Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
What are the upsides and downsides towards refrigerating opened ketchup bottles? I've always kept them in the fridge once they're opened but most people's houses I visit don't bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It will probably keep its color and flavor longer in the fridge but it’s unlikely to go bad sitting out on the counter.

postmodifier
Nov 24, 2004

The LIQUOR BOTTLES are out in full force.
MOM is surely nearby.

DoctorWhat posted:

What are the upsides and downsides towards refrigerating opened ketchup bottles? I've always kept them in the fridge once they're opened but most people's houses I visit don't bother.

There's enough acid, salt and other preservatives in commercial ketchup that it's shelf stable, you can note that it says "for best results, refrigerate after opening" instead of a straight imperative to chill it

I prefer room temp ketchup because it's less viscous, and honestly having worked in a bunch of restaurants, what you should be more worried about is that they often make the wait staff combine a shitton of those open bottles together, so next time you use diner ketchup just know it's probably like six bottles of ketchup knife-dinged into one

enjoy

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
For the record, I only use ketchup as an ingredient, I abhor the texture and temperature gap of using it as a condiment or dip, so viscousness doesn't factor into it when I'm making sloppy joe.

Thanks for the info.

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
I have a small boat/ship question. I'm researching small ships like trimarans or other multihull ships for an ocean-based ttrpg. Sometimes a photo of a trimaran will have netting over the main body to an outrigger (the arms on the side, if I have misunderstood that term). Other small ships will have this, too. What is the point of the netting? What is it used for? Why is it on sometimes and not other times?

Any answers or places to find answers are greatly appreciated.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

10dishOkiku posted:

I have a small boat/ship question. I'm researching small ships like trimarans or other multihull ships for an ocean-based ttrpg. Sometimes a photo of a trimaran will have netting over the main body to an outrigger (the arms on the side, if I have misunderstood that term). Other small ships will have this, too. What is the point of the netting? What is it used for? Why is it on sometimes and not other times?

It's mostly just a safety measure. In a smaller cata/trimaran in strong winds, it's not at all uncommon for one of the outriggers to be lifted up out of the water, rolling the entire ship. In that case you may want people to go and sit on the outrigger to act as a counterweight (as the ship will usually go faster the more upright it remains), so there's a risk for people to lose their footing and fall into the space between the main hull and outrigger. In more sporty ships people will usually be harnessed directly to a line to prevent that from happening, so that may be one reason why you might not see them.

Apart from that, if you're doing more of a pleasure cruise kinda thing, they're basically a comfy hammock to chill in when you're at anchor.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

10dishOkiku posted:

It's to walk on.

https://multihullnets.com/Guide/Guide.aspx

"The net is installed to give more functional space on your boat while still allowing air and water to flow through as required by the boat design. This space should be stable enough to access and work on any areas required on your boat."

10dishOkiku
Jul 28, 2010

7...8...9...9...9...10!
Thank you both thepopmonster and Perestroika!

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Are spin mops a good choice?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Does anyone know of any good techniques or tools for measuring how good a job I'm doing of a) standing straight, and b) evenly distributing my weight onto both feet?

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

What are these?

I bought a pack of them from a local Chinese grocery. They're quite tasty. They absolutely stink, though - I guess they're probably fermented? There's a chain of restaurant near me that usually has the same smell coming out of it, so I'm really curious what it actually is.

Funnily enough they have a really nice aftertaste. I think I enjoy the aftertaste more than the taste when eating them. I don't know any other food I've had that's like that...

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Hyperlynx posted:

They absolutely stink, though - I guess they're probably fermented?

funnily enough in English this food is just called Stinky Tofu
specifically this one is "changsha stinky tofu" (i just looked at your picture through the Google Lens app on my phone and it translated it for me)

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Nov 24, 2022

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

Google image search yields results for fermented/stinky tofu.

Edit: Dern. Too slow.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Oh nice! I did try a translating camera app thing myself, but it I guess it didn't translate hard enough...

Hyperlynx fucked around with this message at 00:51 on Nov 24, 2022

DildenAnders
Mar 16, 2016

"I recommend Batman especially, for he tends to transcend the abysmal society in which he's found himself. His morality is rather rigid, also. I rather respect Batman.â€Â
I now have enough savings, stable income and interest rates are decent enough to get a savings account, what is a smart way to go about that? I am clueless. If it helps I have about $15k in a checking account at a major bank atm with no interest and no fees.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

DildenAnders posted:

I now have enough savings, stable income and interest rates are decent enough to get a savings account, what is a smart way to go about that? I am clueless. If it helps I have about $15k in a checking account at a major bank atm with no interest and no fees.

Ask the BFC Newbies thread for advice. Savings may not be the appropriate place for your money, depending on your needs and goals.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Does anyone know of any good techniques or tools for measuring how good a job I'm doing of a) standing straight, and b) evenly distributing my weight onto both feet?

