Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

I'm not in a world cup spirit, winter World Cup sucks rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

All around the world!!!!!

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔

actually in the country called USA we have a different game that we call football :-)

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Hegay posted:

I've been saying this!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
These days,

https://twitter.com/thecasualultra/status/1595050536738455557

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I can’t believe the security people know enough history to think this is offensive. The costume is so loving goofy lol.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Vegetable posted:

I can’t believe the security people know enough history to think this is offensive. The costume is so loving goofy lol.

They don't, they just don't want a bunch of dudes in the stadium with swords and shields, be they plastic, wood, whatever.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
They didn't peace bond their swords, rookie mistake

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Heartbreaking: the worst world cup just made a good point

please go after the england band next thanks in advance

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Mr Snips posted:

please go after the england band next thanks in advance

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
the england band is literally being paid by qatar to be there

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
That just increases the hilarity of the situation though.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

BBC coverage has been pretty good so far, they just did a bit at half time pointing out that the carbon neutral claim for this world cup is bullshit made of smoke, mirrors and book cooking lol

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

BBC coverage has been pretty good so far, they just did a bit at half time pointing out that the carbon neutral claim for this world cup is bullshit made of smoke, mirrors and book cooking lol

I think that's true for pretty much everything that claims to be carbon neutral. Most of them time they buy carbon credits from sources that are at best shady and at worst just straight up a scam.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

Snazzy Frocks posted:

So if there was like a hard determination that corruption and underhanded poo poo happened and people were gonna get in trouble what governing body would handle that and would that put them in jail or just fined or what

most of the FIFA execs that decided on this world cup are already in jail/under indictment, and thats not an exaggeration. last i saw it was strangely the FBI that was prosecuting them, not sure if some other body has gotten involved since

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

TheRat posted:

I think that's true for pretty much everything that claims to be carbon neutral. Most of them time they buy carbon credits from sources that are at best shady and at worst just straight up a scam.

Tesla sells their credits to Ford, etc, yeah.

Alctel
Jan 16, 2004

I love snails

Hegay posted:

It really does

It's loving 4c and raining right now, very much not the weather to sit on a patio and get sozzled while watching the foot

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

But it’s a holiday week that’s already jam packed with sporting events including nfl games nba games and most college sports rivalry games. November conflicts with three of the countrys four most popular sports it’s just about the worst time in terms of tv competition

that's true but there's very little on before Thanksgiving day and early in the day and white collar people don't have much to do
it'll be interesting to see what happens with the numbers compared to other countries' declines in viewership

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009

Alctel posted:

It really does

It's loving 4c and raining right now, very much not the weather to sit on a patio and get sozzled while watching the foot

It got dark at 4.30 pm. lol Not really salsa weather.

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Hegay posted:

:hmmyes: more and more people are saying this

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

can a German poster please confirm that Tatort is just redubbed episodes of Inspector Taggart from 1993

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Unfortunately, it appears to be an extremely long-running anothology series of TV movie police procedurals without any linking core characters.

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

EC10 posted:

most of the FIFA execs that decided on this world cup are already in jail/under indictment, and thats not an exaggeration. last i saw it was strangely the FBI that was prosecuting them, not sure if some other body has gotten involved since

reminder that it was literally the IRS who went after us soccer sphere Chuck Blazer (a real name for an American to have) for not paying taxes on his bribe money, and that he had a wire fitted to his rascal scooter so the FBI could go after all of them under the RICO Act

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2015_FIFA_corruption_case

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

Really good example of BBC vs american coverage of the world cup here - https://twitter.com/rogbennett/status/1594347543294525447

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

FullLeatherJacket posted:

reminder that it was literally the IRS who went after us soccer sphere Chuck Blazer (a real name for an American to have) for not paying taxes on his bribe money, and that he had a wire fitted to his rascal scooter so the FBI could go after all of them under the RICO Act

Chuck Blazer, that's a name I haven't seen in a long time...

Fun fact: he an apartment in Trump Tower just for his cats. I don't think you can say "I am guilty of committing financial crimes for decades" any louder by having a $6k/mo. apartment for just your cats.

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

FullLeatherJacket posted:

wow that is a great wiki read. lmao at how owned they got

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

EC10 posted:

wow that is a great wiki read. lmao at how owned they got

Sepp Blatter literally lost his job giving Russia and Qatar their World Cups.

Lunsku
May 21, 2006

If anyone’s hungering for a hilariously and disturbingly lovely and tone deaf film, I recommend checking the FIFA financed United Passions from 2014, about the history of FIFA. It came out just as the Blatter bribe business had picked up steam on tens of millions of budget from FIFA, and actors like Gerard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Tim Roth featuring. It was just mindblowing to me how that kind of hagiography seemed to be in any way a good idea unless the organization had been just huffing their own farts for way too long.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Sepp Blatter literally lost his job giving Russia and Qatar their World Cups.

supreme irony that he didn't even want qatar to get the cup, he wanted 2018 russia and 2022 USA so he could say he ended the cold war lmao

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

Eau de MacGowan posted:

the england band is literally being paid by qatar to be there

wasn't there a story that all of the paid-for fans arrived in qatar and immediately had their payments revoked? :laffo:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Mickolution posted:

Genuine question, what do you call it?

In very late with Celtistan.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

qatar will redeem their image when the ioc awards them the olympics in 2024, 2028, 2032 2036

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

halokiller posted:

qatar will redeem their image when the ioc awards them the olympics in 2024, 2028, 2032 2036

The winter olympics, 6 months after awarding it with a promise of artificial snow athletes will be told sand is just the same

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/PhilipProudfoot/status/1594819676328300544

Oi i'm just takin the piss mate

fookin hell 12 quid for footy scran, DEUS VULT

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Lunsku posted:

If anyone’s hungering for a hilariously and disturbingly lovely and tone deaf film, I recommend checking the FIFA financed United Passions from 2014, about the history of FIFA. It came out just as the Blatter bribe business had picked up steam on tens of millions of budget from FIFA, and actors like Gerard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Tim Roth featuring. It was just mindblowing to me how that kind of hagiography seemed to be in any way a good idea unless the organization had been just huffing their own farts for way too long.

I remember this mostly because John Oliver covered it in one of the early Last Week Tonight episodes on FIFA.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

United Passions’ opening weekend in the US it grossed under a thousand dollars total.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

qirex posted:

United Passions’ opening weekend in the US it grossed under a thousand dollars total.

which of the actors said something like "i haven't seen the film, which i've heard is very bad, but i have seen the house it paid for, which is very nice"

psyer
Mar 26, 2013
https://twitter.com/JoshTANoble/status/1595185498926059520

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

webmeister posted:

which of the actors said something like "i haven't seen the film, which i've heard is very bad, but i have seen the house it paid for, which is very nice"

Michael Caine for Jaws: the revenge

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

The winter olympics, 6 months after awarding it with a promise of artificial snow athletes will be told sand is just the same

well at the very least artificial snow is something that actually exists in the real world