Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Q is one of the worst games I've ever beaten. 2 is supposed to be better

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

Rinkles posted:

How were the 3DS Q games?
Have you played Etrian Odyssey? Because Persona Q is literally Etrian Odyssey with Persona coat of paint. It's a first-person dungeon crawler, each character's main Persona (their starting Persona in their respective games) is their main class, then each character can be assigned a secondary Persona as a subclass.

I enjoyed it well enough in my one playthrough so far, it was an interesting change from the norm. Teddie is even more insufferable in Q than in vanilla P4, though.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015

Commander Keene posted:

Have you played Etrian Odyssey? Because Persona Q is literally Etrian Odyssey with Persona coat of paint.

It's like Etrian Odyssey but you have to stop every 5 steps for your characters to have some long dumb conversation where they just repeat their most obvious character traits. Like in the haunted house dungeon you get reminded every 2 minutes about how Chie is afraid of ghosts.

The game mechanics are also kind of half baked, they copied all the skills directly from Etrian Odyssey 4 and just changed the names pretty much. Problem is that much more than SMT/Persona, EO is based around characters who have classes and skill trees where you have like a couple main abilities on a character class and can invest in a lot of different passive support skills that make them better, this doesn't work as well when all these skills are split randomly across like 200 personas who can only hold 6 skills each. And just a lot of other questionable design decisions like "to unlock this chest you need to step on every tile on this dungeon level, even all the damage floors".

Of course it sold better than any of the Etrian Odyssey games since it has Persona characters in it.
People say the 2nd one is better but never played it.

Off-topic thing, we should take bets on which one Atlus will come out with first, a new Etrian Odyssey game, Persona 6, or Project Re: Fantasy.

Commander Keene
Dec 21, 2016

Faster than the others

I'd bet on the game that's been actually announced, but that one seems to be in dev hell, so who the gently caress knows, it's anyone's race.

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Yeah, I think it would be hilarious if Persona 6 came out before Project Re: Fantasy

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
I remember when someone said "Fire Emblem x SMT" and I got super excited and then the end result was... definitely not that. I feel Atlus just needs to get a few things out of its system in between the good ones. Persona 6 in 2028.

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

neonchameleon posted:

The DLC personas that I think are spectacularly broken are Orpheus F for a party wide triple-buff plus healing at L11, Kaguya for silvery arrows, the best non-almighty magic damage skill in the game and possibly the second highest damage skill in the game period at L16, and Inzanagi-no-Okami for the highest damage in the game, period (and it's almighty) as well as Victory Cry to recover everything after your inevitable win. For the rest I take the rule that if you can fuse 'em you can use 'em. They're all top tier offensively but their defences aren't great and that's what I tend to find important on Merciless. Grabbing them out of the compendium dozens of levels above you for a cost of 0 on the other hand is way too easy.

You know, I'm kinda wondering, why is Shining Arrows so good? Unless the site I looked up skill potencies (https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/p5r/skills) is completely wrong, it only has a max potency of 120 with all 8 hits. To compare that's the same potency as Makouga.

Also according to that Beast Weaver does have an use in being the highest potency Phys skill even above God Hand, so I guess it has an use on challenges to do the final hit if trying to max score?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

GiantRockFromSpace posted:

You know, I'm kinda wondering, why is Shining Arrows so good? Unless the site I looked up skill potencies (https://aqiu384.github.io/megaten-fusion-tool/p5r/skills) is completely wrong, it only has a max potency of 120 with all 8 hits. To compare that's the same potency as Makouga.

Also according to that Beast Weaver does have an use in being the highest potency Phys skill even above God Hand, so I guess it has an use on challenges to do the final hit if trying to max score?

What matters isn't the actual power score but the square root of the power score. So although Makuagon (the highest damage normal bless skill) has 190 power that means it does roughly 14 base damage (before stats and defences). By contrast Shining Arrows has only a power of 15 but that's about four damage per hit (before stats and defences) and with 4-8 attacks that's an average of six hits per attack when it takes 3.5 hits to equal Makouga.

Beast Weaver loses to Hassou Tobi for much the same reason. It does about 35 damage after the square root; Hassou Tobi hits harder because it does about six damage per hit after the square root but with 8 hits.

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Also even if it were equal to Makouga, the earliest you can get that is from a Lv29 Principality, while Kaguya is Lv16.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Petiso posted:

Also even if it were equal to Makouga, the earliest you can get that is from a Lv29 Principality, while Kaguya is Lv16.

Makuagon not Makuoga; you're looking at a level 70 Dominion.

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022
P5 on PC: Is there a "mute specifically the combat barks" mod yet?

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

neonchameleon posted:

What matters isn't the actual power score but the square root of the power score. So although Makuagon (the highest damage normal bless skill) has 190 power that means it does roughly 14 base damage (before stats and defences). By contrast Shining Arrows has only a power of 15 but that's about four damage per hit (before stats and defences) and with 4-8 attacks that's an average of six hits per attack when it takes 3.5 hits to equal Makouga.

Beast Weaver loses to Hassou Tobi for much the same reason. It does about 35 damage after the square root; Hassou Tobi hits harder because it does about six damage per hit after the square root but with 8 hits.

