Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Satan himself couldn't have made a worse Elder spawn

Took two in game days to sail around the island, which is almost entirely plains and swamp on the eastern side, with the Elder platform being in a circle of Black forest completely engulfed by Plains with a strip of Black Forest running to the ocean that was about the width of two boats lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
Does anybody have recommendations for servers to rent? I'm hoping to get a small-ish 8 person server for like a month or two that will allow me and my friends to dick around with Mistlands before we get bored and move on. Absolutely has to allow full mod support or come pre-packaged with the big named mods or something.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Firebert posted:

Satan himself couldn't have made a worse Elder spawn

Took two in game days to sail around the island, which is almost entirely plains and swamp on the eastern side, with the Elder platform being in a circle of Black forest completely engulfed by Plains with a strip of Black Forest running to the ocean that was about the width of two boats lmao
Time to find a new Elder spawn :v:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
"Why does this guy Care so much about having to sail to such an easy fi- oh 'surrounded by plains' rip"

I keep my loxx heard down to two adults because I'll be damned if those guys don't breed like rabbits. That's gigantic mass of loxx gives me anxiety, I'm surprised you can keep them fed well enough.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Yeah trying to fight the Elder close enough to the Plains for deathsquitos to get involved is a big fat nope, go find another altar.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

Vasudus posted:

Does anybody have recommendations for servers to rent? I'm hoping to get a small-ish 8 person server for like a month or two that will allow me and my friends to dick around with Mistlands before we get bored and move on. Absolutely has to allow full mod support or come pre-packaged with the big named mods or something.

These guys were my group's initial plan, until I got a bee in my bonnet and decided to self host on a box in my garage. I wanted to get a little docker experience.

https://valheimserverhosting.com/index.html

Apex Hosting also has some mod support.

TheAwfulWaffle
Jun 30, 2013
I'm having a weird problem.

Yesterday, when I logged in I saw the patch notes for the new update. I doodled around a while, but couldn't find any new Mistlands, and I didn't see any new content.

Today, the new patch notes aren't showing up, and it looks like I'm still running the previous version (0.211.11).

Anybody else have a similar issue? Uninstalling and reinstalling from Steam didn't fix it.

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

TheAwfulWaffle posted:

I'm having a weird problem.

Yesterday, when I logged in I saw the patch notes for the new update. I doodled around a while, but couldn't find any new Mistlands, and I didn't see any new content.

Today, the new patch notes aren't showing up, and it looks like I'm still running the previous version (0.211.11).

Anybody else have a similar issue? Uninstalling and reinstalling from Steam didn't fix it.

Did you enable the beta branch in the Steam settings? The new update isn't out for the regular live version, you have to opt into it.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Eifert Posting posted:

"Why does this guy Care so much about having to sail to such an easy fi- oh 'surrounded by plains' rip"

I keep my loxx heard down to two adults because I'll be damned if those guys don't breed like rabbits. That's gigantic mass of loxx gives me anxiety, I'm surprised you can keep them fed well enough.

I actually killed most of them right after taking those screenshots. That's about as many as the area can sustain so far as I can tell. Cloudberries are everywhere though, that pen has a patch of 33 cloudberry plants that I built it around.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Oh man y'all, All I can tell you is I hope you haven't been throwing away your trophies

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

I have a dumb question. Is the public test a single public test environment or can you make a private server and play with friends like normal if they’ve all opted in?

Mischievous Mink
May 29, 2012

dkj posted:

I have a dumb question. Is the public test a single public test environment or can you make a private server and play with friends like normal if they’ve all opted in?

It's still like the normal game, you can run your own server, play with buds, or play solo offline or anything else like usual.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

Mischievous Mink posted:

It's still like the normal game, you can run your own server, play with buds, or play solo offline or anything else like usual.

Perfect. Thank you.

JosephSkunk
Dec 16, 2003
Yes, evidently you had misperceived it as rain.

Eifert Posting posted:

Oh man y'all, All I can tell you is I hope you haven't been throwing away your trophies

:suspense:

Jabarto
Apr 7, 2007

I could do with your...assistance.

Eifert Posting posted:

I KNEW hoarding that poo poo would come in handy at some point

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I literally had just discovered a dungeon in the mistlands when it became time to head out for Thanksgiving. It'll be there when I get back I suppose.

Edit: No cores. :smith:

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Nov 25, 2022

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
I'm sad because this is about the only time I can fit Valheim into my ~gaming schedule~ for the near future and my choices are current with mods or Mistlands without. The default itemization feels like poo poo without Epic Loot.

