Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Consummate Professional posted:

Just got the valve complete pack. It would have been a crime not to!

It’s getting ugly out here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I can't spend my points on some games because I haven't spent enough time in game

Lol

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wait you can spend points on games?

DuckHuntDog
May 13, 2004

You cannot buy stuff for games you have not played two hours of (and therefore cannot return I assume is the reasoning).

JLaw
Feb 10, 2008

- harmless -
Anybody ever used a USB-C splitter with the deck, to do both headphones (dongle for low-latency wireless) and charging (power brick)?

Something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Splitter-Adapter-Headphone-Charging/dp/B086R4KX23?th=1

(Seems like exactly the kind of gadget that would do the trick, but alllllso kind of seems like something that could possibly be dodgy enough to damage your deck and/or headphones.)

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

DuckHuntDog posted:

You cannot buy stuff for games you have not played two hours of (and therefore cannot return I assume is the reasoning).

I can buy stuff for games I don't even own though

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I can buy stuff for games I don't even own though

Weird, I couldn't. I used to not own No Man's Sky, my wife and I would play it, shared from her account. We only had one laptop, and took turns playing, and when I went to buy NMS related stuff, I couldn't.

However, if I went to the community marketplace, I could. I ended up buying cards for it, finishing a badge, and getting some things that way, plus I bought some backgrounds from other players, but the point store wouldn't let me. This was back around April/May.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
I usually get buyer's remorse after purchasing most of the stuff I buy, but I have to say that the steam deck is the single best (gaming related) purchase I've made in the last 25 years.

Tangentially, any reason to use a game store which isn't Steam is gone forever, as long as they will keep updating the deck and releasing new versions of it. I'm playing more on the deck than on my purpose-built high end gaming pc.

Cippalippus fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Nov 23, 2022

Heran Bago
Aug 18, 2006

My gaming PC can't run Persona 5 for poo poo. Don't have an i7 like in the minimum requirements so that's that.

Deck knocks it out of the park.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

what the gently caress how does persona 5 need an i7, it runs on PS3

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

i7 means nothing in CPU space outside it’s generation. Specifically Persona 5 wants a 4790 which is now 8 years old and inferior to even the cheapest modern CPU.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yakuza 0 has been a good ol' time on Dork (the dork being Kiryu), so I'm pleased to see the Yakuza Bundle (the first three games in the chronology) at 75% off.

I vaguely recall someone talking about the performance of the latter two not being 100% but I'll see how that goes once I finish 0. Which may be a ways off.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Hammer Bro. posted:

Yakuza 0 has been a good ol' time on Dork (the dork being Kiryu), so I'm pleased to see the Yakuza Bundle (the first three games in the chronology) at 75% off.

I vaguely recall someone talking about the performance of the latter two not being 100% but I'll see how that goes once I finish 0. Which may be a ways off.

I've not played the games on the Deck myself but I'd imagine Kiwami 1 being perfectly fine, it's literally the same engine as 0 and doesn't look any better than it. Kiwami 2 uses the Dragon Engine introduced in 6 though and yeah, I imagine performance is a lot rougher in those games. Though I think it should be okay on newest Proton builds, Lost Judgment is the most recent Dragon Engine game released and it runs fine on that from cursory searches online.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Cippalippus posted:

I usually get buyer's remorse after purchasing most of the stuff I buy, but I have to say that the steam deck is the single best (gaming related) purchase I've made in the last 25 years.

Tangentially, any reason to use a game store which isn't Steam is gone forever, as long as they will keep updating the deck and releasing new versions of it. I'm playing more on the deck than on my purpose-built high end gaming pc.
Yep this is me as well. I won't play rocket league on deck (WiFi lag and prefer a controller and bigger screen) but otherwise my switch and PC have gone unused for a few months now.

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
i've been playing the resident evil games on the deck and *chefs kiss* perfection.

I've been thinking alot how we can have a device that can perfectly play games from creation all the way up to PS4 level quality like RDR2 and it makes me smile.

woke kaczynski
Jan 23, 2015

How do you do, fellow antifa?

Fun Shoe

Mr. Fortitude posted:

I've not played the games on the Deck myself but I'd imagine Kiwami 1 being perfectly fine, it's literally the same engine as 0 and doesn't look any better than it. Kiwami 2 uses the Dragon Engine introduced in 6 though and yeah, I imagine performance is a lot rougher in those games. Though I think it should be okay on newest Proton builds, Lost Judgment is the most recent Dragon Engine game released and it runs fine on that from cursory searches online.

I played 0 and Kiwami 1/2 and am currently a little way into 3, and I've had no problems so far.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yakuza is one of those games I would have been averse to getting into, cause there's just so much game. But with the steam deck I can be anywhere and enjoying some Yakuza, so I'll have no problem finding the time.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Lord Lambeth posted:

Yakuza is one of those games I would have been averse to getting into, cause there's just so much game. But with the steam deck I can be anywhere and enjoying some Yakuza, so I'll have no problem finding the time.

they hosed up so much not putting them on switch

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

they hosed up so much not putting them on switch

not really...I don't think the Switch could run most of them

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

worms butthole guy posted:

not really...I don't think the Switch could run most of them

yeah but you are a massive dumbass so they probably could run

worms butthole guy
Jan 29, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Quantum of Phallus posted:

yeah but you are a massive dumbass so they probably could run

Uh except if you actually looked up the performance of the games on ps3 even those were pushing it so I highly doubt the switch could.

You also don't need to come into the deck thread and keep port begging for the switch. We get it.

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~
I've been playing Journey to the Savage Planet recently.

It presents itself like a survival crafter kinda game but its actually more of a metroidy explore and collect affair. The crafting element is just that you unlock and buy upgrades from a 3d printer in your crashed ship base. Theres no thirst or hunger bars, just a health bar and a stamina meter. Theres a bit of combat and some boss fights.

Its closer to metroid prime than no mans sky despite appearances basically. It wasn't on my radar at all despite being exactly the kind of game i like. I bought it on a whim because it was on sale a while ago, only just got around to playing.

Runs great on deck and its currently 70% off on the sale.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hey Nreal buyers with hosed vision: where on Ali Express do I order lenses for this thing? I have a prescription with a prismatic component, if that matters.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just wanna butt in to say that Prodeus is loving awesome on the Deck. It has the most satisfying chaingun I've fired in a video game.
And its on sale right now.

What an awesome shooter, if you love everything about classic and modern Doom games, get Prodeus.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Random question but has anyone managed to get the blizzard launcher version of MW2 running on their deck under windows? It kinda runs but nothing like the YouTube videos show and the controls don’t work right.

Risutora
Dec 28, 2006

In case anyone is thinking about it, I wanna give a heads up that Yakuza 5 is borked on the deck. The cutscenes play completely wrong audio and as far as I can tell theres no way to fix it. Sucks ’cause its the only one I haven’t played through.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Cippalippus posted:

Very similar here. Trying not to be hyperbolic, but the Steam Deck is pretty much the culmination of everything I’ve been looking for from gaming hardware for years. I’ve pretty much taken a year off from gaming and actually thought I might be done for good, but the Deck has pulled me back in and I’m more excited for gaming right now than I have been for as long as I can remember. It just ticks so many boxes.

Like you, I’m also OK with effectively being “exclusive” to Steam now. Applying Steam’s feature set to a console-like OS/hardware environment just makes sense of everything they’ve been doing with their features. It’s a really robust experience. And it’s not like there’s a shortage of games on Steam. My desire to work around to enable other store fronts, or ever engage with the console platform holders stores ever again, is pretty much zero.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Add me to the list of people who won’t be buying from any other storefronts after having a Steam Deck. Not that I was doing that anyways. I hate every other storefront.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Cippalippus posted:

I've been saying exactly this; I've gone between PC and consoles ever since I started being obsessed with video games, and no single VG-related purchase has been as good and as worthwhile as the Steam Deck. It's incredible.

Animal posted:

Add me to the list of people who won’t be buying from any other storefronts after having a Steam Deck. Not that I was doing that anyways. I hate every other storefront.

