Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Mix. posted:

ok, well, this is awkward, i was about to post in the thread about an AD i listened to today that I really enjoyed and was excited for S2 of only to poke my head into their twitter to find out literally a few days ago the creators apparently split and the show won't be continuing. I'm still gonna recommend it bc it was a fun listen and it's just gonna have to be a Dreamboy/King Falls AM situation I guess, but, that sucks. :eng99:

Wait, there’s not going to be a second season of Echoes In Between? After that loving ending?

Now I’m angry all over again.

E: And I just voted for them in the Audio Verse Awards this afternoon. gently caress.

SaintFu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

SaintFu posted:

Wait, there’s not going to be a second season of Echoes In Between? After that loving ending?

Now I’m angry all over again.

E: And I just voted for them in the Audio Verse Awards this afternoon. gently caress.

it definitely, uh, does not seem to be an amicable split, the one still posting on the account basically said she had no say in it and was blindsided by the other guy leaving so its absolutely not intentional (and she's said she may try to find a way to continue the story down the line but it would feel weird to recast him)

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?
The Old Gods of Appalachia folks just announced they'll be writing an episode of Magnus Archives 2. So loving hyped for that.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

New Leaf posted:

The Old Gods of Appalachia folks just announced they'll be writing an episode of Magnus Archives 2. So loving hyped for that.

The complete list of guest writers is on the Kickstarter

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Mix. posted:

it definitely, uh, does not seem to be an amicable split, the one still posting on the account basically said she had no say in it and was blindsided by the other guy leaving so its absolutely not intentional (and she's said she may try to find a way to continue the story down the line but it would feel weird to recast him)

From the Q&A episode they did, it sounded like he was doing the editing, as well as the sound design and the music. I wonder if he got a better paying gig that precluded him doing the podcast.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

SaintFu posted:

From the Q&A episode they did, it sounded like he was doing the editing, as well as the sound design and the music. I wonder if he got a better paying gig that precluded him doing the podcast.

it sounded a lot closer to 'something interpersonal happened that resulted in our friendship breaking apart', but I didn't really dig too deep because it felt really personal and it's not my place :shrug:

won't be the first audio drama with a cool setup that never comes back, definitely won't be the last, but still, drat. you hate to see it

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

It's also a reminder of how many of these super cool things are basically just passion projects from a group of friends as opposed to anything resembling professional productions behind the scenes.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

New Leaf posted:

So are the writers of I Am Eskew and Slit Verses, along with a host of other podcasts.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

it honestly seems like drat near everyone in the rusty quill network gets to write an episode. 24 guest writers i think is what it's up to

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

I've only just now started listening to Greater Boston and while I'm enjoying it so far I really, really should not have started right after playing pokemon scarlet because literally any time the character Leon speaks I immediately picture him as Larry

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Mix. posted:

I've only just now started listening to Greater Boston and while I'm enjoying it so far I really, really should not have started right after playing pokemon scarlet because literally any time the character Leon speaks I immediately picture him as Larry

When you finish let me know how the last season was. It was 3 years of mini episodes so I unsubscribed and just went back and saw apparently the season finally dropped?

SaintFu
Aug 27, 2006

Where's your god now?

Hughlander posted:

When you finish let me know how the last season was. It was 3 years of mini episodes so I unsubscribed and just went back and saw apparently the season finally dropped?

It’s been really well done so far. I personally have to brace myself to listen to each episode because I’m finding the story to be really distressing. One of the writers put something up on Tumblr after the last episode explaining that they wrote this season in 2020 in the midst of the pandemic and Trumpism and all that, and, holy poo poo, it shows. I find I’m not very resilient to these things anymore. After listening episode 44 (the most recent full-length one), it was rattling around in my head for days. So, congratulations Greater Boston writers, I guess.

Also, episode 44 has two of most insufferable characters ever depicted in fiction.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I assume that podcast ads are based on based on browsing history like Google? Because I can't think of any other reason I'm getting ads for Saia LTL freight and SAP.

