Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Node posted:

That's three of the four horsemen of the apocalypse when it comes to games these days.

FFT posted:

"card-based" completes the set imo

Is "post-apocalyptic, zombie-infested" still the secret fifth horseman, these days? :v:
(They seem to be a little less common nowadays, but drat, aside from Zomboid there's a lot of 'meh' ones)

EDIT: Hmm, or maybe that's the devil itself, one tier above the four? :D

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Nov 18, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
There have been some really fun open world survival crafting games in the past. A bunch of them get talked about here! It's not impossible to make good ones, just a whole lot of low effort garbage in the genre. I'd say about half of that is just stuff that gets abandoned.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
this looks a lot like valheim to me, but portals are used for traveling to completely different biomes/realms

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

There have been some really fun open world survival crafting games in the past. A bunch of them get talked about here! It's not impossible to make good ones, just a whole lot of low effort garbage in the genre. I'd say about half of that is just stuff that gets abandoned.

It's true. I mean hell, the grandfather of open-world crafting survival is UnReal World after all, and that's fantastic! I really need to dive back into that, to resume my crusade against the Njerpez...

VegasGoat
Nov 9, 2011

I really like the idea of needing some specific supplies and making a portal to bring you directly to a location that has them. My biggest issue with many survival games is time spent just getting where you know you want to go, or wandering around aimlessly hoping to find a specific biome or randomly generated structure that has what you need to progress. Exploration just isn’t my thing I guess, most survival worlds aren’t that interesting to me.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

More than anything I want a 3D FPS survival crafting game where I build structures that other NPCs move into and I can build up a town. Give me NPCs that move into houses and I will spend hours, days, and more constructing the perfect village for them.

That game looks like it MIGHT just appeal to me.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

khy posted:

More than anything I want a 3D FPS survival crafting game where I build structures that other NPCs move into and I can build up a town. Give me NPCs that move into houses and I will spend hours, days, and more constructing the perfect village for them.

Give me a cross between Conan: Exiles, Medieval Dynasty, and The Guild.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
I'd like a cross between the settlement building and management of Sim Settlements/Conqueror on Fallout 4, and the aesthetics and gameplay of Conan Exiles :allears:
stability would be a pretty nice plus

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Guys, please, you're gonna make me depressed that this fantastical game doesn't exist! :D

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

khy posted:

So about that:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1898300/ASKA/

Not available yet. Looks like Valheim x Rimworld, small scale co-op multiplayer survival, viking theme, but you build a village and somehow recruit NPC villagers to do stuff for you? Premise sounds amazing, with any luck maybe this will be the next unicorn.

lordfrikk
Mar 11, 2010

Oh, say it ain't fuckin' so,
you stupid fuck!
More info on the TLD expansion: https://www.thelongdark.com/expansion/

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde
Sounds like good additions. Now if they'd just add co-op.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
coop seems like the last thing that fits or makes sense with TLD mechanically or thematically and is, as i understand it, pretty loving hard to just graft on to a game like that

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Verviticus posted:

coop seems like the last thing that fits or makes sense with TLD mechanically or thematically and is, as i understand it, pretty loving hard to just graft on to a game like that
There's a user-made TLD Co-op mod and while it's still a long way from finished, and features plenty of desync bugs, the fact it's as far along as it is, with no official support, is nothing short of incredible. I hope they get there one day.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Looks good for TLD. I wonder what they're going to do with fishing

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

I just want a release date!

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Oh, they put the release date on the forums but not the dlc page for some reason?? 5th of december is sooner than I was expecting gently caress yeah.

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

khy posted:

Someone mentioned it already, but you might enjoy Medieval Dynasty. It fits most if not all of those criteria. Build up a village of houses and work-buildings, recruit people from other nearby villages to live and work in yours, trade with the other villages, progress through seasons (you can adjust how long each season is, default is something like 3 days), find a wife, have a kid, and eventually play as the kid when they get old enough and your original character gets too old (the "Dynasty" part). All in first-person perspective!

edit: I will never get over how weird it is that The Long Dark calls its campaign "Wintermute," because I immediately think of William Gibson and games like DX or Cyberpunk 2077 rather than "survival in a snowy wasteland." I'm surprised they didn't call Survival mode "Snowcrash."

Fifty Farts fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 25, 2022

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

They could call the campaign whatever they wanted because who has even played it (its bad).

BrianRx
Jul 21, 2007

Firos posted:

They could call the campaign whatever they wanted because who has even played it (its bad).

