Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.

cat botherer posted:

Big conferences are great, because you can gently caress off and go do less boring poo poo, and no one will notice your absence. It's the small specialized conferences that suck because your captive to all these people you kind of know and you have to listen to their boring talks. At least I'd always get my revenge by making those bastards listen to my boring-rear end talk that goes at least five minutes over time.

Yes but then you run into the problem I did where I hosed off most of the conference except my own talk and the social bits then, a few months down the line, asked someone at another event if they'd been there only for them to acidly reply 'yes, I was a keynote speaker'. Lmao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roller Coast Guard
Aug 27, 2006

With this magnificent aircraft,
and my magnificent facial hair,
the British Empire will never fall!

The Hausu Usher posted:

Was the only shot at Scottish independence hosed in the bin in 2014?

Unless they want to start putting up candidates in English seats, perhaps.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Haven't heard anything from Bobby Deluxe since before the tribunal... is he okay?

ThomasPaine
Feb 4, 2009

We have no compassion and we ask no compassion from you. When our turn comes, we shall not make excuses for the terror.
Realistically the only way Westminster agrees to another indyref is if they think there's zero chance they lose it, especially with the tories in power. I could maybe see Labour coming to some kind of deal with the SNP to allow another referendum in exchange for some kind of coalition/more likely confidence and supply arrangement, but that would depend on a very particular political situation and an at least semi-not poo poo Labour leader.

Failing that I think we're poo poo out of luck for a long while short of forcing the issue by mass protests and civil disobedience which, well, lol. I would be interested to see what happened if the SNP held an unsanctioned vote in the way Catalonia did though. I wonder if Westminster would actually dare bus riot police up to disrupt it. More likely they'd just shrug and ignore it and say 'lol what are you going to do about it'

ThomasPaine fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Nov 23, 2022

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Tesseraction posted:

Haven't heard anything from Bobby Deluxe since before the tribunal... is he okay?

The judge was polite and helpful, the DWP didn't attend. He was awaiting some sort of decision later.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
RIP Wilko Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvjQpPEjP8E

Fuckin bollock head.
Can't come out and give a straight no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVnHYBomso

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I actually got my hopes up a bit for a nice surprise with the court decision, although I know very little about the details so it was just naivete I suppose.

Need a break from following politics in general I think. There's nothing on the horizon, it's just consistently depressing and infuriating.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

The judge was polite and helpful, the DWP didn't attend. He was awaiting some sort of decision later.

Do they do this when they think they're going to lose so don't bother to turn up?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

roomtone posted:

I actually got my hopes up a bit for a nice surprise with the court decision, although I know very little about the details so it was just naivete I suppose.

Need a break from following politics in general I think. There's nothing on the horizon, it's just consistently depressing and infuriating.

Always a good idea from time to time (not being sarcastic)

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Tesseraction posted:

Ah sorry, had a nap and am now playing D&D.

DWP didn't turn up. Judge and medical officiant were both lovely and asked loads of leading questions, but by this point in the process I've had plenty of people be nice to my face and then be horrifying in the report later.

They're making the decision later today and will send it out in the post, so will give the details as soon as available.

In the meantime, have a post about an awful far-right fascist regime:

https://twitter.com/Telegraph/status/1595190352331390978?t=OIz8OJpdTM_GjFKTIy7Dlw&s=19

Just imagine living in a country that would do something like that.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

bessantj posted:

Do they do this when they think they're going to lose so don't bother to turn up?

Yeah, quite often the DWP just bullshit their way along and then give up the second they have to face some outside scrutiny.

Prole
Jan 13, 2022

Scotland should just hold a referendum and if it goes in the favour of independence they should just declare it and dare England to go to war with them over it all...

atal
Aug 13, 2006

burning down the house

Prole posted:

Scotland should just hold a referendum and if it goes in the favour of independence they should just declare it and dare England to go to war with them over it all...
least deranged UKMT poster

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2022/nov/23/revealed-tory-peer-michelle-mone-secretly-received-29m-from-vip-lane-ppe-firm

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I hope Scotland at least learns a lesson from Ukraine that when you separate from the crumbling ex-superpower union you keep some of the nuclear missiles. Even if you think they're expensive or immoral or make the baby Joseph Smith sad, they can set a whole city on fire and a nice written promise to respect territorial sovereignty can't. Unless it's a very dry day in the 17th century I guess.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Bobby Deluxe posted:

Ah sorry, had a nap and am now playing D&D.

It's fine, just sadly seen more than one goon take a bad ruling and uh... not come back so radio silence is always a little worrying.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Guavanaut posted:

I hope Scotland at least learns a lesson from Ukraine that when you separate from the crumbling ex-superpower union you keep some of the nuclear missiles. Even if you think they're expensive or immoral or make the baby Joseph Smith sad, they can set a whole city on fire and a nice written promise to respect territorial sovereignty can't. Unless it's a very dry day in the 17th century I guess.

They helped pay for them. They deserve the nukes. I'd prefer them to turn them into duds that get polished off and paraded around near the border every few months, while they pretend they're still active. That's the ultimate conclusion of MAD, but the world isn't ready for my ideas.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

bessantj posted:

I would give the same odds to "so incompetent they didn't realise the case was being called today".

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

For not showing up to the appointment they should be sanctioned imo. bloody layabouts

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

create a big craft space op, and if possible use the space as a local community hub as well as a place where you can make stuff to sell. maybe you'll meet someone who likes doing the marketing/selling

interesting that the thread focuses entirely on The Landlord Question side of the equation rather than the concept of doing anything practical, but there you go

It's a nice idea but sadly I can't do this due to zoning laws. They're fairly specific about what sort of businesses you can run from your home and also to allow people to use woodworking machinery and stuff I'd need hella insurance and probably special business licensing and maybe also qualifications as an instructor and that kind of stuff.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Prole posted:

Good thing the Government haven't been cosying up to a bunch of people with a lot of practical experience in dealing with separatists!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Back on the insulating a stone wall, a quick messing around with some SAP software gives a U value for a foot thick stone wall as about 3.15.

If you were able to build an aircrete block wall directly against the inside of this with no cavity you could lower this U value to 0.78.

If you used equivalent thickness, 100mm PIR insulation board you'd bring it down to 0.21.

Its more complicated than a direct limit to the U-value a wall must achieve, but in England this year they lowered the target U-value of a wall in a new home from 0.30 to 0.26.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Prole posted:

*gestures vaguely at Catalonia which basically tried this*

*gestures vaguely at Scotland both wanting and probably needing to rejoin the EU, containing current member Spain*

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The Ukraine thing definitely is pushing my nuclear position to "lots of people should have a couple, but we don't need loads"

Not that I was ever especially bothered about nuclear disarmament anyway but it does seem hard to dispute that not having them puts you at the mercy of people who do.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everybody gets one. Nobody starts anything with anyone else.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

I've always thought that, even before the latest Spiciness. Trouble is you need more than 'a couple' because anti-ballistic-missile systems capable of taking out a couple exist (the US in particular working on them pretty heavily because of North Korea and I guess Iran) and will only get better over time. What you need (and what we have) is basically 'ok you can nuke us down to bedrock but you will definitely lose Moscow and St Petersburg too, is that really worth it to you'.

Also, you need them on nuclear subs to avoid being first-striked, a sufficient number to have at least one at sea at all times, which are themselves pretty expensive, so you might as well stick a reasonable number of ICBMs in them with a reasonable number of MIRV warheads per ICBM.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Well yeah that's what I mean, "is it worth your capital city exploding" seems like enough for a deterrant without reaching "we can explode every city on the planet unilaterally"

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Back on the insulating a stone wall, a quick messing around with some SAP software gives a U value for a foot thick stone wall as about 3.15.

If you were able to build an aircrete block wall directly against the inside of this with no cavity you could lower this U value to 0.78.

If you used equivalent thickness, 100mm PIR insulation board you'd bring it down to 0.21.

Its more complicated than a direct limit to the U-value a wall must achieve, but in England this year they lowered the target U-value of a wall in a new home from 0.30 to 0.26.
The "block wall" I was thinking of would put it at about 0.3 for 100mm extra thickness. Not quite the 0.21 of the PIR alternative, but it's definitely low enough that non-energy considerations start becoming relevant. Of course local building traditions, both old and current, can make a major difference here in terms of how you should approach a renovation. What works in one location, might just be a bad idea in general or prohibitively expensive or risky in another.

feedmegin posted:

I've always thought that, even before the latest Spiciness. Trouble is you need more than 'a couple' because anti-ballistic-missile systems capable of taking out a couple exist (the US in particular working on them pretty heavily because of North Korea and I guess Iran) and will only get better over time. What you need (and what we have) is basically 'ok you can nuke us down to bedrock but you will definitely lose Moscow and St Petersburg too, is that really worth it to you'.

