Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

JosefStalinator posted:

Which ones are the glass dwarves? I'll give them a try!

Do you have any other recommendations for dwarves to try out?
The glass hold is the westernmost one in the Serpentsreach(mountain range separating fantasy europe and fantasy middle east) but they start uncolonized, you have to play as the adventuring company that starts on a rail province a bit to the east and migrate a bunch.

The marble hold is likewise uncolonized and slightly to the south east from the glass hold, you can probably make a save after migrating your adventure company most of the way west do both playthroughs from the same start.

The third new dwarf mission tree from this update is also pretty good if you can stand the wacky tone, to play as them you need to start as the red country in the north of Rahen(fantasy India) until you get an event that your dwarven refugees are starting an adventuring company to reclaim their home and pick the option to play as them, then colonize the hold that's right next to your initial country.

Other dwarf countries that I've had fun with are the pink remnant faction in the reach and the ice hold in the separate mini mountain range in the northern arctic. Though for the latter there's a few things you might want to prioritize to avoid a bit of time crunch for completing their MT:
-Make a territory snake along the rails down to the volcano hold at the eastern tip of the reach because you need to excavate it to a certain depth, which will take a considerable amount of time and possibly monarch power
-start casting the spell that reinforces your holds with ice-steel early. You need to get it on the volcano hold but it has a maximum of 10 targeting candidates from among all your un-reinforced holds and the one you need has a low priority for getting selected

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I know when I was trying out the in dev build for the glass hold there were some wonky issues where the MT would assume countries near you were still around when they regularly already got conquered very quickly. I'm not sure if those points got fixed, I have not gone back to EU4 recently. Maybe I'll try out the new railskulker.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Asehujiko posted:

Other dwarf countries that I've had fun with are the pink remnant faction in the reach and the ice hold in the separate mini mountain range in the northern arctic.

The ice hold is A+ dwarven storytelling. Honestly though all the new high quality MTs makes me hope some older ones like Amldihr get a pass eventually as Shazstundihr was a fantastic run.

With that said I do enjoy that a bunch of non-mass-conquest countries are getting such extensive mission trees.

E: And a reminder that https://sites.google.com/view/anbennar-missions/missions exists with all the released mission trees. Doesn't always stay up-to-date for indev but is a great first stop to see if a country looks interesting.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 12:22 on Nov 23, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm gonna try an Escann game myself for the first time with Iron Hammers > Hammerhome while I work on getting my Zanlib MT proposal through review.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

They also added an MT for Verkal Ozovar, the hold in a big mountain in the middle of Haless, for people who want to have a million vassals and never own more than one province.

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

Asehujiko posted:

The glass hold is the westernmost one in the Serpentsreach(mountain range separating fantasy europe and fantasy middle east) but they start uncolonized, you have to play as the adventuring company that starts on a rail province a bit to the east and migrate a bunch.

The marble hold is likewise uncolonized and slightly to the south east from the glass hold, you can probably make a save after migrating your adventure company most of the way west do both playthroughs from the same start.

The third new dwarf mission tree from this update is also pretty good if you can stand the wacky tone, to play as them you need to start as the red country in the north of Rahen(fantasy India) until you get an event that your dwarven refugees are starting an adventuring company to reclaim their home and pick the option to play as them, then colonize the hold that's right next to your initial country.

Other dwarf countries that I've had fun with are the pink remnant faction in the reach and the ice hold in the separate mini mountain range in the northern arctic. Though for the latter there's a few things you might want to prioritize to avoid a bit of time crunch for completing their MT:
-Make a territory snake along the rails down to the volcano hold at the eastern tip of the reach because you need to excavate it to a certain depth, which will take a considerable amount of time and possibly monarch power
-start casting the spell that reinforces your holds with ice-steel early. You need to get it on the volcano hold but it has a maximum of 10 targeting candidates from among all your un-reinforced holds and the one you need has a low priority for getting selected

Gonna try all these runs!

What's the name of the Dwarven group that forms out of the Rahen nation?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

JosefStalinator posted:

Gonna try all these runs!

What's the name of the Dwarven group that forms out of the Rahen nation?

Hul-az-Krakazol. Amethyst Dwarves

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Oh dear, my god heir went Corinite during the Crimson Deluge and Hammerhome needs to stay RC for the MT. Now I'm 170yo and stuck with no heir and no consort because there's no RC dwarves to marry lol

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

In the Escannbowl phase of my Hammerhome game, it's pretty fun desperately trying to keep a megacoalition from forming on me while I try to unite all of Escann.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

I uh think the new version of Anbennar (or maybe just the Varaine campaign?) might have some bugs

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Wafflecopper posted:

I uh think the new version of Anbennar (or maybe just the Varaine campaign?) might have some bugs

that's just the trade bug again. Something about countries joining trade leagues and then becoming merchant republics, or something like that, causes the trade league goods modifier to go haywire and overflow, blowing up every trade node they're connected to. it's in base eu4 too it just almost never happens there because the circumstances that cause it are rare. But because Escann consists of a bunch of OPMs that are guaranteed to change government type in the first 50 years it happens way more often in Anbennar.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

oh okay, hadn't heard of that one. cheers. shame i have to write the run off though since i'm going bankrupt every month or two

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Wafflecopper posted:

oh okay, hadn't heard of that one. cheers. shame i have to write the run off though since i'm going bankrupt every month or two

Closing and restarting the game fixes it I believe.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Ibblebibble posted:

Oh dear, my god heir went Corinite during the Crimson Deluge and Hammerhome needs to stay RC for the MT. Now I'm 170yo and stuck with no heir and no consort because there's no RC dwarves to marry lol

Just become a lich. :unsmigghh:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

And that's the Hammerhome MT done. My first time in the Escannbowl was pretty fun.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Did Aristocratic ideas get buffed in the last patch? They're looking quite appealing now. Dev Cost, Manpower, Siege Pips, and Army Tradition are all really nice modifiers imo and there's some other "nice to have" tier stuff in there too like Nobility Loyalty which is effectively a bit of extra manpower, cheaper generals and mil tech levels, ticking Absolutism and Autonomy reduction. Most of its policies are pretty meh though unfortunately.

