Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Should I step down as head of twitter
This poll is closed.
Yes 420 4.43%
No 69 0.73%
Goku 9001 94.85%
Total: 9490 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Decon
Nov 22, 2015

goatface posted:

It does appear to be more resiliant than anyone expected. It's been very well made.

Sounds like those lazy, snowflake devs were being overcompensated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Enigma89 posted:

So I guess Twitter is not going to fall apart under its own weight? :ohdear:

Tbh if anything it’s faster than it used to be, for me. Tweets load fast and video seems to play more reliably. Shame about the content

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

goatface posted:

It does appear to be more resiliant than anyone expected. It's been very well made.

yeah that's why everyone elon fired in infrastructure is fine, they'll go disperse around to infrastructure that isn't a high-scaled forum and hopefully do good for whatever this thing we're using is

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

Decon posted:

Give it time. Based on that one boywonder's "please perform software miracles and give me a one line modification to our system's search", it's just a matter of time before a poorly reviewed/tested feature hits prod and brings everything to a grinding halt for a couple hours. That'll be the first sign poo poo's heading south.

someone: here is my minified obfuscated one line of javascript that hides the login modal

geohotz: ctrl c, ctrl v, git commit -am "DEAL WITH IT" && git push -f origin master

someone: also it steals your bitcoins

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I stopped using it since I grew tired of the daily Kyle Rittenhouse and Matt Walsh updates. They became unavoidable.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

nexous posted:

someone: here is my minified obfuscated one line of javascript that hides the login modal

geohotz: ctrl c, ctrl v, git commit -am "DEAL WITH IT" && git push -f origin master

someone: also it steals your bitcoins

Elon's crypto wallets being drained because of twitter would be a very funny outcome.

CumBlast Radius Jr
Nov 1, 2022

by Azathoth
Twitter is going to just be a right wing poo poo hole and you should all leave and then it will be some WeChat like poo poo someone will tell you about and you'll unconciously flinch and oh, what Twitter became , who even remembers that. Its 10 years later.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Loved it when it got to the point where they had to put out a statement going HEY 40K IS A BAD FUTURE GUYS including quoting the dictionary definition of what satire is

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
Stephen King chat, but Fairy Tale is really good. Feels a lot like the talisman

delightful
Jul 20, 2022
Twitter is not going to die in the sense that it will go offline and stay offline for an extended period of time. Twitter is going to die because Elon sucks, his ideas are bad, and the content will get worse over time. It'll die in the same way myspace died - still online but no one cares.

sugar free jazz
Mar 5, 2008

The_Franz posted:

Don’t worry, geohot is currently fixing twitter…

https://twitter.com/corg_e/status/1595287073547862018?s=46&t=O5ByoB9cQ2CDbi6IQ9fOTQ

Or, rather, trying to get someone to fix it for him. For free.

imo this is funny because of teh fawning over this dude itt when he originally volunteered, you know who you are, show yourselves and admit posting defeat

Stoatbringer
Sep 15, 2004

naw, you love it you little ho-bot :roboluv:

Hardcastlemccormik posted:

https://twitter.com/JayShams/status/1595420604949200897

Someone should ask for a list of real publications aside from the Babylon Bee but I suspect that would be too much of a real mask off moment for him.

The Twitter Verified And Official publication is not real, got it.

vaginite
Feb 8, 2006

I'm comin' for you, colonel.

First four books of the dark tower are examples of the great writer Stephen King could be.

The last three books are examples of what he is instead.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

And Chud Hamms are still going "If Warhammer is for everyone, why aren't fascists and racists allowed in it?????? HUH? I AM VERY SMART!"

I bet if Twitter does become a paid app, it won't tell you that it is, and just bills your app store/google play store accounts. And it will be very hard to remove that sub, not only that but it will also continue if your account gets banned and now you cannot access the unsub option.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

twistedmentat posted:

And Chud Hamms are still going "If Warhammer is for everyone, why aren't fascists and racists allowed in it?????? HUH? I AM VERY SMART!"

I bet if Twitter does become a paid app, it won't tell you that it is, and just bills your app store/google play store accounts. And it will be very hard to remove that sub, not only that but it will also continue if your account gets banned and now you cannot access the unsub option.

You can remove subs from within the Apple app stores, by default I cancel stuff like strava yearly after I’ve paid to get the deals next time around.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

GW: *uncritically regurgitates every bit of fascist propoganda while writing about their most popular products*

Also GW: "CMON GUYS!! STOP ASSOCIATING US WITH IRL FASCISTS, ITS EMBARRASING!!!"