You can ask over in YLLS, but the answer you'll get is that moving around on a regular basis is more important than staying still in the right pose.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

DildenAnders posted:

Easiest thing is to open one at the same bank, but you can probably find higher interest rates elsewhere. Look for "high interest savings," seems like 3% is the rate to beat atm but that's just from a cursory look. A lot of them offer high % yield on the first 5k or something like that, less yield on the rest. Some people even game this by opening such accounts at multiple banks with similar deals.

Maybe also post in the BFC newbies thread where they probably have more up to date info.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

ultrafilter posted:

You can ask over in YLLS, but the answer you'll get is that moving around on a regular basis is more important than staying still in the right pose.

I use a standing desk already, but that's not a guarantee of anything. But you're right, YLLS is the right venue for this kind of question.

NotNut
Feb 4, 2020
Why do Allstate and State Farm both have "state" in their names?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
What is an audio codec, why are there so many, and why do I never have the correct one?

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

YggiDee posted:

What is an audio codec, why are there so many, and why do I never have the correct one?

They are different algorithms for compressing and storing sound.

An analogy would be compression formats like .zip and .rar but instead of being separate files, a video file can have the audio stored within the file in different formats. Similarly the video portion of the file can be stored in different codecs like H.264 or MPEG-4.

So the software playing the file will need to have support for both the video and audio codecs used in the file.

That said, I have not needed to deal with individual file formats or codec issues in years thanks to programs like VLC that pretty much always play any file out of the box.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Probably no one knows the answer to this, but it's a mystery that's got a firm hold on my brain so I've got to ask in case anyone has a better guess than I do.

Every YouTube channel has an RSS feed. The URL will be something like https://www.youtube.com/feeds/videos.xml?channel_id=UCJpPXZwyo0fgu3h94R3P5pA

They used to have a relartively prominent link to the feed URL and a FAQ about how to subscribe. They haven't had either of those for a while, but the metadata was embedded (so a browser with built-in RSS capabilities could add a button to subscribe to the interface), and if you knew to look for it you could still find the channel ID to subscribe manually. But it seemed like they didn't want people to use it.

They've recently changed the way channel pages work, and that RSS metadata is gone, and the channel ID is even harder (but not impossible) to find.

It really seems like they don't want anyone using RSS.

So why are they still allowing it? If they don't want anyone using it, why not turn it off? If they wanted people to use it they wouldn't keep burying it further and further underground where no one can see it. But if they don't want people to use it, what's it for? Why is it still there?

The most plausible possibility I could come up with is that they've forgotten it exists. No one's supporting it, but no one's gotten rid of it, because no one knows it's there. But that seems unlikely. It's not exactly a secret. You can easily find various guides on accessing it. People know about this feature. But what other explanation could there be for making it as inconvenient as possible to use but not just killing it outright?

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

From software development, my experience is that it's probably a feature almost no one uses, so they want to spend as little resources on it as possible. This means hiding it so no one will begin using it, but also not getting rid of it, because properly removing it also takes time. Also the two guys (that's you) who uses it would complain.

At some point, other changes will break the RSS feed functionality and maybe then it will be removed, or more likely just be left at vestigial broken code.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

The year it was released, there was a kind of trailer promoting the Alfonso Cuaron adaptation of Children of Men with quotes by critics and using “Running the World” by Jarvis Crocker. I can’t find it. Does anyone know if it’s still out there?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

e: Re YouTube rss

On the other hand it could be that someone did notice this got used 'too much' to avoid all the user hostile garbage on the website and they're making it more difficult to access so that later on they'll have the metrics to prove that indeed nobody is using it and they're justified in scrapping it.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

YggiDee posted:

As for why there's so many: decoding audio is a valuable thing for a computer to do, but it also poses a number of challenges around audio fidelity, disk space utilization, and CPU utilization. It's only been in the last 20 years or so that we could take it as given that any computer would be able to provide high-quality sound output without struggling. Prior to that point there were a ton of different codecs that optimized for different things. For example:

- .wav optimizes for low CPU utilization and high fidelity, but as a consequence uses a ton of storage space.
- MIDI optimizes for low storage space and CPU utilization, but does so by basically being sheet music for a set of "instruments", which means that a) it can't do arbitrary sounds, and b) if you don't have the right instruments installed then it won't sound right on your machine.
- .mp3 and .ogg both have adjustable bitrates, meaning that they can trade off disk utilization and fidelity depending on your needs. But they have fairly high CPU loads.

A few other newer formats exist mostly for bad reasons. Apple invented some new codecs so that it could use DRM to make sure you could only play them if you'd bought the songs off of the iTunes music store. .ogg exists in the first place because .mp3 had some patent restrictions or something on it, that meant that software developers that wanted to include MP3 decoders in their code had to pay a license fee.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Relevant xkcd https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/standards.png

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

and then there's flac, which i is uncompressed, and therefore lossless. i'm not really sure what differentiates it from wav, as i'm pretty sure it's lossless too? and if it's the purest digitization an audio sample can get, theoretically, wouldn't they be identical?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Flac is losslessly compressed. Lossy compression (eg mp3) actually ditches data that is considered inaudible. Flac can be reconstructed to the original audio, bit accurate. It's like wav, but takes less space.

