Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Which is the one where every attack has a 1 in 100 chance of death by anvil.

kingcom posted:

Tell me more, I want to know so badly. I feel like a Fallout TTRPG would have been the easiest goal possible to design around how does it become a complete mess.
The straight fan ports are usually very bad because they never seem to consider that the games have save slots.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theironjef
Aug 11, 2009

The archmage of unexpected stinks.

Fan RPGs based on videogames always trend too hard into slavish replication of the source even if it would be boring at a table.

Like Kain from FFIV is cool because of his aesthetic and his boring moveset isn't that bad because you've got four other characters. But in a fan RPG you pick Dragoon cause "gently caress yeah Kain!" and are then told like great, your power set is "Jump."

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

I played a few sessions of the latter and it absolutely did not work for a mixed melee and ranged party. Even buffing movement on the melee character they just had no chance of getting anything accomplished before the rest of the party blew away every enemy.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Splicer posted:

The straight fan ports are usually very bad because they never seem to consider that the games have save slots.
Came here to post this!

All those times in Fallout 2 where some schmuck with an Uzi gets a critical hit and turns you into shredded meat inside your power armor.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Splicer posted:

Which is the one where every attack has a 1 in 100 chance of death by anvil.

Yeah, Sawyer went on to be the dev lead on New Vegas too.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Epi Lepi posted:

I played a few sessions of the latter and it absolutely did not work for a mixed melee and ranged party. Even buffing movement on the melee character they just had no chance of getting anything accomplished before the rest of the party blew away every enemy.
Yeah that's the one I was thinking of and also tried to run at one point.

theironjef posted:

Fan RPGs based on videogames always trend too hard into slavish replication of the source even if it would be boring at a table.

Like Kain from FFIV is cool because of his aesthetic and his boring moveset isn't that bad because you've got four other characters. But in a fan RPG you pick Dragoon cause "gently caress yeah Kain!" and are then told like great, your power set is "Jump."
Along with this and the aforementioned instagibs there's also a huge difference between "Subtract 10 from damage then reduce the remainder by 30%" when a computer is handling all that in the background vs the GM pulling out the ol' T80.

Also SPECIAL has an entire ability score just for how hard you are to kill, what kind of garbage is that at the table lol.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I've definitely been at the table with people who thought "one firearms attack, in a game where firearms are common, can instantly splatter a heroic PC" is fun tradgame design, but in all fairness that was a Rifts table so who knows what was going on there

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

theironjef posted:

To be fair I remember the FFD6 Dragoon had a lot of poo poo other than Jump like Dragon Breath and Lancet

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Plutonis posted:

To be fair I remember the FFD6 Dragoon had a lot of poo poo other than Jump like Dragon Breath and Lancet

why does the dragoon get access to a british medical journal

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Arivia posted:

You've heard of barber-surgeons? Well, buddy, we are about to go next-level

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Plutonis posted:

Arivia posted:

To semiseriously answer this question, Freya in Final Fantasy 9 was a Dragon Knight/Dragoon and so came with a suite of learnable abilities beyond the innate Jump.

'Lancet' (FF10)' or 'Lancer' (FF9) was basically always superior to a regular attack in every respect other than in-game time as it did increased damage as well as restore HP and mana. Other notable abilities included Reis' Wind, which cast Regen on all allies (nice to have for boss fights), Cherry Blossom, which attacked all enemies, Dragon's Crest, which attacked a single target for a fixed amount based on the amount of defeated dragon-type enemies, and Six Dragons, which basically did random bullshit which might as well hurt you as much as help you and so basically sucked.

Dragoons/DragonKnights in FF14 also have a bunch of abilities, none of which are really as interesting as anything Freya had in terms of variety other than Dragon's Eye which grants a damage boost to a linked ally.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Has there ever been a game where a player’s choice of class/ability/etc also mechanically varied the victory conditions for encounters?

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

hyphz posted:

Has there ever been a game where a player’s choice of class/ability/etc also mechanically varied the victory conditions for encounters?

Video game or TTRPG?

There are loads of TTRPG where characters have different XP events/secret agendas.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
*glances at small mountain of PbtA games*

Nope, can't think of a single one.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Mirage posted:

lmao

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

hyphz posted:

Even in board games this happens... like in the classic Dune boardgame! Everyone is playing by mostly the same rules, but different players have different victory conditions. The Spacer's Guild automatically wins if you hit the round limit, so they can just aim for a long game instead of trying to win normally. The Bene Gesserit can write down a round number and a player, and if that player wins on that round, then actually the Bene Gesserit won because they foretold and planned it.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I did mean TTRPGs, yes.

PbtA I believe varies the conditions for gaining XP, not for winning encounters?

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

hyphz posted:

I did mean TTRPGs, yes.

PbtA I believe varies the conditions for gaining XP, not for winning encounters?

Can you go into what you mean? What does it mean to "win" an encounter?

