Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

There are a lot of dumb fish and I love it. Just stupid single-stage idiot fish. Bruxish, Alomoloma, Luvdisc. I caught a grass-Tera luvdisc, what am I meant to do with it? Stupid thing. I called it Corazon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

this guy’s never heard of Tera Blast, smdh

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Pretzel Rod Stewart posted:

this guy’s never heard of Tera Blast, smdh

It's a LUVDISC

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I love that Tera Types introduce the question of whether you double down on STAB, buff up a coverage move, or flip the script on a type matchup with a defensive type change. I think its my favorite gimmick now, tbh.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

The Bee posted:

I love that Tera Types introduce the question of whether you double down on STAB, buff up a coverage move, or flip the script on a type matchup with a defensive type change. I think its my favorite gimmick now, tbh.

It is going to add A LOT of variables to competitive. Which is pretty refreshing.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

if only it looked better

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The Bee posted:

I caught a Jigglypuff with Water Tera type and Water Pulse and Competitive as her ability and she’s by best friend now. Might have been a fixed encounter, I don’t really care.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I like some of the Tera-type hats but some are incredibly low effort and bad.

They also clip on a ton of Pokemon including one of the Starters and Pikachu so lol

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
The hats are a necessary evil. The type colors can get hella samey, especially if you just put a crystalized texture or Super Saiyan aura around a model.

They could be done better but so could 99% of SV's visuals.

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

Just watched a Spidops drop down from a tree in an attempt to hunt a toedscool who panicked and went running away on its dumb little legs. I love they've added little bits of flavor text to make the world feel more alive.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Bee posted:

I finally got enough shards to Flying Tera my Roaring Moon and having STAB Acrobatics on something with that much power is MEAN. I love it.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

The Bee posted:

The hats are a necessary evil. The type colors can get hella samey, especially if you just put a crystalized texture or Super Saiyan aura around a model.

They could be done better but so could 99% of SV's visuals.

I'm imagining a similar, but less stupid approach could have been using the hats as looming "auras" that kind of appear above or behind the Pokémon, like a Jojo stand

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I love how the battle music flows into the field music. It's especially cool in the area on the east near the grass gym (with Taurus running around). A nice Spanish flair going on there.

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Kyrosiris posted:

I finally got enough shards to Flying Tera my Roaring Moon and having STAB Acrobatics on something with that much power is MEAN. I love it.

Is Booster Energy consumed on usecfor its stat boost like a berry or a gem, or does it stick around like a life orb?

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

I'm sure this has been covered but if a dual type pokemon has a third type as tera, they could have STAB moves of three different types, right? But defensively they'd just be the single tera type?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

Breadallelogram posted:

I'm sure this has been covered but if a dual type pokemon has a third type as tera, they could have STAB moves of three different types, right? But defensively they'd just be the single tera type?

Exactly how it works, I believe. So tera typing into a type that fills the gaps in your existing STABs, or a type whose weaknesses are checked by your STABs, can be very potent.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

I believe this is correct. You keep your old STAB and the new type STAB is 2x instead of 1.5x.

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Breadallelogram posted:

Yeah. 1.5x for all three STABs. If the Tera is one of their two types, they get a 2x STAB for that and maintain 1.5 for the other

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Do we know how it stacks with things like Adaptability?

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

The Bee posted:

Is Booster Energy consumed on usecfor its stat boost like a berry or a gem, or does it stick around like a life orb?

It is used up and thus you get full 110 power Acro with STAB at +1 Atk. :getin:

FewtureMD
Dec 19, 2010

I am very powerful, of course.

HopperUK posted:

That's quite a good shiny IMO.

I wish more shinies were drastic. The grass starter's line is really underwhelming.

Shiny Rellor is my latest obsession

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Me looking for all those glitches people are talking about :

https://twitter.com/kocha8164/status/1594698507033640963

There's definitely something about playing for a longer time causing more glitches. I only usually play for an hour or so, but yesterday I played for three hours and saw a part of a tree running on the ground. (No, it wasn't a Sudowoodo)

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I was playing for a while this morning and there were definitely some mountain textures moving as I moved, making it look like the earth itself was shifting. It was trippy. Should have taken a clip of it.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

holy cow this tunnel was empty when I ran in, battled a salandit, turned around and the tunnel was full of sableeyes. Creepy little fuckers, that was great.

