Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fray
Oct 22, 2010

Lawman 0 posted:

Completely fair after this current mp game and a couple of choice cheevos I'll probably put it down for several months.
Edit: how the gently caress did I clock almost 150 hours in this jank rear end game

For real. I straight up uninstalled it today because it’s been eating too much of my time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

A Buttery Pastry posted:

What, like a vaccine?

Basically. They would have been at -13 approval if I tried to pass Council Republic, but passing Poor Laws first gave them a +5 approval boost, so they only dropped to a non-radical -8. This run is completely hosed now, it's already the 1910's and there's no new technological advancements coming my way to solve the budgetary issues. China is exhausting to play as, it takes half the game to get halfway efficient laws.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Basically. They would have been at -13 approval if I tried to pass Council Republic, but passing Poor Laws first gave them a +5 approval boost, so they only dropped to a non-radical -8. This run is completely hosed now, it's already the 1910's and there's no new technological advancements coming my way to solve the budgetary issues. China is exhausting to play as, it takes half the game to get halfway efficient laws.

I assume you're running the top tier of government admin that uses telephones, right? And working to get your tax rate up to 100% everywhere while using that production method? Are there expensive government goods you can drop the price on by building more factories? I assume you've also maxed out your taxes and are using what little authority you have left to run the most profitable consumption taxes.

I'm surprised you're having a problem with the budget - usually I end up with a massive amount of money from the absurd amount of industrialization you start doing around the midgame. Granted, I also usually break the infamy cap by around 1880 or so and start going hog wild with annexing everyone I can get my hands on, so it does depend on what your situation is. Doing that lets you get tons and tons of raw resources to process, which turns into more industry in your heartland, which turns into more money, which funds the military to acquire more raw resources, which ends only when the game bogs down into being unbearably slow.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

My point was that I feel they should be mad about Poor Laws too, not be fine with Council Republic because you started handing out welfare first.

The person who suggested that going Council Republic should cause an automatic civil war is right though. Like, any given class in your country should be looking at the position of their own class in neighboring countries, and the worse off they are compared to that baseline the more pissed off they should be. A capitalist in a Council Republic neighboring capitalist states should be calling on all their capitalist palls to overthrow the government - and those capitalist should be happy to do it because the council republic threatens to make their working class dissatisfied with their conditions.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Dirk the Average posted:

I assume you're running the top tier of government admin that uses telephones, right? And working to get your tax rate up to 100% everywhere while using that production method? Are there expensive government goods you can drop the price on by building more factories? I assume you've also maxed out your taxes and are using what little authority you have left to run the most profitable consumption taxes.

I'm surprised you're having a problem with the budget - usually I end up with a massive amount of money from the absurd amount of industrialization you start doing around the midgame. Granted, I also usually break the infamy cap by around 1880 or so and start going hog wild with annexing everyone I can get my hands on, so it does depend on what your situation is. Doing that lets you get tons and tons of raw resources to process, which turns into more industry in your heartland, which turns into more money, which funds the military to acquire more raw resources, which ends only when the game bogs down into being unbearably slow.

It's the first time this has happened, I've run level 3-4 welfare in 100M+ pop countries before without issue. Tax capacity wasn't an issue either, i was making money just fine when I was a Presidential Republic beforehand. I think it was a combination of education really starting to take off around the same time I liberalized, I wasn't really keeping track of unemployment and suddenly I had a huge population of unemployed pops I couldn't build fast enough to keep up with. I should have made my economy more fundamentally sound first.

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My point was that I feel they should be mad about Poor Laws too, not be fine with Council Republic because you started handing out welfare first.

The person who suggested that going Council Republic should cause an automatic civil war is right though. Like, any given class in your country should be looking at the position of their own class in neighboring countries, and the worse off they are compared to that baseline the more pissed off they should be. A capitalist in a Council Republic neighboring capitalist states should be calling on all their capitalist palls to overthrow the government - and those capitalist should be happy to do it because the council republic threatens to make their working class dissatisfied with their conditions.

Industrialists like Poor Laws (I think they represent workhouses or something, they should probably oppose any level of welfare, I agree). Also agree re: Council Republic being an instant civil war. (Though Industrialists had like 7% clout and the Landowners were already marginalized by this point. Petite Boug leader was radical or reformer or something, so they stood to the side).

DJ_Mindboggler fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Nov 23, 2022

trapped mouse
May 25, 2008

by Azathoth
Victoria 3: how the gently caress did I clock almost 150 hours in this jank rear end game

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I feel like the number of ships that should be able to engage another at any one time should be low enough that it would largely hold up anyway. Maybe not 100x, but wooden ships being able to theoretically swarm should be countered by also being weak enough that the iron clad would quickly cause their numerical advantage to dwindle, meaning that a battle that starts out 5-to-1 would average out to closer to a 5-to-2 battle.

The usual exponent used for Lanchester's laws is 1.5 I think, which would mean if ironclads had 10x the attack/defense as man of wars the man of wars would need about 21.5:1 numbers to win.

Radia
Jul 14, 2021

And someday, together.. We'll shine.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

They changed their mind because the micro otherwise would've been unbearable.

im not convinced. infra works similarly and it's good. do you have a link or something where they said that was the reason?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Industrialists like Poor Laws (I think they represent workhouses or something, they should probably oppose any level of welfare, I agree). Also agree re: Council Republic being an instant civil war. (Though Industrialists had like 7% clout and the Landowners were already marginalized by this point. Petite Boug leader was radical or reformer or something, so they stood to the side).

I think the Poor Laws are wanted by the Industrialists because it reduces the political power of people who receive welfare, which further entrenches the power of the wealthy.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

DJ_Mindboggler posted:

Would probably make sense to have them get extremely pissy as they get marginalized, even if no laws have been enacted that directly affect their bottom line yet. Like, take my suggestion about comparing to their neighbors but apply it to clout instead. The more you try to marginalize a group relative to their clout in your neighbors, the more pissy they should get, even if you're not passing laws that piss them off. And obviously they should be sensitive enough that they start responding before loosing their ability to do so.

As for Poor Laws, that seems like something they should oppose in their ideal world but also not be overly upset about, given that it's likely supposed to be a really lovely moralizing form of welfare at best. Less "Let's help these people" and more "Let's keep these people alive as a warning to any other work-shy scroungers!"

Staltran posted:

The usual exponent used for Lanchester's laws is 1.5 I think, which would mean if ironclads had 10x the attack/defense as man of wars the man of wars would need about 21.5:1 numbers to win.
Wouldn't both factors count? A 10x increase in attack would require roughly a 32:1 ratio for the opposing side to win, but so would a 10x increase in defense, according to that law. And multiplying those together would mean a 1000:1 ratio. Anyway, the exact number doesn't really matter as long as a new ship type can take on far greater numbers of ships - whether a 20:1 ratio or a 1000: ratio. Something that'd be easy to do without even considering these kinds of military theories.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009
I got bored of flooding Europe so I dried out the Aral Sea

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Waifu Radia posted:

im not convinced. infra works similarly and it's good. do you have a link or something where they said that was the reason?

Electricity is a good provided to buildings, not states, there are no production methods that take only locally sourced goods. It just wouldn't make sense to do that per state.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
It's basically impossible to have a profitable power plant so spreading them out reduces the throughput bonus and the amount of electricity produced. This ends up costing you much more money than concentrating your power plants in one state to make it as profitable as possible, that way you lose less money subsidizing the industry. Of course, you make up the difference with the increases in productivity for all of your other buildings, but electricity itself is a net loss at basically every point in the game.

AG3
Feb 4, 2004

Ask me about spending hundreds of dollars on Mass Effect 2 emoticons and Avatars.

Oven Wrangler
A lot of things are nearly impossible to have profitable, probably in part because of the function where any business that is at least 20% profitable will gradually raise worker wages until profitability drops to 20% or lower, even if there's no shortage of labor. Even if you tweak things to increase output or reduce input goods costs, the game will just eat up whatever gains you got by increasing wages, and once costs (and temporary throughput bonuses) return to normal, the business will probably run at a deficit and start firing people.

Oil generally seems profitable enough to not suffer from this problem in my games, but a lot of things like services, electricity and weapons/ammo struggle to be profitable unless there's a spike in demand. Of course, for electricity this is bad since that will often make electricity-consuming businesses unprofitable.

AG3 fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Nov 23, 2022

Ithle01
May 28, 2013
I'm pretty sure electricity is unprofitable by design, same for small arms and ammunition unless you are in a war or are exporting to countries in wars. Which is fine, but just don't be spreading out these industries across states because you end up costing more money in the long term.

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

AG3 posted:

Oil generally seems profitable enough to not suffer from this problem in my games, but a lot of things like services, electricity and weapons/ammo struggle to be profitable unless there's a spike in demand. Of course, for electricity this is bad since that will often make electricity-consuming businesses unprofitable.
Services are weird because their supply basically scales with urbanization, so they are profitable early on, and then collapse in value as you get more and more urban centers.

pdxjohan
Sep 9, 2011

Paradox dev dude.

Lawman 0 posted:

They 100% did not play after 1870 in their playtests.
Edit: same studio that also literally handwaved naval warfare in crusader kings.

PDS is not a single studio anymore, its seven different entities with different setup and skills. Whatever designs done with ck3 when it comes to naval aspects is not very likely to have influenced or affected V3.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

pdxjohan posted:

PDS is not a single studio anymore, its seven different entities with different setup and skills. Whatever designs done with ck3 when it comes to naval aspects is not very likely to have influenced or affected V3.

Johan add direct foreign investment and loans to the game so I can do proper imperialism.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

A Buttery Pastry posted:

As for Poor Laws, that seems like something they should oppose in their ideal world but also not be overly upset about, given that it's likely supposed to be a really lovely moralizing form of welfare at best. Less "Let's help these people" and more "Let's keep these people alive as a warning to any other work-shy scroungers!"

they like the poor laws because you are housing and feeding people at your expense and then loaning them out to the capitalists to work (on lovely sub-actual-simulated-job tasks) for free. that's what the poor laws were. the pops lose political power because you've literally criminalized poverty

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I’ve had no problem with keeping power plants profitable, the opposite really.

Services, on the other hand. I really want to have electric lights and malls in all my cities but even if I set them in just the capital anything above the bare minimum just totally craters them.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
Oh no question for power, it's having enough supply for me, a burgeoning imperial empire, AND the lazy client states that are part of my market that think power grows on trees or something.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Jazerus posted:

they like the poor laws because you are housing and feeding people at your expense and then loaning them out to the capitalists to work (on lovely sub-actual-simulated-job tasks) for free. that's what the poor laws were. the pops lose political power because you've literally criminalized poverty
My understanding of poor laws in the UK in this period is that they were a reform to the already existing poor laws, which were designed to do exactly what you mention here. Of course the capitalists would be happy about such a reform, since it's all upsides from their perspective. I am not sure capitalists in a country which did not already have poor laws to reform in such a way would be as enthusiastic.

Kurgarra Queen
Jun 11, 2008

GIVE ME MORE
SUPER BOWL
WINS

A Buttery Pastry posted:

My understanding of poor laws in the UK in this period is that they were a reform to the already existing poor laws, which were designed to do exactly what you mention here. Of course the capitalists would be happy about such a reform, since it's all upsides from their perspective. I am not sure capitalists in a country which did not already have poor laws to reform in such a way would be as enthusiastic.
Yeah, basically, by institutionalizing the poor and giving them barely enough scraps to stay alive, you're removing pressure from capitalists to pay anything like a living wage.

I'm in a class on the History of Public Social Policy right now (though it's mostly US-focused, it drew its inspiration from English Poor Laws for obvious reasons). Poor houses were awful, squalid places and in the US they would take their children, because they literally thought poverty was sort of genetic! Social Darwinism! :hitler:

TwoQuestions
Aug 26, 2011

Cease to Hope posted:

both electricity and transportation are shared throughout your whole market, including every state in every country in your customs union as long as that state has market access

Waitaminute, so a bunch of railroads in New Jersey can provide Transportation to farms in Texas? That's completely bonkers, I thought I had to build a Railroad in every single State to get Transportation available everywhere!

Does the same thing work for Universities giving Qualifications/Literacy?

Is there anything other than Infrastructure that needs to be local to a State?

Barono
May 6, 2007

Rich in irony and most satirical
I think the approximate price change for multi-use goods like services isn't well reflected, it just looks at buy/sell orders. If you build a bunch of cheap services people will use those instead of railroad transportation for that need, which will then lower the price of transportation alongside services.

Actually speaking of different goods, are things like luxury drinks totally interchangeable, or will pops be happier if they have access to tea in addition to coffee? (Barring things like obsession/taboo)

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
tax efficiency and population are needed to be in state also

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

Koramei posted:

Services, on the other hand. I really want to have electric lights and malls in all my cities but even if I set them in just the capital anything above the bare minimum just totally craters them.

This is as much speculative based on the devs' likely assumptions as it is supported by data, but I thought that was the point.
"Services" is a category that transformed radically in the era the game covers, with an 1836 Service-producer quite possibly being a chef in a castle and a 1936 Service-provider probably being a cook at White Castle; they aren't consumed until 10 SoL, but above 10 SoL are fungible across an entire category of needs. And the needs they substitute for some at times extremely awkward things to provide; Transportation is fine given that it scales around linearly with Infrastructure, Telephones aren't terrible because you can always kickstart and backstop that industry with government purchases, but Automobiles are otherwise only used in a late-but-not-endgame military PM that gets obsoleted, and Fine Art is solely the domain of the horrifically rich. (And now I'm tempted to mod in a Public Transport PM that demands it, Moscow's metro style.)
On the other hand, the scaling is eye-watering; 10 services substitute for 1 Transportation, Automobile, or Telephone, and 20 substitute for 1 Fine Art.

So I think the idea is eventually to crater (whether supported by welfare and eating the externalities yourself, colonialism and maintaining a high SoL in the core, or even more effectively economic colonialism and putting the sweatshops on someone else's SoL ledger) the inputs for service workers so that their own SoL remains somewhat passable even on low wages, and then in turn crater the price of services to drive wild SoL expansion among the upper crust without having to have to hurt the profits of high-tech industry or maintain swingy highbrow cultural production.
Basically the modern American model.

Barono posted:

I think the approximate price change for multi-use goods like services isn't well reflected, it just looks at buy/sell orders. If you build a bunch of cheap services people will use those instead of railroad transportation for that need, which will then lower the price of transportation alongside services.

Actually speaking of different goods, are things like luxury drinks totally interchangeable, or will pops be happier if they have access to tea in addition to coffee? (Barring things like obsession/taboo)

By default, you can only provide 80% of a subcategory with any one good.
Exceptions are:
Meat and fruit can only provide 40% each of basic food.
All luxury foods can only provide 40% each of luxury food.
Clothes can provide 100% of standard clothing demand between 10 and 50 SoL, while clothes and fabric both cap at 80% of the 0-15 simple clothing demand. (Above 50 the emperor truly wears no clothes.)
For the 10-60 demand for household goods, glass can only provide 40%, and glass+paper can together only provide 95%, the last 5% must be furniture.
From 15-cap for luxury items, luxury clothes, luxury furniture, and porcelain each must compose at least 5% of the basket, and all three plus radios can only compose 40% each.
Heating caps at 60% for all goods except electricity, which can fill the basket alone.
Both intoxicants and luxury drinks also cap at 60% per item; you need tea and coffee, coffee and wine, or tea and wine, but coffee tea and wine all together only helps cut the price of each.

Mandoric fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Nov 23, 2022

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

TwoQuestions posted:

Waitaminute, so a bunch of railroads in New Jersey can provide Transportation to farms in Texas? That's completely bonkers, I thought I had to build a Railroad in every single State to get Transportation available everywhere!

