Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What is the most powerful flying bug?
This poll is closed.
🦋 15 3.71%
🦇 115 28.47%
🪰 12 2.97%
🐦 67 16.58%
dragonfly 94 23.27%
🦟 14 3.47%
🐝 87 21.53%
Total: 404 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

speng31b posted:

I think that part is true. Here's the quote from before it went viral and the Ghost twitter guy was commenting on it. I haven't and will not actually watch the video, but this description was from before all the telephone game viral stuff.

spoilered because it's pretty graphic even as a text description

Ok, the post I saw was from november 14th, and it was based on a photo from some account calling itself donetsk fascist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

genericnick posted:

Isn't the electric rail system still the main supply line?

Easy to fix, just but big diesel generators on the electric trains and run leads to the trains' pantographs

speng31b
May 8, 2010

sube posted:

I think a majority of locomotives are still non-electric in Ukraine, but I don't know a lot about Ukrainian railway system so could be wrong here

when the power situation first became a major issue there were a bunch of posts about them reactivating a bunch of diesel locomotives. seems like the electric ones were replaceable, at least in the short term

sube
Nov 7, 2022

quote:

afaik the conscripts are all guys who have already served and some of them have already finished their refresher courses and are trickling in already
Well, there's a draft in Russia which a lot of people have gone through - however, actually going to war is quite a bit different. They are slowly trickling in, yes, but they've mostly just been used to fill some gaps when Ukrainians were advancing. Russia doesn't really have any infrastructure for mobilisation properly, which is why many pro-SMO reporters documents lots of issues with it (basic supplies are often lacking, iirc). I think a considerable portion of them are just getting trained in Belarus now

quote:

who's this from? I've not heard anything about this?

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2022/10/14/why-russia-is-pushing-a-return-to-negotiations They wrote about it here for ex. It's quite liberal, but they sometimes have interesting articles and reporting.

Organ Fiend
May 21, 2007

custom title

sube posted:

They are now officially calling for negotiations plenty fwiw. Though, they probably just want to use it as a ceasefire to try and regroup since they realise any type of arrangements which would actually foster long-term peace are off the table -- which is why Ukraine is now rejecting all negotiations, basically, since it would hurt their goals of retaking all territory

speng31b posted:

yeah this is correct. Zelenskyy has formally rejected Russian calls for ceasefire because of this

I was making sarcastic commentary relating to the whole "Soviets were the real Nazis because Molotov-Ribbentrop!" and the "political activism" of the current Ukrainian government. Obviously the joke failed to land.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

The air strikes are still going too https://twitter.com/Maks_NAFO_FELLA/status/1595456945066053632

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Organ Fiend posted:

I was making sarcastic commentary relating to the whole "Soviets were the real Nazis because Molotov-Ribbentrop!" and the "political activism" of the current Ukrainian government. Obviously the joke failed to land.

Jokes are illegal in the war thread

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Pre-war 80% of their freight locomotives were electric. So yeah it is a bit of an issue.

genericnick
Dec 26, 2012

sube posted:

I think a majority of locomotives are still non-electric in Ukraine, but I don't know a lot about Ukrainian railway system so could be wrong here

Wiki says about half the lines are electrified :shrug: .
The soviets certainly believed in electricity.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Ardennes posted:

Pre-war 80% of their freight locomotives were electric. So yeah it is a bit of an issue.

thats a lot

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

It's fine.

https://twitter.com/mattia_n/status/1595455052256247809

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

russia has planes??

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

speng31b posted:

someone who hadn't surrendered in another nearby building started shooting, and after that they executed all the unarmed people lying flat on the ground by shooting them at close range in the head one by one

this kind of scenario plays out a lot in ww2 nazi officer diaries. "we captured a bunch of soviets but then one of them shot at me so we executed the lot"

Organ Fiend posted:

i chuckled at your joke, friend :unsmith:

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Ardennes posted:

:yooge: steam

Frosted Flake
Sep 13, 2011

Semper Shitpost Ubique

It’s the standard line anywhere because it muddies the waters on if they were surrendered and legally in your custody under Geneva.

More to the point, people are looking for reasons to excuse Ukraine shooting prisoners out of hand and will latch on to what they can.

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Frosted Flake posted:

It’s the standard line anywhere because it muddies the waters on if they were surrendered and legally in your custody under Geneva.

More to the point, people are looking for reasons to excuse Ukraine shooting prisoners out of hand and will latch on to what they can.

the legalistic debate is unimportant, it's just people breaking their brains to stay in the good guy bad guy place

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Frosted Flake posted:

the Geneva convention doesn't matter those guys are for sure not being punished for their mass murder. i wouldn't want to be a ukranian pow, soldiers tend to like getting revenge

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Rutibex posted:

the Geneva convention doesn't matter those guys are for sure not being punished for their mass murder. i wouldn't want to be a ukranian pow, soldiers tend to like getting revenge

war is bad

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/LvivTyler/status/1595406885015891968

