Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
Oh god that felt good. Please let Ricardo end this without anymore bullshit, I'm begging you Mori.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Good good, Let Wally Suffer

SchrodingersCat
Aug 23, 2011
Calling it now: Ricardo beats the poo poo out of Woli, Woli doesn't last the round.

Miguel tells Ippo what the "secret plan" was, Ippo has it in his back pocket for when he fights Ricardo.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...
Genuinely wondering if there are fans out there going "Oh no, poor Wally!" I'd like to believe Morikawa is aware enough but after them framing the ref as being the villain for calling Wally on repeatedly breaking the rules I don't know.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Nilbop posted:

Genuinely wondering if there are fans out there going "Oh no, poor Wally!" I'd like to believe Morikawa is aware enough but after them framing the ref as being the villain for calling Wally on repeatedly breaking the rules I don't know.

I don't think so? The set up seems to be a bit of a swerve where it looks like refereeing might affect things only for it to be largely irrelevant.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
Lmao at the wireframe Wally model having a tail

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
while i enjoyed this chapter, its sorta emblematic of the pacing problems in this fight. we have tons and tons of chapters telling us the same things over and over, then a rapid scurry to the new situation. think it could have been layered more effectively

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
can't believe the ref is helping ricardo by getting in the way of woli's retreat

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Woli is toast

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

hahahaha get hosed woli wooo

I think this fight is fantastic because Ricardo is doing literally the exact opposite of Ippo against the same opponent and it’s being cast as a much better strategy - which is exactly true!

Where Ippo responded by rushing in harder, getting his face wrecked searching for an opening, and trying all bunch of crazy poo poo to land a hit, Ricardo has been doing Literally Nothing, observing and learning, followed by Literally Just The Basics, with no tricks whatsoever. I can’t imagine a better and clearer way to denounce Ippo’s late-career boxing strategy.

I also love this sudden face wreck because A) it casts Ricardo as a fast learning monster, and B) it’s an explosion of energy and i love it. Eight caps of buildup for this was totally worth it.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 22, 2022

Centzon Totochtin
Jan 2, 2009
There is some similarity between this and Ippo's fight against Saeki (I think that was his name? The fast guy) where eventually he just started punching where he was gonna be

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
gently caress! He just got hit repeatedly in the face, that's about as ineffective as things can be. Does Martinez know how to do lovetaps to the side of the abdomen?

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef
Really loving Ricardo's energy in wanting to come up with an ideal counter to Wally on the fly and instead just having to fall back on having literally perfect fundamentals. Like super disappointed to go 'I guess I'll just land flawlessly timed immaculate jabs to his face over and over again' as if that weren't every boxer on Earth's dream.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

i will say it's been pointed out to me that mori's been pretty consistent in these chapters drawing woli getting more tired / sweating / breathing somewhat ragged so thats a nice touch

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Bisse posted:

I think this fight is fantastic because Ricardo is doing literally the exact opposite of Ippo against the same opponent and it’s being cast as a much better strategy - which is exactly true!

If anything it reminded me of David Eagle with the dignified champion focusing on the fundamentals against the best/worst character in the series.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I'm rooting for Wally, want to see how he does now that he's on the back foot. Against Ippo he just abruptly lost, so we never got to see Wally fighting an uphill fight.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Wally's death is imminent

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Super Rad posted:

Really loving Ricardo's energy in wanting to come up with an ideal counter to Wally on the fly and instead just having to fall back on having literally perfect fundamentals. Like super disappointed to go 'I guess I'll just land flawlessly timed immaculate jabs to his face over and over again' as if that weren't every boxer on Earth's dream.

Ricardo wants a step beyond literally immaculate repeated jabs, he wants to be...

One Punch Man

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?
This makes me think of all the "he's throwing punches from such odd angles that can't be predicted" vs "the short, straight shot gets to the target fastest." Except it's shonen so it's monkey's rampaging assault vs pistol shrimp's sonic boom.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

What if Wally makes it back, and he learns of Miguel's final trump card. "Hey, remember that one time you lost? You remember what he did? When you're being punched, that means you are in range to punch himTRADE BLOWS" and then Wally tries that and Ricardo is like lolno my punches are more straightforward, faster and accurate so why would we ever trade and then Wally loses and Ippo will be like "The fundamentals and avoiding damage.......are important!!!!!!" and he takes his second step

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?
I wouldn't be surprised if Wally's trump card is Blanka's Rolling Attack from Street Fighter. His team goes for the Babe/Air Bud defense, saying the rules don't mention that hitting someone with your butt is illegal.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

thank god for Strong Fundamentals

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wally's trump card is he calls his Doctor Doom assist Hidden Missiles and traps Ricardo in an infinite combo

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

Kill Him

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

That should be put on top of the OP.

Edit: Screw it - we can make a new thread in celebration of Wally's imminent removal from the series, and put that in the new OP.

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

TaurusOxford posted:

That should be put on top of the OP.

Edit: Screw it - we can make a new thread in celebration of Wally's imminent removal from the series, and put that in the new OP.

Don't jinx it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Wally's face after being punched looks like he's crying tears of blood or something, his eyes are all hosed up

FutureCop
Jun 7, 2011

Have you heard of Fermat's principle?
Got my hands on the raws and a sneak peek at Wally/Miguel's upcoming final trump card:

Ok, ok, just kidding, it's actually this:

"C'mon referee, not allowing bites? Clearly favoritism!"

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Were there blueprints for other major villains in Ashita no Joe? Could we find a Bryan Hawk-like racist American in there if we dug around enough?

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Probably, but more specifically hawk was pretty much every American wrestler in the 60s in Japan.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Even if Ippo never boxes again he can always try another sport he's shown great affinity for

https://twitter.com/powerslapleague/status/1591165649958883328

Good soup!
Nov 2, 2010

Hajine no Ippo: The Slapping!!

Scallop Eyes
Oct 16, 2021

FutureCop posted:

Got my hands on the raws and a sneak peek at Wally/Miguel's upcoming final trump card:

Ok, ok, just kidding, it's actually this:

"C'mon referee, not allowing bites? Clearly favoritism!"

Harimau at least (probably) inspired Blanka, what good thing has Woli done?

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Nilbop posted:

Were there blueprints for other major villains in Ashita no Joe? Could we find a Bryan Hawk-like racist American in there if we dug around enough?

Nah, Joe never actually fights any Americans in the manga. The anime though adds in an extra late-era Joe fight against a (non-canon) American called Leon Smiley, and it's actually a pretty strong arc in it's own right.

Outright character references that I can tell:

Sendo <-> Joe , Sendo's character design is an explicit reference and he's followed by those kids which is identical to how Joe was followed by a few rugrats
Ricardo Martinez <-> Jose Mendoza , mexican superchampion with a reputation for not taking hits and an unreasonable level of strength (sorta ends at the superficial those, jose is a much more ominous and antagonistic character)
woli <-> harimau , wild child from the jungle with insane acrobatic moves

dr kiniski si the physician in both series that is associated with CTE

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Terper posted:

Even if Ippo never boxes again he can always try another sport he's shown great affinity for

https://twitter.com/powerslapleague/status/1591165649958883328

Good soup! posted:

Hajine no Ippo: The Slappening!!

FTFY

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

new chappy https://hni-scantrad.com/lel/read/hajime-no-ippo/en-us/135/1404/page/1

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Short one today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Wally getting that gritty shot of him getting back to his feet against the cheering crowd only to get linked in the face again might be the most satisfied I’ve felt all week.