Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I hope autocombos comes back up next, that's the thread recurring argument I have strong opinions about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Ibblebibble posted:

I hope autocombos comes back up next, that's the thread recurring argument I have strong opinions about.

i can barely play warframe or fightgames anymore b/c my hands and wrists don't like it and i support simplifying rotations where possible, and i think artificially limiting macros is one of the few base level anti-usability things that i dislike about ffxiv

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

i can barely play warframe or fightgames anymore b/c my hands and wrists don't like it and i support simplifying rotations where possible, and i think artificially limiting macros is one of the few base level anti-usability things that i dislike about ffxiv

I don't know if it helps at all but there's a PC add-on called Xcombo or something like that which lets you simplify things if that makes it an easier on you.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
the autocombos are in pvp already!

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know if it helps at all but there's a PC add-on called Xcombo or something like that which lets you simplify things if that makes it an easier on you.

yeah, i have one of the addons that does it (not one of the advanced ones since it felt like it was doing too much for me, but at the very least the ones that help turn 3 buttons into 1)

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

flatluigi posted:

I am sorry but you will simply need to chop your hands off and get cyborg arms to continue playing this game.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FINAL FANTASY XIV: Is Godbert a libertarian? The greatest thread etc. etc.

Badger of Basra
Jul 26, 2007

i for one and shocked and deeply upset that yoship is not a communist (and specifically, the kind of communist i am)

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.
FFXIV won Best Community from the Golden Joystick Awards.
https://twitter.com/FF_XIV_EN/status/1595160471090651137?t=RaGbNhhKPmtLutf1g-IqFg&s=19

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Badger of Basra posted:

i for one and shocked and deeply upset that yoship is not a communist (and specifically, the kind of communist i am)

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zeruel posted:

it seems we've found a nice rich vein in the likes of hydaelyn posting

Because it’s the same vein ultimately. Hydaelyn agrees with the sentiment that if people are simply given everything, they won’t push against their circumstances until something catastrophic happens and they’re helpless and wind up in an even worse situation. It’s the same idea because Stormblood is about laying the thematic and philosophical groundwork for Endwalker in the same way that Shadowbringers lays the metaphysics out. You can see this in the Azim Steppe too with grandma prophecies and the dotharl idea of reincarnation.

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 23, 2022

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Ibblebibble posted:

autocombos should be guillotined

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

Everyone shut up about Godbert being a republican and look at my lizard.

Thank you.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

What top and dye is that?

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

hopeandjoy posted:

Thank you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgztfRBc2jM&t=35s

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

NachtSieger posted:

What top and dye is that?

Ala Mhigan Gown and Woad Blue Dye.

e:

lol just found out while googling because I have honestly forgotten what the undyed version looks like that the male version doesn't have pink accents.

hopeandjoy fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Nov 23, 2022

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Ala Mhigan Gown?! Did Godbert not pay for that?!

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Ala Mhigan Gown?! Did Godbert not pay for that?!

You can only get it by showing your indolence by doing easy maps instead of difficult things like savage raids.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

hopeandjoy posted:

Ala Mhigan Gown and Woad Blue Dye.

e:

lol just found out while googling because I have honestly forgotten what the undyed version looks like that the male version doesn't have pink accents.

I should get me one of those gowns, they look nice and you have a nice looking lizard.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

My Comfortable AST Glam for a while was That Dress, the welkin hat, and Zidane's jeans. I dyed the dress black. I'm pretty sure if I appeared on the streets of Santa Fe I would not have stood out.

Dareon
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Cleretic posted:

Indeed. As an alternative, may I suggest: worst forms of government we've seen, that isn't Ul'dah? The Syndicate is a cyberpunk dystopian government slapped into a high fantasy setting, they're obviously terrible and don't count.

I think we don't give Ishgard enough crap for instating a House of Commons and House of Lords, a.k.a. the absolute worst form of democracy it's possible to make. They're not the worst government we've seen, but with a House of Lords they've also got the least capacity for un-loving themselves.

The underwater dragon people are Miniature Imperial China and we're going to have a hard time burning down an underwater palace.

This is intentionally a hot take, I wanted to try and out-crazy "Noted major philanthropist Godbert Manderville actually hates poors for reasons no one has been able to explain."

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

We'll decide if Godbert is good or not when they finally add a trial for him.

QuantaStarFire
May 18, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Electric Phantasm posted:

We'll decide if Godbert is good or not when they finally add a trial for him.

Defeating him is going to be the final step of the relic

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

QuantaStarFire posted:

Defeating him is going to be the final step of the relic

it could totally happen

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Reading about The Striking Tree as I'm reaching that point in the MSQ and it seems intimidating, and that got me wondering; what sort of targeting hotkeys should I set up? Right now it's kind of a mess where I've got nearest target set to one of my aux mouse buttons and then everything else is sort of clicking wildly into a maelstrom of huge, glowing hell and hoping I draw aggro.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Reading about The Striking Tree as I'm reaching that point in the MSQ and it seems intimidating, and that got me wondering; what sort of targeting hotkeys should I set up? Right now it's kind of a mess where I've got nearest target set to one of my aux mouse buttons and then everything else is sort of clicking wildly into a maelstrom of huge, glowing hell and hoping I draw aggro.

target of target (assist target?) can be pretty handy. otherwise, if you're not a healer dealing with having to patch up party members on the reg, that's prob about it.

msq The Striking Tree isn't bad at all, especially as a tank. don't sweat it.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
I think focus target has a default bind (shift-f?) if you want to keep track of a mob or player you can't target all the time. Otherwise tab target is fine, you can adjust its behaviour in the options somewhere but I never really needed anything else.

