Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaddish
Feb 7, 2002

BombiTheZombie posted:

AFAIK there is no friendly fire on Heresy difficulty, Damnation might have it but i havent dipped my toes into it yet.

Apparently Heresy always has the "Increased frequency and size of hordes" modifier active, which explains some of these insane spawnrates. Two crushers, a bulwark, two mutants, three gunners, two shotgunners, a hound and a horde alongside a couple of grenadiers and a bomber. The sheer unfairness of what the game throws at you on difficulty 4 is staggering.

That doesn't sound fun to be honest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I prefer being able to turn venting into emergency healing, especially since you are already getting toughness on kill because the staff trait is venting peril for you.

One thing I'm not liking about Psyker on higher difficulty levels is that special HP scales like crazy while brainburst remains stagnant, on difficulty 4 it takes 2 brainbursts to kill dogs and it was my main tool for getting them off people and tracking the spazzy bastards.

Also poxbursters are my bane with staff/force sword, if they spawn really close I can't burst them fast enough compared to a sharpshooter and I find the shove doesn't consistently stop the detonation if they are jumping.

One thing I don't quite like is that Ogyn is the only character that can revive people like it's vermintide, it's very easy to end up in a failure cascade because a single person went down and there is no way to get them up without clearing everything in the area, compared to VT where you could just hold block and get them up in 1 second in the middle of 200 skavenslaves attacking you.

This is what makes me nervous about higher level play with the Psyker that I'm leveling the most; it really does feel like the brain burst is going to end up being practically useless between the time it takes to charge and the increased weapons damage that you get from just stat buffs. I really wish it scaled off weapon damage or that the relics gave significant bonuses for it, because the whole gimmick is that he can pop heads with one hit on light enemies.

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Kaddish posted:

That doesn't sound fun to be honest.

We had 3 dogs out during a horde during a run last night and went from everyone up and healthy to a full wipe. I don't mind challenge but I'm not sure I'd describe it as hugely fun to just get slam dunked in the trash because you missed dodging a dog pounce once

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
How many dash melee kills do I have to do on mutant for the drat thing to register the penance.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

As I'm trying sharpshooter some more, I do wish the knockback/suppression by regular ranged guys was a little less pronounced, especially if you still got toughness. It can get kinda frustrating if you're trying to thin out a squad of ranged enemies, and even just a single one of then spraying at you completely fucks your aim. Having toughness give you more resistance against that sort of thing would be nice.

CODChimera
Jan 29, 2009

terrorist ambulance posted:

I'm having fun and not worrying too much about the dumb poo poo other people do, would recommend

:same:

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

BombiTheZombie posted:

Apparently Heresy always has the "Increased frequency and size of hordes" modifier active, which explains some of these insane spawnrates. Two crushers, a bulwark, two mutants, three gunners, two shotgunners, a hound and a horde alongside a couple of grenadiers and a bomber. The sheer unfairness of what the game throws at you on difficulty 4 is staggering.

I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

"hey guys don't fight the monster on the stairs, back up"

*team takes too much damage and dies*

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Seems to be canon across games that Nurgle imparts a blessing to jump 20 feet in the air to grab ledges.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Real Cool Catfish posted:

How many dash melee kills do I have to do on mutant for the drat thing to register the penance.

According to the steam achievement, the mutant has to be charging as well, try to aim for that.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Seems to be canon across games that Nurgle imparts a blessing to jump 20 feet in the air to grab ledges.

Nurgle blesses its followers with extreme gas.

Fishstick
Jul 9, 2005

Does not require preheating
Is there actually no way of seeing what your current contract task and progress is? I thought the emporium would show it but it doesnt seem to show the currently active one

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I don't quite like is that Ogyn is the only character that can revive people like it's vermintide, it's very easy to end up in a failure cascade because a single person went down and there is no way to get them up without clearing everything in the area, compared to VT where you could just hold block and get them up in 1 second in the middle of 200 skavenslaves attacking you.

You can actually hold block while rezzing and it works, not against ranged obviously. Stun nades (and to a lesser extent, frag nades) are good rez clearers too, they might not clear everything but its enough stagger around the person that's down that you can sneak in a rez even as vet, unless theyre literally under a pile of bulwarks and maulers or something.

Fishstick fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Nov 23, 2022

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fishstick posted:

Is there actually no way of seeing what your current contract task and progress is? I thought the emporium would show it but it doesnt seem to show the currently active one

All the contracts in the first window for Melk are simultaneously active. You can do 5 total a week per character.

Orv fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Nov 23, 2022

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Sab Sabbington posted:

I get why people might not enjoy this, but this is exactly the kind of poo poo I'm looking for and the reason I play these games on the higher difficulties. Getting into a flow state where you're split-second considering the best order to address tons of priority targets and having it go off successfully as a team is probably the most satisfying thing I've ever felt in a co-op game. I have no doubt a large part of it being fun is because I have a full group of friends I play with consistently and we all have the same kind of broken brain, but I love this poo poo.

