Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
I'm mostly using the quests in GAMMA as an excuse to go places and explore, but I can't say I'm paying particularly close attention to the words being said. It's just a bread crumb trail to follow while I attempt to make my way north and build the perfect FAL and/or Vintorez rifle.

In that sense, I think I prefer their existence over an alternative where they simply don't exist--so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

I think that the story quests in Anomaly would be improved if it was possible to start them without looking up a guide.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just survived an emission by ripping a fat blunt

It's good to be back in The Zone

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

I think the timeline is:
- Misery is a mod for Call of Pripyat
- Call of Chernobyl is a mod that smushes the maps from all three games into a single space. It adds some new maps of its own too, some cut content and at least one is entirely new. Also makes a ton of improvements to the engine. But the gameplay is very vanilla, keeping the basic set of weapons for example and not adding content mods of that sort. So it's a great base for playing and modding further.
- Call of Misery is a mod that brings Misery gameplay and Call of Chernobyl together. It tweaks a bunch of gameplay on top of that and is a very well put together mod that was a significant amount of thoughtful work. It is a blast to play.
- Other mods start building on top of Call of Misery, including Dead Air which is the follow-up by the modder who did CoM.
- Anomaly as I recall started with one of the mods that built upon CoM whose name I forget but which was an ugly unbalanced mess. Anomaly comes around when the source leak has taken hold and makes dramatic improvements and changes to the engine. It also has gameplay and balance at least as good as CoM.
- Gamma etc are modpacks that build on Anomaly as the base. These modpacks are similar to Wabbajack elsewhere, they bring together existing mods but tweak how they all interact, change and tweak balance and gameplay, and add innovations of their own.

Anomaly started to happen as I dropped out of Stalker modding, which was just as Dead Air was coming out, so I'm shaky on those parts of the history.

Gamma looks brilliant. Y'all's descriptions have me wanting to get back into Stalker.

This video showed it off really well. Apparently the guy did a precursor video talking about what and how guys it was that got 500k views and brought moddb to its knees for a free days:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOsLcYowKp8

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

If anyone's looking to run Anomaly or GAMMA on the Steam Deck, a couple of useful links:
- Anomaly on the Deck
- GAMMA on the Deck

I'm going to get Anomaly running first, then look at GAMMA. From what I read both can run at a smooth 40/40 with the reshade and a couple of shader mods disabled.

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
So what you're all saying is I can't actually play an updated engine Shadow of Chernobyl then clear skies and such.. but I can play anomaly which mashed them all together and has its own weird story quests if I want but it's basically a roaming game without a finish?

Tempora Mutantur
Feb 22, 2005

Fall Dog posted:

For those that are interested, Zero Sievert is now available in early access on Steam.

as someone who never really got into stalker or escape from tarkov because of the amount of time it takes to play/walk everywhere, I'm enjoying Zero Sievert because it's waaay more casual/arcadey and the maps are much smaller (plus it's single player so I can just pause it like stalker anyway)

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Namnesor posted:

I just survived an emission by ripping a fat blunt

It's good to be back in The Zone

That's also how you recover psi health in GAMMA.

Blazing a joint because your guy has seen some poo poo

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

TipsyMcStagger posted:

So what you're all saying is I can't actually play an updated engine Shadow of Chernobyl then clear skies and such.. but I can play anomaly which mashed them all together and has its own weird story quests if I want but it's basically a roaming game without a finish?

Yes. Think of it as a new thing using all of the old assets with a sandbox focus.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Just got into the artifact crafting side of GAMMA. While artifacts are no longer the economy breaking commodity that they were in Anomaly since they start off in low condition in GAMMA, you can eventually craft them into very powerful artifacts for the end game, and even the non-radioactive, generic "perk" artifacts can be useful to you. Here's some tips for artifacts.

- Save all your artifacts if you want to craft the high end artifacts as even the generic ones are parts of recipes for higher tier artifacts. You'll need a lot of duplicates too in order to empower artifacts up to full condition since artifacts won't give all their effects at low condition.

- Buy up spare artefact melters from ecologists when you can. You technically can recharge the artefact melter by melting down artifacts, and I still do that with generic artifacts that aren't used in recipes, but the cost of buying new artefact melters is relatively cheap compared to melting down precious artifacts to power up the device.

- Start crafting up a lot of lead lined containers so you can safely access your radioactive artifacts. If you store artifacts uncontained in your workshop inventory, it counts as being in your inventory when you open the crafting menu so you'll take a million rads this way. Luckily, the recipe for lead line containers is very simple and components easily obtained from miscellaneous scrap.

