Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

big cummers ONLY posted:

If I'm meleeing a group of normal guys I don't give a gently caress about the sharpshooter's LOS, you don't need to shoot these guys or the next group when we could just chew through them with melee while barely slowing down

Do try to create gaps for your ranged to utilize when there are targets they are best at dealing with, otherwise pick up your shovel and let's go

There's no better justification for using a Force Staff than the fact it passes through your teammates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

The soundtrack for this game is so good. The one song when you're scanning garbage cans for the flying skull sounds very Tomorrowland at Disneyworld and kind of out of place but I still like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqaqM21Dro&t=3985s

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Dramicus posted:

why can't they just put a repair mission into the rotation. I want the stupid imperial guard helmet.

This, graaaaagh!!!

Orv
May 4, 2011

Randler posted:

I already have a somewhat concerning amount of hours in the game, but I have yet to see a single special marked (except the 1-2 times I had a Veteran with the "Ultimate spots for the whole team" feat).

Has anybody actually seen another party member's special mark outside of a stack? Because while my expectations for matchmaking a low, it feels more like it might legitimately be bugged.

Constantly.

ChickenHeart
Nov 28, 2007

Take me at your own risk.

Kiss From a Hog
watching a fleeing grenadier get walloped by a crate of grenades traveling at supersonic speeds, sending him somersaulting over a guardrail, remains my favorite moment in this game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ChickenHeart posted:

watching a fleeing grenadier get walloped by a crate of grenades traveling at supersonic speeds, sending him somersaulting over a guardrail, remains my favorite moment in this game.

There was a bomber climbing a fence one time when his head got popped and he just gently sailed up and over the fence and out of sight, very peacefully. :allears:

Estel
May 4, 2010

Randler posted:

I already have a somewhat concerning amount of hours in the game, but I have yet to see a single special marked (except the 1-2 times I had a Veteran with the "Ultimate spots for the whole team" feat).

Has anybody actually seen another party member's special mark outside of a stack? Because while my expectations for matchmaking a low, it feels more like it might legitimately be bugged.

In the first 2 difficulties if an enemy was marked 80%-90% of the time it was because I marked it. In the third difficulty I started seeing people marking enemies.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Internet Explorer posted:

Yeah, this is huge for both range and melee. Stopping bad dudes from shooting you and your team is super important, whether that's by engaging in melee or suppressing them. I think it's one of the main skills newbies are going to have to learn.

It's deceptive how much damage the ranged enemies do. When you're used to fighting them at range and getting more or less chip damage from their bursts it can seem minor, but there's been a few times when I got stuck in geometry or didn't see a couple gunners behind me in a fight and they absolutely melt you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

ChickenHeart posted:

Playing with goons, I (an Ogryn) and another goon also playing Ogryn both spotted a Crusher at the same time. Cue two grenade cases colliding with it's skull at the exact same time.

A thing of beauty. :allears:

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Estel posted:

In the first 2 difficulties if an enemy was marked 80%-90% of the time it was because I marked it. In the third difficulty I started seeing people marking enemies.

If you play in goon groups we mark poo poo all the time, even as a ranged person because sometimes you just don't have the capacity to handle it (I. E. I'm elbow deep in a horde and can't draw my gun, but the psyker further back might be able to get on them).

Also my new favorite target for ogryn grenades are now mutants. Bonking them as they make their final approach is incredibly satisfying.

Henker
May 5, 2009

Is it just me or does the Lucius pattern lasrifle kind of suck compared to the regular one? It has iron sights which are terrible, and the charging ability just makes it feel sluggish (since it's fire on button release). Which is a disappointment since it's way cooler looking.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've only played veteran so far and when your team has 2 or more ogryns, actually shooting something can be a pretty big challenge.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Henker posted:

Is it just me or does the Lucius pattern lasrifle kind of suck compared to the regular one? It has iron sights which are terrible, and the charging ability just makes it feel sluggish (since it's fire on button release). Which is a disappointment since it's way cooler looking.

I absolutely hated trying all three of them.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Randler posted:

Yes, all the time.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I forget about my grenade when playing Ogryn. Hopefully having two will make me remember to use them more often.

