Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Death of Prime posted:

My father in law gave me his record player from the 70s. It's a Philips 312. He tells me the only bad part on it is the stylus. I was able to disconnect it from the 4 wires behind it but with some googling I can't seem to find a replacement. All I come up with its a small plastic piece with the needle, but I assume I need the whole assembly.

I don't know too much about this other than what I can find on YouTube, sorry for my ignorance.

The small plastic piece with the needle is the stylus. That's likely all you need. They're easy to swap out without disconnecting anything. What you have in your hand is the whole cartridge. You COULD replace that with a completely different cartridge but it shouldn't be needed.

Cool turntable btw.

edit: since your cartridge is disconnected now, be careful when screwing it back in that it's aligned correctly. There are printable turntable protractors out there that are easy to use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Death of Prime posted:

My father in law gave me his record player from the 70s. It's a Philips 312. He tells me the only bad part on it is the stylus. I was able to disconnect it from the 4 wires behind it but with some googling I can't seem to find a replacement. All I come up with its a small plastic piece with the needle, but I assume I need the whole assembly.

I don't know too much about this other than what I can find on YouTube, sorry for my ignorance.

The whole assembly is called a cartridge. The stylus is a smaller piece that you remove from the front of the cartridge and it contains the needle. A replacement stylus might be cheaper than replacing the entire cartridge.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Death of Prime posted:

Just punch that serial into the search box at ebay, for one

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

CPL593H posted:

Sell me some poo poo.

Door opens with a creaking sound, "Enterrr"

RN, at my SA mart page the only records I'm listing is this like-new copy of the Ring cycle I found, and I'm also going to be listing that direct drive turntable at sa mart. I'm trying to not metastasize my selling activities to my other threads though, so please go there and have a look. I will announce it here when I list a few records and that turntable. A lot of my interests are musical or music adjacent though, so I'd invite all of you to take a look at

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016919

I'm starting to unpack some albums, I've kept all my records in crates till now, I just got a bunch of cabinets for them.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

wa27 posted:

I picked up the Arctic Monkeys latest album, Use Your Illusion II, and the 2lp Creedence Chronicles greatest hits.

That’s wild they would call their new record that. Didn’t they know there was already a Guns N Roses album of the same name?

;)

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

petit choux posted:

Door opens with a creaking sound, "Enterrr"

RN, at my SA mart page the only records I'm listing is this like-new copy of the Ring cycle I found, and I'm also going to be listing that direct drive turntable at sa mart. I'm trying to not metastasize my selling activities to my other threads though, so please go there and have a look. I will announce it here when I list a few records and that turntable. A lot of my interests are musical or music adjacent though, so I'd invite all of you to take a look at

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4016919

I'm starting to unpack some albums, I've kept all my records in crates till now, I just got a bunch of cabinets for them.

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
got the L.S. Dunes debut album. Love the blue. It's got a marbled look to it that doesn't come across as nicely in picture as it does in person, but it's also not as marbled as the store preview picture did. This was the 1500 limited pressing, as well, but I also think the standard orange vinyl pressing they did looks nice too, at least in the store preview.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Hit up the other Wal Mart and got Taylor Swift Red 4xLP for $15, the new Revolver mix, Zeppelin Coda, and Rolling Stones Hot Rocks 2xLP. Sadly no Use Your Illusion 1 so my collection will remain incomplete.

There's some really good deals out there for the multi-disc sets if you find a Walmart that hasn't been picked over.

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

wa27 posted:

Taylor Swift Red 4xLP for $15,

You shouldn't have bought that. I heard that it's not even her singing on the album. It's just some guy with a really deep voice.

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"

CPL593H posted:

You shouldn't have bought that. I heard that it's not even her singing on the album. It's just some guy with a really deep voice.

[Bursts into thread] Y'ALL TALKING ABOUT VAPORWAVE IN HERE?!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Bit of an early Christmas present for myself, gonna be happy to finally have all my records in one location again. Right now they are spread around in 3 different rooms in the house.