Both things that I deal with daily at work and absolutely despise

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Seeing as this forum was the one that introduced Magnus Archives to me, I guess it's only fair that I inform you of some unfortunate developments that have been happening at Rusty Quill for quite some time:

https://medium.com/@newtschott/whos-afraid-of-alex-j-newall-ae3a67f3a5e1

Without going into details, I was one of the users of their Discord and thus I did witness some of this happening myself FWIW

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Edit: after thinking further, I'm going to remove this.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
The Client agrees to ongoing positive portrayal of The Podcast and The Company in public after joining The Network but agrees not to publicly declare any kind of professional relationship with The Company without express prior written consent which for the avoidance of doubt, is not granted here. This includes any claims made by Client representatives and associates via social media accounts, websites and publications.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

I'm confused by this line

quote:

An observation has been made to me that there’s a very good chance that the list on Kickstarter of stretch goal guest writers may be the totality of the people in the audio fiction indie world that have still not had an experience with Rusty Quill.

Did they mean to put a [bad] in there somewhere? All the guest writers are in the network. I assume they're writing guest episodes because if they don't it'll cause all sorts of problems for their show

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

double post because this feels like a relevant thing that got added after the article went live

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Eesh, even if everything in the article is true (which it could be!), Not disclosing that earlier is, uh, not a great look either.
At best it muddies the waters and opens up to accusations of bad faith, at worst you'll get people writing it off as a competitor's hit job. I feel for the author if it was a genuine mistake, I imagine they're not having a great day either way.

cptn_dr fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Dec 13, 2022

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Eesh, even if everything in the article is true (which it could be!), Not disclosing that earlier is, uh, not a great look either.

Particularly when the article talked about how much better the terms of Fable & Folly are.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

It definitely makes that quote I questioned stand out even more. The Kickstarter flat out says "these are guest writers in the RQ network" yet the article says

quote:

An observation has been made to me that there’s a very good chance that the list on Kickstarter of stretch goal guest writers may be the totality of the people in the audio fiction indie world that have still not had an experience with Rusty Quill.

Which reads like the writer didn't actually fact check what they were told before going to post

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Particularly when the article talked about how much better the terms of Fable & Folly are.

lmao that's amazing

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

Hughlander posted:

lol

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Len posted:

It definitely makes that quote I questioned stand out even more. The Kickstarter flat out says "these are guest writers in the RQ network" yet the article says

Which reads like the writer didn't actually fact check what they were told before going to post

I mean RQ expanded pretty rapidly after TMA’s run, I could absolutely foresee, say, the NIGHTLIGHT folks having any of this context whatsoever - given the timing of when NIGHTLIGHT joined the network I suspect that connection to RQ was made in person at this year’s Necronomicon, where Simms was a guest of honor.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
The creator of Malevolent, Harlan Guthrie, responded to this on his Tumblr. His show is part of the Rusty Quill network, so he’s not a neutral player either.

https://at.tumblr.com/malevolentcast/you-probably-already-know-about-this-but-an/2hxdt6c0wt1g

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

it's kinda funny seeing the podcast world discover scummy production company tactics. like, independent of what is actually happening, everything in that original link is basic poo poo that a lot of production companies in other industries do, though perhaps not all of the bad behaviors at once

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
This is pretty bad. A lot of it reads like a generic "small company that expanded too fast without adequate infrastructure". From a lot of the Q&As for Magnus you can hear that they started out as a group of mostly friends or at least acquaintances putting on the show right here, and ballooning the way they did... you just can't keep that ethos when you've got that much stuff going on and people depending on getting paid. Maddy Searle's departure is one that really sticks out in that list as Chapter and Multiverse was like the RQ Gaming replacement, and that was her thing. Strange to fire her.

