Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

nwin posted:

I’ve got a robot and used to do a ton of espresso.

Now, on days where I don’t want a few cups of coffee with the mocca master, I just make an americano instead.

Do you use the standard tamp?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Google Butt posted:

Gotcha, I think I'm gonna do it.

What hand grinder would you guys pair with it? JX-pro? Would like to remain budget conscious with it.

jx-pro is great

you might also look around on youtube about their other models, i'm not familiar with their various strengths/weaknesses but i know there's a lot more 1zpresso stuff on the market out there around that like $150-200 price point

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

Google Butt posted:

For those who hand pull espresso, how often are you drinking that vs regular coffee? I'm looking at Robots again, but I've never been an espresso guy..

I've been thinking about buying a robot for the last year or two. And then I saw this souped-up Europiccola/Professional for sale. Retail I think is around $1100-1200 for the La Pavoni, but the retail price of all those accessories and the pressure gauge add up. I think if it were new, that's almost $1500 for what this guy is selling.

My brother, who has a Streitman CT2, is of the opinion to never buy a used machine. Do y'all have any opinions about this particular model?

https://www.home-barista.com/buysell/la-pavoni-professional-with-accessories-t83481.html

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Do you use the standard tamp?

No I bought the self-leveling one…way easier.

You might want to check out Orphan Espresso as well…they made a tamper and a leveling rake for the Robot which both get good reviews.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

nwin posted:

No I bought the self-leveling one…way easier.

You might want to check out Orphan Espresso as well…they made a tamper and a leveling rake for the Robot which both get good reviews.

Oh yeah I see the rake too, neat. What's up with the paper filters they sell? Are those required?

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Robot with the pressure gauge is also pretty important if you do go that route. You could absolutely be blowing past 9bar very easily

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Google Butt posted:

Oh yeah I see the rake too, neat. What's up with the paper filters they sell? Are those required?

I bought some of the filters but I rarely use them. But my palate is pretty lovely.

The barista version with the gauge is a good idea. I had no idea what 6-8 bar felt like but don’t use it much anymore.

You could put it on a bathroom scale and get a feel for it that way if you don’t want to spend the extra on the version with the gauge though.

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
trying to wrap my head around a good espresso machine alternative to the god awful nespresso torture device i have - all with a deadline looming, and i'm honestly losing my mind a bit

i was encouraged by someone to just get a breville with a separate grinder, and since shopping online here in europe is a mess, i found a somewhat affordable Breville Barista Mini VCF125. i also read a recommendation for the Gaggia Classic (Pro?) (one i found had ean 886948011010), but it sounds like it has a whole host of horror stories where you may not have to buy a bunch of dlc to make it more useable, on top of it perhaps not fitting taller glasses for latte very well. basically all the review sites and customer reviews keep contradicting each other, so i turn to goons. third, fourth options welcome, but the options here seem fairly limited

i just want something actually drinkable, and while i have a decent palate for coffee, i'm also not looking to necessarily ascend to a higher level as much as avoid paying for expensive nespresso capsules that taste awful in their horrid machines while making something of actual enjoyable quality that's not just there to be gulped down as quickly as possible

kliras fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 23, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

kliras posted:

trying to wrap my head around a good espresso machine alternative to the god awful nespresso torture device i have - all with a deadline looming, and i'm honestly losing my mind a bit

i was encouraged by someone to just get a breville with a separate grinder, and since shopping online here in europe is a mess, i found a somewhat affordable Breville Barista Mini VCF125. i also read a recommendation for the Gaggia Classic (Pro?) (one i found had ean 886948011010), but it sounds like it has a whole host of horror stories where you may not have to buy a bunch of dlc to make it more useable, on top of it perhaps not fitting taller glasses for latte very well. basically all the review sites and customer reviews keep contradicting each other, so i turn to goons. third, fourth options welcome, but the options here seem fairly limited

i just want something actually drinkable, and while i have a decent palate for coffee, i'm also not looking to necessarily ascend to a higher level as much as avoid paying for expensive nespresso capsules that taste awful in their horrid machines while making something of actual enjoyable quality that's not just there to be gulped down as quickly as possible

what’s your budget, what equipment do you already have, how much experience do you have making espresso, and are you willing to drink pourover or french press or drip which are all much easier and cheaper to make than espresso, and are easier to make taste good

kliras
Mar 27, 2021

hypnophant posted:

