Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

Trying to get the various 150 gold fish for the tower quest is kinda bullshit.

You can trade Blue Gel in for Grab Bag 7s at the Exchange Center every so often - those drop gold fish. I cleared that quest pretty easily that way (although it may take some time if you haven't been stockpiling those.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jayme posted:

You can trade Blue Gel in for Grab Bag 7s at the Exchange Center every so often - those drop gold fish. I cleared that quest pretty easily that way (although it may take some time if you haven't been stockpiling those.)

Yeah I have been but my luck has been heavily weighted in the wrong direction.

I also just bought the pet that brings the bags and that was an expensive investment too.

Jayme
Jul 16, 2008

MarcusSA posted:

I also just bought the pet that brings the bags and that was an expensive investment too.

Oof - sorry, can't help you there! Maybe bitching about it has helped your fishing chances - it's worked in the past!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Grab bag 7 for life. That pet is an amazing investment. I should probably get back to farming herb's for ati2.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

MarcusSA posted:

Grab a few “Cat’s Meow” meals and go to town on manual fishing. With that meal active alongside Double Hooks you’ll get 5-8 gold fish each time you hit it. It speeds that part up significantly.

You’re close enough that I would just spend the time grinding it out. Probably only 15 minutes or so… although not sure TBH.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Ruggan posted:

Grab a few “Cat’s Meow” meals and go to town on manual fishing. With that meal active alongside Double Hooks you’ll get 5-8 gold fish each time you hit it. It speeds that part up significantly.

You’re close enough that I would just spend the time grinding it out. Probably only 15 minutes or so… although not sure TBH.

Oh thats a good idea. I didn't realize it would be that quick. I tried it before and it felt like it took ages.

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
Yes don‘t forget Cat‘s Meow. You should be able to get plenty of that for free too, I have 100s of them but have no use at all for them. Finished Fishing addict ages ago and I am sitting on 4k grab bag 07.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Yes don‘t forget Cat‘s Meow. You should be able to get plenty of that for free too, I have 100s of them but have no use at all for them. Finished Fishing addict ages ago and I am sitting on 4k grab bag 07.

Want to send your old pal duckbar some free food? :v:

Or hundreds of Gold Leafs?

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Just here to bitch about that Langstaff Crest not dropping in hopes it coughs it up as is tradition. My finger is going to fall off

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

MarcusSA posted:

Trying to get the various 150 gold fish for the tower quest is kinda bullshit.

I just got a quest for 50 Goldfish, luckily I got enough Jack-o-lanterns during Halloween I can get them from the Wishing Well rather than upgrading my Owl

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

SMALL UPDATES:
- At the Wishing Well, you can now toss in multiple of an item at once
- The cost to toss an item into the well after your free tosses is now only 1 gold per item (it used to be a much higher increasing cost of gold per toss)
- There is a new Farm Supply perk to get an additional 10 free tosses daily now
- Today's well toss counts have been reset for everybody if you'd like to make your free tosses again!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Tahirovic posted:

Thank you!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

rafikki posted:

SMALL UPDATES:
- The cost to toss an item into the well after your free tosses is now only 1 gold per item (it used to be a much higher increasing cost of gold per toss)
- Today's well toss counts have been reset for everybody if you'd like to make your free tosses again!

Nice. How worth it would those extra 10 wishes be in the long run though?

Also thanks Kaboobi for the cats meow! Big help and I’m nearly done with the gold fishes.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

it's 250 gold for the perk, so 10 throws * now 1 gold per throw it pays for itself in 25 days. considering how much crap you end up having to well (looking at you, spiked shells) it's a must-have.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

1. Need 500 Orange Geckos
2. Grind out 500 Orange Geckos
3. Get a quest that will give 350 Orange Geckos for 100 Boards
4. Cry

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

oldskool posted:

it's 250 gold for the perk, so 10 throws * now 1 gold per throw it pays for itself in 25 days. considering how much crap you end up having to well (looking at you, spiked shells) it's a must-have.

Ok fair enough! I’ll get it then!