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

holding down the fort

pre:
Aimbridge | Interstate Hotels	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Align Technology	still operating in Russia	Health Care
Carl's Jr. | CLK	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Cloudflare	continue sales & services in Russia	Information Technology
Fleetcor	business as usual	Financials
Forever Living Products	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Huntsman Corporation	still operating in Russia	Materials
International Paper	still operating in Russia	Materials
IQVIA	still operating and actively hiring	Industrials
Kemin	still operating in Russia; declined to commend	Health Care
Lifestyle Production Group (LPG)	Continuing to hire Russian employees for editing	
Match Group	continue to operate in Russia including Tinder	Communication Services
Patreon	still providing services to Russia	Financials
Quicksilver	online sales still running	Consumer Discretionary
Riot Games	still operating in and selling to Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Sbarro Pizza	still operating in Russia and allowing placing online orders	Consumer Discretionary
Signet Armorite	operating in Russia through a subsidiary	Consumer Discretionary
Stryker	continue sales and imports to Russia	Health Care
Tenneco	still operating in Russia; deny comments	Consumer Discretionary
TGI Friday's	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Titan International	still operating in Russia	Industrials
Tom Ford	still operating in Russia; not disclosed publicly	Consumer Discretionary
Tupperware	still operating and actively hiring in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Valve	still providing services to Russia	Consumer Discretionary

:steam:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

drat that username slaps

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mawarannahr posted:

holding down the fort

pre:
Aimbridge | Interstate Hotels	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Align Technology	still operating in Russia	Health Care
Carl's Jr. | CLK	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Cloudflare	continue sales & services in Russia	Information Technology
Fleetcor	business as usual	Financials
Forever Living Products	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Huntsman Corporation	still operating in Russia	Materials
International Paper	still operating in Russia	Materials
IQVIA	still operating and actively hiring	Industrials
Kemin	still operating in Russia; declined to commend	Health Care
Lifestyle Production Group (LPG)	Continuing to hire Russian employees for editing	
Match Group	continue to operate in Russia including Tinder	Communication Services
Patreon	still providing services to Russia	Financials
Quicksilver	online sales still running	Consumer Discretionary
Riot Games	still operating in and selling to Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Sbarro Pizza	still operating in Russia and allowing placing online orders	Consumer Discretionary
Signet Armorite	operating in Russia through a subsidiary	Consumer Discretionary
Stryker	continue sales and imports to Russia	Health Care
Tenneco	still operating in Russia; deny comments	Consumer Discretionary
TGI Friday's	still operating in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Titan International	still operating in Russia	Industrials
Tom Ford	still operating in Russia; not disclosed publicly	Consumer Discretionary
Tupperware	still operating and actively hiring in Russia	Consumer Discretionary
Valve	still providing services to Russia	Consumer Discretionary
:steam:
an army marches on its sbarro

edit lol huntsman corp, hell yeah, haven't heard that name since the obama admin

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

aliCIA silverstone

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Turning a dial that says anti-semitic caricature and hitting publish even after the audience stops cheering and looks concerned

Southpaugh
May 26, 2007

Smokey Bacon

genericnick posted:

Makes sense with all the nuclear plants

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

an army marches on its sbarro

edit lol huntsman corp, hell yeah, haven't heard that name since the obama admin

Yeah, KFC and Burger King are still there. McDonald’s, Dunkin’s and Starbucks are controlled by franchisees that just changed their names.

Supposedly, Pepsi and Coke products are hard to fine but have been replaced by local alternatives. It was really mobilization that spooked people.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

really queer Christmas posted:

Jokes are illegal in the war thread

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

genericnick posted:

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Ardennes posted:

Yeah, KFC and Burger King are still there. McDonald’s, Dunkin’s and Starbucks are controlled by franchisees that just changed their names.

yeah but they're beholden to distribution networks for replacing stock, right? are those still in place?

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/LogKa11/status/1595150711683452928

Lmfao

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

qatar is antifascist

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin
Turns out they just thought it was a Buddhist symbol so they executed the guys

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Fake news, you've been had.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

i say swears online posted:

yeah but they're beholden to distribution networks for replacing stock, right? are those still in place?

I think they just locally source it for the most part. Admittedly, it isn't that different than the rest of the world.

The stuff that has to be changed obviously is anything branded, and there may have to be some equipment replaced.

Basically, nothing changed until the annoucement was made.

tristeham
Jul 31, 2022

Frosted Flake posted:

Wales eliminating Ukraine from the World Cup was a Godsend. Just imagine what it would be like if Ukraine played Iran.

agreed

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Frosted Flake posted:

Wales eliminating Ukraine from the World Cup was a Godsend. Just imagine what it would be like if Ukraine played Iran.

it woulda been some awesome content is what it woulda been

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Военный Осведомитель posted:

Вот такой интересный образец бензовоза засветился на официальных кадрах МО РФ.

Бензовоз имеет бронирование кабины и по всей видимости противокумулятивные решетки самой цистерны.

@milinfolive
(from t.me/milinfolive/93699, via tgsa)

think that truck is armored enough?

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Danann posted:

considering it has a bomb on the back, no

speng31b
May 8, 2010

Danann posted:

lmao. there's no way that's even slightly effective

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bakers Cousin
Dec 18, 2003

by vyelkin

speng31b posted:

lmao. there's no way that's even slightly effective

The motivated soldier is the effective soldier regardless of the effectiveness of their equipment

(Not true in all war zones, some exceptions apply)