what’s your budget, what equipment do you already have, how much experience do you have making espresso, and are you willing to drink pourover or french press or drip which are all much easier and cheaper to make than espresso, and are easier to make taste good
i'm in a smaller european country, so prices are basically completely arbitrary here unless i'm able to buy directly from the manufacturers themselves. no fixed budget, but let's say €300 is about my "solid quality for something i use and depend on, but not embarrassingly expensive"

oh, and i don't have much in the way of equipment, nor experience of making espresso beyond the nespresso. a big problem with all the nespresso machines i've had and used is that the taste of the coffee quickly starts to go down within a month because of how much a hassle it is to clean and maintain, even with filtered water, fastidious cleaning, and regular descaling

basically i tend to prefer lattes with oat milk (whenever a machine is even able to foam it, which nespressos aren't), and i'm also dealing with recurring acid reflux these days which seems to be worse if i'm drinking coffee straight without any milk, but that's just purely anecdotal

but i guess i'm open to other options, too. i guess i'm also traumatized from horrid office coffee etc to really consider other methods being viable

kliras fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Nov 23, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

kliras posted:

i'm in a smaller european country, so prices are basically completely arbitrary here unless i'm able to buy directly from the manufacturers themselves. no fixed budget, but let's say €300 is about my "solid quality for something i use and depend on, but not embarrassingly expensive"

oh, and i don't have much in the way of equipment, nor experience of making espresso beyond the nespresso. a big problem with all the nespresso machines i've had and used is that the taste of the coffee quickly starts to go down within a month because of how much a hassle it is to clean and maintain, even with filtered water, fastidious cleaning, and regular descaling

basically i tend to prefer lattes with oat milk (whenever a machine is even able to foam it, which nespressos aren't), and i'm also dealing with recurring acid reflux these days which seems to be worse if i'm drinking coffee straight without any milk, but that's just purely anecdotal

but i guess i'm open to other options, too. i guess i'm also traumatized from horrid office coffee etc to really consider other methods being viable

breville/sage barista mini is probably your best option in that range unless you’re willing to do a ton of research and hunt for something used. I don’t recommend a gaggia; it can make competent espresso if you know what you’re doing but milk drinks are a chore on a single boiler machine. The steam wand on the barista mini is supposed to be good for the price and it comes with a pressurized portafilter basket so you don’t need a good grinder at home. Be aware it’s not a one-button machine like a nespresso even though it looks like one. It will benefit a lot from knowing how to dial in to get your extraction right, even with the pressurized basket, and it will take some practice to get good results.

Alternatively: moka pot and milk frother. You can definitely get a moka pot in any country in the schengen area and a milk frother can be as simple as, like, a whisk. Use your extra budget (most of it) on a good burr grinder and decent quality beans, which contribute much more to tasty coffee than even the fanciest machine. Check out this video for instructions: https://youtu.be/rpyBYuu-wJI

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
awesome, thanks. the Sage the Bambino Plus SES500BSS appears to be the one that's available to also buy, any idea whether that or the Breville Barista Mini VCF125 from before is better?

afaict, a lot of it comes down to temperature and steam control, and the baskets having a more standardized size. apparently the model i can get is the plus version without the steam woes, so maybe that's the ideal pick

e: oh yeah, and because the store with the breville seems a little sus, the more reliable breville option might be the Breville Barista Bijou from another store. love shopping like this online, definitely not a total mess

so far the sage is looking like the easier pick, but no idea what rep it has compared

kliras fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Nov 23, 2022

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
I did mean the bambino. stick to the bambino.

breville, an australian company, is known as breville everywhere but europe and the uk, where the name breville was already in use. breville international sells the same products under the sage brand in europe. the european breville also sells coffee machines and other small appliances and apparently are counting on consumer confusion with the larger international breville to help them do so, judging by how much of their product line looks like knockoffs of breville/sage’s stuff.

I knew most of this before I posted and still got confused, so no wonder you’re having a hard time finding stuff

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Nov 23, 2022

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

BrianBoitano posted:

I have a Flair Pro 2 and I make 1-2 shots per day, entirely replacing pour over. I only use the French press for guests who decline espresso.

I have and really enjoy my JX-Pro, which was a goon rec.

