Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Teams sitting in the #6 to #15 window are cursed. Almost by definition, they can't pick up good wins because they're generally beating 9 or 10 teams on the schedule or else you wouldn't rank them at that level. Then they face the paradoxical loss to a top five team. You drop out of the top ten because you...proved you're not a top five team?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Impressive how the floor just collapsed for the Vols defense. I feel real bad for Hendon, that's basically his NFL shot out the window, maybe he can be a coach and keep helping young people which seems to be what he really cares about.

do you think torn ligaments are beyond the reach of modern medicine orrrr

he’s set to be back in motion around the time NFL teams start summer workouts. his draft stock is certainly hurt, but this isn’t the 1960s.

like, both deshaun watson and joe burrow have had that injury in the last five years. it’s a year ender, not a career ender.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Nov 22, 2022

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Also Penn State is a fantastic job for two reasons: 1) Pennsylvanians are the most pessimistic people on Earth, which tempers expectations and 2) genetic predisposition to sticking with a football coach indefinitely.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Soul Glo posted:

do you think torn ligaments are beyond the reach of modern medicine orrrr

he’s set to be back in motion around the time NFL teams start summer workouts. his draft stock is certainly hurt, but this isn’t the 1960s.

I thought he was a 2nd/3rd round QB at best and maybe a 5th or 6th round dude just because of the offense and what he does best doesn't really translate super great to the NFL, but with an injury that will keep him from participating in the draft process I'm not saying he won't get a shot, but he's not gonna get the leash that getting drafted in a decent round would. I think he moves solidly from a dude you'd for sure draft to potential UDFA. I'd love to be wrong, but he wasn't high enough on draft boards really to think his stock will survive a massive knee injury that will prevent him from doing anything beyond interview before the draft.

I don't see a team spending a draft pick where you'd know for sure he's gonna get a solid opportunity to earn a roster spot with that injury as a dude that's mobile. I just don't see him being in good enough shape to get a roster spot next year for sure from a team, so unless some team really loves him and takes a flier, I think he's in a much tougher spot to actually stick in the NFL. Feels like he's a late round flier, that maybe ends up on a practice squad, I know the NFL is desperate for QB play, but as much as I like him, nothing about him screams sure fire NFL QB you'd let sit and heal with a roster spot for a year.

It's not so much the injury itself as my perception of his draft stock and how NFL teams manage rosters. If he was for sure gonna get called in the 1-3rd rounds, even with the injury he'd basically be safe to keep a spot and a full chance to earn it. Now? Possibly going much later with an injury? Just feels like his path to an NFL career got a lot less likely is all.

I would love to be very wrong as I like Hendon, but for a dude that was already kind of a mid round prospect he needed to be healthy and great all year to be drafted in a decent spot and thats out the window now. I just haven't seen anyone even really listing him in the top group of dudes this year, loving Will Levis has more hype than him in the NFL.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Nov 22, 2022

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sash! posted:

Also Penn State is a fantastic job for two reasons: 1) Pennsylvanians are the most pessimistic people on Earth, which tempers expectations and 2) genetic predisposition to sticking with a football coach indefinitely.

3) Won't ruin your weekends
4) Will forgive literally anything if you win

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

GD_American posted:

OK so it made me think and I guess it's not quite as insane as it first seemed, I looked at the list and thought of 13 better (these are in no order because gently caress that level of argument)

Alabama
USC
Florida
Georgia
LSU
Michigan
Ohio State
Oklahoma
Oregon
Penn State
Texas
Texas A&M
Clemson

If Auburn's booster base wasn't so insanely toxic and their administration so ineffectual, they'd probably jump half these schools. Top 15 right now seems about right for Auburn.

You should probably add Notre Dame to the list even though it's more funny if you don't.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Sash! posted:

Also they’ll literally riot in the streets if you’re fired

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns
The Week of The Game

https://twitter.com/wxyzdetroit/status/1594707473981579264?t=a2647TKjnWGjHjl3mXVRZg&s=19

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

It didn't occur to me until like 30s before the end what was going to happen, but I still loved it.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

GD_American posted:

Also they’ll literally riot in the streets if you’re fired
I'm almost hoping Franklin sticks around forever just to have literally any other long-tenured coach who is slightly less morally bankrupt for the idiot fans to idolize

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

If you're under 40, you barely even care about some dead coach.

If you didn't get into college football until you were in college and you're 40 now, you remember three losing seasons including the worst in school history while you were in college. Then six years later, huge scandal. Since then, you've watched more seasons without Paterno than seasons with him. The only times he ever comes up is as a rebuttal to people having some weird ideas about what a "successful team" is. Mainly proving that 2016 to 2019 was the second best window in school history.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

get hype

facialimpediment
Feb 11, 2005

as the world turns

LeeMajors posted:

It didn't occur to me until like 30s before the end what was going to happen, but I still loved it.

It helps that it's 37 years old, still entirely accurate, and explains exactly why we all love it just so goddamn much.

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

To spoil my initial notes on Hendon for the draft thread:

+ Really good size and stature
+ Consistently improves on his performances
+ Keeps eyes downfield
- Still misses wide open receivers due to both windup and sloppy footwork
- 25 year old rookie
- Complete Mickey Mouse offense that won’t translate at all

He’s probably a day 2/3 guy on tape even without the injury (which probably won’t affect him). Dude misses open guys and doesn’t really throw people open, even if he has a lot of the physical tools and personality a scout could like. if he was 21, maybe you think about it, but he’s 25 and going to need a shitload of mechanical work in the hopes that maybe just maybe you get his completion % up, starting with fixing his plant and ending with getting him to soften up his front shoulder so he stops overthrowing

Like, Bryce Petty got drafted, and he’s essentially a bigger, faster Bryce Petty. I hope the best for him, but the change in scheme alone is going to be a big big problem when he gets asked to hit a 3rd read from a 5 step drop where there just won’t be the space/speed differential you expect.

Now, the love affair with Levis is infuriating for different reasons (he played in the Rams scheme! His release is so pretty! Hey haven’t a bunch of other quarterbacks done the same thing and sucked when everything isn’t literally perfect? See: Goff, Jared; Wilson, Zach ). But if you flip the two situations, I bet you Levis can do 90% of what Hooker does where I don’t think the margin is there in the Kentucky offense to maximize Hooker as essentially a run and gun guy. That gets to be more of a problem when an NFL offense isn’t going to just run 4 verts until you’re dead.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

What was Brennan Armstrong's grade last year? I don't know if any quarterback's stock dropped as much as his over the year, injury or not.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

PostNouveau posted:

3) Won't ruin your weekends
4) Will forgive literally anything if you win

I have vague memories of a poster here writing elaborate murder fantasies about how James Franklin should be executed for his Crimes against Penn State Football... Then the 2016 Ohio State game happened and the same dude was posting about giving Franklin an extension, LOL

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

“will forgive literally anything if you win” as it relates to Penn State is dark as hell

TheGreyGhost
Feb 14, 2012

“Go win the Heimlich Trophy!”

Komet posted:

What was Brennan Armstrong's grade last year? I don't know if any quarterback's stock dropped as much as his over the year, injury or not.

Day 3 guy at best just on physical limits I’d say. He’s got some good short range ability at times, and he had a lot of insanely luck driven moon balls last year. He’s gone from like Trace McSorley to like Hutson Mason in my view.

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Sash! posted:

If you're under 40, you barely even care about some dead coach.

I went through a version of this with an Alabama fan, talking about how Alabama fans under the age of 20 literally can't remember the last bad season so they have no frame of reference for mediocre late 90s/early 00s Bama. And are completely unable to cope with a down Bama season.

People old enough to know better aren't dealing it with much better.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
Spurrier is still at it. :allears:

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/s...ow-youd-expect/

quote:

“I almost felt sorry for Tennessee,” Spurrier said, according to Gene Sapakoff of the Charleston Post and Courier.

He also added, “Someone told me Tennessee is probably headed for the Citrus Bowl now. I guess that’s kind of a mean thing to say.”

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

I love that man lol

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

Waifu Radia posted:

“will forgive literally anything if you win” as it relates to Penn State is dark as hell

:thejoke:

Like Sash said, it's also not really accurate since Paterno hadn't been a good coach for a very long time. He was just a symbol for boomers who thought he did everything 'the right way' and because he won a lot of games in the 80s and made players cut their hair. Unfortunately a lot of those boomers were (are) also rich boosters and the AD was basically hand picked by him which made a situation where he basically called his own shots on everything and we all saw how that turned out. Actual young fans who wanted to watch winning football wanted him out in 2000-2004 because aside from a flukey 2002 season the coaching and recruiting were terrible, he was clearly going senile, and he promoted his idiot son to act as the offensive coordinator (hello Iowa fans).

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

Speaking of which does anyone think Ferentz will actually fire his kid

Ches Neckbeard
Dec 3, 2005

You're all garbage, back up the truck BACK IT UP!
GDT title courtesy of MACtion

https://twitter.com/nocontextcfb/status/1595222535922102273

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

https://twitter.com/CGProgram/status/1595168347972329472

The British Royal Family ain’t played nobody PAAAAAAWWLLL

Roasted Donut
Aug 24, 2007

NWA WHITE POWERRR!!!!

GD_American posted:

No way

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

drat Dirty Ape posted:

:thejoke:

Like Sash said, it's also not really accurate since Paterno hadn't been a good coach for a very long time. He was just a symbol for boomers who thought he did everything 'the right way' and because he won a lot of games in the 80s and made players cut their hair. Unfortunately a lot of those boomers were (are) also rich boosters and the AD was basically hand picked by him which made a situation where he basically called his own shots on everything and we all saw how that turned out. Actual young fans who wanted to watch winning football wanted him out in 2000-2004 because aside from a flukey 2002 season the coaching and recruiting were terrible, he was clearly going senile, and he promoted his idiot son to act as the offensive coordinator (hello Iowa fans).

im tired and old leave me alone

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

GD_American posted:

He can’t fire him he reports to the AD. Kirk’s hands are really tied

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Warbird posted:

https://twitter.com/CGProgram/status/1595168347972329472

The British Royal Family ain’t played nobody PAAAAAAWWLLL

Couldn’t even beat the French press.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug

GD_American posted:

I don’t think so. I’m sure he feels vindicated by the way the season will end even though that offense is abysmal and has been for a minute.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I suspect WVU is trying to find someone to pay the buyout for neal brown. Thankfully the school is loaded with deep pocket alums such as

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

GD_American posted:

How could you fire anyone on the staff of the Big 10 West champions?

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

Asproigerosis posted:

I suspect WVU is trying to find someone to pay the buyout for neal brown. Thankfully the school is loaded with deep pocket alums such as

Depending on who you ask it’s already done.

I can’t see it, Puskar’s money’s long gone but maybe there’s a new rich crypto guy or something?

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
https://twitter.com/PeteThamel/status/1595230388766576641

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

gently caress yes

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Mark Stoops also signed a stealth extension through 2031 at 9 million per

football school

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

TheGreyGhost posted:

Day 3 guy at best just on physical limits I’d say. He’s got some good short range ability at times, and he had a lot of insanely luck driven moon balls last year. He’s gone from like Trace McSorley to like Hutson Mason in my view.

what, a chud hosting a mid-afternoon AM radio football hot take show no one listens to?

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

drat Dirty Ape posted:

Actual young fans who wanted to watch winning football wanted him out in 2000-2004 because aside from a flukey 2002 season the coaching and recruiting were terrible, he was clearly going senile, and he promoted his idiot son to act as the offensive coordinator (hello Iowa fans).

One of the rumors I've long heard was if Penn State had lost to Michigan State in 2004, that was the end of the line. It would have been back to back 3-9 seasons. It is one thing to have high expectations, but if you're an all time top ten team, that's unacceptable. It isn't firing a guy over a 7-5 year.

THIS_IS_FINE
May 21, 2001

Slippery Tilde
The Huskies have extended Kalen DeBoer until 2028. Massive win for the program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
So I guess the committee isn’t even thinking about giving Coastal the G5’s NY6 bid this year, even if the AAC champ has three losses.