Encounters can have different stakes (e.g., drive-off vs subdue vs kill). And I can imagine members of a party sometimes having different desires for outcome (cleric wants to kill, rogue wants to subdue), but that's going to be a lot of GM work and intra-party drama to do often. And I'm not sure how much mechanical support that needs.

Or do you mean something different by "win"?

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Mirage posted:

All right but what about good TTRPGs?

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver

hyphz posted:

I think just from this wording you could probably count any game that lets you resolve combat encounters without combat. I'd say for my money Forged in the Dark games do this a heck of a lot, with the players being able to decide pretty freely how they want to approach their heists. Though in blades the stats all use the same systems and I'm assuming you're maybe gesturing more towards having separate non-overlapping systems for resolving the same encounter, video game style? Burning Wheel or Cyberpunk may be a good one to look into for that (but my experience with both is unfortunately limited)

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
I mean, I was thinking like this (5 minute design, probably terrible in practice)

- instead of having Hit Points for the bad guy we have a pool of Victory Points. The PCs defeat the bad guy when they together score 100 VP.

- when Hulk hits the bad guy he scores 10 VP.

- when Spider-Man hits the bad guy he scores 15 VP but when Spider-Man is hit he loses VP (which Hulk doesn’t) as well as HP (which Hulk still does)

Basically I was thinking about how many systems have a problem with character expression because all characters are ultimately held to a common standard of success, and some character types will match that standard more closely than others. If success is raw damage total for everyone then of course Hulk will do better. If success is dealing damage without the enemy being able to strike back then of course Spidey will do better. But what if we don’t enforce a common standard anymore? It’s “dissociated” mind you..

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

hyphz posted:

Basically I was thinking about how many systems have a problem with character expression because all characters are ultimately held to a common standard of success, and some character types will match that standard more closely than others. If success is raw damage total for everyone then of course Hulk will do better. If success is dealing damage without the enemy being able to strike back then of course Spidey will do better. But what if we don’t enforce a common standard anymore? It’s “dissociated” mind you..

"What does it really mean to 'win,' maaaaan?"

There are a lot of games that deal with this. In Fellowship, to quickly defeat a foe, you have to gain an Advantage and then Finish Them. But what that Advantage is, and how you "finish" them, is not some numerical-mechanical thing, but is driven by the ongoing story and actions of the players. You could use your amazing martial ability to disarm and skewer them, of course, but you could also tell them a terrible truth (or amazing lie) and convince them this fight's not worth fighting, or pull their pants down and shove them in a broom closet. You can even talk bad guys over to your side. If you don't Finish Them immediately, you can still whittle away their abilities until they're functionally incapable of attacking you anyway.

Then you have games that are social-forward, like Hard Wired Island, or totally combat-averse, like Monster Care Squad. In games like those, you mostly pile up a bunch of results until you can trigger a new phase, and combat is tertiary at best. MCS is particularly interesting because a "win" is your team subduing, diagnosing, and healing a sick rampaging beast. Usually one big enough to eat a house.

But, yeah. Hit points are old school these days.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
https://12ft.io/proxy?q=https%3A%2F...ock-11668454430

quote:

An oversupply of Hasbro Inc.’s “Magic: The Gathering” cards is hurting the ecosystem for the fantasy trading-card game, “destroying the long-term value of the brand” and threatening sales, BofA analysts said in downgrading the stock on Monday.

Seems like WotC is doing the same things that Upper Desk did when they were riding high on sports cards. Flooding the market with more products than consumers will buy, ignoring their retailers and producing super-premium high priced products.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Bucnasti posted:

Seems like WotC is doing the same things that Upper Desk did when they were riding high on sports cards. Flooding the market with more products than consumers will buy, ignoring their retailers and producing super-premium high priced products.

Been talked about at length in the Trad Game Industry Thread. The important take away is lol hasbro.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mirage posted:

"What does it really mean to 'win,' maaaaan?"

There are a lot of games that deal with this. In Fellowship, to quickly defeat a foe, you have to gain an Advantage and then Finish Them. But what that Advantage is, and how you "finish" them, is not some numerical-mechanical thing, but is driven by the ongoing story and actions of the players. You could use your amazing martial ability to disarm and skewer them, of course, but you could also tell them a terrible truth (or amazing lie) and convince them this fight's not worth fighting, or pull their pants down and shove them in a broom closet. You can even talk bad guys over to your side. If you don't Finish Them immediately, you can still whittle away their abilities until they're functionally incapable of attacking you anyway.

Then you have games that are social-forward, like Hard Wired Island, or totally combat-averse, like Monster Care Squad. In games like those, you mostly pile up a bunch of results until you can trigger a new phase, and combat is tertiary at best. MCS is particularly interesting because a "win" is your team subduing, diagnosing, and healing a sick rampaging beast. Usually one big enough to eat a house.

But, yeah. Hit points are old school these days.
Are there any crunchy games with Wound/Injury/Madness analogues but no HP/Stress analogues? You can gain qualitative problems but there's no number counting down?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Bucnasti posted:

This has been done to death in like 3 or 4 other threads in this subforum including https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3849301&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=931#post527733374, but the report has been debunked and basically none of that is true. The market is not yet saturated, and even the super-premium stuff they've put out has been snapped up immediately.

