Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Orv
May 4, 2011

terrorist ambulance posted:

Is there a clear reason not to just run a doomstack of 4 vets with bolters and power swords

4 stacks of everything are viable, just might be harder or easier depending. Some of my easiest runs have been 4 vet or 4 pskyer where we'd just roll up on a new room, gun or magic everything down and move on without even engaging in melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

bagrada posted:

Which male psyker voice is always going on about his Beloved?

Not sure if this is character background specific or not but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that his Beloved is The Emperor in at least one line. I've been playing Male Seer from whatever the Forested Shrine World was and I'm OK with it.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

BadOptics posted:

The server outage was the metaphorical Ogryn blocking our fun wanting veteran.

:hmmyes:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Orv posted:

4 stacks of everything are viable, just might be harder or easier depending. Some of my easiest runs have been 4 vet or 4 pskyer where we'd just roll up on a new room, gun or magic everything down and move on without even engaging in melee.

Being the lone vet in a 3 psyker squad is basically Walking Simulator 40K. Heads just popping before I can do anything.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

This is broadly not necessary as long as you're side stepping properly--which is to say than when you're fighting a horde basically all movement should be done via a dodge. I rebind dodge to shift instead of space for this kind of situation. You need to have a good feel for your weapon's cleave and stagger, but if you push or push attack then dodge left or right by the time the non-staggered enemies have finished their attack animation you'll be out of the way.

This is correct up to a point I feel like, that point being unreliable teammates who end up letting twenty poxwalkers slip past in some of the smaller rooms. That said yeah, that's the right answer and is pretty powerful and probably why they already hit things like the dagger and saber because you could do some really silly things with their absurd dodges.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Diephoon posted:

Not sure if this is character background specific or not but I'm pretty sure I heard him say that his Beloved is The Emperor in at least one line. I've been playing Male Seer from whatever the Forested Shrine World was and I'm OK with it.

Background doesn't play into it. The one exception is cutthroat which hard requires you to be cadian in character creation. Seer is always talking to their beloved the Emperor, Savant is always a cop and a local, Brawler ogryn is always explicitly a bone 'ead, ect ect.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

I finally got a force staff for my Psyker last night, and it makes me feel like I was playing the game wrong before. I was level 8/9 with a blue tier precision burst rifle and it never felt like I could keep up when getting swarmed by hordes, plus I’m sure I was doing a crapload of friendly fire. The AOE with the force staff feels like it opens things up so much. Is there ever any reason to go back to guns with the Psyker? I also picked up a force sword before logging off for the night, but haven’t run with it yet.

The latest patch, plus setting an aggressive fan curve for all of my fans, seem to have stabilized things fairly well. I’m getting more intermittent disconnects than outright crashes. At one point, I came back from a disconnect, got shoved into the pit on the foundry stage, and my character model then clipped through the stage geometry and started floating off into space. One of the pubbies on my team was trying to save me and got very confused when I simply disappeared.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

BadOptics posted:

Being the lone vet in a 3 psyker squad is basically Walking Simulator 40K. Heads just popping before I can do anything.

Sort of, I ran with a 3 psyker squad last night where they all had staffs and just were not killing stuff fast enough

BrotherJayne
Nov 28, 2019

bagrada posted:

Which male psyker voice is always going on about his Beloved?

The one that has a personal line to the Emperor hisself?

I dunno, but I like that he implys that the Omnissiah and the Emperor are one and the same

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Sort of, I ran with a 3 psyker squad last night where they all had staffs and just were not killing stuff fast enough

Which is weird because psyker shits damage left and right. Pugs probably don't know that you have to fully charge your powers to do said damage.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Orv posted:

This is correct up to a point I feel like, that point being unreliable teammates who end up letting twenty poxwalkers slip past in some of the smaller rooms. That said yeah, that's the right answer and is pretty powerful and probably why they already hit things like the dagger and saber because you could do some really silly things with their absurd dodges.

This highlights another point that only really started to go away on Legend and Cata, and was still so common I decided I would be dedicated Backline no matter what Sienna I was playing: Please, for the love of gently caress, turn around sometimes. Just glance behind you! You don't wanna be One Guy'd! Every so often a Poxwalker (and previously slave rat) will get the brilliant idea to be the one dude who comes up behind you and half the time they were right to do it!

