Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

wesleywillis posted:

Only the penitent ones shall cross this patio, and only if they can spell Jehovah.

in latin

:actually: The test where where the hint was "Only the penitent man shall pass" was the first test, The Breath of God, in which the penitent mant must be humble before God and kneel (or get decapitated).

Stepping on the letters to spell the name of God is actually the second test, The Word of God - "Only in the footsteps of God will he proceed."

Boy, I bet you sure feel like a real dunce now. Ha!... Ha... Jesus, what am I doing with my life...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Cthulu Carl posted:

Iesus, what am I doing with my life...

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

nomad2020 posted:

You’ve all heard of the retro-encabulator, well I’m here to introduce the hyper-encabulator .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nKk_-Lvhzo
Original's still the best
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Blue Moonlight
Apr 28, 2005
Bitter and Sarcastic

Holy poo poo, if someone ever needs some technobabble for Star Trek, they should just use the Operation paragraph.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

Blue Footed Booby posted:

People are scared of wasps, but too embarrassed to admit being irrationally scared. So they tie themselves in knots justifying it as totally sensible and rational. "Wasps are evil, hateful bastards believe me one stung me totally unprovoked when I was seven."

I have a rational fear of yellow jackets thank you very much. I grew up in a rural mountain town and we had a pond by my house they'd stock with trout. Lots of summers spent fishing. The little yellow bastards would show up and ruin the chill summer days with their aggressive, give me your fish attitude.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Team Rocket

https://i.imgur.com/8FTwHBf.mp4

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I couldn't get used to using a bidet either.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Nenonen posted:

I couldn't get used to using a bidet either.
They're really not that bad once you learn to stick the landing.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/gvBXPyF.mp4

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/AgvtHfU.mp4
Molten iron

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I made my career out of working with HF, and worse, on the lab scale.

I will never fry a turkey. I know people do it all the time with zero issue (I could too) but nope not gonna.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
All you need to do is work out how much oil you need, and put exactly that much oil in and no more.

Yes, I know it doesn't look like enough. It is enough. Don't add more than that.

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

This is why I used a metal a-frame ladder and a pulley system to lower my turkey into the oil a couple years ago. It was hilariously overengineered but I still had eyebrows at the end of the night.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Wistful of Dollars posted:

I suppose if there's any job site to be hurt at...

A coworker poked herself in the eye last week and scratched her cornea.

Luckily, we work in an ophthalmology office.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

AFewBricksShy posted:

This is why I used a metal a-frame ladder and a pulley system to lower my turkey into the oil a couple years ago. It was hilariously overengineered but I still had eyebrows at the end of the night.

My friends did that last year on the back porch. The dogs didn’t stop licking the oil patch for a week.

Apparently, the safe way to do it is to heat the oil to the proper temp, turn off the heating element, insert the turkey, and then turn the heat back on.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Also make sure the wings and legs are trussed up so they don't catch on the pot, trim the neck skin so it doesn't catch oil and spurt it out on the way in, and make sure the bird is thoroughly thawed.

Why people don't turn off the ignition source is beyond me, it is the single thing that turns a spill into an inferno.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Why people don't turn off the ignition source is beyond me, it is the single thing that turns a spill into an inferno.

To keep this family together. With out Uncle Ed's turkey fire of '19, no one would have bothered rsvp'ing '22.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Best recommendation is to put the thawed turkey in, fill up the pot with water until the turkey is almost completely submerged, then remove the turkey. Use a marker or something to mark the water level. Empty and dry out the pot, then fill the oil to that level. I've seen so many idiots fill upo the pot and start heating without thinking of how much oil they actually need.

And yes for the love of god turn your flame off when you dip. You can turn it back on after and the drop in temp is so minimal compred to the potential danger. Another tip I was given is to dip and remove the turkey three or four times before leaving it in. Supposed to help crisp up the skin. Might be bullshit but mine turn out really good.

Edit: VV Putting things in cold oil to then heat up tends to ruin the food. You need it to be at temp the second you drop the food in so it wil be crispy and not a soggy greasy mess.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Nov 23, 2022

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

Also make sure the wings and legs are trussed up so they don't catch on the pot, trim the neck skin so it doesn't catch oil and spurt it out on the way in, and make sure the bird is thoroughly thawed.

couldnt you just start from cold oil and avoid this mess alltogether or am I missing some critical component to this holiday?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

champagne posting posted:

couldnt you just start from cold oil and avoid this mess alltogether or am I missing some critical component to this holiday?