- Look out for the "Bat" artifact which upgrades artifacts into higher tiers. It's like saving you several rounds of upgrades and artifacts.

- Aslan in Dead City tends to award a lot of artifacts and even Bats in the lottery patch. It's a good way of supplementing your artifact hunting if you have a lot of patches and a merc outfit to disguise yourself

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

moot the hopple posted:

- Start crafting up a lot of lead lined containers so you can safely access your radioactive artifacts. If you store artifacts uncontained in your workshop inventory, it counts as being in your inventory when you open the crafting menu so you'll take a million rads this way. Luckily, the recipe for lead line containers is very simple and components easily obtained from miscellaneous scrap.

For this reason I put the artifacts in a separate box.

The workshops themselves are fairly easy to make too, just a pile of wood and metal scrap, so you could also just make two of them if you want the convenience, certainly easier I think than trying to make enough LLMCs.

Also, some elements of artifacts do not scale, such as basic health regen and weight carried, so repairing these generally only makes them worse by increasing their negative effects, though if you want to craft them into higher tier versions it is useful to upgrade the basic ones as the condition will carry forwards. For immediate use though you can use them beaten up.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Nov 20, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime
i ended up putting almost everything into different boxes because the inventory lag when opening the workshop became ubearable.

ammo and ammo crafting poo poo in one box (i should really make this box another workshop entirely, as it's annoying to have to take poo poo out of it to craft vs just doing it in the workshop interface), weapon/armor parts and repair kits in the workshop stash, unfixed weapons and armor in another, fixed weapons and armor in another, monster parts + food + artifacts, and a final one for misc (like steel wool, duct tape, stalker patches etc) and healing items .

this significantly cut down on the inventory lag, and is also when i realized that the reason my game was freezing every time i looted a body or opened my bag was because I had like 400+ stalker patches and 5000 + ammo crafting poo poo in my inventory. not having to wait 10 seconds to use the work shop every time i repaired or crafted something was nice. now it's merely 4 seconds.

also worth noting, I encountered 2 other people on the discord that had this issue. but I would not store perk artifacts in your workshop stash. They kept disappearing for me. I lost ~20+ perk artifacts to this.

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Nov 20, 2022

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OwlFancier posted:

For this reason I put the artifacts in a separate box.

The workshops themselves are fairly easy to make too, just a pile of wood and metal scrap, so you could also just make two of them if you want the convenience, certainly easier I think than trying to make enough LLMCs.

Also, some elements of artifacts do not scale, such as basic health regen and weight carried, so repairing these generally only makes them worse by increasing their negative effects, though if you want to craft them into higher tier versions it is useful to upgrade the basic ones as the condition will carry forwards. For immediate use though you can use them beaten up.

I actually think making enough LLMCs to hold your artifacts is the more convenient option so you can access all your artifacts and know what you have/need when browsing the recipes from the crafting menu. That's incredibly useful when you're trying to figure out the branching paths for artifact upgrading. Otherwise you have to refer back and forth from your crafting menu to your separate storage where you're keeping your artifacts.

There's also a bug where artifacts lose condition if you put them in storage outside of containers (it's a known issue and is apparently being looked into). Like I said, the LLMC recipe is incredibly cheap and I've been able to craft enough for all my excess radioactive artifacts from just looted scrap.

Farm Frenzy
Jan 3, 2007

unless they've completely overhauled it in the last year the anomaly campaign is a really stupid romhack-style remix of the OG campaigns that just crams in tons of enemies to every mission and ruins the atmosphere

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Tabletops posted:

i ended up putting almost everything into different boxes because the inventory lag when opening the workshop became ubearable.

Also i filled the workshop weight limit.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

OwlFancier posted:

Also i filled the workshop weight limit.

i turned on infinite stashes cause that poo poo's bullshit i don't wanna deal with lol

Tibbeh
Apr 5, 2010

Farm Frenzy posted:

unless they've completely overhauled it in the last year the anomaly campaign is a really stupid romhack-style remix of the OG campaigns that just crams in tons of enemies to every mission and ruins the atmosphere

Honestly it's about the same level of enemies I remember dealing with in SoC, so it's fairly minimal in the beginning and then at the end it's the usual horde of monolith death squads

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
All the activity in this thread made me decide to check out GAMMA after having not touched the STALKER games in years, any recommended tweaks/settings before I dive in, or are all the defaults fine? There's a lot here and I'm worried it might be a Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 situation where there's a few "you absolutely want to change this but you won't know about it if you're a first time player" things.

8 Ball
Nov 27, 2010

My hands are all messed up so you better post, brother.

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All the activity in this thread made me decide to check out GAMMA after having not touched the STALKER games in years, any recommended tweaks/settings before I dive in, or are all the defaults fine? There's a lot here and I'm worried it might be a Jagged Alliance 2 1.13 situation where there's a few "you absolutely want to change this but you won't know about it if you're a first time player" things.

Just play it and see, it’s set up to be modular so anything you don’t like you can deactivate in the mod list. Be sure to make a note of what you take out though as every time you run the updated it’ll re-enable everything and overwrite any changes you make to the mod files.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One thing you might want to do along the lines of what you ask, is going into the mod configuration menu from the main menu, going to the stealth menu, and setting the values to default. I wasn't having too many issues before doing so myself, but after I saw it suggested in the thread I tried it, and the few instances I had where I'd wander right into a hostile camp and have enemies stare at me without caring and letting me chat them up were all gone.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

moot the hopple posted:

Here's an incredibly useful Zone Handbook for GAMMA.

There's a section on repair with easy visuals that does a much better job than what I was trying to explain in so many words in my other post.

Quoting this for easy finding of the link and the preceding detailed post.

Last few pages have been very helpful for someone who never really got into the Misery 2 repair system, to say nothing of all that's followed.

Deck report: GAMMA runs well at 30-40 fps with reshade and the screen space shaders disabled. Haven't done any tweaking beyond that so far but once I do, I may re-enable both the reshade and the ss shaders. 30 fps is fine on that small screen.

GAMMA uses PowerShell in its installer so you have to install on a Windows PC and copy it over. Didn't find a straightforward way to get those PS scripts to work with Proton.

Also, renaming your GAMMA link in Steam to be exactly 'S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Anomaly' and then going to Community controller bindings will show you quite a few heavily configured and useful ones so you don't have to start from scratch.

The controller config with the most likes uses the trackpads for both wasd and mouse. The right trackpad even lets you click to lean while left has press to run. Trackpad-only is going to take some learning, but this is a good excuse to. I'll probably change much of the rest of that config but movement/look are done very well.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
I finally got to 2000 rep with the ecologists to unlock the special PSU batteries for power armor and happened to shortly after murk a squad of mercs, one of whom was wearing a mercenary exoskeleton that I've already fixed up. Just need to make a trip to Yantar and Jupiter to buy up the recipes now. Luckily I've been saving up the artifacts needed to craft the PSU's. I'm hoping the rest of the components aren't too bad.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

moot the hopple posted:

I finally got to 2000 rep with the ecologists to unlock the special PSU batteries for power armor and happened to shortly after murk a squad of mercs, one of whom was wearing a mercenary exoskeleton that I've already fixed up. Just need to make a trip to Yantar and Jupiter to buy up the recipes now. Luckily I've been saving up the artifacts needed to craft the PSU's. I'm hoping the rest of the components aren't too bad.

Just when I figured out--literally today--that you repair triggers with multitools (I couldn't figure out what the equivalent of a ramrod or file was for that particular part, and just figured "well I guess they're delicate, so maybe you don't repair them"), you come in here saying some crazy poo poo about special PSU batteries and crafting things with artifacts. I'm a ways behind.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Heads up, there's a big GAMMA update released today. To update, go into your "Grok's Modpack Installer" folder, launch the installer, Download GAMMA Data, and then do Full GAMMA installation. This will also reset your graphics settings and hotkeys, so be forewarned. You should see 346 active addons in MO2 if it worked properly (you'll also have to re-enable any of your optional addons as well).

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

Just when I figured out--literally today--that you repair triggers with multitools (I couldn't figure out what the equivalent of a ramrod or file was for that particular part, and just figured "well I guess they're delicate, so maybe you don't repair them"), you come in here saying some crazy poo poo about special PSU batteries and crafting things with artifacts. I'm a ways behind.

If you open the details of an object it will tell you what repairs it.

v1ld
Apr 16, 2012

There's an Old World Addon that makes Anomaly look, feel and play more like the original trilogy. Not for me, I'll be starting up Gamma for real this coming holiday weekend, but it looks cool nevertheless.