It's pretty amusing to me that the mode they put in so that EA buyers would have something to play and planned to remove is far more fun (and played) than the story mode they spent so much time developing. I know that they share the same mechanics so dev time wasn't completely wasted, but they could have called it 1.0 so much sooner.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
I noticed I have Die Young in my Steam library. Yes or no?

Oysters Autobio
Mar 13, 2017
Only thing that doesn't make sense is exactly what is being released on the 5th of December for TLD expansion?

The website says it's a subscription to get updates every 8 weeks, and lists features and new mechanics/maps but I don't get if the all the features listed:

A) All features (with no announced order yet) will come out in 8 week installments. By the end of the pass, all of the features listed would be released (plus or minus some unannounced extras).

Or

B) Those listed features and maps are what will be dropped on just the first installment on Dec 5th and there are even more features to be announced coming in the next one.

If it's 'A', then have they announced exactly what's being released on the 5th of December?

Also have they put out any more details on safe shelter customization? Is it just the ability to put up photos on the wall or can you actually modify anything (i.e. rooms, walls etc.)?

Oysters Autobio fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 29, 2022

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
They have been fashionably vague on all of those fronts from what I can tell.

My guess is that the initial release includes the new maps and the fauna and flora reshuffle, and everything else comes later.

But I'm also quite happy to just wait for what actually releases on the 5th.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Oysters Autobio posted:

Also have they put out any more details on safe shelter customization? Is it just the ability to put up photos on the wall or can you actually modify anything (i.e. rooms, walls etc.)?
This is probably the one I'm most interested in, so I'm really looking forward to what they have to say about it, even though I doubt it'll be in the first wave of updates.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Any clues on what's in the first TLD DLC update? I tried checking Raphs twitter but looks like they're being intentionally vague.

I would put my money on only 1 region included at release, other then that I have no clue. I think it has been a while since they dropped a bunch of content but they have also been decoupling story and survival into two separate experiences to make it easier to add content on both sides, which undoubtedly took a non insignificant amount of resources.

I'm expecting maybe the trader is in the launch

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Janitor Ludwich IV posted:

Any clues on what's in the first TLD DLC update? I tried checking Raphs twitter but looks like they're being intentionally vague.

I would put my money on only 1 region included at release, other then that I have no clue. I think it has been a while since they dropped a bunch of content but they have also been decoupling story and survival into two separate experiences to make it easier to add content on both sides, which undoubtedly took a non insignificant amount of resources.

I'm expecting maybe the trader is in the launch
I'd really like to know too, especially with it dropping tomorrow. Hope we at least get a comprehensive rundown then?

E: I imagine once it actually drops on the 5th they'll announce the details quick, so let's hope a feature list shows up soon.

Vib Rib fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 5, 2022

Faldoncow
Jun 29, 2007
Munchin' on some steak

quote:

Part One introduces the brand-new Airfield Region, featuring plenty of open space, a Control Tower, and new mysteries waiting to be explored. For more great details, watch the Part One Update Video below:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHM3vOcqvT8

tldr:

quote:

Paid content:
-6 parts released over 12 months, first part has:
-New Region: Forsaken Airfield
-More/Larger transition zones to the new Regions
-Glimmer Fog
-New weapon/tool variants (not many yet)
-New music

Free content update:
-Overhauled loot tables and item spawns
-New spawn points in survival
-Notes under car visors that mark a spot on the map with supplies
-Added female deer
-Craftable crampons

In general there's nothing too earth shattering here. I've got enough hours in TLD and love the game, so I'll be buying it primarily to support more development of the survival mode (or future other games by Hinterlands), but if you don't like TLD or are burned out on it, this first update probably doesn't have enough to be critical to purchase.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The Insomnia affliction is new too. It really shouldn't be this hard to find a comprehensive feature list that applies to Part One and not just everything they have planned eventually. Neither store page has a good list, but on the site (not the main update page, but the second one back) you've got:

quote:

Adventures in the Far Territory begin with “Part One: Forsaken Airfield.” The first Part introduces players to the brand-new Airfield Region, featuring plenty of open space, a Control Tower, and new mysteries waiting to be explored. Players can also access Transfer Pass, a new hub region, and the Far Range Branch Line transition region, which will help connect the new Expansion regions to the rest of Great Bear Island. 

Other paid content available today in “Part One: Forsaken Airfield” includes new Glimmer Fog, Insomnia Affliction, new Rifle Variations and new Survival music.