When frying something you need to preheat the oil.

Yes, you could use cold oil and a turkey to measure, no, they don't.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost
i thought the point of frying a turkey was to create a massive fireball, otherwise you'd just brine it and cook it in the oven

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

https://i.imgur.com/usINXaU.mp4

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Flamethrower is how we dealt with lantern flies this year so can't hate on this guy.

thepopmonster
Feb 18, 2014

B-Rock452 posted:

Flamethrower is how we dealt with lantern flies this year so can't hate on this guy.

... approximately how large were those lantern flies?

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

This is how you cook turkey.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

thepopmonster posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5FqdEJoqew&t=33s

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I've done this, it doesn't work because the meltwater just refreezes into plate armor a few seconds later

Vakal
May 11, 2008

AFewBricksShy posted:

Are you Alton Brown?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O14bgW8xmqk

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

thepopmonster posted:

They get pretty big.

Blue Footed Booby
Oct 4, 2006

got those happy feet

thepopmonster posted:

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

So as a non-American, is a fried turkey that much better than a turkey prepared in other ways? It seems like way too much effort, even disregarding the risk lol, for a minor gain. Risking severe bodily harm and/or burning your house down for a slightly tastier turkey lmao...

...It's a masculinity thing, isn't it?

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

Taeke posted:

So as a non-American, is a fried turkey that much better than a turkey prepared in other ways? It seems like way too much effort, even disregarding the risk lol, for a minor gain. Risking severe bodily harm and/or burning your house down for a slightly tastier turkey lmao...

If you're not American, you're not going to truly understand why we deep fry everything.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Taeke posted:

No, frying a turkey actually is probably the only way to truly evenly heat the bird from all surfaces, inside and out. It cooks it much faster (under an hour), and being submerged in boiling oil really helps it steam itself from its own moisture. Done correctly, without ever letting the oil temperature get low, it doesn't even get greasy. The skin does, but it's not as if the meat gets saturated with the grease. While it is potentially much more dangerous, the results are very consistent. If you do the math correctly (3 min per pound +15 minutes, I think), and verify final temp with a thermometer in the breasts and thighs, you're pretty much guaranteed there won't be dry meat anywhere.

Also, you can use the vat of oil to fry other stuff, like corn tortillas to make a big basket of chips, breaded mac and cheese balls, etc.

HenryJLittlefinger fucked around with this message at 17:16 on Nov 23, 2022

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

It's also somewhat tricky to oven roast a turkey well and not have it be very dry, which is what happens to a lot of people. A deep fried turkey is much more crispy on the outside and moist inside.

But mostly it's a dumb American food crime / meme.

Post poste
Mar 29, 2010

Taeke posted:

It's the only way my family had ever tasted meat that wasn't dry, and had more flavor than salt and pepper.

I hate the Midwest

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Potato Salad posted:

I've done this, it doesn't work because the meltwater just refreezes into plate armor a few seconds later

It just needs an immediate salting

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Taeke posted:

I love that our reputation is that every thing we do is to appear more manly. It's really good turkey, takes way less time, and there's really minimal risk if you're not a brain dead idiot.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Get in my guard, bro!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

Taeke posted:

It is that much more delicious. Really. Fresh fried turkey skin is amazing.

The problem is that safe turkey frying takes several preparation steps that cannot be automated into the fryer itself. Thus, the annual cutscenes of idiots making the same basic mistakes.

Essentially:

1. Proper amount of oil, not underfilled and especially not overfilled.
2. Turkey not frozen or wet.
3. Oil up to temperature but not way over temp.
4. Ignition source shut off when turkey is inserted.”, so that any boilover is a spill and not a fireball.
5. Turkey SLOWLY inserted, as there is a chimney effect of hot oil running up through the bird’s cavity.
6. Fryer in open area and not near flammable stuff. Don’t do it indoors or in your garage.
7. No animals/children running around it.

As you can see, nobody can design a product that can safely incorporate these steps. That’s why there are no UL-listed turkey friers. It’s entirely up to the preparer’s sense of responsibility and safety.

Every single turkey frying mishap violated one of those above steps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

No, frying a turkey actually is probably the only way to truly evenly heat the bird from all surfaces, inside and out.

So many houses burned down because people are to scared to spatchcock the bird. If you need manliness points you can then smoke it instead of cooking it in the oven. I've never had a fried bird that was better than a smoked bird.