GetDunked
Dec 16, 2011

respectfully

Splicer posted:

Are there any crunchy games with Wound/Injury/Madness analogues but no HP/Stress analogues? You can gain qualitative problems but there's no number counting down?

Some flavors of FATE do this depending on your definition of "crunchy".

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Splicer posted:

One of the Burning Wheel hacks went completely numberless*, but all Burning Wheel hacks fuse into one in my memory like a giant wizard-voice SRD, so I can't tell you.

*It had at least 2-3 tracks of increasingly negative narrative traits that terminated in character loss though. So de facto it's the same as if you had X many HP, where X is how long the trait chain is.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
That also sounds like City of Mist, but it's an aggressive death spiral.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

So a concrete-outcome damage system that does things like "He hits you for *rolls dice* a gimpy leg!"

It'd probably be table hell, especially if you had layered damage types (poisoned daggers, etc.), but it can be done. How fun it would be depends on the group.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Mirage posted:

So a concrete-outcome damage system that does things like "He hits you for *rolls dice* a gimpy leg!"

It'd probably be table hell, especially if you had layered damage types (poisoned daggers, etc.), but it can be done. How fun it would be depends on the group.

At least from memory (no I can't find it with cursory googling, hopefully I didn't make this up by accident) it was nowhere near that granular and was just a stacked list of negative traits that you could get as a possible consequence/complication from the generalized conflict rules. e.g. you won the Duel of Wits but it wasn't easy so you take Angry or Tired, which is more likely to lead to other problems (and you fluff it as being still worked up about not expressing yourself better or ashamed at losing your cool or whatever because "just kind of generally pissed off" isn't that interesting a character dynamic, trust me I live it.)

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Splicer posted:

I’d almost forgotten about this, but Legends of the Wulin (Fatal &Friends writeup) works exactly this way, no HP or alternative damage tracks at all, any and every source of damage, curses, emotional distress etc are modeled as Chi Conditions, which are most similar to Fate Aspects but have their own distinctions (most notably that they aren’t linked to a resource economy and can be created as either carrot or stick; i.e., “be bound by this condition and get a dice bonus” or “be bound by this condition or get a dice penalty”).

LOTW is streamlined from its previous edition Weapons of the Gods, but still several steps crunchier than something like Fate thanks to its interest in making lots of mechanically distinct martial arts. That said, I think 3.x and onwards D&D is extremely high crunch and that’s probably a lot of people’s baseline…

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Nov 22, 2022

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

people roast Shadow of the Demon Lord for being a very edgelordy game, but i am forever grateful to it because part of a supplement about edgy monsters led to me finding out i have a sensory processing disorder

i didnt realise that wasnt normal and its been a cause of a lot of hypochondria in my life bc if i feel a minor variation in breathing or digestion or my heart beating it sticks out like hearing your name in a noisy room. thank you edgy decaying organ thieving monsters, because of you i dont have to constantly worry i am constantly rotting irl

Macdoo
Jul 24, 2012

Bad Tabletop Opinions Haver
e: sorry missed the crunchy

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

Parkreiner posted:

I’d almost forgotten about this, but Legends of the Wulin (Fatal &Friends writeup) works exactly this way, no HP or alternative damage tracks at all, any and every source of damage, curses, emotional distress etc are modeled as Chi Conditions, which are most similar to Fate Aspects but have their own distinctions (most notably that they aren’t linked to a resource economy and can be created as either carrot or stick; i.e., “be bound by this condition and get a dice bonus” or “be bound by this condition or get a dice penalty”).

LOTW is streamlined from its previous edition Weapons of the Gods, but still several steps crunchier than something like Fate thanks to its interest in making lots of mechanically distinct martial arts. That said, I think 3.x and onwards D&D is extremely high crunch and that’s probably a lot of people’s baseline…

Every time I've tried to parse Legends of the Wulin, my brain has just refused to understand it. I'm not sure if it's down to the rules, the way the rules are presented or down to me, but I just cannot manage it.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

juggalo baby coffin posted:

people roast Shadow of the Demon Lord for being a very edgelordy game, but i am forever grateful to it because part of a supplement about edgy monsters led to me finding out i have a sensory processing disorder

i didnt realise that wasnt normal and its been a cause of a lot of hypochondria in my life bc if i feel a minor variation in breathing or digestion or my heart beating it sticks out like hearing your name in a noisy room. thank you edgy decaying organ thieving monsters, because of you i dont have to constantly worry i am constantly rotting irl
Oy maybe you're an edgy decaying organ thieving monster

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

These are also signs of hypertension + cholesterol build up.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

This is what happens to me during a bad trip which is why I don't touch the stuff anymore

Sometimes I feel this during the day and it sets off my anxiety

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
Also I am now extremely conscious of my own breathing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Splicer posted:

Oy maybe you're an edgy decaying organ thieving monster
While I am one of these, my own interior perceptibly issues have more to do with acid reflux.