Now that I'm trying out the staves my 400 hours on Sienna are really beginning to translate, though I actually don't think I like the chain lightning staff all that much. I see the use-case in the instance of a large group of armored elites, but broadly I would prefer my teammates just blocked ragers until I could get a head pop off, which if it doesn't kill them on higher difficulties will stagger them for the follow up.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sab Sabbington posted:

This highlights another point that only really started to go away on Legend and Cata, and was still so common I decided I would be dedicated Backline no matter what Sienna I was playing: Please, for the love of gently caress, turn around sometimes. Just glance behind you! You don't wanna be One Guy'd! Every so often a Poxwalker (and previously slave rat) will get the brilliant idea to be the one dude who comes up behind you and half the time they were right to do it!

:pray:

Though sometimes the One Guy doesn't currently make noise which isn't ideal, so look around anyway!

Pigbottom
Sep 23, 2007

Time is never wasted when you're wasted all the time.
weapon stats video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9QlBkFN9RRw

edit: also this:

Pigbottom fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 23, 2022

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Facts are chains that bind perception and fetter truth.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Part of me loves 30 minute videos on dumb video game bullshit but man, a 30 minute video on bars is somehow beyond the pale.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
I’m sorry if the bars thing genuinely bothers you please for the love of Christ find a more constructive hobby or do anything else just thinking about being so mad about bars and the numerical values of what each pixel means is worth combing over in a 30 minute video makes me so depressed you’re not in EVO grand finals so you have to obsess over frame data like this

Orv
May 4, 2011

Al-Saqr posted:

I’m sorry if the bars thing genuinely bothers you please for the love of Christ find a more constructive hobby or do anything else just thinking about being so mad about bars and the numerical values of what each pixel means is worth combing over in a 30 minute video makes me so depressed you’re not in EVO grand finals so you have to obsess over frame data like this

It was a joke.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Orv posted:

It was a joke.

Oh lol. My bad.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

Gimme the bigger bar every time baby. Bigger bar = better, I don’t care what any nerd on YouTube tells me.

Abroham Lincoln
Sep 19, 2011

Note to self: This one's the good one

Please assign a bar to all the posts that corresponds with quality

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The worst thing about bars is that they're entirely bullshit that only works for comparing with the same exact weapon rather than being some universal values between melee and ranged weapons.

Char
Jan 5, 2013

DeathSandwich posted:

But what do you think of the pilot?

So, Emperor is God? Strange, no?

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Aw man, I had a golden bolter with 4 perks in my limited time offers shop earlier today but I spent all my weekly reward dollars on a braced autogun yesterday. Then I logged out and when I logged back in just now it was gone anyway. Man, that thing looked like it'd rip stuff up with the combination of stuff, it had more crits the longer you aimed and more damage to staggered enemies, both of which stacked the longer/more you did the respective thing. Then the two basic perks it had were bonus damage to Crushers and maulers I think.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Abroham Lincoln posted:

BadOptics
Sep 11, 2012

Abroham Lincoln posted:

ChaseSP posted:

The worst thing about bars is that they're entirely bullshit that only works for comparing with the same exact weapon rather than being some universal values between melee and ranged weapons.

[==|--------------------]

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002
I understand what they're trying to do with the bars but I'd rather just get all the stats, even if some of those stats are 0 or whatever.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
If you are leveling Psyker up high, keep an eye out for the fireball staff with "headshots quell peril" trait, the fireballs fly in perfectly straight lines and penetrate everything so you just aim head level to a horde with a infinite grenade launcher.

That staff trait in vermintide also got nerfed for how broken it could be with multi-hit weapons, this is using the prenerf version because :fatshark:

Psyker is also just pretty good overall I'd say, Sienna used health to vent her heat and it was a fair trade-off for the firepower, in Darktide you can quell peril for free and much faster and it can actually regenerate your toughness.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

If you are leveling Psyker up high, keep an eye out for the fireball staff with "headshots quell peril" trait, the fireballs fly in perfectly straight lines and penetrate everything so you just aim head level to a horde with a infinite grenade launcher.