I've got the Flair Pro 2 as well and I've gotten pretty consistent with it. We usually only use it a few times a week, usually as a midday treat. The workflow isn't insignificant, even though I have it down, and I often want to enjoy a longer cup of coffee. Most days we do a few 'pots' out of our Clever Coffee Dripper. I'm keeping a close eye on the Odyssey Argos. If they end up making a good machine, I'll probably pick one up and drink more espresso. Having the steam wand would be a big selling point for my wife.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

How in the hell am I supposed to decide on a robot color wtf

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Google Butt posted:

How in the hell am I supposed to decide on a robot color wtf

the choice has been made for you and it’s retro green

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

hypnophant posted:

the choice has been made for you and it’s retro green matte black

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

I got blue

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kliras posted:

awesome, thanks. the Sage the Bambino Plus SES500BSS appears to be the one that's available to also buy

I got this when my lovely Delonghi machine broke at the start of covid and it was absolutely worth it. I'll probably keep it until it breaks, upgrading the other components of my setup before this. The button to do the milk is useful - set how you want it in terms of temperature and volume, put the jug on the sensor, then it does the rest.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

I'm thinking yeah, that's the one.

Also had a random monthly moment of excitement for my kaffelogic. Does anyone know how legit the ready to drink profiles are?

drat December is gonna rock. Excited to have the ability to roast extremely small batches of beans (80g minimum) from an 8lb sweet marias espresso sampler, to then immediately experiment with the Robot. Shits never gonna get boring!

kliras
Mar 27, 2021
thanks, all, appreciate it

there's apparently also a crap ton of upsale for water filters and god knows what else on this sage bambino. i already filter the water i put in everything, but is there anything worth getting? and what do you lot use for descaling, if not eight proprietary cleaning tablets that cost an eight of the machine?

edit: the sage barista express is also heavily discounted and €135 more than the bambino in the same store, gdi. how would that care, uh, hypothetically?

kliras fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Nov 23, 2022

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Google Butt posted:

Also had a random monthly moment of excitement for my kaffelogic. Does anyone know how legit the ready to drink profiles are?

drat December is gonna rock. Excited to have the ability to roast extremely small batches of beans (80g minimum) from an 8lb sweet marias espresso sampler, to then immediately experiment with the Robot. Shits never gonna get boring!

Won’t they be undrinkably fresh? I have to rest espresso beans for at least 2 weeks after the roasting date. Otherwise you get that strong carbonic acid flavour masking everything due to all the CO2 from the roasting process.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

kliras posted:

there's apparently also a crap ton of upsale for water filters and god knows what else on this sage bambino. i already filter the water i put in everything, but is there anything worth getting? and what do you lot use for descaling, if not eight proprietary cleaning tablets that cost an eight of the machine?

edit: the sage barista express is also heavily discounted and €135 more than the bambino in the same store, gdi

I had the machine 2 years before it asked me to descale it. I also bought third party descaler and filters, each being about 1/3rd of the price. Edit: For these I just searched Amazon for 'Sage Bambino filter' or similar and it showed the knock-offs, which have been fine.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Nov 23, 2022

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Gunder posted:

Won’t they be undrinkably fresh? I have to rest espresso beans for at least 2 weeks after the roasting date. Otherwise you get that strong carbonic acid flavour masking everything due to all the CO2 from the roasting process.

they make a lot of Claims about "ready to drink" that i am also very curious about. it seems to be centered around the idea that air roasters fundamentally age differently, but i am unaware of any data that supports this (though with coffee science, there's no data about like, practically anything)

haven't looked at the actual graphs, not sure if it's just like lengthening the mid phase to try to make it more readily soluble sooner or something

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Google Butt posted:

Might as well throw in a nanofoamer for a semblance of milk drinks!

Niyqor
Dec 1, 2003

Paid for by the meat council of America

eke out posted:

they make a lot of Claims about "ready to drink" that i am also very curious about. it seems to be centered around the idea that air roasters fundamentally age differently, but i am unaware of any data that supports this (though with coffee science, there's no data about like, practically anything)

I air roast with a fresh roast and definitely notice an improvement of flavor over the first 5 or so days post roast. Maybe it is something they do with the roast profile.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

I'm thinking about getting a Moccamaster for Christmas. Do people prefer the glass jug or the thermos jug? I work from home basically drink a cup at breakfast and another after lunch, could I just brew the coffee once with the glass jug and would it hold until lunch? Would it be suitable if I just brew for two cups a days?

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

kliras posted:

edit: the sage barista express is also heavily discounted and €135 more than the bambino in the same store, gdi. how would that care, uh, hypothetically?

The barista express comes with a pretty ok grinder, which makes it a worthwhile upgrade. Grinding fresh at an appropriate coarseness setting for your method is always a benefit over preground, but it’s especially critical for espresso. Otherwise I think the BE mostly has the same capabilities as the bambino.