I didn't back the Magnus 2 kickstarter yet and I don't know that I necessarily want to now.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Rusty quill posted a response

https://rustyquill.com/2022/12/13/public-response-to-an-opinion-piece/

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I feel like if you're gonna take that angle you should sign the post. I doubt the media guy who posted it actually wrote it

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

It's an odd choice, for sure. IME the comms/media people are usually the ones who write the big statements and then they're just signed off by, posted by and attributed to the people in charge. If someone you've never heard of posts the thing, it doesn't feel like it carries much weight.

Wangsucker 69
Feb 7, 2004

Shut up, you old bat.
Hey folks, I found a podcast Ive really been enjoying. It’s technically an actual play of some RPG system I’ve never played but it’s not a lot of rolling and some excellent characters and other worldly creatures and stuff. Gives me a serial vibe and could fit in with the popular supernatural serials commonly enjoyed here.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/beyond-the-map-a-world-of-darkness-series/id1591559508

The first season was fine enough as background noise during work but the second and third season REALLY drew me in with strong main characters and interesting alternative history. Give it a listen, might say start with the second season.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi

Wangsucker 69 posted:

Hey folks, I found a podcast Ive really been enjoying. It’s technically an actual play of some RPG system I’ve never played but it’s not a lot of rolling and some excellent characters and other worldly creatures and stuff. Gives me a serial vibe and could fit in with the popular supernatural serials commonly enjoyed here.

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/beyond-the-map-a-world-of-darkness-series/id1591559508

The first season was fine enough as background noise during work but the second and third season REALLY drew me in with strong main characters and interesting alternative history. Give it a listen, might say start with the second season.

Sanspants Radio do a lot of fun stuff. Beyond The Map and D&D Is For Nerds are the ones that fit the most for this thread (but as Actual Plays, it’s a bit of a stretch), but they’re also known for Plumbing The Death Star, which takes random questions about pop culture and attempts to answer them in a comedic fashion.
(I say attempt for the “answer the question” part, but fully accept that comedy is subjective.)

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Does anyone know what's going on with Archive 81? They haven't updated their Patreon since 2019, their Facebook since right before the show dropped, and their twitter was silent from March until these two tweets

https://twitter.com/Archive81/status/1602704180329824259?s=20

https://twitter.com/Archive81/status/1612891884447502337?s=20

which looks like Marc is trying to crowd fund something but he's deleted his twitter so i've got no idea what it is

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Presumably the Netflix deal hosed them over.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

They had put up a Twitter account for a podcast called Wavelength: https://twitter.com/podwavelength

However, I don't know that there is literally anything out there on it other than a Twitter account that hasn't tweeted anything in nearly a year.

DoctorWhat posted:

Presumably the Netflix deal hosed them over.

Yeah, I presume that because of the Netflix deal that Archive 81 itself is dead as disco, but I've been patiently waiting for either this project to come up or for them to do something else.

gently caress, Archive 81 is so drat good, I'm still pissed the show didn't get another season because I want something from them, anything.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

I stopped listening to Magnus around episode 100 or so - can't remember why and decided to give it another try from episode 1 - a full quarter of the episode is nothing but adverts.

Does the rusty quill patreon still offer ad free episodes of magnus and if so at what level, I figure I'll just pay for it, and download them all ad free for my own listening pleasure without ads.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I believe they do but iirc there was an ongoing project to remaster the early episodes (and if I do rc, they’re probably pretty far in).

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!
Y'all need to check out "Modes of thought in anterran literature"

It's pretty good

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

AstroZamboni posted:

Y'all need to check out "Modes of thought in anterran literature"

It's pretty good

save people the search

quote:

Modes of Thought in Anterran Literature – Second Year Classics, C667, Professor [REDACTED]. This course discusses the Anterran Civilization, examining the evidence regarding the recent archeological ruins uncovered at the bottom of the Pacific Ocean. The earliest human society, [REDACTED] years older than previously known to exist, will provide opportunities for analysis of ancient writing and thought. Topics include literature, religion, and philosophy. Wednesdays, Room 014 Brussels Hall, Harbridge University. Additional resources can be found on the class website: modesofthoughtpodcast.com.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

With "reading a decent scp verbatim" as the baseline, how good are we talking?