Oh. Didn't realize the square root would take out so much damage. Although Myriad Slashes is only stringer than Akechi's Rebellion Blade because Izanagi Ookami can have Almighty Amps, otherwise the downed bonus outdamages it.

Also kinda weird Physical skills are overall much stronger than magical ones, like magic has a 3.4 multi at max but Phys has almost x10 to damage. And phys has higher mods. And it's not like Phys resistance is that common from what I remember among the big guys.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

And it's not like Phys resistance is that common from what I remember among the big guys.

It gets more prevalent among regular Shadows as you get closer to the endgame.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Oh. Didn't realize the square root would take out so much damage. Although Myriad Slashes is only stringer than Akechi's Rebellion Blade because Izanagi Ookami can have Almighty Amps, otherwise the downed bonus outdamages it.

Also kinda weird Physical skills are overall much stronger than magical ones, like magic has a 3.4 multi at max but Phys has almost x10 to damage. And phys has higher mods. And it's not like Phys resistance is that common from what I remember among the big guys.

The Downed bonus needs setup and basically doesn't apply to bosses which are when you'd really want it. And physical skills are riskier than magical because they bring you closer to defeat - and phys resist gets fairly common at high levels.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Hey P5 kids. I just started a run thru of vanilla P5. I’m getting pretty deep into Kamoshidas.

One main question I have is about hold ups. Can’t quite tell what I should be doing when. Right now, I can trigger a hold up in almost every fight. From there, I’m trying to capture personas when I don’t have them. My question is, if I have the persons of the enemies I’m fighting, is it better to do an “all-in” or to ask for items or money? I feel like I’m getting more exp when I do an “all-in”, so maybe asking for money/items is more for when I’m specifically trying to grind for either of those things?

Maybe I’m over thinking it. Just wanted to see if one was considered optimal over the others to do in general

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

hobbez posted:

Hey P5 kids. I just started a run thru of vanilla P5. I’m getting pretty deep into Kamoshidas.

One main question I have is about hold ups. Can’t quite tell what I should be doing when. Right now, I can trigger a hold up in almost every fight. From there, I’m trying to capture personas when I don’t have them. My question is, if I have the persons of the enemies I’m fighting, is it better to do an “all-in” or to ask for items or money? I feel like I’m getting more exp when I do an “all-in”, so maybe asking for money/items is more for when I’m specifically trying to grind for either of those things?

Maybe I’m over thinking it. Just wanted to see if one was considered optimal over the others to do in general

Early on it is probably better to just All Out. Once you get confidants who boost your negotiation stuff however you can get shitload of free items.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Speaking of capturing 'sonas -- is there a way to capture/register one in the compendium without releasing one of the ones currently in my party? In Pokemon terms I'm thinking of "send to box" vs "add to party". Otherwise I guess I'll just have to reserve one spot of my Persona party for rotating through caught ones.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Count Thrashula posted:

Speaking of capturing 'sonas -- is there a way to capture/register one in the compendium without releasing one of the ones currently in my party? In Pokemon terms I'm thinking of "send to box" vs "add to party". Otherwise I guess I'll just have to reserve one spot of my Persona party for rotating through caught ones.

You have to let a Persona enter your "deck" for it to auto-register, sadly.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Count Thrashula posted:

1) When you acquire a new persona it is automatically registered to the compendium
2) if your party is full when you capture a new one it still gets registered
3) You can re-register your existing party personas at any time without having to release any, but if your personas are different than what’s saved to the register your personas overwrite the old register. Eg if you register a persona, then level it and learn a new skills, and then re-register the compendium persona will reflect that change.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

hobbez posted:

This is one of the places that P5 is a different (and less fun) game than P5R. In P5R the grinding zone of Mementos is massively improved in terms of interest, but is also made if anything too rewarding once you've set the item return right up.

In both games your need for money is almost over sometime round the third dungeon once you've (a) picked up at least one and possibly four SP Adhesive 3s from Death (in the PC version you don't need this; you get the camera strap for free - and only Joker's SP management really matters) and (b) unlocked the Fortune confidant for 100,000 Yen (although she will get a lot more money from you in Royal). In Royal you'll also want the various Darts/Billiards items but they're for later. You can spend as much as you have on Personas but that's a luxury. Also if you don't have a full stock of personas grabbing extra is worth more than you'd get from the negotiations.

Or in short money is almost never worth asking for although masks you already have can be. Items can be worth it if you're in vanilla with no DLC but I think I'd only bother when abilities make it better.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Cantorsdust posted:

2) if your party is full when you capture a new one it still gets registered

This is not true, for the record. If you delete the new Persona it will not enter the registry.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

What are you doing that takes filling all your Persona slots anyway? (And no; you need at least one rotating slot).

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Also Royal is much more fun without SP Adhesive 3s because the other accessories are legitimately more useful. They were pretty much mandatory in vanilla though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

neonchameleon posted:

What are you doing that takes filling all your Persona slots anyway? (And no; you need at least one rotating slot).