That staff trait in vermintide also got nerfed for how broken it could be with multi-hit weapons, this is using the prenerf version because :fatshark:

Psyker is also just pretty good overall I'd say, Sienna used health to vent her heat and it was a fair trade-off for the firepower, in Darktide you can quell peril for free and much faster and it can actually regenerate your toughness.

That trait sounds awesome, will definitely look out for it.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

the fireball staff i’m used to in vermintide had an arc, does this one not do that?

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
The crunch sound of a Rumbler grenade impact to a shotgunner's face followed by the dude's buddies getting blown up

It sustains me

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Cowcaster posted:

the fireball staff i’m used to in vermintide had an arc, does this one not do that?

Nope, it's just a flat projectile. It moves a little slow but it doesn't have any appreciable drop.

istewart
Apr 13, 2005

Still contemplating why I didn't register here under a clever pseudonym

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

in Darktide you can quell peril for free and much faster and it can actually regenerate your toughness.

I took this trait at level 5 as it seemed like it was far and away the best choice. I wonder if the other two choices have better synergy with higher-level builds.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

The staff you're looking for is the Voidstrike staff and it is extremely powerful. It seems to take less peril to charge than the other staffs, but does just as much ae damage and pierces through targets as well.

I think at higher difficulties, the GTAOE staff will be better for avoiding friendly fire but with friendly fire off, blast away and explode everything.

^^^

Edit: At higher levels you will consistently be doing lots of warp based damage so the 5% recovery on warp kills lets you regen toughness while killing as opposed to quelling peril.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are we sure higher difficulties have friendly fire? One of their CMs said there's none at all currently.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Orv posted:

Are we sure higher difficulties have friendly fire? One of their CMs said there's none at all currently.

There's hitmarkers for it. They look sort of seafoam green colored, as opposed to the blue color for ranged baddies.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i thought blue was for friendly fire, white was for a mitigated hit (armor or distance), yellow was for a full hit, and red was for a kill. i don't think i've ever seen a green indicator for hitting things at range.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

drat, the voidstrike staff is so drat good. It just adds that extra bit of crowd control that psyker's been missing for me. The stagger radius is nice and big, the charge pretty quick, and it's incredibly cheap in terms of peril cost. In terms of style I do like the lightning staff a little more, but it's just a teensy bit too unreliable so far. And hey, just outright bisecting a guy with the voidstrike never gets old :allears:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Edit: At higher levels you will consistently be doing lots of warp based damage so the 5% recovery on warp kills lets you regen toughness while killing as opposed to quelling peril.

I prefer being able to turn venting into emergency healing, especially since you are already getting toughness on kill because the staff trait is venting peril for you.

One thing I'm not liking about Psyker on higher difficulty levels is that special HP scales like crazy while brainburst remains stagnant, on difficulty 4 it takes 2 brainbursts to kill dogs and it was my main tool for getting them off people and tracking the spazzy bastards.

Also poxbursters are my bane with staff/force sword, if they spawn really close I can't burst them fast enough compared to a sharpshooter and I find the shove doesn't consistently stop the detonation if they are jumping.

One thing I don't quite like is that Ogyn is the only character that can revive people like it's vermintide, it's very easy to end up in a failure cascade because a single person went down and there is no way to get them up without clearing everything in the area, compared to VT where you could just hold block and get them up in 1 second in the middle of 200 skavenslaves attacking you.

Orv
May 4, 2011

NeurosisHead posted:

There's hitmarkers for it. They look sort of seafoam green colored, as opposed to the blue color for ranged baddies.

There's always hitmarkers for friendly fire but I'm fairly sure it doesn't currently exist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BombiTheZombie
Mar 27, 2010
AFAIK there is no friendly fire on Heresy difficulty, Damnation might have it but i havent dipped my toes into it yet.

Apparently Heresy always has the "Increased frequency and size of hordes" modifier active, which explains some of these insane spawnrates. Two crushers, a bulwark, two mutants, three gunners, two shotgunners, a hound and a horde alongside a couple of grenadiers and a bomber. The sheer unfairness of what the game throws at you on difficulty 4 is staggering.