Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Ardennes posted:

It is hard to not see such expansive measures backfiring if at a certain point everyone is on the chopping block including probably loyalists.

I mean, there's been for months a chat bot where you can report 'collaborateurs' (one example the company said was exemplary: having a kid with a Russian)

quote:

In the application "Diya" as an advertisement for the chat bot "Evorog", the administrators posted a screenshot of one of these messages about "enemies".

"Pregnant from a Rashist. Her mother cooks food for the Russians. She considers herself almost the first lady of the village," said the message, which the Diya administration considered exemplary.

The following are examples of specific complaints.

The guilt of another Ukrainian woman is as follows: "Encourages employees and clients to support the 'Russian world' and says that she would meet the occupiers with flowers."

"Diya" adds on her own behalf that such people "right now" should be "delivered a preemptive strike."

Although the reliability of such a denunciation raises big questions, it is hard to imagine that in the current situation in the territory controlled by Ukraine, someone would openly "encourage employees and clients" (that is, people far from relatives and friends) to support the "Russian world".

Another message - apparently, from somewhere in the front-line city in the Donbass.

"Supports and waits for the Russian world. He knows the time of the shelling. His sister is the wife of a separatist who is fighting for Russia. They keep in touch and exchange information about the location of our army in the city."

How the unknown complainant knows exactly what kind of information the brother and sister exchange via the Internet remains a mystery. But this did not prevent the "Dii" team from using such an example as an advertisement for a chat bot to search for collaborators.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sube
Nov 7, 2022

https://twitter.com/RussianEmbassy/status/1595000161922686976?s=20&t=i1YVAiDBdoy08Bo4Q4rDIw

Not beating the allegations

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sube posted:

I mean, there's been for months a chat bot where you can report 'collaborateurs' (one example the company said was exemplary: having a kid with a Russian)

:stare:

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's just what society falling apart looks like, maybe they'll manage to purge all the filthy traitors and collaborators and finally have a decent and pure nation. Or maybe not, we'll see.

lobster shirt
Jun 14, 2021

speng31b posted:

Yes, and Ukrainian officials are tweeting about it in, uh, interesting ways

while some of you are saying "go costa rica" or "go spain" i'm saying "go ukrainian missile defense and the rule of international law!"

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

It's just what society falling apart looks like, maybe they'll manage to purge all the filthy traitors and collaborators and finally have a decent and pure nation. Or maybe not, we'll see.

can horseshoe theory also be when both pro Ukraine propaganda accounts and pro Russia propaganda accounts are posting the exact same content about collaborator purges but one is like "yay purges good" and other is like "purges bad"

https://twitter.com/lynxrattle/status/1595407612606136323

https://twitter.com/tom_username_/status/1595385925542023168

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I bought a black skull cap for exercising in the cold and it has a big ol made in ukraine dog tag. Im doing my part :ukraine:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Wales eliminating Ukraine from the World Cup was a Godsend. Just imagine what it would be like if Ukraine played Iran.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Frosted Flake posted:

I don’t know if this is a joke about the Pentarchy, but there’s supposed to be five:

The Pope of Rome

The chief of the Orthodox Church of Constantinople

The Pope of All Africa and the chief of the Greek Orthodox Church of Alexandria

The head of the Greek Orthodox Church of Antioch and All the East in the Near East

The chief of the Eastern Orthodox Patriarchate of Jerusalem in Israel, Palestine, Jordan and All Arabia

But Islam and schism complicated things.

Why do the Greeks get two popes that aren't even Greek, like did the developers forget to balance that in a patch and now it's part of the meta?

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Slavvy posted:

Why do the Greeks get two popes that aren't even Greek, like did the developers forget to balance that in a patch and now it's part of the meta?

they're chosen from a pool of frat boys

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Supposedly, all of Ukraine’s reactors had to be temporarily shut off because of strikes, the reactors weren’t hit, but the transmission infrastructure around them isn’t stable to access at this point. Rybar is claiming the national grid is destabilizing, and individual regions may have to fend for themselves.