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Henker posted:

This is the consensus yeah. You trade all dps for the ability to pen Carapace armor which lol

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Jack B Nimble posted:

"I solo da entire horde", says the Ogryn, knocking down a half dozen pox walkers with a charge.

"I'm da biggest!", Shouts the Ogryn, as his teammates follow behind him and kill the five enemies he charged but did not kill, because charge does not kill the enemies it knocks down.

"I'm da best!", the Ogryn calls over his shoulder, oblivious.

(Seeing an Ogryn charge through a legitimate wall of pox walkers IS one of Darktide's better spectacles.)

Seeing an ogryn with a giant barn door and bashing stick charge through dudes is fantastic.

I don't care how buggy the first few months is the game is... It's fun as gently caress

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...

Chainclaw posted:

The soundtrack for this game is so good. The one song when you're scanning garbage cans for the flying skull sounds very Tomorrowland at Disneyworld and kind of out of place but I still like it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olqaqM21Dro&t=3985s

That stupid song took me directly out of the game to check if it was something in my background. Seemed so out of place

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

TipsyMcStagger posted:

I don't care how buggy the first few months is the game is... It's fun as gently caress

This is 100% where I'm at. Some stuff feels a little awkward, there's some bugs, but the overall experience is so good.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
So did they gently caress the armoury or something? I'm only getting two items showing even after a stock refresh.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
There's just something about this game when the techno-gothic chanting starts and your squad starts unloading into a charging horde. Definitely nothing else like it, except like Eye Divine Cybermancy or something.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

Controversial take: while I agree bad vets with bad aim and bad attitudes exist I also think VT2 pros need to take a step back.

First a lot of these people are new to the series. The game looks and sounds like a shooter so of course people will choose to primarily shoot; nothing in the game says "melee is the default" and the creators have repeatedly called it a hybrid game, so 50/50 would be the expectation of even a very informed newbie. Second, ranged fire is just different in this game. You can't have a team that is 90% melee who just occasionally pulls out a crossbow to dumpster specials occasionally.

What I'm saying is:lower your expectations. I cannot tell you how bad the VT2 community was on release and are in many ways still bad.

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

We know why bad play exists, it's still fun to make fun of it. I don't expect my team to be competent but it doesn't mean I'm not laughing at them

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
I've done over 15 hours of nothing but veteran so far and while ammo can be a bit tight at times, it's almost never the case that I've found myself running out entirely. Most matches are like 80-90% shooting with a little melee here and there to keep things off my rear end. Though, I stay away from weapons with stupidly low ammo counts.

Orv
May 4, 2011
The PD2 and VT2 threads always had that weird vibe of people who hated the game while playing thousands of hours of it. Though maybe that was a few problem posters that never had any chill.

Point being let’s not do that here if possible. Making fun of bad play is totally fine though.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

The thing about Vermintide was that even if you were very good there was no reason to play above mid difficulty because of how ridiculous the game got, whereas good groups are already starting to master mid difficulty here and I can see the norm pushing up to rank 4.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Which is extra funny because the discord is full of people telling on themselves while blaming their groups for failing dozens of Malice runs in a row. rear end in a top hat in the morning etc.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Cool, now my connection to the server is so tenuous if I can get into a lobby I can't make it to the mission terminal at a dead sprint without DC'ing.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Alchenar posted:

The thing about Vermintide was that even if you were very good there was no reason to play above mid difficulty because of how ridiculous the game got, whereas good groups are already starting to master mid difficulty here and I can see the norm pushing up to rank 4.

I'm not super against this because it seems inevitable that they're going to add in higher difficulty stuff later like they did with VT, and in VT I often felt like I was breezing through it or just having a bad time with sixty stormvermin every minute. A more moderate difficulty pace with some tier bonuses for high level play would be nice.

What can I say, I can only play this game for like two hours a night, I like having a "what's your flavor of the day" difficulty slider.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Mendrian posted:

Controversial take: while I agree bad vets with bad aim and bad attitudes exist I also think VT2 pros need to take a step back.

First a lot of these people are new to the series. The game looks and sounds like a shooter so of course people will choose to primarily shoot; nothing in the game says "melee is the default" and the creators have repeatedly called it a hybrid game, so 50/50 would be the expectation of even a very informed newbie. Second, ranged fire is just different in this game. You can't have a team that is 90% melee who just occasionally pulls out a crossbow to dumpster specials occasionally.

