Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

I. M. Gei posted:

Regarding the "document everything" part, how do I record phone calls on an iPhone? Is there an app I should use, or is there some other way to do it?**

So far I've only been told about this new policy by my boss over the phone. I haven't gotten an email about it or anything. I do phone meetings with my boss regularly throughout the week and I'm supposed to do my next one tomorrow morning, so it'd be good if I can get him to say something about this on tape then.

** Yes, I've tried googling this before. No, it didn't help me. That's why I'm asking here.

Regardless of how the legal poo poo shakes out you should be looking for a new job yesterday.

This isn’t a red flag. This isn’t a Chinese military parade of red flags. This is the metaphysical avatar of red flags waterboarding you with a red flag.

The water is not water but tiny red flags.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

I. M. Gei posted:

Regarding the "document everything" part, how do I record phone calls on an iPhone? Is there an app I should use, or is there some other way to do it?**

So far I've only been told about this new policy by my boss over the phone. I haven't gotten an email about it or anything. I do phone meetings with my boss regularly throughout the week and I'm supposed to do my next one tomorrow morning, so it'd be good if I can get him to say something about this on tape then.

** Yes, I've tried googling this before. No, it didn't help me. That's why I'm asking here.

You can put him on speaker and then use an old-tyme cassette recorder... Or record with a second device like your PC or tablet or something. Make drat sure you are in a one-party consent state before you do this. He'll probably try to counter sue for wiretapping otherwise.

Or have him put it in writing in an email like you should do away. Then you'll have his balls in a noose.

:proof:

Slayerjerman fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Nov 23, 2022

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Texas is a one-party consent state, so I'm good there.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Barudak posted:

I have documents in MM/DD and DD/MM format at work, with no rhyme or reason in Japan. My server is a nightmare of deducing when something was made or a project is due.

Good thing you're not allowed to sell anything!

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

I. M. Gei posted:

Is it a company phone? If not immediately hang up unless it's a recruiter*. If so, email the relevant person that's impossible and it's not your problem going forward.

*Also don't use your work phone for job applications ya dummy

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

I. M. Gei posted:

There are a few apps for iOS that could help you but because of the privacy implications, they're difficult to recommend. They work by creating a 3 way call with a third party which records the call. This is terrible and I can't recommend it unless it's literally your only option, you have no idea what will happen to that recording. Recording the phone call with a tape recorder or laptop, second phone, etc. would be a better choice.

Ashye
Jul 29, 2013

Volmarias posted:

From a few days ago, but everyone at my company who is full time has to take anti bribery training. It is very important that we know that if we're inviting the king of Turduckova for a meeting, we must use the team that handles these kinds of issues, to deal with bribing him paying first class for his airfare or whatever. We also should not have it at a strip club, and we definitely should not pay for him to get infinity lap dances. Naturally, as a non customer facing engineer, this is very important for me, and has nothing to do with just being a cheap liability shield to hide behind.

The amount of classes and trainings I take on things outside my job scope is staggering. No I do not interact with customers, so no I doubt I'll need to keep an eye out for fraud warnings. I do no sales or talk to anyone not in my department so no I don't need training on anti-bribery and gift policies. How to manage risk? Just shut the gently caress up about any internal job matters! Wish I could remember any of the things I get tested on but they slide right outta my brain about 1 minute after I finish the class.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
Back when I did minesite consulting we had three days of onsite inductions for a six day job on three sites within a a few hours drive of eachother, all owned by the same company. A full day for each site, and about 50% of each day was focused on lock out tagging. All of it could be simplified with 'Do not ever, never ever ever, even think about touching any machinery or area with a lockout tag. Immediately call a supervisor if you encounter a lockout tag'. That's it, that's all anyone ever needs to know. And we were working out in the bush far away from any operations areas. Just a colossal waste of time.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

You got paid for it though, right?

emSparkly
Nov 21, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 39 hours!
The company I work for lets the SSL cert on their homepage expire every drat year. We're an ISP for gently caress's sake. I have to answer the phone and explain to crusty old fuckers on how to get around the Chrome warning page.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Agents are GO! posted:

Good thing you're not allowed to sell anything!

Unironically I had a meeting with my boss yesterday to discuss how we can spend all of our budget for the year but sell 0 more things

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Barudak posted:

Unironically I had a meeting with my boss yesterday to discuss how we can spend all of our budget for the year but sell 0 more things

Just don't spend it on beer balls (lol). That poo poo'll give you a loving dirty hangover.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Escape From Noise posted:

Just don't spend it on beer balls (lol). That poo poo'll give you a loving dirty hangover.

They're a Japanese Company, hangovers are already on the budget.

Escape From Noise
Jul 27, 2004

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

They're a Japanese Company, hangovers are already on the budget.

I get that but I just drank one and wasn't that drunk and the next day I was loving dying. Probably a bunch of fusel alcohol. I have drunk far more and felt better than I did after one of those. Just the worst poo poo.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

I. M. Gei posted:

Would you be able to use a Google voice number to route it through your computer and record it that way? Otherwise if you're crunched for time yeah try speakerphone and some other kind of recording device?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I. M. Gei posted:

Well now I have a whole new brand of idiot poo poo to deal with at work.

Apparently my company's owner has been unhappy with the number of service orders and estimates being submitted by his salespeople (like me) each day, and so effective immediately, he has decided that those of us who don't submit at least 4 of these things per day won't get paid at all for that week of work.

Note that when I took this job I was told by the company that I'd be making a certain base salary with weekly pay. If my understanding of this new policy is correct, then I basically won't get paid the salary I was promised any time I fail to meet that minimum daily quota.

This smells a few different kinds of illegal and seems like it'll lead to a whole shitload of salespeople doing all kinds of dubious poo poo like submitting bogus estimates for people that don't exist, but I'm not a big smart brain genius company owner so what do I know?

Good news. (IANAL this is not legal advice)

Under federal law (the Fair Labor Standards Act) you must pay people minimum wage for each week. FLSA lawsuits are very common in Texas and plaintiffs lawyers will meet with you for free and rep you on contingency because FLSA lawsuits in practice nearly guarantee them attorneys fees paid for by the defendant.

Additionally the FLSA requires 1.5x your hourly rate in overtime for all hours worked each week over 40 unless you meet one of the specific exemptions in the FLSA. Just because you are salaried doesn’t mean you are exempt. The law decides, not the company. Many companies make workers who are entitled to overtime salaried inappropriately then are on the hook for unpaid overtime.

Finally the FLSA provides for protection due to retaliation. This can be a bit more nuanced but generally if you’re terminated for raising wage and hour issues that is retaliation. Many other situations can be as well.

The FLSA provides for double damages. I believe the FLSA is only for actual damages, so your boss speculating about not paying you is not the same as them actually not paying you.

If you want some help researching wage and hour plaintiffs attorneys in your area PM me. You can also search Avvo or check out CourtListeners RECAP archive for cases that have been filed in your area under Nature of Suit 710.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

Johnny Truant posted:

Would you be able to use a Google voice number to route it through your computer and record it that way? Otherwise if you're crunched for time yeah try speakerphone and some other kind of recording device?

You could three way call a google number running on your PC and capture the audio that way, bypassing privacy issues, I think.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Ashye posted:

The amount of classes and trainings I take on things outside my job scope is staggering. No I do not interact with customers, so no I doubt I'll need to keep an eye out for fraud warnings. I do no sales or talk to anyone not in my department so no I don't need training on anti-bribery and gift policies. How to manage risk? Just shut the gently caress up about any internal job matters! Wish I could remember any of the things I get tested on but they slide right outta my brain about 1 minute after I finish the class.

Oh man that stuff is humiliating, hey VP leading meeting, the team you insist on micromanaging has nothing to do with retail operations so stop trying to shame them for how improper shopping cart inspections during checkout are on the rise because you’re bored and began reading other team’s PowerPoint presentations.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

McGavin posted:

You got paid for it though, right?

Yeah it was a non-garbage country and the mining industry had money pouring out of every orifice.

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017

I. M. Gei posted:

Well now I have a whole new brand of idiot poo poo to deal with at work.

Apparently my company's owner has been unhappy with the number of service orders and estimates being submitted by his salespeople (like me) each day, and so effective immediately, he has decided that those of us who don't submit at least 4 of these things per day won't get paid at all for that week of work.

Note that when I took this job I was told by the company that I'd be making a certain base salary with weekly pay. If my understanding of this new policy is correct, then I basically won't get paid the salary I was promised any time I fail to meet that minimum daily quota.

This smells a few different kinds of illegal and seems like it'll lead to a whole shitload of salespeople doing all kinds of dubious poo poo like submitting bogus estimates for people that don't exist, but I'm not a big smart brain genius company owner so what do I know?

sounds like dude hired too many salespeople for his tree service empire. are you selling trimming packages or tree sprays? if you get a call to prune a tree away from a roof, are you pushing for a complete pruning of the tree in question beyond maintenance? are you using a sales platform to inventory trees on the client's property?

sorry to push for details. im genuinely curious here. in my neck of the woods the quality larger tree services tend to have a dedicated office person, 1-2 "sales" guys who are old-timers, and then 1-3 foremen who can all quote work. and that covers tens of millions of dollars of business, by my guess.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

CarForumPoster posted:

If you want some help researching wage and hour plaintiffs attorneys in your area PM me.

Thanks! I'll shoot you one in a bit.

Johnny Truant posted:

I just got a clear recording using speakerphone and the Voice Memos app on my iPad.

Does it need anything like my boss saying his full name and the company name on it?

I. M. Gei fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Nov 23, 2022

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Pls do not have goons do your for real lawyering. Get and pay a professional

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

I. M. Gei posted:

Thanks! I'll shoot you one in a bit.

I just got a clear recording using speakerphone and the Voice Memos app on my iPad.

Does it need anything like my boss saying his full name and the company name on it?

If you could film making the call, etc. and capture audio that way, that would probably make it more legitimate but I don't know if that would make it legitimate enough, not a lawyer and all that.

edit:

TotalLossBrain posted:

This, get a real lawyer.

Artonos
Dec 3, 2018
The thing that will actually make it legitimate isn't a call. It'll be you not getting paid when you don't meet these new terms.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

TotalLossBrain posted:

Got it.

One thing I want to note is that per my recorded conversation with my boss, it sounds like I was mistaken about getting denied a full week's pay for not hitting quota one day. Apparently the policy is to send the salesperson home and not pay them for either that one day or the following day. Either way it's not the guaranteed minimum pay I was told I'd be making when I signed on.

Samuel L. Hacksaw
Mar 26, 2007

Never Stop Posting

Samuel L. Hacksaw posted:

New job working on government hardware redesign contracts and I can't find a resource loaded schedule at all.

Nobody knows what we need to plan for in the out years, and the prior project mgr was spoken so highly of. Oh well, I get to spend the rest of November loading a 3000 line project schedule with resources.

Luckily the basis of estimation (from 2018) IS resource loaded, so I can bring that over to make things quicker.

So, I just did this and we have about 30k hours of work ahead of us and I get to slip out our schedule for full delivery by 4 months.

We had 25 person-months of work needing to be done in March to hold the old schedule, the new one maxes out at 6.

The previous PM for this project is highly lauded and left me a huge turd, now she works for our customer and I understand why she had a quaver in her voice whenever she talked about this project, she was lying.

Lol, lmao.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Oh man that stuff is humiliating, hey VP leading meeting, the team you insist on micromanaging has nothing to do with retail operations so stop trying to shame them for how improper shopping cart inspections during checkout are on the rise because you’re bored and began reading other team’s PowerPoint presentations.

I don't see it as humiliating but when I'm asked to do those trainings or meetings, I definitely ask how it has anything to do with my particular job/role. Similar to when I worked a corporate IT job a little more than a decade ago, when people would see me walking around or come to my desk to tell me the vending machine was broken or some other dumb poo poo that had zero to do with my job. There's a tag on the machine & we have a facilities group for that, learn to loving read. Sometimes I wonder how these people managed to survive without someone/something telling them how to breathe 24/7.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Don't close. Don't close.

Nap Ghost
Email from IT for infosec training looks exactly like a phishing scam

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I don't see it as humiliating but when I'm asked to do those trainings or meetings, I definitely ask how it has anything to do with my particular job/role. Similar to when I worked a corporate IT job a little more than a decade ago, when people would see me walking around or come to my desk to tell me the vending machine was broken or some other dumb poo poo that had zero to do with my job. There's a tag on the machine & we have a facilities group for that, learn to loving read. Sometimes I wonder how these people managed to survive without someone/something telling them how to breathe 24/7.

I work in the vending industry. People will not read the actual sticker. They will search everywhere and then find our mark on the back, look up our number, and call us for a refund. If we’re lucky, they’ll understand we just made the machine, and have no idea who is operating it. Sometimes we’re not lucky :(

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

I. M. Gei posted:

I should probably also mention I'm in Texas, in case that matters.

If this is the US then I am 99% sure that this is incredibly illegal. You still came to work and did your work, so you should get paid even if the outcome of that work is not what the boss hoped.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost
Someone comes to me asking for help on some equipment that's not working. Gotta get this working so that it can run over the long holiday weekend. Alright so why isn't this turning on? Break out the multimeter, start checking voltages, continuity, narrowing down where we're not getting a connection. Find a connector where I can't get anything, take the connector apart, see there's a bare wire and no terminal.
"Yeah I couldn't get that one to fit so I left it off."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Lol that's great

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Did they then try to argue after you told them how to fix it?

Last year, we killed the personal network drives for users, telling them to use One Drive or the various network shares set up for various teams. We still get tickets now and then from users complaining that they can't get to their personal drive

Each time a ticket like that comes in, whoever gets it will likely blow half the day arguing about when the drives were killed, how many emails were sent out, how to set up OneDrive, what OneDrive even is, why it's a bad idea to have so many icons on your desktop that they start overlapping one another, etc.

Salami Surgeon
Jan 21, 2001

Nap Ghost

Cthulu Carl posted:

Did they then try to argue after you told them how to fix it?

Fortunately no. Unfortunately my primer on wiring and crimping seems to have missed the mark.

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Cthulu Carl posted:

why it's a bad idea to have so many icons on your desktop that they start overlapping one another, etc.

Wait, what

Does that actually happen?

CarForumPoster
Jun 26, 2013

⚡POWER⚡

I. M. Gei posted:

Got it.

One thing I want to note is that per my recorded conversation with my boss, it sounds like I was mistaken about getting denied a full week's pay for not hitting quota one day. Apparently the policy is to send the salesperson home and not pay them for either that one day or the following day. Either way it's not the guaranteed minimum pay I was told I'd be making when I signed on.

Responded to your PM with a list of firms. Write down the specifics of what this is. Again IANAL, the actual lawyer can advise you on what is important to note. I struggle to understand a salary position where you don't pay people for certain days and also the number of hours worked per week fluctuates but is seemingly the inverse of the FLSA approved pay scheme of "fluctuating work week" but also doesn't pay overtime? Point is, a local lawyer who knows wage and hour issues well can talk you through this.

TotalLossBrain posted:

The first part of this yes. Most wage and hour attorneys in the US will do a free consult then rep you on contingency for the reasons I mentioned.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Cthulu Carl posted:

icons on your desktop

I turned off desktop icons the other day, life is good

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Johnny Truant posted:

Wait, what

Does that actually happen?

I've seen it at least twice. It's possible that both times were users who normally use monitors and the times I remoted in they were just using the laptop screen, but still. Use loving folders, Jesus GOD.

EDIT: Also when it happens, the icons start stacking in the top left, the default location of the Recycle Bin.

Actually, now that I think about it, that was the first time I saw it. The user put in a ticket because their Recycle Bin was missing. :psyduck:

Machai
Feb 21, 2013

Cthulu Carl posted:

Actually, now that I think about it, that was the first time I saw it. The user put in a ticket because their Recycle Bin was missing. :psyduck:

How did they notice, they clearly don't ever use it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Machai posted:

How did they notice, they clearly don't ever use it

LOL, I think their C: drive was full and they were finally trying to clear space.