That is a pro-Russian take but clearly things are getting worse.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 17:27 on Nov 23, 2022

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

the ukrainian government should negotiate, imo.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

Zodium posted:

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

Zodium posted:

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Supposedly, all of Ukraine’s reactors had to be temporarily shut off because of strikes, the reactors weren’t hit but the transmission infrastructure around them isn’t stable to access at this point. Rybar is claiming the national grid is destabilizing, and individual regions may have to fend for themselves.

That is a pro-Russian take but clearly things are getting worse.

Ukrenergo is saying largely the same thing, and had said energy generation facilities have all sustained "some level" of damage

https://twitter.com/charliekreuz/status/1595403927255912448

Zodium posted:

yeah, or if they aren't willing to do that, at least allow evacuation without the SBU going after "evaders"

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

speng31b posted:

Ukrenergo is saying largely the same thing, and had said energy generation facilities have all sustained "some level" of damage

https://twitter.com/charliekreuz/status/1595403927255912448

yeah, or if they aren't willing to do that, at least allow evacuation without the SBU going after "evaders"

I don’t think they are going to give an inch until they are forced to, and in all honesty, the US feels like it “has this in the bag” at this point.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

Zodium posted:

Why would Russia want to negotiate? People are still hating on them for Molotov-Ribbentrop.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

redneck nazgul posted:

artillery officers are like summoners if you think about it

as long as FF can keep the priest focused on the summon, he should be fine

Don't be ridiculous, he's literally a glass cannon. If he doesn't win in the first 20 seconds he doesn't win at all.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

Organ Fiend posted:

Why would Russia want to negotiate? People are still hating on them for Molotov-Ribbentrop.

They are now officially calling for negotiations plenty fwiw. Though, they probably just want to use it as a ceasefire to try and regroup since they realise any type of arrangements which would actually foster long-term peace are off the table -- which is why Ukraine is now rejecting all negotiations, basically, since it would hurt their goals of retaking all territory

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sube posted:

They are now officially calling for negotiations plenty fwiw. Though, they probably just want to use it as a ceasefire to try and regroup since they realise any type of arrangements which would actually foster long-term peace are off the table -- which is why Ukraine is now rejecting all negotiations, basically, since it would hurt their goals of retaking all territory

yeah this is correct. Zelenskyy has formally rejected Russian calls for ceasefire because of this

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
zelensgayy

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
doesn't general mud make offensives pretty difficult ATM anyway? or is the thought it will take russia longer to fully mobilize than the arrival of general ice? surely ukraine are the ones who need a ceasefire more with their electric grid dying

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Temperatures are already starting to fall bellow freezing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So apparently the take on that execution of Russian POWs was "the last one of them still had a gun and started shooting" so they had no choice

speng31b
May 8, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

So apparently the take on that execution of Russian POWs was "the last one of them still had a gun and started shooting" so they had no choice

someone who hadn't surrendered in another nearby building started shooting, and after that they executed all the unarmed people lying flat on the ground by shooting them at close range in the head one by one

so yeah a bunch of nafos have concluded that's not technically a warcrime

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

speng31b posted:

someone who hadn't surrendered in another nearby building started shooting, and after that they executed all the unarmed people lying flat on the ground by shooting them at close range in the head one by one

so yeah a bunch of nafos have concluded that's not technically a warcrime

As long as one Russian is armed all Russians are amed :colbert:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

most russians have two arms so they're all legitimate targets

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

someone who hadn't surrendered in another nearby building started shooting
Is that part actually true?

I know it's been brought up as the explanation when it first started, this story has been going for at least several days before it went viral on social media.

Calibanibal
Aug 25, 2015

Lostconfused posted:

free Z? never

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

That sure is a caricature of a nose.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Lostconfused posted:

but is the ground hard enough for tanks and other heavy crap?

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Calibanibal posted:

free Z? never

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Lostconfused posted:

Is that part actually true?

I know it's been brought up as the explanation when it first started, this story has been going for at least several days before it went viral on social media.

I think that part is true. Here's the quote from before it went viral and the Ghost twitter guy was commenting on it. I haven't and will not actually watch the video, but this description was from before all the telephone game viral stuff.

spoilered because it's pretty graphic even as a text description

quote:

The execution of 12-13 Russian POWs in Marinka.

This happened sometime in 2022/11.
In this video, we can see about a dozen Russian POWs with obvious signs of having been executed. Although this was not verifiable until this morning when we got the first part of the video leading up to this drone footage showing the executed.

The pre execution video shows a bunch of Russians surrendering, but at one point we can see one Russian who decided not to surrender which is where the camera cuts on this video below. After they shot down the Russian refusing to surrender, it appears on of UA's own got wounded.

The wounded goes by the nickname of "Andriukha". After they neutralized the Russian gunman they decided to take revenge for "Andriukha" and proceeded to execute the Russian POWs. In the aftermath video you can see clearly that most got a gunshot wound to the head or are bleeding from that area, meaning the execution was systematic and not result of some nervous gunner.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

crepeface posted:

doesn't general mud make offensives pretty difficult ATM anyway? or is the thought it will take russia longer to fully mobilize than the arrival of general ice? surely ukraine are the ones who need a ceasefire more with their electric grid dying

The grid thing is an issue economically, but not really for their military directly (beyond issues such as communication, though from what I know they just get electricitity anyway for things such as Starlink). Makes things difficult, but not really something worth making a ceasefire over. For Russia, it's not just training the first wave of conscripts - which will probably be done by early next year -, but also preparing for a new offensive in in 2023 which would be much harder if it's still an active front. However, there's no real reason for Ukraine to agree to this. Russia's idea is to give Ukraine back parts of occupied Kherson and directly negotiate with Ukrainian military and ignore Zelensky, which is pretty unfeasible

Slim Jim Pickens
Jan 16, 2012

speng31b posted:

I think that part is true. Here's the quote from before it went viral and the Ghost twitter guy was commenting on it. I haven't and will not actually watch the video, but this description was from before all the telephone game viral stuff.

spoilered because it's pretty graphic even as a text description

"Ghost" on twitter is a jumpy teenager who just reposts stuff from telegram

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Slim Jim Pickens posted:

"Ghost" on twitter is a jumpy teenager who just reposts stuff from telegram

ok, but the text description is just him transcribing what happened in the video afaik

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sube posted:

The grid thing is an issue economically, but not really for their military directly (beyond issues such as communication, though from what I know they just get electricitity anyway for things such as Starlink). Makes things difficult, but not really something worth making a ceasefire over. For Russia, it's not just training the first wave of conscripts - which will probably be done by early next year -, but also preparing for a new offensive in in 2023 which would be much harder if it's still an active front. However, there's no real reason for Ukraine to agree to this. Russia's idea is to give Ukraine back parts of occupied Kherson and directly negotiate with Ukrainian military and ignore Zelensky, which is pretty unfeasible

Isn't the electric rail system still the main supply line?

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I think losing the electric grid would be more than a minor inconvenience for the Ukrainian military. They have generators, but if all electric locomotives are off line it is going to put them in a very difficult position especially if the Russians then target diesel depos. In addition, if there are mass evacuations and the economic collapses, it is going to effect morale and cause further supply issues.

If the argument is the Russians are basically “softening up” the Ukrainians, I guess so but it is a lot easier to launch offensives against a country that is already on the brink.

sube
Nov 7, 2022

genericnick posted:

Isn't the electric rail system still the main supply line?

I think a majority of locomotives are still non-electric in Ukraine, but I don't know a lot about Ukrainian railway system so could be wrong here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

sube posted:

The grid thing is an issue economically, but not really for their military directly (beyond issues such as communication, though from what I know they just get electricitity anyway for things such as Starlink). Makes things difficult, but not really something worth making a ceasefire over. For Russia, it's not just training the first wave of conscripts - which will probably be done by early next year -, but also preparing for a new offensive in in 2023 which would be much harder if it's still an active front. However, there's no real reason for Ukraine to agree to this.

don't they need power to transport their supplies via train

afaik the conscripts are all guys who have already served and some of them have already finished their refresher courses and are trickling in already

quote:

Russia's idea is to give Ukraine back parts of occupied Kherson and directly negotiate with Ukrainian military and ignore Zelensky, which is pretty unfeasible

who's this from? I've not heard anything about this?

edit: going to bed now