Trillhouse
Dec 31, 2000

Stoatbringer posted:

The Twitter Verified And Official publication is not real, got it.

take away their checkmark elon!

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I read one stephen king book and the only detail I remember is that they get a hold of the villain's computer and his screensaver is a drawing of Mickey and Goofy fuckin, and the protagonists are real incredulous that Goofy's cock is drawn as big and black as it is.

Also the villain was a cop or sheriff I think? I definitely felt like the lesson was "don't trust the police."

anyways i haven't read a lot of stephen king but he's a good author

Chernobyl baby
Jul 19, 2011

I know this is getting off-topic and I am not trying to defend fashy idiots who don't get the satire but imo 40k is also just a bad satire. The amount of hand-wringing done in that setting by the writers over how "the humans are bad but all the aliens are worse, and at least the trains run on time on the hiveworlds" annoys the hell out of me. Because of the grand scale it doesn't convey very well just how bad and hosed up living in the imperium actually is

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

All the twitter mods are fired but apparently the word filter still catches phrases if your posting gets too threatening lmao.

Chernobyl baby posted:

I know this is getting off-topic and I am not trying to defend fashy idiots who don't get the satire but imo 40k is also just a bad satire. The amount of hand-wringing done in that setting by the writers over how "the humans are bad but all the aliens are worse, and at least the trains run on time on the hiveworlds" annoys the hell out of me. Because of the grand scale it doesn't convey very well just how bad and hosed up living in the imperium actually is

Most in universe media is written from the perspective of a human perspective so that's part of it. But also, the imperium is largely written in a way where 90% of what they do makes no sense and it's contrasted against other races. The tyranids assimilate biomass, Eldar fight to maintain their species with the limited resources they have via very specific paths, Orks are just Like That. But why does the Mechanarium do most of what it does? Who knows?

But it's not like you're going to get a Imperial guardsmen looking at an Genestealer and going "why can't we be like these noble creatures". Sometimes the Tau gets that, but that's about it.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/oneunderscore__/status/1595454535258054661?s=46&t=-ylTI7cFluzn2zpPflE7gw

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004

Chernobyl baby posted:

It helps to remember that when the 40k setting began in the late 1980s, it was depicted as being just as lovely and grimdark as the original Warhammer Fantasy setting (namely a setting where everything was hosed up, and there wasn't really any "good" side, as they were all just different types of evil and oppressive), made by guys who thoroughly loathed Thatcher's Britain and were more than happy to satirize aspects of it with 40k.

Then, sometime in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and after some changes in management, the focus was shifted towards pushing their best-selling range, which just happened to be the Space Marine stuff, so for a good long while until just very recently--largely due to some more management changes--the evil and oppressive aspects of the Imperium were dialed back (in the "at least the trains run on time" manner that you mentioned) as the narrative began pushing "the Imperium is the last best hope for mankind and the galaxy" lore a lot harder. So it's no shock that we ended up with a lot of alt-right types being attracted to the game for those reasons (and why they're whining now that GW is starting to ratchet down the "The Imperium is a force for good, actually" perspective and upping diversity in having models that are designed/painted as POC and/or women, and not just big muscular white dudes).

(Source: being an old fart that was around for the first edition of WH40k :corsair:)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

I support this message wholeheartedly

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
All Warhammer stuff is pretty simple. The whole thing is just meant to be every miserable idea taken to absurd limits. There should be no real heroes, no hope, no compassion. Everyone should be an extremist arsehole unless they are the face of the common man being stamped on, and that guy should should think he deserves it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

CuddleCryptid posted:

All the twitter mods are fired but apparently the word filter still catches phrases if your posting gets too threatening lmao.

Most in universe media is written from the perspective of a human perspective so that's part of it. But also, the imperium is largely written in a way where 90% of what they do makes no sense and it's contrasted against other races. The tyranids assimilate biomass, Eldar fight to maintain their species with the limited resources they have via very specific paths, Orks are just Like That. But why does the Mechanarium do most of what it does? Who knows?

But it's not like you're going to get a Imperial guardsmen looking at an Genestealer and going "why can't we be like these noble creatures". Sometimes the Tau gets that, but that's about it.

