Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

cagliostr0 posted:

So when you talk about scumbag animal dictators do you include the ones running the country hosting? Is there a country in the region that isn't run by one?

Theres democratically elected scumbags

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

The Kingfish posted:

Ale, lager, wine, seltzer, rum, whiskey, tequilla,gin, vodka, etc.

Ohh Danny Boy, Danny Boy, Dannyyyy Booooy

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theres democratically elected scumbags

people that vote in scumbags deserve it, families that were installed by the brits in 1930 or w/e aren't the same

NinpoEspiritoSanto posted:

Ohh Danny Boy, Danny Boy, Dannyyyy Booooy

this post is racist and also very funny

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

i say swears online posted:

this post is racist and also very funny

Think you’re missing some context, a song that reminds you of the good times maybe?

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

this post is racist

(heavily pronouncing the H) what

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

qatar 2022: no irish need apply

Tokyo Sexwale
Jul 30, 2003

tubthumping is the rallying cry of anti-irish sentiment, I am learning all sorts of things about the UK

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

qatar 2022: no irish need apply

:sigh:

https://www.udiscovermusic.com/stories/chumbawamba-tubthumping-feature/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2H5uWRjFsGc

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
He drinks a Whiskey drink, he drinks a Vodka drink
He drinks a Lager drink, he drinks a Cider drink
He sings the songs that remind him of the potato blight
He sings the songs that remind him of the oppression of the English landlords

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

are they in the red or in the black? that's all i'm asking

They have the 3rd biggest reserve of natural gas in the world with like 300,000 people to take care of. It’s not really possible for their expenses to outweigh their income short of an instant and total conversion to renewable energy overnight

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

quote:

UK CD single[44]
"Tubthumping"
"Tubthumping" (Butthumping Mix)
"Tubthumping" (Danny Boy Mix)
"Tubthumping" (MAWR Mix/Pablo & Lawrie)
"Tubthumping" (Timeshard Mix)
"Tubthumping" (Gunshot Mix)
UK 7-inch single[45]
A1. "Tubthumping" – 3:33
B1. "Farewell to the Crown" (featuring the Oysterband) – 2:58
lizzy 2 was in danger

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

BIG FLUFFY DOG posted:

They have the 3rd biggest reserve of natural gas in the world with like 300,000 people to take care of. It’s not really possible for their expenses to outweigh their income short of an instant and total conversion to renewable energy overnight

i don't give a poo poo about their oil revenue, i was responding to a post saying the world cup was a financial success when anyone with eyeballs knows it's not

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

The Kingfish posted:

Ale, lager, wine, seltzer, rum, whiskey, tequilla,gin, vodka, etc.

how dare you publish my long island ice tea variation like this

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

i don't give a poo poo about their oil revenue, i was responding to a post saying the world cup was a financial success when anyone with eyeballs knows it's not

It is absolutely a financial success in the metrics the Qataris care about.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

FullLeatherJacket posted:

how dare you publish my long island ice tea variation like this

applebee's is starting a class-action suit on your behalf

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheRat posted:

political success? media success? sure, okay. there's literally only one metric in accounting and it has two colors

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Al-Saqr posted:

Qatar will permanently be in the black because they literally have gods bounty of Liquid Gas, these gulf countries are INSANELY full of liquid cash that’s why they do this insane stuff without being overthrown the next day because they physically can’t go bankrupt and can’t be held accountable

Literally every American large event since and including the 86 Olympics has made buckets of money.

And if Qatar thinks Gulf State dick waggling is useful more power to them, but their competition is local. So what if they have more exposure than Dubai, there's no one in the stands and the whole thing is a farce.

Pook Good Mook fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Nov 24, 2022

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009
Tbf Qatar probably have a legion of grey looking guys whose job it is to make the world cup be a massive commercial success because that's something you can put on a big billboard

In a vacuum and without the existing massive oil profits skewing the figures one would assume it has cost far more money than they would expect to make back from adverts and tourist revenue etc

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

empty stadiums despite literally paying people to show up means fiscal prudence

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

empty stadiums despite literally paying people to show up means fiscal prudence

What point are you even trying to argue here?