In addition to the new paid content, the Expansion Pass also offers great new free content for THE LONG DARK, including a comprehensive Resource refresh, the addition of Visor Notes, a new Doe, and Improvised Crampons. 
They also don't actually say anything about the new glimmer fog or what it does, except that it can cause insomnia. Cool?

I was hoping for something more gameplay-focused, but hey, it's something at least.

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
They definitely did a number on item placement. I'm interloper, spawned in pleasant valley. Searched the township around the community centre, the farmstead and the barn. No matches. Plenty of water and food and now have every item slot covered, farewell frostbite.

Next stop is the signal tower with eyes to making it to mystery lake from there. Will there be matches in mystery lake!

Found an arrowhead and shaft, first time I've ever seen that on loper. Pretty certain you couldn't before today, and you had to craft them.. doesn't matter much without a bow but it was a good way to pass some time during a blizzard.

I guess my goal for this run is to gear up and find the new region but I also have yet to go to ash canyon, Blackrock, and I'm pretty sure another zone I've never seen.

Seen a few female deer which kinda look like wolves from a distance but I'll probably get use to it.

Janitor Ludwich IV fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 6, 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
Speaking of for TLD discussion in here, maybe we spoiler if we find out where the entrance to the airfield transition is.. maybe even if we identify key item spawn points? Though saying you found matches on a corpse or something seems fine, but a few people.saying the same thing probably establishes corpses as a source so..

Poster discretion I guess. Would appreciate not learning too much from the thread. It might never come up as this thread is pretty slow.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Man losing a 350ish day interloper save that was shooting towards the 500 day achievement is rough.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider
Friend of mine made a bunch of mods for Card Survival: Tropical Island, adding more cards viisble on the screen, hotkeys and dropping poo poo from containers directly to the ground, etc...

https://www.nexusmods.com/cardsurvivaltropicalisland/mods/

Didn't see a thread for it in the index so posting it here.

RandomBlue fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 6, 2022

Janitor Ludwich IV
Jan 25, 2019

by vyelkin
I played some more TLD.. I stuck with my plan to go to the signal tower in pleasant valley. I found some work boots in good condition but still no matches.

I headed for Mystery Lake in the late afternoon. At this point I realised I have to go through a cave with no light of my own, but I hoped there'd be enough inside to guide me through.. There was not. I ended up stumbling around for quite a while. I took a fall in the cave somehow and did some condition damage, nothing too bad. I eventually backed right into the transition to the winding river and it was both surprising as hell and a huge relief that I didn't end up dead in a cave or back out in Pleasant Valley. A very green sunset awaited me on the outside. By the time I made it to the dam, it was quite dark and navigating the exterior wall over to the entrance in the dark was also fun!

Then I was in the dam, no sleeping bag at this stage so I tried to stumble through the dam in the dark. I know I made it at least as far as the work bench room because when the light finally came I found I had looted a metal box in that room, but I regained vision in the stairwell before that room. At this stage I was losing condition from lack of sleep, so rather than loot the dam I headed straight for the beds outside and logged off at that point.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

RandomBlue posted:

Friend of mine made a bunch of mods for Card Survival: Tropical Island, adding more cards viisble on the screen, hotkeys and dropping poo poo from containers directly to the ground, etc...

https://www.nexusmods.com/cardsurvivaltropicalisland/mods/

Didn't see a thread for it in the index so posting it here.

Oh that's cool, thanks for posting!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Any details on what TLD's new Glimmer Fog actually does? Only info I can find is that it can cause insomnia and causes "strange effects" in some electronics.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Any details on what TLD's new Glimmer Fog actually does? Only info I can find is that it can cause insomnia and causes "strange effects" in some electronics.

You're gonna take a whole load of strange energies.

I don't know what I'm talking about

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Anyone got any good advice for dealing with wolves in The Long Dark? Bloody things stress me out. I'm playing the story mode, think I might just turn off their aggression if I go over to Survival mode.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Drop a torch and aim a stone at them. That's literally all there is to it.

The way hostile animals are done in The Long Dark is my second biggest complaint about the game. It would be much, much better if wolves were much more rare and would only stalk and attack if they were starving. You know, like real wolves. It would also make them much more scary if they were rarer.

Instead, the island is absolutely crawling with a gigantic wolf population that is both incredibly aggressive and far too large to be sustainable.

Lemony
Jul 27, 2010

Now With Fresh Citrus Scent!

Antigravitas posted:

Drop a torch and aim a stone at them. That's literally all there is to it.