There's also a ludo-narrative disconnect. You can say the Imperium is a shithole that creates more problems than it solves all you want. But when :commissar: actually gives a Morale Save bonus to the remaining troops....well that's going to change how the setting is perceived.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Sydney Bottocks posted:

It helps to remember that when the 40k setting began in the late 1980s, it was depicted as being just as lovely and grimdark as the original Warhammer Fantasy setting (namely a setting where everything was hosed up, and there wasn't really any "good" side, as they were all just different types of evil and oppressive), made by guys who thoroughly loathed Thatcher's Britain and were more than happy to satirize aspects of it with 40k.

Then, sometime in the late 1990s/early 2000s, and after some changes in management, the focus was shifted towards pushing their best-selling range, which just happened to be the Space Marine stuff, so for a good long while until just very recently--largely due to some more management changes--the evil and oppressive aspects of the Imperium were dialed back (in the "at least the trains run on time" manner that you mentioned) as the narrative began pushing "the Imperium is the last best hope for mankind and the galaxy" lore a lot harder. So it's no shock that we ended up with a lot of alt-right types being attracted to the game for those reasons (and why they're whining now that GW is starting to ratchet down the "The Imperium is a force for good, actually" perspective and upping diversity in having models that are designed/painted as POC and/or women, and not just big muscular white dudes).

(Source: being an old fart that was around for the first edition of WH40k :corsair:)

A friend got really into WH40k recently, reading the books and all, and I'm a bit worried, ngl

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

A friend got really into WH40k recently, reading the books and all, and I'm a bit worried, ngl

I would monitor for now, but wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

If he starts acting like Abaddon is a serious antagonist I'd start getting worried.

If he says that he liked War of the Beast, :sever:

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

Taeke posted:

As much as I adore the genre, scifi attracts the worst people and it's no surprise that nft/crypto bros love the genre. You just gotta accept that 95% of the community is poo poo. The biggest authors are poo poo. Always have been. The Starship Troopers movie isn't poo poo because Verhoeven recognized the source material for what it was and turned it into a satire. Asimov was a sex creep. You can go on and on.

Same with fantasy. It's both wish fulfillment so it attracts the worst people. Authors like Banks and Le Guin are drowned out by those catering to the worst of humanity.

If you look into every author, they are all sex pests.

Oct 4, 2005

SirPhoebos posted:

I would monitor for now, but wouldn't jump to any conclusions.

If he starts acting like Abaddon is a serious antagonist I'd start getting worried.

If he says that he liked War of the Beast, :sever:

His name is "a bad-un", and the company had to put out a statement reminding everyone its satire.

People are just thick.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

how did this turn into warhammer poo poo? did elon tweet some warhammer poo poo?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
He tweeted some (not) Dune poo poo, so close enough.

spunkshui
Oct 5, 2011

He should not have brought trump back because now im bored. Feels like I just saw then end of a movie.

It was more interesting before.

Ok internet, next!

Bionic Psyker
Apr 23, 2009

kazil posted:

how did this turn into warhammer poo poo? did elon tweet some warhammer poo poo?

He tweeted Dune, which is close enough for warhammer nerds. If Elon were tweeting warhammer it would be the same dumb one liners that get repeated ad neaseum, something like Magnus did nothing wrong or This tweet right here, inquisitor :elon:

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

https://twitter.com/aryehcw/status/1595472420458364928?s=46&t=EmiIB3YZsl6ToInlxYXPTA

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
Plagiarizing jokes has always been big on Twitter

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/1595473875847942146

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Bionic Psyker posted:

He tweeted Dune, which is close enough for warhammer nerds. If Elon were tweeting warhammer it would be the same dumb one liners that get repeated ad neaseum, something like Magnus did nothing wrong or This tweet right here, inquisitor :elon:

I assume he refers to layoffs as skulls for the skull throne

Ornedan
Nov 4, 2009

Cybernetic Crumb

Enigma89 posted:

So I guess Twitter is not going to fall apart under its own weight? :ohdear:

A fellow who contributed to making it so resilient wrote a bit about what they did: https://matthewtejo.substack.com/p/why-twitter-didnt-go-down-from-a

Basically Twitter has automated self-recovery to the point that Musk could order a second data center to be shut down and it'd still muddle along with reduced capacity. It'll only die if/when they start making breaking changes to the deployed code.

Ornedan fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 23, 2022

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Elon loves to cut out watermarks and and signatures from art, why would he include the author of tweets? Especially as they all by right belong to him now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright

"Today, I am unbanning the KKK because user BabyBallz6969 voted for it."