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

rafikki posted:

SMALL UPDATES:

also

COAL PRODUCTION
- Coal production is now out of Beta and can be added to your Quarry once you reach Farming 40

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Yeah I'm past most of the quests where the well will help, but still using it to even out my runestone counts for spheres. Not a bad use of my gold now that I've got the t100 inventory perk and a decent mailbox size.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

oldskool posted:

Not sure what you mean.
There is no gold profit from the well so it doesnt pay for itself. Unless you were paying gold to throw in items?

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

It pays for itself in that if you were to spend gold on 10 throws a day, you come out ahead on the 26th day. Or on the 251st throw, regardless of how many you throw in.

koshmar
Oct 22, 2009

i'm not here

this isn't happening

obi_ant posted:

1. Need 500 Orange Geckos
2. Grind out 500 Orange Geckos
3. Get a quest that will give 350 Orange Geckos for 100 Boards
4. Cry

Is that the quest from the horse? Because he turns around and asks for those geckos back.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xerol posted:

It pays for itself in that if you were to spend gold on 10 throws a day, you come out ahead on the 26th day. Or on the 251st throw, regardless of how many you throw in.

Sure, but you should not be using gold on wishing well throws.

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

The only thing I have left that is WW worthy is 600 more spiked shells. And I’m in no rush there. I already have 10 throws a day. I might just save my gold… we’ll see.

Xerol
Jan 13, 2007

Kalman posted:

Sure, but you should not be using gold on wishing well throws.

I don't think it actually makes much sense if you're at the point in the game where you need a lot of things you could get from the well (shells, etc.) but when you're past t100 and inventory space doesn't seem as valuable, or your mailbox is already large enough, and you've already picked up most of the useful gold perks, it doesn't seem too bad.

Saxophone
Sep 19, 2006

Last skill to get to 99 is crafting… I just hit 98. This is gonna take a hot minute isn’t it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Saxophone posted:

Last skill to get to 99 is crafting… I just hit 98. This is gonna take a hot minute isn’t it.

Na it’s not quite as bad as you’d think.

I thought it was gonna take forever but it really didn’t.

Lots of lanterns and bows

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

koshmar posted:

Is that the quest from the horse? Because he turns around and asks for those geckos back.

Why yes... it is from a horse... I spent all my juice so I wasn't able to finish the quest.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Xerol posted:

I don't think it actually makes much sense if you're at the point in the game where you need a lot of things you could get from the well (shells, etc.) but when you're past t100 and inventory space doesn't seem as valuable, or your mailbox is already large enough, and you've already picked up most of the useful gold perks, it doesn't seem too bad.

I just save it til the next set of useful perks come out.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

zamiel posted:

Just here to bitch about that Langstaff Crest not dropping in hopes it coughs it up as is tradition. My finger is going to fall off

Skeptics: I got it to drop the next time I threw stamina at it. Now onto the next grinds, exploring to 99 and a bunch of gold peas and peppers.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

thank you new wishing well perk for letting me add 15 more to my compass mastery every day

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

So I’m going to guess you only buy the event stuff in the borgen shop for completion sake?

Hobojim
Oct 31, 2011

MarcusSA posted:

So I’m going to guess you only buy the event stuff in the borgen shop for completion sake?

I bought one of everything for completion's sake, than decided to open enough chests to get 100 turkeys for the time limited profile background.

This was probably a stupid idea. Are turkeys used for anything else?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

there's gonna be a bunch of thanksgiving quests dropping today or tomorrow so maybe

Unponderable
Feb 16, 2007

Good enough.

Kaboobi posted:

thank you new wishing well perk for letting me add 15 more to my compass mastery every day

Wait, what? How?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Unponderable posted:

Wait, what? How?

throw a compass in the well, get a magna core
make a new compass, maybe the +45% chance of duplicating will get you two
repeat, until you have tens/hundreds/thousands of compasses

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Kaboobi posted:

Holy poo poo lol that’s amazing

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
You forgot: but why?

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I'm at the point where I don't need the WW tosses for anything, so why not

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Kaboobi posted:

That’s fantastic, just started this today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonkeyforaHead
Apr 7, 2006

God, you vindictive bitch, why can't I ever have any "me" time

Also just picked this up recently and am finally starting to pump everything into my sawmill, only to find that if you have enough components to make, say, 25 sturdy shields but only enough silver to make 20 of them, you have "no silver" and are locked out of lowering the number you want to craft, so you can't craft any, to make the silver you need to craft the rest. Cool design :shepface: