Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Maybe this means that some day they will put out a Promethean 1-4 player coop dungeon crawler game, even though that is not at all what Promethean is about.

Flipped over a Qashmal mission card, it says we've gotta use our depression powers to raid the evil centimani lair to get more vitriol. Afterwards we can go shopping but watch out, every player's character sheet has a set of cards in the formation of da Vinci's Vitruvian Man and as we bumble about and fail at being a human, we have the same problem in the game itself. Every disquiet damage we take makes us flip over a card allowing everyone to see what we truly look like.

drat, that'd actually work huh... then again, there's not much that wouldn't be able to be worked into a coop campaign board game rpg.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/flyosgames/werewolf-the-apocalypse-retaliation

Only $200 for a Werewolf The Apocalypse dungeon crawler

Surprised they've got the restraint to offer a standee version. Did their vampire game even come out yet? Was it even any good??

$113 (at current exchange rates). $200 is including a bunch of expansions, which is still pretty sane by big KS dungeon crawler all-in standards tbh.

Also I don't know where you're getting "standee version". there's only one edition of the game, it has 12 minis and more in every expansion. It does also have standees, for the NPCs, but that is not at all the same thing as a "standee version". As someone who vastly prefers standees to minis, you got my hopes up.

But yeah, their first game isn't even out yet. Close, sure, but close isn't out.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Everyone should back https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/liondogames/twinkle-starship-and-planet-etuc

because they're a tiny little bookshop in Japan that produces awesome trick takers, and these are no different :)

46 hours to go

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

malkav11 posted:

Also I don't know where you're getting "standee version". there's only one edition of the game, it has 12 minis and more in every expansion. It does also have standees, for the NPCs, but that is not at all the same thing as a "standee version". As someone who vastly prefers standees to minis, you got my hopes up.

I misunderstood their pledge tiers because I saw standees and the story-only tier at $200 and the next tier up at $300 talking about all the bonus cosmetics and listing miniatures

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I misunderstood their pledge tiers because I saw standees and the story-only tier at $200 and the next tier up at $300 talking about all the bonus cosmetics and listing miniatures

Yeah I had some hopes but they meant pre-painted.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
MIND MGMT just showed up. That is some glossy production value, let me tell you.

It's a reissue so I'm sure there are plenty of photos on the internet, otherwise this is exactly the kind of game I'd do an unboxing of.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/lunaroakstudio/the-curse-of-candelabria

Idk if this would have ever been good (they cancelled it 2 days in presumably because it didn't fund on day 1 and only made $33k of their $124k goal in that time) but I see this art here...

...and all I can think of is this

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
P500 is not exactly crowdfunding, but it just opened for a remake of Voyage of the B.S.M. Pandora which is named Away Team https://www.gmtgames.com/p-1013-away-team-the-voyages-of-the-pandora.aspx

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/374993/away-team-voyages-pandora

e: Oh wow, I hadn't realized but John Butterfield is actually even the game's original designer!

quote:

Forty years ago, John Butterfield designed The Voyage of the BSM Pandora, the ground-breaking solitaire paragraph-driven game for SPI. Now John takes his branching narrative game concept into a new dimension with Away Team: The Voyages of the Pandora.

The Eyes Have It fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Nov 19, 2022

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ha ! Was literally here to post that. I'm absolutely in for a new edition, the map graphics look great.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Made the cut in 16 hours, one of the fastest P500 ever apparently.

Funzo
Dec 6, 2002

The only P500 game I jumped on was Border Reivers. Still waiting for that to ship, although it says it's "In Art and Final Development" so maybe sometime in 2024 I'll see it.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Another update - theoretically we'll get the ability to pay QML for shipping as soon as tomorrow.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

https://www.qmlogistics.com/blacklist/

Another update - theoretically we'll get the ability to pay QML for shipping as soon as tomorrow.

Looks like I’m in the smoke test group. $31 shipping to get the copy I already paid for, extra copies are $125+$86 shipping. I’m in Colorado in case that changes the number.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

That seems excessive.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.
It's not great, but I'll spend another $31 to get my minis if that's what it costs.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

armorer posted:

It's not great, but I'll spend another $31 to get my minis if that's what it costs.

This is about how I feel. It was a screaming deal to start with, it’s substantially less of one now but I’d rather pay it and get the things than stay mad and not pay it out of principle.

Edit: and it is also two loving gigantic boxes, and it’s currently the holidays. It’s better than I was afraid of, honestly.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Elden ring is live and there are already over 1000 orders and it's been ten minutes

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Elden ring is live and there are already over 1000 orders and it's been ten minutes

Is this one by the same people who did the dark souls board game and TTRPG?