Speaking of mil groups with lackluster policies, how are meta/math nerds feeling about Defensive now that morale got tweaked again?

Quorum posted:

Closing and restarting the game fixes it I believe.

Thanks for this, you saved my run!

Wafflecopper fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 27, 2022

Mysticblade
Oct 22, 2012

Yeah, they got buffed last patch. The cav buffs got big boosts but I don't remember enough about the idea set before to say much.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Aristocratic is pretty okay now. Good to pickup with exploration for 33% manpower if you need it.

Defensive is also pretty good, but morale is kinda ignored past early game bc you can deathstack and stackwipe everything. You insta stackwipe anything that rolls poorly twice in a row if you have more than double their troops

Kild fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Nov 27, 2022

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Just got around to forming the beer dwarf hold, haven't played much past formation but just based on the mission titles they seem like they're going to be fun.

TropicalCoke
Feb 14, 2012
I've been taking quality and defensive out the gate.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Economy is still stupidly strong for dwarves as a first pick as the construction cost reduction also affects the hold deepening and it still has its own -10% dev cost.

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Defensive ideas themselves are okish, but the policies are all just awful.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Was having a blast as the Glass Dwarves, crushed the Hoardcurse and the Obsidian legion, but then I hit a road block: I need to have 60% trade power in the Bahar node.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

MonsieurChoc posted:

Was having a blast as the Glass Dwarves, crushed the Hoardcurse and the Obsidian legion, but then I hit a road block: I need to have 60% trade power in the Bahar node.

I think I got over this hurdle through a combination of conquering more of the node, getting boat dwarves as a vassal and siphoning trade, and going over FL on boats. At that point you'll likely be making so much money that the extra maintenance cost won't matter at all.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Quorum posted:

I think I got over this hurdle through a combination of conquering more of the node, getting boat dwarves as a vassal and siphoning trade, and going over FL on boats. At that point you'll likely be making so much money that the extra maintenance cost won't matter at all.

I did two of those, but I'm not sure about conquering more land from the Phoenix Empire. I hit the real cap for boats, which is sailors.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Yeah I solved that by conquering all the Bahar node apart from the stuff held by my ally Ovdal whatever, putting marketplaces everywhere, and just going like twice my force limit on boats. I was only making 20 or so ducats a month when I finally got the 60 percent, it was very annoying. As for sailor issues, I guess don't protect trade until you have as many boats as you think you will need?

Firebatgyro
Dec 3, 2010
Make sure you TC all the land in the node too and build the TC building that gives you extra power.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Firebatgyro posted:

Make sure you TC all the land in the node too and build the TC building that gives you extra power.

This is, in retrospect, probably a better plan.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Hellioning posted:

This is, in retrospect, probably a better plan.

TCs are completely broken strong.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

You can hit 50% autonomy in TCs, they're kinda busted yea

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
finished out the newshire mission tree and then just went and conquered the small country and converted to start working on their mission tree, getting to keep all the buffs from newshire is pretty silly

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Trade Company did it, thanks a lot!

OctaviusBeaver
Apr 30, 2009

Say what now?
Do you need a fully colonized province in the new world to spawn colonialism, or if a colony is still being built does that count?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

OctaviusBeaver posted:

Do you need a fully colonized province in the new world to spawn colonialism, or if a colony is still being built does that count?

It just says "owns a province in the New World," and for missions beginning to colonize a province trips that condition, so I'd assume that's the case here too.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

I've gotten it with only a partial colony

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

I'm thinking of trying to do an Anbennar LP. It would be my first LP so I'm a bit nervous, but I just like this game and mod a lot.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'm thinking of trying to do an Anbennar LP. It would be my first LP so I'm a bit nervous, but I just like this game and mod a lot.

I would read it. I tried it out but I didn't like the fact that I would have to play several games as several nations to be able to understand how the world is doing. Like, who are what races and so on. Reading an LP might get me into the setting and break that barrier.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Valiantman posted:

I would read it. I tried it out but I didn't like the fact that I would have to play several games as several nations to be able to understand how the world is doing. Like, who are what races and so on. Reading an LP might get me into the setting and break that barrier.

The races are pretty clesrvia culture map mostly

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

MonsieurChoc posted:

Just Do It imo.

Idk if you meant SS or video, but my experience was my partner kept telling me to just be in her-turned-our twitch stream. I was really nervous but actually, it's really fun. The worst thing that can happen is someone on the internet thinks you're boring. I've never watched a VOD of myself and been disappointed, whereas like 75% of my tweets, posts, etc I will eventually cringe at.

Not quite the same but I figure the same broad points apply to LPs of both mediums. Pick something that you like, for example explaining Anbennar's setting, and have fun with it. You're not trying to hit it big on youtube and become the next PewDiePie so who cares?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Just Do It imo.

Idk if you meant SS or video, but my experience was my partner kept telling me to just be in her-turned-our twitch stream. I was really nervous but actually, it's really fun. The worst thing that can happen is someone on the internet thinks you're boring. I've never watched a VOD of myself and been disappointed, whereas like 75% of my tweets, posts, etc I will eventually cringe at.

Not quite the same but I figure the same broad points apply to LPs of both mediums. Pick something that you like, for example explaining Anbennar's setting, and have fun with it. You're not trying to hit it big on youtube and become the next PewDiePie so who cares?

I was planning screenshot but video might work too. Huh.