Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:shepface: Okay I'm glad I didn't put too much effort into figuring that one out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Whenever I play Cee-Lo I like to pretend I'm Kaiji

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
:siren:New Episode!:siren:

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 41 - Hey Bob

Bob's the only person in town who won't judge me

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 42 - The Jonkler, Baby

Things really aren't going great for Majima

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 43 - The Tenth Of Every Month Is Taofa Day

Look, sometimes we make jokes just for us

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

"Sometimes"?

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Allow me to repeat myself:

disposablewords posted:

Yakuza is so weirdly in love with these giant underground illegal operations that draw in so many people there's no way they're still a secret.

This is definitely one of the more absurd ones, though. When I said "underground" I meant that literally.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
Underground death match black site for the worst of the worst criminals that no court will convict, accessed by the most Metal Gear contraption outside of Metal Gear, in the middle of a bustling metropolis, with many, many people spectators, what do you mean, it strains believability that it's a secret?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Kinda weird that nobody noticed the giant glass tube in the middle of the river, but hey, people are distracted I guess

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 44 - Guess Who Just hosed Up

I don't want to tell the guy how to run his show, but if you have a cannibal clown, save him for a better reveal don't just send him in first

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Danaru posted:

Kinda weird that nobody noticed the giant glass tube in the middle of the river, but hey, people are distracted I guess

the statue actor is in league with the underground fighting ring

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 45 - Tusk Is Playing

The running battle levels are my favourites and Tusk is such a good theme :allears:

CirclMastr
Jul 4, 2010

Flaccid J. Pnurtis got fired because of the Let's Play format I was doing. Which is why I'm changing it up for his return!

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug
A stupid joke an episode a late but. Haven't you ever heard of Doctor CLAW!?

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 46 - Are We Cool?!

I feel like we might not be cool

Pomme de Terror
Sep 30, 2021

Well, one of us must have killed him!
So... Cyclist Wajima is Majima's Wario, right?
:thunk:

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 47 - Now YOU Get To Answer Some Questions

You know this isn't even the last time Kiryu has to shoot down a helicopter with a handgun?

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
He can Oda deez nuts.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Re: is it usual to kill a lot of major characters in a Yakuza game: Well, it's a crime drama, so some people are gonna have to die. Yakuza 0 has the added bonus of being a prequel, so any totally new character is completely fair game. It still does an okay job of creating dramatic tension for the characters you know will survive, because it still puts them through some real poo poo.

Some of the stuff, though, like the chase and the helicopter? This has got to be Kiryu and Majima at a bar like 40 years down the line, with Kiryu telling the story relatively seriously while Majima is constantly jumping in to just add some big bullshit. "This car was coming up after us, with a couple guys with guns, so I took Oda's pistol and managed to shoot out a tire, sending them into a wall--" "AND THEN THIRTY MORE CARS AND A HELICOPTER CAME AFTER HIM!"

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 48 - Til Death Do Us Part

Every Yakuza game has a point where you can still do side quest, but you can't bring yourself to because holy poo poo the story is so loving good, and it's safe to say we've crossed that point

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 49 - Wanna See A Fun Prank?

This is, in fact, the same game where we had to help a statue man not piss himself

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

It wouldn't be a Yakuza game if you couldn't do wacky hijinks before and after heavy story events.

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
You need levity to balance the heavy poo poo. If it was just a meat-grinder of non-stop sympathetic characters getting killed off it would numb you quickly, and when there's a story beat like in the last video, it wouldn't have as much of an impact. That said, I do hope we get to turn some assholes into bloody smears because we're running out of likeable guys quick.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 50 - That's A Shimano Thing

Meanwhile things are going great for Majima!

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

This is something I'm really not fond of in the series, as a matter of storytelling - Yakuza loves masterminds playing people like fiddles. We already got some of it with Kazama and the whole thing around Tachibana Real Estate, how he's apparently manipulating so much of the Tojo clan from prison, anticipating so well how everyone would react. And now we've got Shimano declaring he knows Majima so perfectly for his grand plan as well. Ehhh. Maybe it lets up in the games I haven't played yet, but it doesn't feel like it so far.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

disposablewords posted:

Maybe it lets up in the games I haven't played yet, but it doesn't feel like it so far.

Nope, its a Yakuza tradition to have multiple masterminds per game.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Honestly I kinda like it, everyone tries to manipulate each other and wind up eating poo poo for it :v: Even Kuze and Awano tried to play manipulator but did such a hilariously terrible job that they basically got stuck supporting Shibusawa immediately. Also Kuze lost fingat :haw: Shimano's twist is stupid though, but Shimano sucks

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 51 - Bottle For A Bottle

Kashiwagi's loving PISSED.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

People trying to manipulate each other and eating poo poo when it doesn't go the way they expect is neat. That's good stuff for crime drama intrigues. It's seriously just poo poo like Shimano sitting down and saying, "Ah yes, I sent you to do a murder because I knew you so well, that you could be pushed to accept the job but not enough to go through with it, blah blah blah," that I find really overdone. They do a mastermind twist in Yakuza 2 that just made me roll my eyes and I've been kind of stalled on the series since then.

Also, man, Majima is just doing everything in the most self-sabotaging possible way. It's kind of amazing how much he's just trying to hurt himself and everyone he can get his hands on, while still getting the job done.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 52 - I Wanna Start poo poo!

How does she keep disappearing like this god dammit

Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

DAMP AF

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Okay but I do unironically enjoy watching Dan just gently caress around in these games. It's the essential Yakuza series experience. I cannot begin to count the number of times I sat down intending to advance the plot and then suddenly it's two hours later and whoops all cabaret club or pocket circuit.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

disposablewords posted:

They do a mastermind twist in Yakuza 2 that just made me roll my eyes and I've been kind of stalled on the series since then.

I won't say incase Dan is covering more of the series but I know the one and its legendary amongst the community.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
We're definitely going to keep going

It's honestly taking a ton of effort not to skip the post game entirely and move on to Kiwami just because god I love Yakuza's story

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 53 - You Don't Pay For Drinks Anymore

Makoto can you please just let me handle this

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 54 - Kuze No Aniki

This fight does one of my favourite leitmotif tropes :allears: it's so good aaaaaaa

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Let's Play Yakuza 0 Episode 55 - Guns Are Not Fair

I want to say "Who brings a gun to a fist fight?!" but honestly considering Shibusawa invaded like it was Juno loving beach, I can see how a few guns are still kicking around. Doesn't mean I have to like it though

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

I'm sorry, did Grace say you wanted one more "shot pocket"? Did you invent a way to combine liquor and hot pockets? Because :stare:

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

I got real sick of the same issues with this sequence and it was around here that Kiryu and Majima suddenly decided things like shotguns were fair game, for me. It makes sense that Shibusawa would finally go weapons free with his guys - he rapidly establishes that he doesn't have the pride or self-indulgence of Kuze or Awano, he just gets the job done - but it is, yeah, deeply annoying when a punch-focused game suddenly goes, "GUNS! With instant knock-down!"

Just Winging It
Jan 19, 2012

The buck stops at my ass
In narrow corridors where you can't use clever movement/positioning to not get shot no less. It's just obnoxious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akratic Method
Mar 9, 2013

It's going to pay off eventually--I'm sure of it.

Any day now.

Isn't there a lot of cover along the left in those long boat-side corridors? It looked like you could hide there (one of the gunmen did, when Kiryu was insistently shooting at the wrong one).