E: Flac is like putting a pillow in a vacuum storage bag. Mp3 is like saying 'no one will notice if we remove some handfuls of feathers as well to make this even more compact'. Wav is just the pillow.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 18:38 on Nov 24, 2022

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

As for why there's so many: decoding audio is a valuable thing for a computer to do, but it also poses a number of challenges around audio fidelity, disk space utilization, and CPU utilization. It's only been in the last 20 years or so that we could take it as given that any computer would be able to provide high-quality sound output without struggling. Prior to that point there were a ton of different codecs that optimized for different things. For example:

- .wav optimizes for low CPU utilization and high fidelity, but as a consequence uses a ton of storage space.
- MIDI optimizes for low storage space and CPU utilization, but does so by basically being sheet music for a set of "instruments", which means that a) it can't do arbitrary sounds, and b) if you don't have the right instruments installed then it won't sound right on your machine.
- .mp3 and .ogg both have adjustable bitrates, meaning that they can trade off disk utilization and fidelity depending on your needs. But they have fairly high CPU loads.

A few other newer formats exist mostly for bad reasons. Apple invented some new codecs so that it could use DRM to make sure you could only play them if you'd bought the songs off of the iTunes music store. .ogg exists in the first place because .mp3 had some patent restrictions or something on it, that meant that software developers that wanted to include MP3 decoders in their code had to pay a license fee.

I think it's a stretch to call midi an "audio codec." It really is sheet music for a soundcard's midi driver. It does not encode actual audio signals.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I mentioned it because it's an example of one of the ways people approached sound design on earlier computers. It's not a codec, no, but it showed up in the same spaces that codecs did. MIDI got used for a lot of stuff, and for a long time was the only realistic way to share songs online.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Oh yeah, my midi collection was my proudest thing when I was 10

MyronMulch
Nov 12, 2006

I'm sure you used this device to organize them like most of us in the late 70's early 80's

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=puVYtkh-LO4

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

YggiDee posted:

The other posters gave pretty good advice about the difference between audio formats, but didn't quite go into what a codec is:
Codec stands for "encoder/decoder", and it's the piece of software that's specifically in charge of translating raw soundwave data into the compressed form of a format like mp3, flac, opus, etc. (Codecs exist for video formats too.)

When your music player, browser, etc encounters an mp3 file, it doesn't interpret the file itself. It has to call out to the specific "mp3 codec" somewhere on your system, which will transform that compressed file back into a raw waveform format that the program can do something with or your speakers understand.

Some formats use patented techniques, including the h.265 video codec (which is one of a few different ones that can be used for an .mp4 video) and in the past the mp3 audio codec (although it expired in the US in 2017). That means nobody can write their own codec software without the permission of the owners, meaning basically you gotta pay them to use them. So if I am a software developer making a video player, I cannot distribute the h.265 codec with my player, and my player will be unable to read those videos unless somebody else puts it there.

Microsoft now pays money to the h.265 people to include their codec with Windows, but in earlier versions they didn't and you wouldn't have been able to play those videos without downloading the codec externally or paying for it. That's also why Google created the webm format -- the main competing video formats were all patented formats, and they wanted a "one true format" that would be portable and usable anywhere without having to pay for a license. Mostly because of Chrome and Youtube.
So they made their own vp8 format and codec, free with a permanent royalty-free license so anyone can use it.

Hyperlynx
Sep 13, 2015

Flipperwaldt posted:

Flac is losslessly compressed. Lossy compression (eg mp3) actually ditches data that is considered inaudible. Flac can be reconstructed to the original audio, bit accurate. It's like wav, but takes less space.

E: Flac is like putting a pillow in a vacuum storage bag. Mp3 is like saying 'no one will notice if we remove some handfuls of feathers as well to make this even more compact'. Wav is just the pillow.

To follow on from this, flac is compressed in the same was a zip file is compressed. You can unzip a zip file and get all your data back exactly the same as it was before it was compressed. You can't do that with mp3 or ogg, which are lossy compression.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I want to get my wife a book on Architecture, like what all the different styles are, how to recognize them, examples, etc. She likes old buildings but doesn't really know what to say about them.

I have zero clue, and I don't really know what a 'good' book on the subject would really look like. Does anyone have any good ideas? Cheers!

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
My dad is sort of an architect and I was trying to find some of the books he had on like, door styles and the genres of windows and stuff but I think this one will fit the bill.

Architecture: A Visual History https://a.co/d/1FjXpsn

Once you know the general eras and trends you can then dig in a bit deeper with specifics. Like going from “18th century house architecture” to “Georgian windows”. And that might take you to a book or stuff just on georgian houses.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?
I'm not Catholic or religious but I enjoy the occasional Gregorian and Ambrosian chant. Random wikipedia search says there used to be other types of chants in the old roman tradition. Does anyone know what they were or if they were any good?

Edit: \/\/ Neat! Thanks

Dirt5o8 fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 25, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
I have a soft spot for Corsican chant. It was suppressed in favor of universalizing Gregorian chant. I think it’s beautiful.

https://youtu.be/n9nfy_j9qmg