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
Yeah we started fresh again with the Mistlands beta and not having some of the Valheim+ QoL stuff is a real pain. Stack/box sizes are a big one, I hate having four crates just to store all my wood. Epic loot isn't a huge deal at the start but around the Swamps/Plains it begins to add a lot to the game.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I'm kind of glad not to have epic loot right now because I think it would really mess with the equipment progression. We haven't had to break into a new tough zone in 2.5 years

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
Where can you plant the new mushrooms? Can't cultivate mistland and it doesn't want to grow elsewhere

edit: nvm went to a different area in the mistlands and could cultivate there

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 26, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Jusupov posted:

Where can you plant the new mushrooms? Can't cultivate mistland and it doesn't want to grow elsewhere

edit: nvm went to a different area in the mistlands and could cultivate there

Yeah there is area where there's no grass and you can't grow them there.

It's worth noting you don't need nearly as much room as you did for grain. I'm getting by just fine with space to plant about 30 of the little suckers.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Eifert Posting posted:

Yeah there is area where there's no grass and you can't grow them there.

Some strange boundaries

Much easier to make a farm in a place that was previously generated, none of that drat thick fog

And even though it says that the mushroom can't grow in this environment I'm still getting it to stage 2 in meadows. Sadly it dies after that

Jusupov fucked around with this message at 20:17 on Nov 26, 2022

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I spent the day fixing my lox pasture and now they don't bone. I guess I gave them too much space

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Man the Mistlands is pretty brutal. I almost exclusively play solo and I'm wondering if it's easier with more people. Its so hard to explore around the new area because traveling is so slow and there's so many fuckin bugs. I feel like I'm not really getting anywhere so far.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
If you dial in your counters the combat is not hard.

Aster0ids
Oct 13, 2018

Eifert Posting posted:

I spent the day fixing my lox pasture and now they don't bone. I guess I gave them too much space

Personally thats why i rebounded off valheim, they seem to be padding the lack of content with the hardness of getting anything done.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

If you dial in your counters the combat is not hard.

Mostly yeah, but that's not really what I'm complaining about. Exploration is just so slow with the terrain and the badyear blimps everywhere. I will say it's more difficult to just run away than any other biome, for those times when you're overwhelmed with enemies suddenly.

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

I played the game right when it was released for about a month. Wondering if there's enough new content to warrant all the hours of playing it again.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

ChocNitty posted:

I played the game right when it was released for about a month. Wondering if there's enough new content to warrant all the hours of playing it again.

Yeah, though I would either sign up for the Mistlands public beta or wait a month (Mistlands release date is "before xmas") for it to go live. So far the public beta seems pretty stable, though I wouldn't be surprised to see some minor balancing done. I think the earlier biomes will be largely identical but there's new content in the Mountains and Plains already, adding the Mistlands content to that will definitely make it worthwhile.

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Eifert Posting posted:

There is a limit for how many lox can be around a certain radius. You can get around that by having a breeding pair high up, that way they'll continue dropping new babies constantly

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Eifert Posting posted:

My current save is over 400 days in and I haven't come across a single rancid remains trophy, this is extremely mean of Irongate. :negative:

tak
Jan 31, 2003

lol demowned
Grimey Drawer
are there any extra equipment slots type mods that work on the beta branch? or something that lets me mass harvest crops?

inventory management is so brutal in this game

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

The atgeir is really good in the mistlands*, the secondary attack removes and kills any ticks, and it's good at stunning the 2-3 seekers that gang up on you. I haven't fought a seeker soldier with it yet though.

*provided you're stuck on a slope

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I think the cave outfit You get for the mountains is key to enjoying the mistlands. I can outrun any fight if I want to.

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Nov 29, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yea I haven't played mistlands yet but god drat that armor rules

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

Eifert Posting posted:

I think the cave outfit You get for the mountains is key to enjoying the mistlands. I can outrun any fight if I want to.

Using this myself too. Nothing better than seeing a 2 star seeker soldier emerge from the fog 2 meters in front of you and running away

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Everyone is going to have a different experience in the mistlands but the way I've made it work is by wearing the Ninja garb 99% of the time and having the equipment for a crafting bench and a portal in my back pocket.

When I find something that needs to have a fight I just build a quick portal and go back home and put on the real armor. The new cape loving rules and I will never take it off voluntarily.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

pik_d posted:

My current save is over 400 days in and I haven't come across a single rancid remains trophy, this is extremely mean of Irongate. :negative:
I forgot there is a different variety of skeleton. I wish burial chambers would stay relevant longer.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Dwesa posted:

I forgot there is a different variety of skeleton. I wish burial chambers would stay relevant longer.

A simple way to do this would be to give surtling cores a use beyond the fixed amount you need to build smelters and stuff. Like, they could be turned into some kinda super fuel for smelters and blast furnaces that makes them work faster, or something like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
Surtling cores are needed for bonfire fireworks. Very important.

Once I'm up to the swamp I dig out a fire spout and use that as a coal and Surtling core farm. They're really great if your house is close enough that it's constantly active but far enough away that your benches don't effect the spawn. Coal and cores for days.