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

Arrrthritis posted:

Yes

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Arrrthritis posted:

Yes, Steamforged, which kills any interest I might have had in it

Highlights: a $90 entry pledge which includes weeping peninsula enemies only (basically just the misbegotten)

$180 core pledge for limgrave
a separate stormveil castle expansion which has godrick

two other ks exclusive expansions, one with agheel and one with an erdtree avatar

so that’s five expansions to not even get out of limgrave, and although each of the non-exclusive expansions has four tarnished, you only get eight across the whole ($430) all-in pledge - the four from the core are duplicated, two each in the expansions. An all-in pledge for this thing is going to end up being like $5k and take up an entire wall of shelving

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from

hypnophant posted:

Yes, Steamforged, which kills any interest I might have had in it

Yeah I wasn't a fan of the board game, and the Tabletop RPG looked like an absolute mess when it came out. I'm pretty sure this will be hot garbage as well so i'll pass on this.

Desfore
Jun 8, 2011

Confirmed at least one furry on the Smash team
Yeah, in the blog posts leading up to the campaign, they said trying to tackle all (or I guess even a representative amount) of Eldin Ring's content, like they already struggled to do with Dark Souls & Bloodborne, would just end up terribly. So, the campaign is just gonna be the Weeping Peninsula & Limgrave, and then they're gonna keep pumping out expansions over years. I don't have any faith that it'll be a good game system, but... I'm a sucker for plastic models...

Edit: the expansion structure of this really feels weird. Sure, it's modular and you can pick whichever path you want the campaign to go, I guess. But just from looking at the box contents, it really feels like you'll be getting a ton of repeat content in the cards & tokens to make that work. Also, the new boss-fight mechanic where you fight on a separate board means that they've put new boards in the boss expansions... but they're all just grids with a different background?

Desfore fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Nov 22, 2022

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

my main issue with the game is 90+ hours just sounds exhausting. and who is possibly going to replay that?

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

Considering they show you 1000 minis before even touching gameplay I vote 90% will buy and play a few missions then shelve because it sucks. Prove me wrong, but it reeks of mini bloat KS game #3477

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

I’m tapping out and I own a lot of the original Dark Souls and the all-in of the CMON Eric Lang-designed Bloodborne. I’m highly hesitant to buy the new revised Dark Souls core sets too because they’re way overpriced and duplicate player classes/minis from previous sets.

They just haven’t really landed on a good set of rules for their stuff, it’s mostly just the mini appeal. I have Bardsung and it’s another muddled grindy game with some nice minis.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
plus i got my shipping notification from cephalofair today

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Considering they show you 1000 minis before even touching gameplay I vote 90% will buy and play a few missions then shelve because it sucks. Prove me wrong, but it reeks of mini bloat KS game #3477

I hear that's what happened for Horizon Zero Dawn, which they also made. Some people liked the Dark Souls (which they also made) game but I think it was a similar situation.

also there's a Last of Us board game too, if anyone's interested

GreenBuckanneer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Nov 23, 2022

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
While it's on my mind, how did the Bloodborne board game turn out?

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

grassy gnoll posted:

While it's on my mind, how did the Bloodborne board game turn out?

It has cool concepts but it really needs some house rules to be fun. They tried to put a lot of the game's difficulty into the board game by adding things like respawning enemies, but also combined that with a short time to accomplish all the objectives, and a rule that states that you have to restart the whole campaign if you lose a scenario. It might be better at higher player counts, but solo and two-handed it was really rough in the first mission. The minis are cool though, and it has a lot of minor bloodborne lore that you might enjoy if you're one of those types who read every item description in the video game.

Right now I'm debating between finding a better storage solution for the whole thing and just selling it, because it takes up so much shelf space and I have a ton of better story-driven dungeon crawler campaign miniature piles that will be taking up my boardgaming time for the foreseeable future.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?

Vidmaster posted:

It has cool concepts but it really needs some house rules to be fun. They tried to put a lot of the game's difficulty into the board game by adding things like respawning enemies, but also combined that with a short time to accomplish all the objectives, and a rule that states that you have to restart the whole campaign if you lose a scenario. It might be better at higher player counts, but solo and two-handed it was really rough in the first mission. The minis are cool though, and it has a lot of minor bloodborne lore that you might enjoy if you're one of those types who read every item description in the video game.

Right now I'm debating between finding a better storage solution for the whole thing and just selling it, because it takes up so much shelf space and I have a ton of better story-driven dungeon crawler campaign miniature piles that will be taking up my boardgaming time for the foreseeable future.

I heard the dark souls board game needed a bunch of house ruling to make it fun and not a boring rear end grind

Saltpowered
Apr 12, 2010

Chief Executive Officer
Awful Industries, LLC

Vidmaster posted:

I have this laser ox organizer and it’s great:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/1266159338/

You have to store the Minis separately but you can get all the non-mini components in a single box.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Vidmaster posted:

It has cool concepts but it really needs some house rules to be fun. They tried to put a lot of the game's difficulty into the board game by adding things like respawning enemies, but also combined that with a short time to accomplish all the objectives, and a rule that states that you have to restart the whole campaign if you lose a scenario.

This is all factually true, but imo does not prevent the game from being highly enjoyable rules-as-written - but obviously this is highly subjective. If you like games that give you space and freedom to explore then you'd probably feel the same as Vidmaster. If you enjoy games that are super-tight and require you to min-max every turn in order to succeed, then I felt the game works extremely well as is. Like Gloomhaven, it is very much a puzzle-game not a high-randomness dungeon-crawler. I'd argue if anything it's even more deterministic and puzzly than Gloomhaven since enemies don't have AI, they only respond to your actions and the deck of cards they use for attacks is very small (6 cards) and therefore largely predictable or can be (and needs to be) gamed to your advantage.

We've played through probably 6 or 7 campaigns now (which are 3 scenarios long, usually about 3-4 hours) and I really, really like the core mechanics of the game. The only house-rule we've applied is that we don't restart the entire campaign if we fail a scenario, we either just restart that scenario or if it's too late just accept the loss.

My major criticisms of it would be that the scenario design is not very interesting - most missions have you doing broadly the same stuff, again not dissimilar from Gloomhaven. It feels like there would have been room for far more creativity here. Thankfully, since the enemies are all quite different particularly if you have the KS extras, there's enough variety for me in tackling the challenges that the different enemies create to keep the game fun. The lack of variance in scenario design though does mean it's more the sort of game I'd pull out every few months, play through a full campaign, and shelve again for a while rather than one I'd play week after week (although we did do that when it was new since learning the game's systems was a lot of fun).

The bigger issue I have - though again it's not a deal-breaker - is that the bosses in the game are anti-climatic. They generally don't behave that differently from the normal minions except that they have more health, and their behaviour is less predictable. The game also tends to 'lock' you into a single room for the boss fights. What this means is that compared to fighting minions, boss fights are less dynamic since you often can't move around that much and more random, which means that the games greatest strengths of allowing you to accurately predict and plan your moves to optimise things are largely gone when fighting bosses. I feel this was a major oversight and possibly something that could be improved with house rules though it's not immediately evident how you'd go about that.

Otherwise, I think it's a great game and one that I see myself keeping for some time which is saying quite a bit since I keep my collection to about 60 games or fewer.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/talesofdabloonia/tales-of-dabloonia

hmmmmmmmm

I have the sneaking suspicion that this creator has not put a lot of thought into their game idea

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

FirstAidKite posted:

hmmmmmmmm

I have the sneaking suspicion that this creator has not put a lot of thought into their game idea

Reading this Kickstarter pitch has afforded me far more knowledge of what "dabloons" are than all the third-hand babble I've seen on Twitter, and I still have no idea.

Guuse
May 11, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

hmmmmmmmm

I'm pretty sure this project is what terminal taxoplasmosis looks like.

Stickman
Feb 1, 2004

I dunno a current Phd candidate seems like exactly the kind of person that’ll have loads of spare time to finish an unspecified open-ended card game with built-in feature creep :shrug:

Vidmaster
Oct 26, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

hmmmmmmmm

Always inspirational to see a project that is $3 funded. Like not even your mom or SO could be bothered to go in for a copy of the game to make it look good?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Just got my shipping notification for a bunch of Level99 games stuff -- the Empyreal mini expansion, BattleCON errata, MB errata, the Grand Chronicle book.... it's nice

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

It's finally happening...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

jivjov posted:

Just got my shipping notification for a bunch of Level99 games stuff -- the Empyreal mini expansion, BattleCON errata, MB errata, the Grand Chronicle book.... it's nice

BattleCON is the game that eventually saw me swear off 1v1 dueling games. If I can't get anyone to play my MOUNTAINS of BattleCON with me, what's the point of buying any lesser games?