For example: The most fun moment I've had so far was a really tight battle with a Beast of Nurgle that I clutched out--or would have if I'd be able to get one more headpop in. Instead it ate me, carried me away, and spit me out into a patrol of ragers and maulers. It loving ruled.
Hell, same. I just had a game on diff 4 where me and another Zealot were the only ones left alive while a massive wave was spawning, but by alternating stun grenades and flamethrowers we've burned down what must've been dozens of ragers, maulers and crushers along with hundreds of zombies. Man that was one hell of an adrenaline trip :black101:

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Exodee posted:

Hell, same. I just had a game on diff 4 where me and another Zealot were the only ones left alive while a massive wave was spawning, but by alternating stun grenades and flamethrowers we've burned down what must've been dozens of ragers, maulers and crushers along with hundreds of zombies. Man that was one hell of an adrenaline trip :black101:

Flamer on zealot is so drat satisfying. I can’t see poo poo about if the horde is actually dead or not but they will be before my tank runs dry!

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
The heavy sword is dogshit, right? Does bad cleave, can't penetrate armor?

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost

DeathSandwich posted:

Background doesn't play into it. The one exception is cutthroat which hard requires you to be cadian in character creation. Seer is always talking to their beloved the Emperor, Savant is always a cop and a local, Brawler ogryn is always explicitly a bone 'ead, ect ect.

Eh, I figured maybe a shrineworld Seer would be more fanatic than a manufactorum Seer. Just like how my shrineworld Savant likes to yap about the patron saint of his homeworld sometimes.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Is it just me or is the Helbore lasgun (the one with the charge and bayonet) kinda bad? I really want to like it because it looks really cool, but it's super cumbersome to use and doesn't really seem to have the damage to make up for it. I guess if I learned exactly how long to charge to guarantee one-shots against various targets it might be worth it, but between the horrid sights and significant aim sway that just seems a recipe for wasting a lot of ammo on what could be easy shots with another weapon.

By comparison, I just found an equal-level stub revolver that just seems flat-out better in the same role. Same (if not better) damage per shot, but also drastically quicker to deploy and also capable of staggering elites.

Schwawa
Jul 28, 2005

explosivo posted:

Was anyone in your party holding a grimoire?

ohh this is definitely what it was. Thanks. Is it explained anywhere in game that grimoires give you corruption? If so, I definitely missed that.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Ah, gotta remember to ADS when using the shotgun, it does offer tighter shot groupings at range with it on.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Difficulty 4 seems “fine” even with people in the early 20s of levels but a bad spawn can totally screw you there. I think 4 is definitely a difficulty that’s scaled for a party at level 30 and ideally with a good weapon set. Attempting it before that will be frustrating but I’m not really concerned about it because it’s definitely the endgame set. Difficulty 5 was only ever a sweaty nerd proposition in V2 when you had max rolled items.

Something that’s super useful is stamina and wounds on your relics. Also stacking health is very helpful, but I don’t know what later relics give because all mine are still blue.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

this game would be dead on arrival without the warhammer license

poo poo's more repetitive than running destiny strikes, it's fun with the friends in the way that pretty much everything is fun with friends, but for the casual observer with no vermintide experience looking in, wait for reviews and broader public opinions because there's not a lot of game here and what is here is largely broken or poorly made

the soundtrack and 40k aesthetic are doing a lot of heavy lifting

Floppychop
Mar 30, 2012

Real Cool Catfish posted:

I just got that like 10 mins after complaining about not getting it in this thread.

How I ended up doing it was I started a heavy attack, charged at the mutant while it was charging, and released the heavy attack into his head before I stopped moving. It's really tight timing and I think my problem before was hitting the mutant after my charge was technically over, even though I had the crit buff.

Exodee
Mar 30, 2011

Damp and depressing.
It must be a goon in its
natural habitat!

Demiurge4 posted:

Something that’s super useful is stamina and wounds on your relics. Also stacking health is very helpful, but I don’t know what later relics give because all mine are still blue.
Getting at least one extra wound is definitely recommended, since you only have 2 by default on Heresy. Otherwise I like stacking toughness relics though, but that's because I have a bunch of toughness generating feats/weapon perks that work with percentages.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Wheeee posted:

poo poo's more repetitive than running destiny strikes, it's fun with the friends in the way that pretty much everything is fun with friends, but for the casual observer with no vermintide experience looking in, wait for reviews and broader public opinions because there's not a lot of game here and what is here is largely broken or poorly made

Games gonna be huge.

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008

Perestroika posted:

Is it just me or is the Helbore lasgun (the one with the charge and bayonet) kinda bad? I really want to like it because it looks really cool, but it's super cumbersome to use and doesn't really seem to have the damage to make up for it. I guess if I learned exactly how long to charge to guarantee one-shots against various targets it might be worth it, but between the horrid sights and significant aim sway that just seems a recipe for wasting a lot of ammo on what could be easy shots with another weapon.

