insane Ukrainian figures on Twitter; her tweets have been posted here many times before.

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013
What ever happened to that hillbilly boomer from Texas? He was palling around with the Russian army back in February/March. I hope he's settled down in a dacha somewhere and sired a few half-breed Orclings. :)

THS2
Oct 2, 2021

WaryWarren posted:

What ever happened to that hillbilly boomer from Texas? He was palling around with the Russian army back in February/March. I hope he's settled down in a dacha somewhere and sired a few half-breed Orclings. :)

him and the one legged guy fought to the death

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

WaryWarren posted:

favorite story about this guy is that during the initial fighting in 2014, a Vice reporter asked the other soldiers in the militia unit if they thought he was a CIA agent. the response was "no," and when asked why they thought so, one of the militia said something along the lines of "just look at him."

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

WaryWarren posted:

would be happy to get an update on this guy as well as the three irish dudes who were stealing donation money by cos-playing soldiers in Ukraine

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

Starsfan posted:

would be happy to get an update on this guy as well as the three irish dudes who were stealing donation money by cos-playing soldiers in Ukraine

dont forget the goony lpr reporter

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Stumbled upon this gem again.

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5HemK_H2f9/

Corky Romanovsky
Oct 1, 2006

Soiled Meat
Anarchist Florida Man seems to have been shook and needed to reaffirm to himself his internalized beliefs.

https://youtu.be/fyaG64rGWoU

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

PoontifexMacksimus posted:

Ukraine has been invading the Județ of Bugeac for over 30 years

Bugeac is the strongest bug.

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Corky Romanovsky posted:

Anarchist Florida Man seems to have been shook and needed to reaffirm to himself his internalized beliefs.

NATO has no aggressive intentions because they passed up on a "golden" opportunity to enter a nuclear conflict with Russia and Russia knew that NATO would pass up on an oppurtunity to go to war which is why they launched the missile at Poland to blow up that grain silo so therefore Russia was lying when they said the reason they invaded Ukraine was to prevent Ukraine joining a hostile military alliance against them

The logic is unbreakable

***Wait a second in one breath he says that it's obvious that the US / NATO would conjure up an excuse to go to war with someone out of thin air (AKA Iraq) because they are incredibly craven and opportunistic but then later he says that instigating wars or being aggressive has never been in NATO's playbook and Russia is making that up

Starsfan has issued a correction as of 01:53 on Nov 23, 2022

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

Corky Romanovsky posted:

lol

his takes are not great on average but this is stupid as gently caress even so from him

please read books people i am begging you

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
i just like how beau went from criticizing us foreign policy under trump to outright endorsing US state department positions under biden

really makes you think

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020

Zodium posted:

it's me, i'm shelling the zaporizhia plant.

I'll kill you for that.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Dixon Chisholm posted:

I'll kill you for that.

now, mods, this may seem actionable but please keep in mind it would be a valid military target

iCe-CuBe.
Jun 9, 2011
I will die for the safety of Nievsky Zaporizhia Petrogradovich Oblast

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Corky Romanovsky posted:

https://youtube.fandom.com/wiki/Beau_of_the_Fifth_Column

quote:

Trivia
He has a background as a military contractor and trainer.

lmao

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

here are some more details, with a chat log, about the guy who got fired from ap.

https://www.semafor.com/article/11/22/2022/ap-fired-a-reporter-after-a-dangerous-blunder-slack-messages-reveal-a-chaotic-process

quote:

A 10-minute miscommunication on Slack between journalists at the Associated Press resulted in an erroneous report last week that appeared momentarily to bring tensions between NATO and Russia to their highest point since the Cuban Missile Crisis.

Last Tuesday, AP posted a news alert saying that a “senior U.S. intelligence official says Russian missiles crossed into NATO member Poland, killing two people,” and noting that leaders in Poland were “holding an emergency meeting due to a ‘crisis situation.’”

The report, which would have represented a Russian missile striking a member of NATO, immediately sparked fear of a dramatic escalation of tensions between the US and Russia.

But national security officials said the report was false, and the Associated Press retracted the piece a day later. On Monday, it fired James LaPorta, the national security reporter for the wire service who got the initial tip that set the story in motion.

LaPorta’s firing was first [reported](https://www.thedailybeast.com/ap-fires-reporter-behind-retracted-russian-missiles-story) by the Daily Beast, and [confirmed](https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/2022/11/21/james-laporta-associated-press-poland-russia-missile/) by the Washington Post. Both stories quoted AP sources and put the blame squarely on the reporter. The Beast reported that LaPorta left “the impression that the story’s sourcing had been approved.”

But the slack messages on which the incident played out tell a different story, of honest mistakes, internal confusion, and a lack of a clear process that led to a disaster for one of the few news organizations whose Twitter presence is an authoritative account of world affairs.

On Tuesday afternoon at 1:32 PM ET, LaPorta wrote in an internal Slack channel that he’d been told by a senior US intelligence source that Russian missiles crossed into Moldova and Poland. LaPorta described the source as an “official (vetted by Ron Nixon),” referring to the publication’s VP of news and investigations.

But while Nixon had approved the use of that specific anonymous source in the past, people involved said, Nixon was not aware of that tip or that story. LaPorta did not exactly claim that Nixon had approved the source in this case, but his words were interpreted by the editors to mean that he did.

Lisa Leff, an editor on the European desk, immediately asked if the wire service could send an AP alert, or if they would need confirmation from another source.

“That call is above my pay grade,” LaPorta replied.

When Leff asked if LaPorta could put together a story, he told the Slack channel that he was not around.

“I’m actually at a doctor’s appointment. What I passed along is all I know at the moment,” he said.

Deputy European news editor Zeina Karam ultimately decided to publish, believing that Nixon had vetted the source, and the alert was sent out at 1:41 PM ET, less than ten minutes after LaPorta’s initial message.

But the story was false. The initial tip may have been a true accounting of what senior officials thought in the minutes after the explosion in Poland. But it was wrong, as is often true amid the fog of war and wartime journalism. NATO officials later determined that the missiles were likely fired by Ukrainian air defense. The Associated Press took the story down, and issued a correction saying that “subsequent reporting showed that the missiles were Russian-made and most likely fired by Ukraine in defense against a Russian attack.”

LaPorta was suspended on Thursday morning, according to a source familiar with the situation, and fired on Monday after a review by the wire service.

In a statement to Semafor, he said that he would “love to comment but I’ve been ordered by AP not to comment."

speng31b
May 8, 2010

its really cool to see that all the people at ap are just as loving stupid as random nafos on twitter

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012
lmao imagine being a journalist

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The thread handled it better

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I can't imagine a US intelligence official would be wrong about this lmao

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

"I can't imagine a US intelligence official would be wrong about this"

dieselfruit
Feb 21, 2013

James "I'll Show Myself" LaPorta

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I bet at least 1 of those messages were written on the toilet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU