Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

Panel 1: Loup and Lana kiss while blushing, obviously in puppy love.

Panel 2: Lana notices Loup is missing a tooth, because they just kissed, and comments on it.

Panel 3: Loup explains that Coyote gave the tooth to Annie, and once the tooth is returned he will know Coyote's plan and want to die. Lana looks concerned.

Panel 4: Loup, while holding her in his arms, tells Lana with a smile that he doesn't want the tooth back or die, he wants to spend forever with her. She looks relieved and happy.

There's the entire chapter in a single 4 panel strip. Minus the 2 pages of Zimmy and Gamma that looked like something interesting might happen, of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

CodfishCartographer posted:

E: you know it's funny, with how much it feels like Tom is rushing through plot beats, there's an awful lot of "why is this being stretched out so long? This could easily be condensed down"

There are updates when weeks of progress happen, and there are weeks where one update's worth of progress happens.

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

GunnerJ posted:

There are updates when weeks of progress happen, and there are weeks where one update's worth of progress happens.

reminder that the entire plot of the star ocean and the court's plans were revealed to us in like 3 pages of exposition.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Niavmai posted:

reminder that the entire plot of the star ocean and the court's plans were revealed to us in like 3 pages of exposition.
Yeah in hindsight this makes the "rushing through critical plot developments and revealing them via characters we barely care about talking in a circle" thing even more egregious. Like at least you could go 'well I guess he's trying to wrap this up quickly' then we slam directly into this poo poo

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly

GunnerJ posted:

There are updates when weeks of progress happen offscreen, and there are weeks where one update's worth of progress happens.

Fixed that for you.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020
The biggest problem with Current Gunnerkrigg is it feels so disconnected from and tonally distinct from Past gunnerkrigg. I would hardly mind a new project being told that's goofy supernatural romcom hijinks and aside from a few moments that were unquestionably terrible, it's not incompetent. But it feels entirely unrelated to all the characters and storylines I was actually invested in, and tonally like a completely different work. And that sucks.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mycatscrimes posted:

The biggest problem with Current Gunnerkrigg is it feels so disconnected from and tonally distinct from Past gunnerkrigg. I would hardly mind a new project being told that's goofy supernatural romcom hijinks and aside from a few moments that were unquestionably terrible, it's not incompetent. But it feels entirely unrelated to all the characters and storylines I was actually invested in, and tonally like a completely different work. And that sucks.

Kesper North posted:

i feel like a different person is writing this story

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Remember that scene where Boxbot is like hello! and Annie is like, no, these were proper robots! and the joke is that it's a very small, very silly aside from this otherwise interesting drama?

The whole comic just feels like that, now, all the time.

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
Tbh gunnerkrigg has always taken a profoundly sedate approach to the progression of its plot and has been utterly allergic to behaving with a sense of urgency, but the difference was back then the meandering was well done and interesting in its own right

It's just now the subject matter is something readers have zero investment in

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Look, it's the tooth and Reynardine is telling Annie she has to kill Loup.
Surely this will happen and won't be interrupted by Lana in any way shape or form.

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

Annie is going to accidentally stab Lana and Loup is going to want to die because someone sacrificed herself for him.

Cavatica
Nov 2, 2010

I get that the narrative is setting up this kind of tragic position where we're supposed to feel conflicted about Annie needing to kill Loup. I get that from the reader's perspective, it's supposed to be tragic that Annie only knows one side of Loup and doesn't know that the weird robo boy is who he really is now and he's found true love.

And any other time with different story setups and tweaks I would love a narrative like that. But the stakes aren't really focused on effectively for me to care about all the evil deeds Loup has done. We rushed through Renard's body getting destroyed, no one seems to care enough about the court getting FUBAR or the Star Ocean, and we honestly don't know why Annie needs to kill Loup in the first place other than Coyote said so. It doesn't seem like killing him would bring back the status quo for the court or the forest, and so far it doesn't seem like him dying would save anyone else.

Honestly even if it was said somewhere that killing Loup will destroy any chance of Ysengrin and Coyote ever coming back, I would feel the conflict a little more, especially if there was any chance that Zimmy could use her powers to separate them in the same way she combined the two Annies. Hopefully that was something I missed, but right now it feels like conflict for the sake of conflict.

XkyRauh
Feb 15, 2005

Commander Keen is my hero.
No, Vriska avatar, the reason we need to kill Loup is because he is *ruining the comic* and Annie is going to assert herself as protagonist again. It's going to be a Homestuck twist! (It will not.)

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

What are the things he's done. He collapsed a few buildings and he destroyed the fox body, but other than that he hasn't really been up to much of anything that we've seen lately. Yes those are bad, but narrative-wise, they were all kinda offscreen or happened very quickly and were then dismissed. All we've really seen him do is ditz around.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

There Bias Two posted:

Annie is going to accidentally stab Lana and Loup is going to want to die because someone sacrificed herself for him.
Annie and Loup: "Oh no Lana's been stabbed and will perish!"
Lana: "OooOoh I perish"
Kat: "Didn't I give you guys like three redundant circulatory systems"
Lana, staged dramatically in Tragic Yet Beautiful Anime Death Pose #2: "Dude shut up"

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
on paper Loup is dangerous to let live - he casually screwed with basic causality and banished all the forest residents from their homes on a whim, and he reacts with rabid violence towards anyone who even looks like they’re going to stand up to him. but he’s spent months as a bumbling fuckup with the world’s loudest inner monologue, so his threat is muted somewhat

Niavmai
Nov 27, 2011

There Bias Two posted:

oh my god she is absolutely going to get fridged. the first and only real death in the comic.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Nettle Soup posted:

What are the things he's done. He collapsed a few buildings and he destroyed the fox body, but other than that he hasn't really been up to much of anything that we've seen lately. Yes those are bad, but narrative-wise, they were all kinda offscreen or happened very quickly and were then dismissed. All we've really seen him do is ditz around.
He did also send Jones into space (lol) and clone Annie. He kinda reminds me of that Twilight Zone episode where a bratty kid can kill people with his brain so everyone is catering to his whims

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I mean the comic may as well show him being even more abusive to his new partner by way of making out with her and only then telling her that he's a target being hunted by students trained to 'deal with' him. He's already not redeemable, he threw Lana against a wall to earn her affections, I really don't care what you do you're not redeeming him to set him up for tragedy after that!

edit: he's just been more and more abusive to her every page to the point where he seems to not even realize he's doing it? Just gaslighting her and diminishing her strength so that he can cuddle her, but the comic holds the intent of still actually sympathizing him. Really, really odd framing device.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Nov 23, 2022

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
*stab with tooth*

Here lies Lana, she was an interesting character and then she met Loup and every page after that featuring the two of them was about him.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Lana was with Loup from page one, she just initially seemed like a playful mentor archetype and then turned into a simpering ingenue

and I wouldn’t call Loup’s sweet talk “gaslighting,” he doesn’t have enough understanding of psychology for that to be his intent. he’s just riding the hormone high and wildly cooing over Lana for giving him good feels

Oxxidation fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Nov 23, 2022

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

A big flaming stink posted:

Tbh gunnerkrigg has always taken a profoundly sedate approach to the progression of its plot and has been utterly allergic to behaving with a sense of urgency, but the difference was back then the meandering was well done and interesting in its own right

It's just now the subject matter is something readers have zero investment in

Yeah to me the pacing itself isn't a huge change or a big problem, it's the tonal shift and change of content- as well as the shift away from the characters and storylines who I was actually invested in.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

There Bias Two posted:

I didn't think of it until you said it, but yeah, seems like a decent bet. Or something even more disappointing.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

lol what if indeed

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i know this thread's confidence in the comic is subterranean right now but GC has never been cavalier about killing off its characters, and especially with the cloying shoujo angle it's taking now i seriously doubt lana's in any mortal danger

smart money is still on "loup must die so jerrek can live"

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I JUST WANNA SEE SOME BLOODSHED WE HAVE BEEN WASTING TIME FOR SO LONG. Bruh nothing seems that dangerous nobody died Loup at best was a minor nuisance. What loving urgency is there at least with the ghost sword lady it was guilt over court crimes.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Nov 23, 2022

FlocksOfMice
Feb 3, 2009
Loup killed Reynard's body and the immediate reaction from both Annie and Rey was "Huh... well, guess that happened. Oh well, didn't really care anyway. What do you want to do tomorrow?"