By comparison, I just found an equal-level stub revolver that just seems flat-out better in the same role. Same (if not better) damage per shot, but also drastically quicker to deploy and also capable of staggering elites.

I think it's a close run thing, honestly. I think you get more ammo overall with the Helbore than with the revolver, and I think you get more shots per-clip if you aren't charging to full for each shot, which you don't need to to one-shot trash mobs. The bayonet is handy, certainly more useful than the pistol-whip. And it reloads a hell of a lot quicker than the revolver. It feels to me like it's more practical to use if you're encountering like, moderately sized groups of mixed dudes -- you can charge-shot a couple of the bigger ones, fire a couple of half-charge shots into the leftovers as they approach, then bayonet the couple who reach melee range.

I feel like it's kind of a half-way point between the revolver and the standard lasgun. Overall I do think it's worse than the revolver (which is probably a bit too good, honestly), but I don't think it's terrible.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Wheeee posted:

Gotta agree. I played a lot of l4d2 and a bit of Vermintide, but this really doesn’t seem ready for general release as is. I know they’re really using this as a broader beta but there should really be more meat on these bones by this point.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The actual game play is way more fun than L4D to me, like all the guns and melee is fantastic. The base gameplay is fantastic.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Jerkface posted:

The actual game play is way more fun than L4D to me, like all the guns and melee is fantastic. The base gameplay is fantastic.

Yeah much like vermintide before it the core gameplay of bashing through hordes of enemies is good enough to withstand repeated runs of the same map. Horn of Magnus is all I have to say.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Jerkface posted:

I think genuinely the gameplay is grabbing a ton of people, its a more popular setting than war hammer fantasy was, its the first shooter to let you be a guardsman the series has had, and it looks and sounds fantastic.

That's not being dismissive of peoples issues, I just genuinely think the games gonna be a way bigger success than vermintide had a chance at, and definitely is going to have a longer tail than any other l4d clone.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
this game will only be popular because people are sheep :smuggo:

The_White_Crane
May 10, 2008
Yeah, although it feels lacking in content just now, the actual second-to-second gameplay of Shooting And Hitting Dudes is very good. Everything feels nicely kinetic and punchy, and I like the variety of enemies. The mix of ranged/melee is really nice, and I appreciate how it makes you change up your play.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
We'll see with the full release of all maps and whatever else Fatshark has in store. But as of right now, it does feel like the bottom falls out a bit once you hit 30, there's not really much else to aim for.

I'd also like to express some disappointment in the low variance of side objectives and modifiers. They could do a lot to keep maps fresh, but as it stands we only have the tomes/grims that's basically lifted directly from VT, and a handful of modifiers, none of which are all that interesting.
There's a lot of potential here, and I'm sure they can work with it in the future, but as it stands it feels a bit lackluster.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
My dream of being a generic Imperial Guardsman has been achieved.

pizzabutt
Jul 19, 2022

Floppychop posted:

I just got that like 10 mins after complaining about not getting it in this thread.

How I ended up doing it was I started a heavy attack, charged at the mutant while it was charging, and released the heavy attack into his head before I stopped moving. It's really tight timing and I think my problem before was hitting the mutant after my charge was technically over, even though I had the crit buff.

I think I got the penance from killing a mutant the same way (precharging a heavy attack and then using the ability while locked on to the mutant) but I did it right after it finished charging/grabbing somebody.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

It feels like when the perks come down to 30 it's going to be mandatory for every team to have a vet not just for the ammo but for the other team perks. Seems like he has a lot of "give teammates X on Y", from ammo to targeting to grenades.

Wheeee posted:

Yeah the game would be a lot different if the level and character design, soundtrack, plot, weapons, and general tone were different.

CuddleCryptid fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 24, 2022

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
While I do not blame people for judging things on what is available here and now, I will personally wait until all the available missions are out. But the fact that we are a week away from release and we do not even have half of those missions due to various issues, on top of all the other technical problems...I like how it plays and want this game to be good on release but this doesn't bode well.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh the fragstorm buff seems like it made a big difference, it applies the bleed to anything even touched by the aoe of the explosion, which is way higher than the killing radius, and the bleeds stack and at level 25 seems to go up to 30 a tick for people in flak.

Not sure If that makes it better than the extra crit chance and recoil control depending on how you play though.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CuddleCryptid posted:

Yeah the game would be a lot different if the level and character design, soundtrack, plot, weapons, and general tone were different.

you become extremely defensive and weird about this game whenever someone criticizes it, it's okay that not everyone shares your lack of standards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I think there's going to be a big rush to buy the game, a lot of people will bounce off it - bugs, difficulty, lack of polish, just fundamentally misunderstanding the genre - and there will be another six month period of "lol Darktide". This is the cycle of all highly anticipated games now. poo poo's like clockwork.

If Fatshark responds to that will determine the long term health of the game.