Target of target might also be bound by default, it's mostly useful for healers (switch to heal the tank, from the mob you're DPSing) but I usually select healing targets from the party list (clicking or F row).

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Oneiros posted:

msq The Striking Tree isn't bad at all, especially as a tank. don't sweat it.

Yeah. The thing to remember when you search for information on trials/dungeons is that the guides are typically made when the content has just come out. For ARR trials, that was for people in crap gear (the ilvl for Striking Tree is i65, whereas most people will be synced to i130, literally twice the item level), plus there have been three expansions worth of power creep (even if you did it at minimum ilvl you'd be doing, like 25%ish more damage and have way more mitigation tools than people at the same ilvl when the content is current). Expect ARR trials to take, like, 2-3 minutes, when they were originally 8-10 minute fights.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

whenever i actually get it in trial roulette no one remembers any of the mechanics and it doesn't matter at all. power creep has completely obliterated any challenge it might have originally presented.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
That said, the Extreme version of Striking Tree (so, not the version you're forced to do) is basically the first piece of outright Hard Content that the game really puts forward, so it tends to catch new players flat-footed. Yeah, there were Extremes before it, but they weren't actually big steps above what the game asked you to do in earlier difficulties of that fight; Ramuh is.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Cleretic posted:

That said, the Extreme version of Striking Tree (so, not the version you're forced to do) is basically the first piece of outright Hard Content that the game really puts forward, so it tends to catch new players flat-footed. Yeah, there were Extremes before it, but they weren't actually big steps above what the game asked you to do in earlier difficulties of that fight; Ramuh is.

ramuh ex basically boils down to the tanks handling the orbs and everyone else handling the fear/shock mechanic. and even then i've run it in mentor roulette as a solo tank with six sprouts and cleared it

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

old hard content was pretty dumb. players are a lot better these days, even accounting for the power creep

(exception made for hw savage raiding, which from all accounts and what i've seen was excruciating thanks to a confluence of questionable game design decisions)

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 11:43 on Nov 23, 2022

Black Griffon
Mar 12, 2005

Now, in the quantum moment before the closure, when all become one. One moment left. One point of space and time.

I know who you are. You are destiny.

Thanks for the reassurances, I'm probably overthinking things a bit, yeah. On the subject of targeting it's honestly a question of making it less annoying more than making it "correct", especially in pvp, where there's so much happening that I can barely see my mouse cursor.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
the actual hard extreme of ARR was mog, because it's so goddamn janky imo.
re: HW, people kept saying the game was too easy in ARR, so due to feedback, HW was made a little harder, and this combined with server tickrate positioning/tether jank killed so many statics lmao

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Oneiros posted:

(exception made for hw savage raiding, which from all accounts and what i've seen was excruciating thanks to a confluence of questionable game design decisions)
pepsimaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Black Griffon posted:

Thanks for the reassurances, I'm probably overthinking things a bit, yeah. On the subject of targeting it's honestly a question of making it less annoying more than making it "correct", especially in pvp, where there's so much happening that I can barely see my mouse cursor.

pvp is just a shitshow (frontlines) or, potentially, a naked jello wrestling match (cc). regular tab targeting and closest target will serve you best there. understanding how targeting actually works (right-to-left vs left-to-right) in conjunction with controlling your camera helps, tho.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Truga posted:

the actual hard extreme of ARR was mog, because it's so goddamn janky imo.
re: HW, people kept saying the game was too easy in ARR, so due to feedback, HW was made a little harder, and this combined with server tickrate positioning/tether jank killed so many statics lmao

early good king moogle mog i could see being trouble, but these days it's just getting people to understand the mechanic (get every small moogle as low as possible before you kill one. that's the fight.)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Oneiros posted:

early good king moogle mog i could see being trouble, but these days it's just getting people to understand the mechanic (get every small moogle as low as possible before you kill one. that's the fight.)

did they not change the EX when they changed the hard one?

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Black Griffon posted:

everything else is sort of clicking wildly into a maelstrom of huge, glowing hell and hoping I draw aggro.

Character Configuration -> Control Settings -> Battle Effect Settings -> Party [X] Show Limited, Others [X] Show Limited

As somebody who started the game getting constant visual overload and spacing out for split seconds in dungeon combat this will remove most stuff except the most meaningful team work visuals such as healer bubbles to stand in and ninja ground aoes to drag mobs out of to hear them scream.

I also recommend Hud Layout -> Enemy List. Make sure it's somewhere easy to see and click. If you have the enemy pile on you but there's something loose it'll be a green dot instead of a red dot on the list, you can click the name directly and throw a +threat axe at them!

hopeandjoy posted:

Thank you.

*humming and squinting, thinking critically*

*reaches over and pats the lizard on the head*

A good lizard. :hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Countblanc posted:

did they not change the EX when they changed the hard one?

i thiiiiiink my last thornmarch ex was after they changed the (hard) version soooo, no?

it's soooooo weird seeing the shared tb mechanic/marker in there now