The way hostile animals are done in The Long Dark is my second biggest complaint about the game. It would be much, much better if wolves were much more rare and would only stalk and attack if they were starving. You know, like real wolves. It would also make them much more scary if they were rarer.

Instead, the island is absolutely crawling with a gigantic wolf population that is both incredibly aggressive and far too large to be sustainable.

I agree, I'd like if the animal populations in the game were handled very differently. The aggression at least has the excuse that in the fiction, something about the events is also causing animal populations to behave abnormally.

I love The Long Dark and I have a ton of hours in it. I'm burned out on it for awhile right now, but I'll almost certainly pick up the DLC at some point. I say that because I'm not sure there's a game that I find more disappointing. It's somehow really engaging, despite also feeling like the developers made a huge number of baffling and frustrating mistakes. That's compounded by the fact that, despite being Canadian, I'm not convinced any of them have actually experienced cold before.

Maybe it's a bit of a petty example, but take the snow shelters in the game. To make them you need sticks and cloth. Sticks make sense, the shelter depicted is clearly some form of quinzee. I've certainly never used cloth when making a quinzee though. In fact, I have no clue why, or how, you'd use that much cloth making a snow shelter.

The entire clothing system, a core part of the actual game, seems like they never actually thought out how it would function or track to reality. The way clothing is layered is so divorced from anything approaching realism that it was sometimes distracting. For example, temporarily ignoring item durability, the best torso slot choice for staying warm and dry is the expedition parka, a modern manufactured coat. It's a rare item, but not impossible to find if you aren't on the highest difficulty (I'm talking survival mode here, since higher end items in story mode tend to not be randomly distributed). Only, you have two torso slots to work with, representing layered clothing. The best option? Slap on two parkas, a thing that is totally plausible. But wait! That's your exterior torso slots. In addition to your two parkas, you are also wearing two bulky rear end fisherman's sweaters on your interior torso slots. It's such a bizarre and unnecessary design choice.

That's not even getting into stuff like how scarves go in the same slots as hats. Want to wear a scarf, balaclava and hat at the same time. Apparently it's physically impossible! There are two accessory slots, but you can't put scarves in them (which was super confusing to me when I first played). There could have been a slot specifically for scarves, but no.

A normal state of gameplay is to be running around with two bulky jackets on, two sweaters under that, two pairs of snow pants, two pairs of thermal underwear, and a couple of hats.

Again, I love the game. I have hundreds of hours played in it. I just wish it was even better.

To answer the original question about wolves, a torch and a stone can definitely do a lot of lifting for you. Carrying a flare or two can be a good idea, wolves will generally stay away if you have one lit and they don't weigh much. I personally found that there were enough around that I didn't have to really worry about ever running out. If you want to be a little cheesy, you can light a flare or torch and throw it down at your feet directly between you and the wolf. Immediately pick it up and then throw it back down again. Repeat until the wolf gets freaked out by its prey flinging a burning object into the snow ten times in a row and runs away.

Or just murder every single wolf that crosses your path. If you're playing story mode, your ability to do this depends a little on which act you are in. There are no firearms or bow in the first act, so wolf massacre is less of an option. However, the flare gun is available and actually does a lot of damage if you land a good hit. A single shot will generally kill a wolf from full health if I recall correctly.

In later acts, or in survival, the revolver is a good option for wolf protection. It's relatively lightweight and even at low skill ranking it's fairly easy to consistently get single shot kills by placing your back against a solid object, crouching, aiming down the sights, and waiting for the wolf to start it's leap. They stop dodging right as they attack, so you can pop them in the head as they make their lunge. This also works with the rifle and bow, though it's definitely trickier with the bow. In survival I favored using a bow as my general defence and hunting weapon once I got my skill high enough. It's very lightweight, the ammo is reusable and, once you have the arrowheads, craftable most anywhere. It's possible to one hit kill basically every animal with it (with the possible exception of bears. I can't remember for sure if they take two, but I'd swear I managed multiple single shot kills on them with the bow). It's way riskier though, I definitely got roughed up a few times where I'd have been fine if I'd just used a rifle instead (much as in real life, don't gently caress with a moose unless you are very prepared to find out).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Antigravitas posted:

I definitely noticed that they love to follow me across the entire map at the exact same consistent distance a walking pace but never break off or catch up.

As long as we're pointing out weird quirks of the game's systems, everyone knows that real life arrows can only be made with arrowheads forged from scrap iron.