I mean, I only really use one persona anyway, my team just filled up as a matter of course while playing.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Arist posted:

This is not true, for the record. If you delete the new Persona it will not enter the registry.

Yeah, you want 1-2 slots open in Palaces to accept new captured personas then toss them out for more new ones, and keeping that slot open and rotating will result in the new personas getting added to the compendium.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

neonchameleon posted:

This is one of the places that P5 is a different (and less fun) game than P5R. In P5R the grinding zone of Mementos is massively improved in terms of interest, but is also made if anything too rewarding once you've set the item return right up.

In both games your need for money is almost over sometime round the third dungeon once you've (a) picked up at least one and possibly four SP Adhesive 3s from Death (in the PC version you don't need this; you get the camera strap for free - and only Joker's SP management really matters) and (b) unlocked the Fortune confidant for 100,000 Yen (although she will get a lot more money from you in Royal). In Royal you'll also want the various Darts/Billiards items but they're for later. You can spend as much as you have on Personas but that's a luxury. Also if you don't have a full stock of personas grabbing extra is worth more than you'd get from the negotiations.

Or in short money is almost never worth asking for although masks you already have can be. Items can be worth it if you're in vanilla with no DLC but I think I'd only bother when abilities make it better.

Gotchya. I’ll try to keep all that in mind!

hobbez fucked around with this message at 20:08 on Nov 23, 2022

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Count Thrashula posted:

I mean, I only really use one persona anyway, my team just filled up as a matter of course while playing.

When you hit a safe room fast travel back to the Velvet Room and fuse all the persona you aren't using. You'll get a few you can't catch and can can fuse better ones than you catch. And it'll free up your slots.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Arist posted:

My bad, I thought I had read it somewhere, perhaps even this thread, but it’s never something I’ve tried myself. I always left one slot open to catch personas and would delete the old registered ones as I went. I think the persona has to enter your party when captured, and then is registered when it enters the party, but if you decline to accept it on its initial capture then it doesn’t get registered.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Fusing a persona automatically registers it, capturing one doesn't.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Fusing a persona automatically registers it, capturing one doesn't.

Oh wait so just because it's in your team doesn't mean it's in the compendium? I have to go back to the velvet room and register it?

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

Count Thrashula posted:

Oh wait so just because it's in your team doesn't mean it's in the compendium? I have to go back to the velvet room and register it?

No you don't need to do that, but if you have a full team and get the "Delete which Persona to make room?" pop-up then deleting the one you just caught won't register it. It has to go into your normal team roster first.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
Inspiring artwork I just noticed on the wall of a safe room.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

Mailer posted:

Inspiring artwork I just noticed on the wall of a safe room.

No ring

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Commander Keene posted:

Teddie is even more insufferable in Q than in vanilla P4, though.

Speaking of Teddie, I've seen some people mention Morgana being worse than him, and that seems like a completely baffling opinion to me. Teddie is terrible and pretty much constantly verbally sexually harasses the girls. I'm wondering if it's something about Morgana's localized voice acting, because to me it just comes off like he has a crush on Ann. I don't remember him ever being particularly creepy about it - the "Ann-dono" stuff is just consistent with his classical/archaic-ish speech style that also leads to him using "wagahai" for himself, etc. It's weirder sounding in English because I don't think he does anything unusual in his speech other than the "Lady Ann" stuff, so it stands out more.

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

The only thing that comes to my mind about Morgana in these subjects is a single line in mementos when driving around (something like 'I can't believe Ann's butt is so soft', which is ughh but still better than like half of Teddie lines in P4). I didn't finish P5 yet, so maybe it gets worse?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ytlaya posted:

Speaking of Teddie, I've seen some people mention Morgana being worse than him, and that seems like a completely baffling opinion to me. Teddie is terrible and pretty much constantly verbally sexually harasses the girls. I'm wondering if it's something about Morgana's localized voice acting, because to me it just comes off like he has a crush on Ann. I don't remember him ever being particularly creepy about it - the "Ann-dono" stuff is just consistent with his classical/archaic-ish speech style that also leads to him using "wagahai" for himself, etc. It's weirder sounding in English because I don't think he does anything unusual in his speech other than the "Lady Ann" stuff, so it stands out more.

I think for some people the weird Mlady quiet oogling might be even worse than Teddy being overt because you encounter a lot more of the former and they are always more creepy than they think

Petiso
Apr 30, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Same.

I think a lot of people overreacted over Morgana's crush because they pre-emptively projected their issues with Teddie on him and because of the whole context of the first palace which makes it a bit untimely, but I find it mostly innocent and inoffensive, like Bart Simpson's crush on Laura Powers for example.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Morgana didn't hit on a literal 6-year old so that automatically makes him magnitudes better than Teddie.

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

anakha posted:

Morgana didn't hit on a literal 6-year old so that automatically makes him magnitudes better than Teddie.

welp I'd blocked that out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog

Ytlaya posted:

Teddie is way worse as far as sexual obession and harassment go, but you get the impression that Morgana should know better since his general personality is much more mature and worldly. His feud with Ryuji also takes up a decent chunk of the game and he comes across as a hypocritical "can dish it out but not take it" type for most of it, that doesn't help his image.