Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've been content with the Zugu case. It is rubbery feeling which I'm not a huge fan of and is a little too bulky, but it securely holds my pencil and protects well when I'm doing my camping trips.

The stand is very stable, either propped up in bed or when I'm jamming on it with the pencil. My only complaint with it in bed is it needs one more notch to be at a good angle when I've got my knees up. Kind of a silly complaint though, it still works fine it's just not the ~*perfect angle*~.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

xzzy posted:

I've been content with the Zugu case. It is rubbery feeling which I'm not a huge fan of and is a little too bulky, but it securely holds my pencil and protects well when I'm doing my camping trips.

The stand is very stable, either propped up in bed or when I'm jamming on it with the pencil. My only complaint with it in bed is it needs one more notch to be at a good angle when I've got my knees up. Kind of a silly complaint though, it still works fine it's just not the ~*perfect angle*~.

I like my zugu as well but I mostly read stuff in portrait mode and there's no stand for that angle and the back flap doesn't stick to the back when it's open. Not the end of the world, but a little irritating.

the_lion
Jun 8, 2010

On the hunt for prey... :D
I'm an artist and just bought an iPad pro 11 and pencil. Is there a good screen protector anyone recommends? Lot of people talk about making it more like drawing on paper with protectors which is interesting.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

the_lion posted:

I'm an artist and just bought an iPad pro 11 and pencil. Is there a good screen protector anyone recommends? Lot of people talk about making it more like drawing on paper with protectors which is interesting.

https://www.amazon.com/Paperfeel-pr...r+screen&sr=8-3

No need to get the expensive ones

grandma why
Sep 24, 2010

terrible
if they bring macos to the pads it better support all the m series pads or I will scream and cry because I am a baby

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011
Affinity Publisher for iPad is finally out. You can buy it separately or buy a universal license to all three apps’ new versions on all platforms on Serif’s website.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Arivia posted:

Affinity Publisher for iPad is finally out. You can buy it separately or buy a universal license to all three apps’ new versions on all platforms on Serif’s website.

The universal license seems like a pretty fantastic deal tbh

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I literally just got this one last night

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0875ZD59J?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

It makes a world of difference with the pen. I mostly use mine for contract signing and note taking, but it has changed my opinion on note taking from "I guess I'll use the ipad" to "I want to take notes on the ipad". Gamechanger

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

One question, does anyone find that the paperlike screen protectors burn the tip of the pencil down faster? That extra resistance has to come from somewhere

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

One question, does anyone find that the paperlike screen protectors burn the tip of the pencil down faster? That extra resistance has to come from somewhere

AFAIK yeah that happens

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
There’s gotta be some kind of thin iPad case that has a collapsible stand or kickstand thing right? I feel like all these iPad cases on Amazon are just copies of the folio.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

buglord posted:

There’s gotta be some kind of thin iPad case that has a collapsible stand or kickstand thing right? I feel like all these iPad cases on Amazon are just copies of the folio.

https://www.moft.us/products/ipad-folio?variant=39996687614039

I'm really keen to get one of these, but it's a little pricey so I'm waiting till it goes on sale.

CaptainCaveman
Apr 16, 2005

Always searching for North.

buglord posted:

Try searching for an iPad Origami case. Somebody recommended that in this thread a while ago and that helped find one with a built-in stand I liked.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
How do i stop my iPad from taking a screenshot every time i accidentally swipe up too close to the bottom left?

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller

Mister Facetious posted:

How do i stop my iPad from taking a screenshot every time i accidentally swipe up too close to the bottom left?

Settings > Notes

because I guess Apple pairs it with Quick Note at the bottom right

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Thanks

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Does anyone use the trackpad/mouse with their ipad? I feel like the side gestures make it far too sensitive to do things. Maybe i have to train my cursor to stay in the center area of the screen and not slam it against corners? I see what they’re trying to do, its just tedious.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

buglord posted:

Does anyone use the trackpad/mouse with their ipad? I feel like the side gestures make it far too sensitive to do things. Maybe i have to train my cursor to stay in the center area of the screen and not slam it against corners? I see what they’re trying to do, its just tedious.

I use the keyboard / trackpad case and it seems fine tbh. The gestures work as I'd expect them to as well.

I haven't used a stand alone mouse with it though.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

buglord posted:

I use the magic trackpad 2 with my iPad. I really dislike that it uses accelerating movement instead of a constant speed for the sensitivity; it makes dialing in the right setting for ita pain. Other than that, it was really easy and intuitive to figure out the finger gestures for it.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
Embarrassing question:

I have this metal stand next to my bed that I rest my iPad on to charge. It’s the right kind of metal that causes my iPad to stick to it magnetically. Is this sort of magnetic pull harmful to the iPad or its storage at all? I’ve been putting it in its sleeve each night to provide distance between that and the metal stand as it charges.

I faintly remember HDDs potentially having a problem with them (even though this is flash storage) and magnets on a CRT TV (even though this is not a CRT display) causing funniness.

E: yes im aware that there already magnets in it for the Smart Folio and the pencil, just put my mind at ease please :(

buglord fucked around with this message at 23:18 on Nov 21, 2022

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

There's nothing in an iPad that's going to be hurt by magnets, no.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Who does black friday sales with iPads? Years ago I know I got an Air 2 from Best Buy on black friday that was a good price. I want to pick up the new 12.9

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

I keep hearing about some Zugu case for the iPad mini that's supposed to be pretty good. It's $50 though, anyone know if it's good or if I should look for something else? I'm looking for good protection and a decent stand with a not very annoying pencil holder.

The official Apple one offers zero protection and I've dropped it twice now.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Hughlander posted:

Who does black friday sales with iPads? Years ago I know I got an Air 2 from Best Buy on black friday that was a good price. I want to pick up the new 12.9

Have a Costco membership? They seem to be having some great prices

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Hughlander posted:

Costco has the 12.9 for $750 right now if you’re a member. $800 at Best Buy as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Nov 24, 2022

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

As a lifelong Windows user and a previously Android-exclusive handheld user, what should I do first with my new iPad Pro, and what settings should I change for minimum frustration?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

disaster pastor posted:

As a lifelong Windows user and a previously Android-exclusive handheld user, what should I do first with my new iPad Pro, and what settings should I change for minimum frustration?

Download the awful app

Honestly I don’t think there are any changes you need to make.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist
I feel like there's a bunch of gestures you should learn, stuff like understanding how to back out of a frozen app, things like that.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MarcusSA posted:

Download the awful app

Honestly I don’t think there are any changes you need to make.

Posting from it now, in fact!

A Strange Aeon posted:

I feel like there's a bunch of gestures you should learn, stuff like understanding how to back out of a frozen app, things like that.

Is there a better source for these than loving around and finding out?

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

disaster pastor posted:

The Tips app goes through most of them I think.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

disaster pastor posted:

Posting from it now, in fact!

There are iPhone/iPad manuals on the Apple Books app that not a lot of people know about. They're free, pretty extensive, and they keep them reasonably up-to-date.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

The Tips app that is preinstalled is actually very well done and has a ton of useful info.

Apple does a very good job on new user documentation as well

https://support.apple.com/guide/ipad/welcome/ipados

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

disaster pastor posted:

Install Hush and Adguard.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Buglord
I use my iPad at my desk a lot as a secondary YouTube player when playing videogames. Would I be wearing the battery down less if I have it plugged in? Logically that seems to make sense... but if the battery is going to wear the same anyway, I wont bother getting an extra USB-C cable for it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

buglord posted:

I use my iPad at my desk a lot as a secondary YouTube player when playing videogames. Would I be wearing the battery down less if I have it plugged in? Logically that seems to make sense... but if the battery is going to wear the same anyway, I wont bother getting an extra USB-C cable for it.

No you can't wear it down. Devices are smart enough to know when to charge, when to run something straight off the power brick, and when not to charge.

The secret to janitoring your battery is to not janitor your battery.

Your battery is going to wear out and lose its original max capacity/charge. There's not a loving thing you can do about it.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

After 8 years with my iPad Air 2, I finally pulled the trigger on an M1 Air.

Can’t believe I got nearly a decade of excellent service out of this thing in the age of planned obsolescence. An all-time great device.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Tacier posted:

After 8 years with my iPad Air 2, I finally pulled the trigger on an M1 Air.

Can’t believe I got nearly a decade of excellent service out of this thing in the age of planned obsolescence. An all-time great device.

Can’t say the same about Nexus 10. It worked like 2-3 years before it was trash. Turned me away from tablets for many years.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
Air 2 has been the best device I've ever bought. And the most numerous, since I've bought like 5 of them now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I only upgraded my Air2 a few years ago, it was unbelievably good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

Tacier posted:

This but my 2012 Mac Mini.