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Oxxidation posted:

i know this thread's confidence in the comic is subterranean right now but GC has never been cavalier about killing off its characters, and especially with the cloying shoujo angle it's taking now i seriously doubt lana's in any mortal danger

smart money is still on "loup must die so jerrek can live"

Well... Annie is holding a blade that can cut through anything. I wonder if it can permanently cut Jerrick off from his Loup powers?

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013
I just want to know if Annie actually got to the star ocean and found anything out or if she just immediately took the next train home after Jerrick left.
Was there any point to that whole sequence beyond giving Lana a chance to get close to Loup?

Like even a joke panel at the end of the chapter showing Annie awkwardly sitting in the train alone after everyone left would have been something.

Guess we could still get a flashback chapter at some point but who knows.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tom why the gently caress does nothing matter to the kids. Is it a message that any major changes and cruelties of the world don't effect middle class people or something? Like I'm not even joking what is the point of bringing up the star ocean or killing loup if it's just not gonna lead to anything. I forgot if the kids even do things like graduate.

Annointed fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Nov 24, 2022

Baller Ina
Oct 21, 2010

:whattheeucharist:
I don't buy the "Loup dies so Jerrick lives" theory anymore because Loup isn't hiding that he's Loup in these recent strips. In the comic's eyes they are one and the same at this point.

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

the fact that annie apparently went to the star ocean and came back and didn't remark on it at all is lunacy

like there are ways to do that writing trick of hiding something from the viewer but the character still has to be affected

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

Patware posted:

the fact that annie apparently went to the star ocean and came back and didn't remark on it at all is lunacy

like there are ways to do that writing trick of hiding something from the viewer but the character still has to be affected

lmao holy poo poo this didn't even sink in until now

the protagonist of the story literally went to witness the big thing made by the evil antagonists that could potentially jeopardize her life as a partially-etheric being, did so OFFSCREEN, then returned with zero comment on it, back to talking about loup

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Annointed posted:

Tom why the gently caress does nothing matter to the kids.

This.

This comic would suck less if the characters cared about literally anything that's happening.

Patware posted:

Chernobyl mostly focused on people's reactions rather than the sets themself. It worked--you can play coy with information while being extremely emotionally intense

This comic used to know how to do that

Potato Salad fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Nov 24, 2022

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Patware posted:

seems a little early to say that. it's a really common narrative device when shifting perspectives to use a topical present conversation as a sort of bridge before going back to past events. what we witness on this 1 page starts on a small part of a larger conversation they're having.

Catgirl Al Capone fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Nov 24, 2022

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

its not early to say it when its what the comic has been doing for years now

annie giving a poo poo about the star ocean would be going against type at this point

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
"Hmm? Oh, I just got off at the next platform and went home. It didn't seem right to go without the protagonist there."

JuniperCake
Jan 26, 2013

Splicer posted:

"Hmm? Oh, I just got off at the next platform and went home. It didn't seem right to go without the protagonist there."

I thought this was a little too cynical to say this earlier but I so wanted to say this because I was absolutely thinking it.

catapede
Jul 1, 2018

Eatin' fish leaves
Gettin' strong
This is gonna be my second read-through from after the two Annies where I'm doing so not because the comic is great, but because I need to confirm it's decline in quality isn't in my head/me being negative.

The first time I was *very* drunk, but I remember "Down that Road" being the first major crack for me, though small ones showed up before that. A lot of telling us Kat is going nuts without much showing beyond "booted up the old robots", which didn't feel like it had the weight it should have, and Paz having to tell us Kat is getting obsessive again.

It really feels like Jeanne was the real finale, and it's been a slow decline since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The man called M
Dec 25, 2009

THUNDERDOME ULTRALOSER

Annie:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r18Ab8cb5s&t=8s