Being a dad of two kids who also love videogames, it does bug me that I can't (easily) play Minecraft or Fortnite with them using this. No, I'm not installing Windows on this thing. Also, we play on a Realm, so I can't have older versions of MC running, either. They primarily play those games on the Switch, so I'm always interested in cross platform games between that and Steam.

Nice that MC Dungeons is available on Steam, though! We all like that one.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 24, 2022

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

Yeah Dungeons is a real hit in our house too. Really nice game.

That new Minecraft game they announced recently is coming to Steam too.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
For me the deck has actually unlocked more storefronts since now I have a switch-like device which the kids can play all my gog, epic and so forth games on after a bit of tweaking in desktop mode. Making this machine and OS so open is a wonderful decision.

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Animal posted:

I was definitely open to getting games on non-Steam platforms if the price was lower or I didn't want to wait for an exclusivity deal to expire, but my willingness to pay a bit more or wait has gone up since getting the deck. The lack of any easy way to get gamepass running natively is the biggest annoyance, but most of my gaming time is at home anyway so I've just been streaming those over Moonlight.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner

Osmosisch posted:

For me the deck has actually unlocked more storefronts since now I have a switch-like device which the kids can play all my gog, epic and so forth games on after a bit of tweaking in desktop mode. Making this machine and OS so open is a wonderful decision.

Unfortunately not all the games from the epic store work, and often with more problems than those on Steam.
With that said, I didn't really care about "storefront wars" but it's simply more convenient to have all the games in the same place.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

I barely used any other storefront Anyways but if there was some deep discount on some game somewhere that was less of a steam deck and more of a video game for desktop. Most of the epic poo poo I own is just the free poo poo. I may own breakpoint on ubi or epic but that's it I think.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Animal posted:

GOG has the advantage of giving completely DRM-free copies of games, there's an argument to be made for buying things there if you hate DRM. But EGS is yeah only good for the free games they give you.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I've been saying exactly this; I've gone between PC and consoles ever since I started being obsessed with video games, and no single VG-related purchase has been as good and as worthwhile as the Steam Deck. It's incredible.

Being a dad of two kids who also love videogames, it does bug me that I can't (easily) play Minecraft or Fortnite with them using this. No, I'm not installing Windows on this thing. Also, we play on a Realm, so I can't have older versions of MC running, either. They primarily play those games on the Switch, so I'm always interested in cross platform games between that and Steam.

Nice that MC Dungeons is available on Steam, though! We all like that one.

Isn’t there a Linux version of Minecraft? Would that work?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Is there any good way to have two users on the Deck without them stomping on each other's settings and so forth? I know I can change Steam account in a clumsy way (maybe there's a Decky twiddle for that), but I worry about all the other stuff that gets slammed into /home/deck. Maybe that's a SteamOS 4.0 sort of thing. That's one nice thing about the Switch, the good multi-profile support. Other than games like ACNH that still limit you to one whatever per device for some reason, of course...

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Doctor Zero posted:

Isn’t there a Linux version of Minecraft? Would that work?

There's a version you can get of the Android build, but apparently it's a few versions behind and therefore wouldn't work in multiplayer or on our realm. If it ever ends up being consistently updated, then I'd give that a shot, since I already own it from the Play store.

avantgardener
Sep 16, 2003

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

There's a version you can get of the Android build, but apparently it's a few versions behind and therefore wouldn't work in multiplayer or on our realm. If it ever ends up being consistently updated, then I'd give that a shot, since I already own it from the Play store.

I'm in the same position of wanting to get Minecraft bedrock edition working.

Polymv and so on all use the java version of Minecraft which is not online compatible with the android / Windows version that the kids are playing (bedrock / mobile edition)

The windows version is very hard as it's a store app so very difficult to get going unless on windows. I got as far as a guide that involved breaking some file system sandbox stuff just to stream it through steam which seemed like a bad idea.

The android version seems like a good bet but the guy supporting that has abandoned the project. So it's versions behind and thus not online.

Overall the easiest is probably to install Windows and play windows Minecraft but I've not got that far and I suspect there may be some controller issues to resolve.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
Is it normal for the Decks battery to drain pretty fast even when it's turned off? Every time I decide to pick it up I have to charge it first.