For descaling and cleaning, urnex makes specific products for cleaning the brew group, the steam wand, descaling, and cleaning the grinder if you go for the BE. Cafiza (for cleaning the brew group) is a must imo. If you can’t get urnex cafiza in your region you can probably get puly caff which does the same thing.

You can use a generic citric acid in place of the descaler, which you may be able to find at a supermarket or hardware store. Here’s a guide which will be suitable for almost any machine. Basically you mix a solution of citric acid (around two tablespoons per liter) and flush an entire tank through your machine, making sure to flush the steam wand and water dispenser as well if those are present. Then a tank of clean water, then you’re done.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oB1oDrDkHM

Did anyone post Hoffman's new recipe itt? It looks like a mix between the 4:6 method and the Scott Rao method.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Average Lettuce posted:

I'm thinking about getting a Moccamaster for Christmas. Do people prefer the glass jug or the thermos jug? I work from home basically drink a cup at breakfast and another after lunch, could I just brew the coffee once with the glass jug and would it hold until lunch? Would it be suitable if I just brew for two cups a days?

thermal carafe by a mile. the glass carafe is fine if you pour and drink immediately, but if you leave it on the hot plate for longer than maybe twenty minutes it will overheat and burn your coffee. However even the thermal carafe might not hold it as hot as you like for three or four hours; for that i’d recommend a zojirushi flask, which will keep your coffee too hot to drink until late in the evening if you keep it closed.

For the size, there’s some flexibility but drip machines brew best when close to their capacity. Two big mugs will be around 28oz, which would be fine in a 32oz brewer but less than ideal in the 40oz. Two small cups won’t work as well and you would want to find a single serve brewer.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Niyqor posted:

I air roast with a fresh roast and definitely notice an improvement of flavor over the first 5 or so days post roast. Maybe it is something they do with the roast profile.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some appreciable differences in how aging works based on method (and, anecdotally, some claim air roasts do "age" quicker). But my freshroast air roasts taste sparkling and carbonic an hour after roasting just like my drum roaster does, it's hard to understand how much playing around with phases could really affect the chemistry there.

eke out fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Nov 23, 2022

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

Average Lettuce posted:

The thermal carafe works great for this in my experience. It’s not scorching hot after a few hours but it’s still good

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Thirding the thermal carafe. I bought the glass one first and I 1) hated cleaning it because I felt like I could drop and break it at any second, and 2) the warming plate didn’t do a good job of keeping the coffee fresh over time.

The thermal is easy to clean. Once I go through a box of filters, I descale the machine and throw a dishwasher detergent pod in the carafe with warm water. Let it sit for an hour and it’s good to go after rinsing it out.

Average Lettuce
Oct 22, 2012

Thanks for all the advice! I'll go for the thermal if I don't consider another alternative to brew less coffee.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Espressocoffeeshop has 15% off for Black Friday, have excellent prices to begin with, and offer 110v/220v products with super fast US shipping.

https://www.espressocoffeeshop.com/en/

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

eke out posted:

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if there are some appreciable differences in how aging works based on method (and, anecdotally, some claim air roasts do "age" quicker). But my freshroast air roasts taste sparkling and carbonic an hour after roasting just like my drum roaster does, it's hard to understand how much playing around with phases could really affect the chemistry there.

I had this same feeling but I'm kind of convinced there might actually be a notable difference after watching these webinars. If what is being said is true, it's capable of far more minute changes than I expected. So much so that kaffelogic works directly with commercial roasters to set up cupping profiles for the nano and conversions for those profiles to their larger roasters.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XnPArRPKLI4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5diXsZ4hCoE

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Thanks for the Normcore tamper recommendations. Mine arrived this week (like a week from order!) and it’s pretty great.

Could be a hint wider but gets the job done and way cheaper than most others.

Not really sure what the point of changing the springs would be though.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012
at one point tamping pressure was considered an important variable in your pick prep. It really isn’t any more but some people still care

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
Regarding moccamaster thermal carafs, the KGBT kind of sucks in my opinion, barely keeps it warm for 30 minutes. Can't speak for the rest of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Is there a go to video or other resources for making good milk drinks?

Also nwin, are you still using microwaved milk + nano foamer when making milk drinks with your robot? Looking through the thread I see you also have an aeroccino, what are your thoughts on that one

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 04:58 on Nov 24, 2022