Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Some American tries to sneak a bag of Skittles into USA-England and gets taken to a black site.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crazy Ted posted:

Some American tries to sneak a bag of Skittles into USA-England and gets taken to a black site.

frantically trying to explain what "taste the rainbow" means as they clamp electrodes on my balls

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

vyelkin posted:

frantically trying to explain what "taste the rainbow" means as they clamp electrodes on my balls
lol

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
The Brazilian state flags are all excellent.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

vyelkin posted:

lol

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
qatar trying to stop the Crugaydes of the west

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Big props to the croatians for mooning the cameras
Thats a lotta rear end tatoos

links

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Just found out a friend of mine was there in qatar live for the epic match with argentina, so loving jealous of him gonna ask a million questions when I see him.

I'll ask him what his experiences are regarding the lines and stuff you're all complaining about and check back with you

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Nov 23, 2022

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy
For as much time and money went into all this, they seem somehow... underprepared?

They probably could have built metro links and run a train a minute to get people to and from the venues instead of having driving be the only way to get around. VIPs would have the roads to themselves so it’s win-win.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
someone get mozambique into the world cup

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Playing or hosting?

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
just the biggest flags everywhere

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Thassa pretty flag actually

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

vyelkin posted:

"to taste the rainbow you gotta suck on deez"

Jean-Paul Shartre
Jan 16, 2015

this sentence no verb

EEKA GEEK posted:

For as much time and money went into all this, they seem somehow... underprepared?

They seem unprepared because they were, in fact, unprepared. This fan app that demands full control of your phone? Just a skin on their horrible in-house COVID app that worked the same way. All these luxury hotels? Built at the last minute - I was visiting family who lives in the same complex as the USMNT's resort hotel last May, and it wasn't finished yet. The roads? Just dropped into the desert. Qatar never actually reconciled with the reality of what hosting the World Cup meant. They honestly thought that hosting the Asian Games and the Diamond League was preparation enough.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
At this point I think it's fairly clear that Qatar knew they were in no way, shape, or form prepared to host a World Cup, and simply did not give a poo poo.

Honestly I am completely baffled as to what they wanted the Cup for, because it clearly wasn't sportswashing like we all assumed; if it was, they'd have made sure to put their best foot forward, since looking superficially good is the entire point.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

It’s sportswashing and it’s working tremendously in the arab Muslim world because they are the first country in both those groups to host the World Cup. also the only people throwing a fit (righteously let me be clear) over the lgbt rights are the west while everyone else don’t care all that much.

Qatar is profiting mightily politically and financially from this event. Big prestige boost.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
It makes me think of when the Saudi's first bought WWE events and insisted they include a lot of half-dead pensioners in the line-up so the matches were poo poo, and then sat around the ring in huge VIP chairs visibly not paying any attention so the crowd response was poo poo.

Only god knows how much more expensive.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

goatface posted:

It makes me think of when the Saudi's first bought WWE events and insisted they include a lot of half-dead pensioners in the line-up so the matches were poo poo, and then sat around the ring in huge VIP chairs visibly not paying any attention so the crowd response was poo poo.

And then held a bunch of wrestlers hostage by not letting their plane take off.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

njsykora posted:

That story was insane I’m shocked Vince kept putting on shows after that WWE still do events here with nobodies

Porrima
Oct 18, 2012

The world is fucked
and so are you.

Thanks, humanity
Dunno how badly that would have gone, but if Morocco had gotten the world cup before, this might not have happened now. One more thing for Platini to answer for in a court he will never go to.

Angry BIerds
Nov 3, 2022

by Fluffdaddy

goatface posted:

The figure I keep hearing bandied about is $200 billion.

Globe Life Field cost $1.1 billion. So theoretically, including almost a billion dollars in grift per stadium, they might have been able to build up to 100 fully retractable roof stadiums for that money. Architecturally they aren't that interesting, so where did the money go?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Buddy if i had the pics id not be posting here

Akbar
Nov 22, 2004

Hubba-
Hubba.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Big props to the croatians for mooning the cameras
Thats a lotta rear end tatoos

those are just their faces

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

EEKA GEEK posted:

Architecturally they aren't that interesting, so where did the money go?

I was gonna say the bribes to FIFA but if you’ve ever seen what politicians take as bribes you know these people aren’t exactly loving expensive.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Canada wins the anthem match imo

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

njsykora posted:

Maybe if we ask nicely Qatar will keep hold of Ronaldo

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet

Rarity posted:

Maybe if we ask nicely Qatar will keep hold of Ronaldo

It's already been proven that Ronaldo won't take "no" for an answer though.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Qatar is profiting...financially from this event.

is this true? flying people in to fill seats and then banning concessions seems incredibly expensive

the rat fandom
Apr 28, 2010

Lunsku posted:

If anyone’s hungering for a hilariously and disturbingly lovely and tone deaf film, I recommend checking the FIFA financed United Passions from 2014, about the history of FIFA. It came out just as the Blatter bribe business had picked up steam on tens of millions of budget from FIFA, and actors like Gerard Depardieu, Sam Neill and Tim Roth featuring. It was just mindblowing to me how that kind of hagiography seemed to be in any way a good idea unless the organization had been just huffing their own farts for way too long.

Its currently on youtube for free. Its a truly terrible film, great watch.

link

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i say swears online posted:

is this true? flying people in to fill seats and then banning concessions seems incredibly expensive

The seats are being filled by Arabs who have a level of access to the World Cup that they’ve never had before because they don’t need to apply six months in advance for their tourist visas to Europe.

Also there’s more than one type of drink than alchohol lol.

Let’s not forget Tv ads and ratings and political capital because qatar holds exclusive rights to broadcast the World Cup to the Arab world in general and its using this event to mend ties with scumbag animal dictators like Sisi.

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Costa Rica lol

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

The seats are being filled by Arabs who have a level of access to the World Cup that they’ve never had before because they don’t need to apply six months in advance for their tourist visas to Europe.

Let’s not forget Tv ads and ratings and political capital because qatar holds exclusive rights to broadcast the World Cup to the Arab world in general and its using this event to mend ties with scumbag animal dictators like Sisi.

are they in the red or in the black? that's all i'm asking

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i say swears online posted:

are they in the red or in the black? that's all i'm asking

Qatar will permanently be in the black because they literally have gods bounty of Liquid Gas, these gulf countries are INSANELY full of liquid cash that’s why they do this insane stuff without being overthrown the next day because they physically can’t go bankrupt and can’t be held accountable

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

Qatar will permanently be in the black because they literally have gods bounty of Liquid Gas, these gulf countries are INSANELY full of liquid cash that’s why they do this insane stuff without being overthrown the next day because they physically can’t go bankrupt and can’t be held accountable

so they're in the red

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

i say swear online posted:

so they're in the red

I dunno dude isn’t hosting world cups and Olympics gonna put you in the red no matter which country you are? When was the last time a country experienced a financial windfall from hosting this type of major event?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Al-Saqr posted:

When was the last time a country experienced a financial windfall from hosting this type of major event?

minutes ago, from your post

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Al-Saqr posted:

Ale, lager, wine, seltzer, rum, whiskey, tequilla,gin, vodka, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cagliostr0
Jun 8, 2020

Al-Saqr posted:

So when you talk about scumbag animal dictators do you include the ones running the country hosting? Is there a country in the region that isn't run by one?