Also, you need them on nuclear subs to avoid being first-striked, a sufficient number to have at least one at sea at all times, which are themselves pretty expensive, so you might as well stick a reasonable number of ICBMs in them with a reasonable number of MIRV warheads per ICBM.
You cut your regular military down to just a guard force that tells the government they're under attack and put up token resistance, then make it clear to everyone else that your response to violations of sovereignty only has one step for escalation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

OwlFancier posted:

Well yeah that's what I mean, "is it worth your capital city exploding" seems like enough for a deterrant without reaching "we can explode every city on the planet unilaterally"

Trouble with this is if we split the nuke fleet up proportionately on a divorce, Scotland gets one (1) boomer. Which means about 50% of the time it's in for refit, maintenance or training and Scotland has zero (0) boomers if poo poo goes down. You really need at least three; we're definitely shaving it fine with our carriers with two (and thank goodness we didn't end up mothballing one of them on completion, thanks Putin I guess?).

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

A Buttery Pastry posted:

The "block wall" I was thinking of would put it at about 0.3 for 100mm extra thickness. Not quite the 0.21 of the PIR alternative, but it's definitely low enough that non-energy considerations start becoming relevant. Of course local building traditions, both old and current, can make a major difference here in terms of how you should approach a renovation. What works in one location, might just be a bad idea in general or prohibitively expensive or risky in another.

Do you have a link to the block you are talking about? All I could see before was a pretty generic aerated block. But if it's something that brings the u value down that much it must be something else entirely?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

The Ukraine thing definitely is pushing my nuclear position to "lots of people should have a couple, but we don't need loads"

Not that I was ever especially bothered about nuclear disarmament anyway but it does seem hard to dispute that not having them puts you at the mercy of people who do.

The majority could be duds though. I think what's important is to show the capability of nukes. The actual nukes are less important, you can bluff them. If one of your nukes is real, that would be enough imo.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

In my arsenal I have nukes, three
Dare you play MAD games with me

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

On the subject of nuclear war, I've been reading "A Canticle for Leibowitz" recently which is a post-apocalyptic social science-fiction novel, and it's really good. It's set some number of centuries after total nuclear war and it's centred around a group of catholic monks who are trying to find, preserve and make sense of written knowledge from the before-times.

It's really clever and funny and also raises some quite interesting philosophical issues. It'd probably be even better if I had more knowledge of the catholic church in general. I recommend it.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

RIP Wilko Johnson

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvjQpPEjP8E

Fuckin bollock head.
Can't come out and give a straight no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GEVnHYBomso

I had a while after seeing them on an Old Grey Whistle Test repeat where I was obsessed with Dr Feelgood, and Wilco was such an amazing guitarist & stage presence. Strutting back and forth strumming his Tele violently & without a pick, holding it in a way that made it look more like an assault rifle.

And the songs. Such gloriously simple blues rock at a time of bands going up their own arsehole with poo poo like King Arthur On Ice.

An exceptionally cool band. Oil City Confidential is a tremendous biopic on them, one of those music films that's so great you don't have to be a fan to enjoy it (or will maybe even make you a fan, like Dig! made me a massive Brian Jonestown Massacre fan)

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Israel have never acknowledged nuclear testing but it's taken for granted that they have it. Japan aren't "allowed" to have nukes but they could obviously manufacture one at will and have nuclear infrastructure ready to go.

Tesseraction
Apr 5, 2009

Japan does not need a nuke it has Gundams

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Lol that Japan aren't allowed one. Like by their own rules fair enough, but otherwise that's pretty poo poo.

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

Tesseraction posted:

Japan does not need a nuke it has Gundams

*Hideo Kojima voice* Yeah but what if you had Gundams that shoot nukes?

Brendan Rodgers
Jun 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Lol that Japan aren't allowed one. Like by their own rules fair enough, but otherwise that's pretty poo poo.

I'm talking about the whole USA situation with Japan agreeing to limit themselves to a "self defense force".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Like if anyone shouldn't be allowed one...