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

just an fyi, if you don't have expert tools yet you can still potentially repair an 'advanced' weapon. the only thing you can't repair fully is a barrel (because you can't swap them out outside of the toolkit interface)

so if you have a gun with atleast a 60% barrel, you can use a ramrod on it to fix the barrel. and then you can take out the individual parts and fix them with an advanced weapon repair thing (which you can buy from any technician) or if you can buy or have scavenged others that are working, repair them to 100% and then just drag and drop them onto the gun.

voila, 100% fixed advanced tool gun with no expert toolkit or advanced weapon kit.

moot the hopple posted:

Heads up, there's a big GAMMA update released today. To update, go into your "Grok's Modpack Installer" folder, launch the installer, Download GAMMA Data, and then do Full GAMMA installation. This will also reset your graphics settings and hotkeys, so be forewarned. You should see 346 active addons in MO2 if it worked properly (you'll also have to re-enable any of your optional addons as well).

is this save safe?

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

Tabletops posted:

is this save safe?

It should compatible with existing saves. I'll let you know as soon as I get off work to try it.

Here are the full GAMMA patch notes, looks like there was an AI rework included:

quote:

LIGHTWEIGHT UPDATES
Updates moved from 500mb downloads to 70mb downloads, paving the way for 1.0.

REWORKED AI:
@Larkin as been pulling his hair off for that one, producing a huge step forward to improve the AI, based on the Mora's more covered AI with tons of improvements. This is the first iteration of the reworked AI. AI should be more reactive to your shots, tend to flank you more, and work cooperatively to do so. They also use many more cover point and actually run towards them. This makes the AI harder to fight mainly because you can't passively headshot them easily in the open like before

REBALANCED AMMO
I compared all ammo real performances based on muzzle velocity and energy to balance the stats of the ammo and rifles. Many changes have been made, substantially changing the balance of the game without destroying the previous balance. You should feel at home, but the furnitures, the carpets and the TV got improved :GrokChadGAMMA: . Most noticeably:
- Ammo display their real nominal damages in their description alongside their penetration power
- 7.62x25 isn't a meme anymore and is actually useful by having AP and HP rounds, with a focus on penetration, which is what the round is good for
- 7.92 Mauser round got a boost in damage (and price)
- 9x21 is now the cheapest SMG AP round and has the highest SMG AP damage
- 5.7 has now the highest SMG AP rating, but has reduced damages
- 7.62x54r got a damage nerf and price reduction

Spreadsheet for more details: https://github.com/Grokitach/Stalker_GAMMA/raw/dev/G.A.M.M.A/modpack_addons/gamma_ammo_weapon_table.xlsx

REWORKED MELEE AND AXES
- Axes remodel and reanimation thanks to Barry Bogs
- Axes are now even better, but much harder to acquire and are now a real build choice. Axes have much more reach, are slower to use, and deal more damage and more armor penetration. On the other hand they only fit in main weapon slots and need to be 2 handed. They also need to be bought, and they weight over 4 to 8kg. Knives range decreased

GUNS
- Recoil stat changed to Recoil control stat: the higher, the lesser recoil
- Added the automatic RAPTR shotgun. loving finally, enjoy this mofo
- Added the KRISS Vector officially. Brrrrrrrrrrrrt without recoil
- MP7 and P90 have a laser and support many sights
- Many textures fixes thanks to TDog
- K98 replacer addon thanks to JadeyMoyaison
- Removal of K98 upgrade kit because of how good modded K98 is right now
- K98 modded can be more easily found on NPCs
- Bolt action rifles are more common
- Tommygun in 2 variants added thanks to Firebreath
- Reduced SR25 recoil, it's now the best 7.62x51 rifle in the game
- SKS Recoil increased
- All guns of one caliber deal the same damage, minus rare exceptions, especially for subsonic guns
- Increased FAL AUS and SA58 recoil

AUDIO
- Dark Signal guns, mutants and footsteps audio thanks to Shrike. PHENOMENAL WORK
- New controller audio thanks to Desman

QOL
- Crafting items actually display in their tooltips in which crafting recipes they are used 💚 thanks to Utjan
- Reduced Rostok population to improve performances
- Real artefacts mention that they don't degrade over time

BALANCE
- Hand grenades are rarer and can only be bought 1 by 1
- Tube grenades are more common
- Increased the timing between ZCP spawns by 1.5
- Starting loadouts changed

Pushed a small hotfix :wheeze:

- Activated GAMMA AI rework by default
- Bolt action rifles use rifle repair kit (advanced toolkit)

If you already launch the install > wait for it to finish > download gamma data > only install gamma addons

- Btw it’s not annotated, but 20x70 buckshot deals a bit less damage than 12x70 buckshots, but has a tighter grouping

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

moot the hopple posted:

It should compatible with existing saves. I'll let you know as soon as I get off work to try it.