I got a ice tera Salandit and I was sure it would be male because of course it would be, but no! It's a girl! I'm so proud of her. Not sure if it really does anything for her in competitive terms.

I was watching Wolfe play earlier and on his wishlist was a fairy-type Mashiff evo. I've got one of those, can someone who knows more tell me why that's so good?

Flopsy
Mar 4, 2013

HopperUK posted:

holy cow this tunnel was empty when I ran in, battled a salandit, turned around and the tunnel was full of sableeyes. Creepy little fuckers, that was great.

I got a ice tera Salandit and I was sure it would be male because of course it would be, but no! It's a girl! I'm so proud of her. Not sure if it really does anything for her in competitive terms.

I was watching Wolfe play earlier and on his wishlist was a fairy-type Mashiff evo. I've got one of those, can someone who knows more tell me why that's so good?

Coverage I think.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
I had the elite 4 BGM bug too, and various visible pokeballs sticking out of the ground during cutscenes. A real shame that the game got shoved out in such a hurry because it's really fun to play, just a couple of months of polish would have done it wonders.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Oh grass-tera numel! That one I do think is good cause it's coverage against the quad water issue, right?

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!

HopperUK posted:

Oh grass-tera numel! That one I do think is good cause it's coverage against the quad water issue, right?

Fire checks Grass' Bug and Ice weaknesses. Ground checks Poison and Fire. Throw on STAB Solar Beam in preparation for Scarlet's love of Sun teams and you might actually be cooking with something here.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

The Bee posted:

Fire checks Grass' Bug and Ice weaknesses. Ground checks Poison and Fire. Throw on STAB Solar Beam in preparation for Scarlet's love of Sun teams and you might actually be cooking with something here.

Thanks! I thought it sounded nice. I shall call her Freesia.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
Did anyone else find a wandering glowing normal-tera Torkoal in regions vaguely to the west of school?

Drought is so handy this generation, as are fire types... is Normal a good tera type for Torkoal, for STAB Rapid Spin and Explosion?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
torkoal generally wants to invest in special attack if it's going offensive so probably not no.

Xander B Coolridge
Sep 2, 2011

HopperUK posted:

If he was talking about its terra type it's because fairy synergizes pretty well against the Pokémon dark is weak to.

Maschiff is also an intimidate mon, which is an inherently good ability

Lux Animus posted:

Did anyone else find a wandering glowing normal-tera Torkoal in regions vaguely to the west of school?

Drought is so handy this generation, as are fire types... is Normal a good tera type for Torkoal, for STAB Rapid Spin and Explosion?

Torkoal is gonna want terra fire to maximize its damage output (ideally under trick room)

2x charcoal-boosted STAB Eruption under sun is... I mean you don't even have to run damage calcs to know that's going to hurt even mons that resist it. This might be the year I breed for trick room IVs.

Kyogre will be even more broken

Xander B Coolridge fucked around with this message at 21:51 on Nov 23, 2022

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
electric tera type hydreigon with levitate seems pretty good?

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Also Water Tera Scizor or Ghost Tera Tyranitar.

EDIT: And Ground Tera Gyarados.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Nemona you kind of creep me out

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She just wants to be fightin

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

The Big Monkey!
Nemona is basically just Goku.

Lux Anima
Apr 17, 2016

Dinosaur Gum
I dunno, at the end of the fight with Nemona around the halfway-thru-the-gyms mark, the way she was playing with her green hair strand made her appear pretty smitten with the PC. Also the dialogue just before that battle she conducted with another NPC made it seem like she was fighting over the PC a little bit, in a way intended to make it sound like she had feelings growing for the PC.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

She's only got feelings for fightin

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009

Macaluso posted:

Nemona you kind of creep me out

Japan's decided she's Hisoka so you're not alone