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheRat posted:

What point are you even trying to argue here?

they're spending more money than taking in. i refuse to believe that this is controversial

FullLeatherJacket
Dec 30, 2004

Chiunque può essere Luther Blissett, semplicemente adottando il nome Luther Blissett

Pook Good Mook posted:

Literally every American large event since and including the 86 Olympics has made buckets of money.

And if Qatar things Gulf State dick waggling is useful more power to them, but their competition is local. So what if they have more exposure than Dubai, there's no one in the stands and the whole thing is a farce.

no, you don't understand, every morning I call the dude in charge of Bahrain and tell him he's a loser because he doesn't have a World Cup that no-one liked or *checks notes* Roman Reigns vs Logan Paul

everyone will surely respect us now, the Elon Musk of countries

EC10
Jan 17, 2005

We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like Nin-po-po
We like NIN---PO!

TheRat posted:

it absolutely is a financial success according to non-financial metrics

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

vyelkin posted:

It seems like in a lot of cases in Qatar, the bribes aren't just to win votes but to open up ongoing commercial and political relationships. Platini voting for Qatar in 2010 helped cement a lot of enduring ties between France and Qatar, including Qatar buying the football club Paris St. Germain and sinking billions of euros into it, and Qatar purchasing weapons from French arms manufacturers. In a case like that, it seems Qatar didn't even directly bribe Platini with an envelope of cash or anything, they just communicated to Sarkozy that it would be in the best interests of the budding France-Qatar relationship for Platini's French vote to secure the World Cup for Qatar, with the implication being that all those future deals and contracts were at risk if Platini didn't follow through. Same thing for the Thai vote, shortly after the World Cup bidding in which the Thai delegate voted for Qatar, Thailand and Qatar signed a natural gas trade deal.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

they're spending more money than taking in. i refuse to believe that this is controversial

It's not and I'm unsure if you think anyone disagrees with you other than suggesting that in the very long term an event like this will have benefits that will outweigh the capital outlay to build all this expensive poo poo

Or something. I don't know. Someone please post a funny pic of the fan gulag so I can post 'lol' at it, that's more in my wheelhouse

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

International sporting events are never financial successes except for some reason when they’re held in Los Angeles

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Ya but those shenanigans only work once and gas is a fungible commodity. What was Qatar gonna do, not sell their gas and leave it in the ground? Come on.

Those deals were conveniently timed, that's all.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

the sex ghost posted:

an event like this will have benefits that will outweigh the capital outlay to build all this expensive poo poo
it won't

quote:

Or something. I don't know. Someone please post a funny pic of the fan gulag so I can post 'lol' at it, that's more in my wheelhouse
https://www.iloveqatar.net/news/general/man-arrested-in-qatar-for-throwing-qr-500-notes-on-road

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

lol

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

they're spending more money than taking in

I don't think they care

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
yeah, pretending that balanced budgets a real thing is lmao.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Rarity posted:

I don't think they care

i was responding to a post saying it was a financial success aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

i asked if it was true and then everyone jumped out of the woodwork to talk about anything else but accounting

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

why is it hard to envision a country wealthier then God throwing away a trivial amount of money on the offchance they'll make it back over the next 20 years due to the prestige gain. seems like a worthwhile use of their stacks tbh. they weren't doing much else with it, you can only import so many slaves to kill.

TheRat
Aug 30, 2006

i asked if it was true and then everyone jumped out of the woodwork to talk about anything else but accounting

That's because the accounting part is irrelevant

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

TheRat posted:

That's because the accounting part is irrelevant

oh nevermind then. financial success!

Famethrowa posted:

a trivial amount of money on the offchance they'll make it back over the next 20 years

lol

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

because financial success is not just number. It's the Franco-Qatar arms deals and overall relationship. It's the Thai gas export deal. It's the graft.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

karmicknight posted:

because financial success is not just number. It's the Franco-Qatar arms deals and overall relationship. It's the Thai gas export deal. It's the graft.

that's a political success!!!!!! gently caress!

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
it's economics.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

karmicknight posted:

it's economics.

it's certainly not finance. i agree tho!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

L.H.O.O.Q.
Jan 3, 2013

:coal:
I think maybe you could adjust your narrow definition of money to take into account how states use politics, sports, etc etc to affect their finances is intricate and fluid ways rather than just doing their monthly food budgets like people and worrying about money in/money out