Here are the full GAMMA patch notes, looks like there was an AI rework included:

was coming to edit cause i just read that in the discord.

seems like good changes, hope the ai rework is good and excited to hear the sound changes.

the axe changes are funny, the discord in general seemed to be in love with axes since you could put them in vision or whatever and they were really strong. making them even stronger but 4-8x heavier and take a main weapon slot is probably a good change

i like the minor description changes to ammo and weapons, like changing recoil to 'recoil control' (where higher is better) and absolute values on ammo instead of having to guess (like, no idea what the actual damage of .45 hydroshock is, just that it kills mutants faster than pretty much any other round in the game except the 6 gauge)

adding a .45? vector is pretty nuts, you should be able to take out any mutant in the game in like half a second with that. unless it's 9mm only, in which case i'll probably never use it lol

Tabletops fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Nov 22, 2022

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

If you open the details of an object it will tell you what repairs it.

I keep forgetting about that!

moot the hopple posted:

Thanks for this head's up.

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone
Existing save files work with the new patch btw.

A nice QoL feature they added is that components now show what recipes they are a part of when you hover over them. Should really help newcomers when you don't know what crafts into what or what you should keep (everything)

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

the what

Is there an elephant gun in the game that I didn't know about??

my lovely gun obsession is going to come back with a vengeance if so.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Nov 23, 2022

Tabletops
Jan 27, 2014

anime

OwlFancier posted:

the what

The ks-23 as well as a modified double barrel toz. It’s a 23mm cartridge.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I never found one of those, though I saw mod kits for it, I couldn't figure out what it was supposed to be based purely on the context clues.

Definitely might have to shove them into a toz though, fukkin love me a toz, would do the whole game with an over under if I could, wish you could put scopes on them.

Also on that note, why is the 20 gauge more powerful than the 12 gauge? It literally has a higher damage rating on the gun, it's bizzare.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

OwlFancier posted:

Also on that note, why is the 20 gauge more powerful than the 12 gauge? It literally has a higher damage rating on the gun, it's bizzare.

Because it's a bigger number (12 < 20). That's why Mark Wahlberg could literally blow doors off of walls with his 410 TAURUS JUDGE--the most powerful of them all.

EDIT: God bless that little 20 Gauge TOZ-106 I nurtured back to life early on in my run though. Put a little red dot on that thing and it carried me for quite a while before the novelties of a bolt-action magazine-fed 4-round shotgun (with no alternative ammo types?) became liabilities.

Cream-of-Plenty fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Nov 23, 2022

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's weird that the folding stock variant for some reason only holds 2 rounds and also can't take sights. Took me a long time to realize why the gently caress the gun has an entire bolt action and box magazine to hold An Bullet, when I found a full stock version.

Unfortunately I already had an 870 by then so it was a bit moot.

Still, honestly, kinda struggling to find something better than the 870, the long tube is nice even if it's not a proper semi auto, and it takes ages to reload. It's cheap and easy to maintain and everything else seems like too much investment for little improvement.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 23, 2022

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OwlFancier posted:

the what

There literally is one called the Chimera Hunter, it's a side-by-side double barrel that uses the 23mm shells which comes in slugs and buckshot.

The normal KS-23 variants are also all good. The ammo absolutely floors mutants while hilariously ragdolling and sending bodies flying

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boooo side by side

torn between my adoration of the over under with the prospect of being able to obliterate people

E: hmm I installed the update and now the scopes don't have the neat pseudo 3d effect when you aim down them.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 06:04 on Nov 23, 2022

moot the hopple
Apr 26, 2008

dyslexic Bowie clone

OwlFancier posted:

boooo side by side

torn between my adoration of the over under with the prospect of being able to obliterate people

E: hmm I installed the update and now the scopes don't have the neat pseudo 3d effect when you aim down them.

I think you have to go into MCM -> SSS -> turn on the setting. Or it might be something unrelated, I just saw in the announcements to do that for something regarding scopes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Did that and no effect, also the night vision is buggered, will try restarting. Seems to be affecting shaders generally.