Does the same thing work for Universities giving Qualifications/Literacy?

Is there anything other than Infrastructure that needs to be local to a State?

Any building that generates goods puts those goods on the market. A select few goods, like Services, Transportation, and Electricity, cannot be exported or imported.

Infrastructure generated by railroads/ports is local to the state, but the Transportation from railroads and Convoys from ports are global.

Government buildings give Bureaucracy to the empire, but Tax Efficiency to the local state and will need to be sprinkled around as needed.

Universities give Innovation to the empire, but their Qualifications and Throughput bonuses are local to the state (I think them giving literacy is a mod, but that too is local to the state if that is the case).

Incidentally, spamming a ton of universities in your largest provinces as China is incredibly strong, and ideally something you want to do once you can afford them. If those are the areas where your industry is located, you get a lot of bonus throughput, can staff buildings more effectively, and your tech rate skyrockets because you're able to leech stuff from other nations much faster.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

every time I switch to a rail pm through the buildings menu it says the prices will change in specific states, I thought that meant rail transit was regional

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Agean90 posted:

every time I switch to a rail pm through the buildings menu it says the prices will change in specific states, I thought that meant rail transit was regional

That's how much each state's rail buildings will make. Transport is a good so it serves anything in your market. A railway in New York can provide transportation used by a farm in Hawaii.

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

Barono posted:

All the interchangeable consumer goods seem to have some baseline consumption patterns, but it's unclear. Generally the share of consumption decreases with cost though.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

:thunk:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE
So, convoys. Anything else I can do to produce more after I’ve maxed out my port levels, or am I just stuck?

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

ulmont posted:

So, convoys. Anything else I can do to produce more after I’ve maxed out my port levels, or am I just stuck?

Is the port production level maxed out and no tech incoming to boost the max level?

Do some imperialism and get yourself more ports (it's pretty silly that some tiny Island can support exactly as much port as London....)

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Koramei posted:

Are you using oil turbines? I've had power plants that are somewhat self-sustaining if I can get them on oil, but that creates a whole lot of other problems with my economy so I prefer to stay on coal power plants. I try to keep electricity cheap so that my other industries that it powers can be more profitable, but it is a pain in the rear end to have to build so many power plants.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
V3 has a lot of problems but I really love how I can do diplomatic plays and potentially get a province for free without a war instead of like in HOI4 where taking a treaty port means the US, France, UK and her puppets, Brazil and fascist Tibet all declare war on me and won’t concede until I knock each one out.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OddObserver posted:

Is the port production level maxed out and no tech incoming to boost the max level?

Do some imperialism and get yourself more ports (it's pretty silly that some tiny Island can support exactly as much port as London....)

Yes. Ok, on to imperialism. I need more oil anyway…

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003

buglord posted:

V3 has a lot of problems but I really love how I can do diplomatic plays and potentially get a province for free without a war instead of like in HOI4 where taking a treaty port means the US, France, UK and her puppets, Brazil and fascist Tibet all declare war on me and won’t concede until I knock each one out.

I feel like it's probably something that needs to transition in-game as a result of tech and degree of GP involvement--as it stands it's also impossible to accomplish what got done at Versailles in ten wars worth of demands, never mind one, and the French and Germans will at most trade Alsace every few years even if they loathe each other and even if their few-month spates of industrialized war before the overagressive forced-capitulation timer rings kill the same millions.

The French and UK AI having a solid few years at the end of abandoning Bohemia in an annexation play &c. because Total War was also on the table as a pseudodemand would also help simulate the runup to WW2 that can bleed into the extreme lategame.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

HerpicleOmnicron5 posted:

Yes and no, the exact way they joined is impossible but you can kinda kludge it in through the Violate Sovereignty action. I think they need to add a late game tech that would allow for ongoing escalation during a war.

why was this not in at launch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

It seems like there should be society and military techs that extend mechanics.
Did paradox ever make peace conferences in hoi4 not suck rear end?
Edit: ^ because the game was underbaked.