Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003
Do you have an Air Miles Card?

Chief McHeath posted:

Hmm corporations guzzling money down from any source they can get, putting it into the pockets of their investors and management then claiming it’s been lost and the company can’t possibly pay any of it back then having their debts erased by the government isn’t corporate welfare. Got it.

In that the government isn't bailing them out, yeah.

HappyHippo fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?

Nessus posted:

That’s what you get for hosting Ted Cruz

Ted Cruz buys the Bitcoin dip

quote:

According to a financial disclosure filed on Friday 4th Feb, Cruz bought between $15k and $50k worth of Bitcoin on January 25th, using the River brokerage.

At the time, Bitcoin was trading between $36k and $37k, and over the subsequent days it has risen to a current price of around $41,600. Assuming he hasn't sold his bitcoins and incurred any short term capital gains taxes, his current profit on the transaction is in the region of $2,000 - $6,850.

Wonder how that’s working out for him now

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Ups_rail posted:

How isnt bitcoin monopoly as well

Well you can buy Drugs with bitcoin and use it as a store of value if you live in some godforsaken country with hyperinflation. (I wouldn't recommend doing that, but that's the theory)

Where everyone gets into trouble is when they think think they are the next wolf of wall street and start making bets on margin.

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yJn6IiYid6A

another good summary

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

so what makes them "Scientific "?

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

WHERE IS HIS CHIN???

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
didnt Rand also have her own small sex group? and she got upset when her younger partners drifted away from her

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
She cheated on her husband relentlessly and then had a fit when he left her for another woman.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

PhazonLink posted:

didnt Rand also have her own small sex group? and she got upset when her younger partners drifted away from her
She excommunicated her younger affair partner when he presented her with a well-reasoned explanation on how his selfish need to bang an 18 year old won out on his intellectual compatibility with Rand (also she was old and also hella uggo) and was 100% in line with her teachings.

She then spent hours berating him in front of her students lol

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

I heard a visitor to one of Rand’s little klavern meetings was asked why he wasn’t smoking. “I don’t because it irritates my throat, so I don’t enjoy it.”

This was accepted but made the acolyte uncomfortable.

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

FilthyImp posted:

She excommunicated her younger affair partner when he presented her with a well-reasoned explanation on how his selfish need to bang an 18 year old won out on his intellectual compatibility with Rand (also she was old and also hella uggo) and was 100% in line with her teachings.

And that man's name? Ron Paul

smoobles
Sep 4, 2014

Didn't SBF get ousted? Why's he still pretending to be involved with FTX

busalover
Sep 12, 2020

FilthyImp posted:

Didn't she also have some breakdown in the end, and decided to have her institute demolished?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

busalover posted:

Didn't she also have some breakdown in the end, and decided to have her institute demolished?

I heard she collapsed at a party and had to get her stomach pumped...

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

smoobles posted:

Because he knows he's in deep poo poo, so he's still clinging to the belief that he can somehow make everything work out.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

smoobles posted:

It's as irrational as when he ran the company.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Somebody is making the calls there and it’s worth asking who

https://twitter.com/markamesexiled/status/1595114305657376768?s=46&t=hHTZd9ANWDet3vpkNXk0mA

Ups_rail
Dec 8, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

WTF!!

so now no one knows who the boss is?

HappyHippo
Nov 19, 2003

https://twitter.com/dril/status/1279814327776624640?lang=en

Zopotantor
Feb 24, 2013

...und ist er drin dann lassen wir ihn niemals wieder raus...

lol if the new CEO just appointed himself like in that urban legend of the parking attendant at Bristol zoo

Koopa Kid
Aug 21, 2007

smoobles posted:

He's never had to deal with real consequences and he thinks this is all a game. Also his brain has been melted by abusing pharmacokinetics in order to play League and have weird orgies for three days straight every week.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
look the orgies are the most relatable part of this entire tale so maybe lay off if you're trying to push the weirdo angle

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

hazardousmouse posted:

look the orgies are the most relatable part of this entire tale so maybe lay off if you're trying to push the weirdo angle

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

PhazonLink posted:

so what makes them "Scientific "?

well, a lot of what they did use the numbers 88, 12, 13 and reference Mein Kampf for investment advice.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

https://twitter.com/dril/status/900592164589248513?s=46&t=81_2Q6qaYHj4emWGAZ1NQA

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

notwithoutmyanus posted:

well, a lot of what they did use the numbers 88, 12, 13 and reference Mein Kampf for investment advice.

So scientific like scientific racism?

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

The dril lathe of heaven keeps turning

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

vitalik buterin bulge

FYI this is your something awful tab. Just type in the address bar to search Google.

notwithoutmyanus
Mar 17, 2009

Bip Roberts posted:

So scientific like scientific racism?

More a statement than a question when we're talking crypto.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

hazardousmouse posted:

In Europe the weird crypto nerd orgies are perfectly normal.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

carticket posted:

FYI this is your something awful tab. Just type in the address bar to search Google.

oh ok thanks

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

OK, WTF Is 'Longtermism', the Tech Elite Ideology That Led to the FTX Collapse?

quote:

Longtermism and effective altruism are shaky moral frameworks with giant blindspots that have proven useful for cynics, opportunists, and plutocrats.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
pluto isn't even a planet anymore let it go

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I don't like the framing that SBF committed his myriad financial crimes in some long term altruistic plan and not simply to get really rich.

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

SettingSun posted:

I don't like the framing that SBF committed his myriad financial crimes in some long term altruistic plan and not simply to get really rich.

the funny thing is he already admitted it was a front in his insane messages to that reporter

WorldIndustries fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Nov 24, 2022

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

I think you mean that friend SBF was messaging :qq:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Boxturret posted:

pluto isn't even a planet anymore let it go

In this case it refers to mickey’s dog

Elerion
May 31, 2011

Ups_rail posted:

WTF!!

so now no one knows who the boss is?

Nonsensical article. The new CEO saying “many entities, for example, never had board meetings” is not the same as saying there were never any board meetings at group level. The new CEO and the law firm was almost certainly appointed by the board of FTX, whoever that may be.

For what it’s worth, not holding board meetings in every subsidiary is not abnormal as far as corporate governance goes. Not that their corporate governance wasn’t a joke, just saying that specifically is not crazy.

Elea
Oct 10, 2012
Am I understanding NFTs correctly?

Someone could pretend to be Banksy selling exclusive and immutable NFTs. Take e-money while waiting for a cease and desist. Replace the Banksy jpegs hosted with AI-generated "poo poo Apes" until the server is taken down.

And the people who bought them would just have a receipt and a broken link?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Elea posted:

Am I understanding NFTs correctly?

Someone could pretend to be Banksy selling exclusive and immutable NFTs. Take e-money while waiting for a cease and desist. Replace the Banksy jpegs hosted with AI-generated "poo poo Apes" until the server is taken down.

And the people who bought them would just have a receipt and a broken link?
Yes, but you could also use multiple slurp juices on the same poo poo ape