What I'm saying is:lower your expectations. I cannot tell you how bad the VT2 community was on release and are in many ways still bad.

Elf spotted. Get them!

In all due honesty this works in reverse too. Nothing in the game says ranged is default either. In the prologue mission at the very start they don't give you a gun, they give you a shovel.

For the same reason you can't have a team that is 90% RTTCQB guy slaying bodies in the primary. There are some problems only a shovel and some gusto can solve and getting irrationally angry about line of sights is counter productive in a game that explicitly features enemies running in from flanks and off angles on a constant and perpetual basis.

If you want to shoot at something and have a large boy blocking the way, they will be coming from another direction extremely quickly. Give it like 30 seconds.

DeathSandwich fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Nov 22, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Back Hack posted:

I'm sorry, but if blazing away at hordes of enemies with an auto-gun or lasrifle is wrong then I don't want to be right.

That's also not what I said lol

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The powersword is so good that it allows me to save bolter for killing all the elites/specials or suppressing big groups of ranged enemies. You just dead sprint at ranged enemies while sliding and you can toggle the powersword on while sprinting and it won't cancel the run. Then you easily chop everyone in half. Being able to delete crushers, ragers, maulers, reapers, bulwarks, mutants, etc in a blink once they're on screen with the bolter then clear the rest with powersword feels really good.

I do wish the reload animation was a bit shorter, even with the various cancel points the fact that you rack the gun every time you pull it out gets on my nerves a bit.

Trying out the plasma gun and i think its just straight up inferior to the bolter. It feels really bad that you basically get 2 charge shots and then you're overheated, and there isn't a reliably quick way to vent the heat. The special damage taking vent can't really be used in combat and reloading clears all heat but is soooooooooooooooooooooooooo slow. I wish you could like hold it away from you and vent the heat onto crowds really fast.

Jerkface fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Nov 22, 2022

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Stupid puny lasagna gun does nothing to a horde but my Ogryn holding left click down with a heavy stubber into a chokepoint is a thing of beauty

Orv
May 4, 2011
The thing about the plasma gun is that it deletes anything on a headshot with only the tiniest charge necessary for crushers. On top of this it has high inherent pierce which means those situations where you get four ragers running at your team in a line is four dead ragers with one shot if it lines up right. I do think the bolter is strictly better in its current state but the plasma is hardly awful.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Got the 2h chain sword last night, only got a chance to try it today. So the first thing I do is load up a lvl 1 mission in the new foundry. Cool map.

The block + thrust move combo was neat and I could see how it would be useful, but the weapon itself felt pretty anemic at times. Just. . . eh, OK, but not as good at killing hordes as just mashing skulls with a hatchet.

Then I did a random malace run and oh, yeah, poo poo has armor in higher difficulteis. Oh. . . . OH. Oh and I actually have to give a gently caress about blocking again and lol will you look at that I can lock down a horde by myself and take basically no damage.

New favorite weapon.

Kobal2
Apr 29, 2019

apostateCourier posted:

Get the gently caress out of the way, 99% of the time there is room for you to do so.

Play according to my needs for me, the protagonist of this multiplayer game.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also holy fuuuuuuuuck I hate the goddamned hub so much oh my loving god.

Load time after a mission in VT2 is like two seconds because I've got a decent computer. I can only assume I have enough time to get up and take a piss while the loading screen in DT is happening because they're waiting for some pubbie with a Tandy 2 to finish loading something. . . or something. I dunno, it's just annoying as hell and in no way, shape, or form does watching a bunch of randos I'll never interact with sprint to the mission board and then vanish into thin air make the load time worthwhile.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

https://twitter.com/SkillUpYT/status/1595003807360073728

Shame, I quite like his reviews and I think he's usually pretty forgiving for bugginess.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Also, holy poo poo why did they bother with these cut scenes. I mean, maybe I'm just not seeing the cool ones with all the deep plot and lore etc yet because I'm only lvl 22 but every single loving one has been "we don't trust you, try hard at killing and maybe that will change."

There was more plot to be had from listening to Lohner talk poo poo and from piecing together the series of events in the linked missions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The plot will likely be doled out for years to come which is pretty silly.