Ikea OBEGRÄNSAD

Was going to go with just a regular Kallax, but they have been out of stock forever it seems like.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

Bit of an early Christmas present for myself, gonna be happy to finally have all my records in one location again. Right now they are spread around in 3 different rooms in the house.

Ikea OBEGRÄNSAD

Was going to go with just a regular Kallax, but they have been out of stock forever it seems like.

The standard Kallax setup kind of sucks if you want more than just a receiver and a turntable in your setup. It would be nice to have the extra shelves for a tape and CD player.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

wa27 posted:

The standard Kallax setup kind of sucks if you want more than just a receiver and a turntable in your setup. It would be nice to have the extra shelves for a tape and CD player.

Yeah, kinda sucks paying nearly double for those shelves but will be very nice to have a spot for my tape deck and a CD player.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
At one point I was trying to move away from Ikea furniture and try and make my place look more adult, but as I started buying other brands, I realized that Ikea products are often very good quality, and shelves like this one are absolutely perfect for records. And much of the furniture industry has tried to imitate Ikea with flat packing and MDF wood, even pricey stores like Crate and Barrel and West Elm. I spent years trying to find the perfect entertainment stand to house all my movies and game systems, when I finally just custom made one through Ikea that perfectly suited my needs and looks good. Yeah, it's not as nice looking as that $900 piece I had my eye on forever at CB2, but it's more functional, and half the price.

u_s_eh
Feb 19, 2005

I AM ALL I AM NONE
I got Kallax knockoffs from Walmart. My first 16 cube one was fine, although a pain to assemble by myself. I got a second set but haven’t assembled it yet. There are a lot of pissed off recent reviews on Walmart site saying the build quality has gone down and the dimensions are smaller… I’ll see if I can get it together and report back.

These are just for storing records, my turntable etc are elsewhere

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And those guys at the forum said it couldn't be done, ha ha! Thrift store for fitty sents, read em and weep:

Now that I think of it, I wonder if they made a movie of this

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

And those guys at the forum said it couldn't be done, ha ha! Thrift store for fitty sents, read em and weep:

Now that I think of it, I wonder if they made a movie of this

Vince Welnick from the Tubes went on to be the worst keyboard player in the Grateful Dead before dying

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Vince Welnick from the Tubes went on to be the worst keyboard player in the Grateful Dead before dying

I mostly just remember they were one of the best things on mtv at the time. That said, mtv at the time. Really looking forward to this one.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Even with the Euro collapsing compared to USD shipping from Spain :negative:

Whatever finally got some Sr. Chinarro. Destroyer did an EP of covers which was great because they're terrific https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=52V5Q0MBLxs

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

This stuff is really unique. Has kind of a Broadway feel to it. When I was a kid I loved the song Prime Time so much, I imagine the video was from this performance or one much like it. I didn't realize that they tried to make a "show" like some kind of musical. It's really clever and witty here and there, but the music leaves me feeling like Andrew Lloyd Weber could have composed it. But it still gives a glimpse into how we perceived the world back then. Has a peculiar "theatre kids" feel to it.

petit choux fucked around with this message at 22:43 on Nov 23, 2022

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

This stuff is really unique. Has kind of a Broadway feel to it. When I was a kid I loved the song Prime Time so much, I imagine the video was from this performance or one much like it. I didn't realize that they tried to make a "show" like some kind of musical. It's really clever and witty here and there, but the music leaves me feeling like Andrew Lloyd Weber could have composed it. But it still gives a glimpse into how we perceived the world back then.

If you want more Tubes I have a few. Not my cup of tea, but media mail is cheap!

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

If you want more Tubes I have a few. Not my cup of tea, but media mail is cheap!

Yeah your previous post on them didn't sound like the highest rec LOOL

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
my copy of Bright Eyes - Lifted Or The Story Is In The Soil, Keep Your Ear To The Ground got shipped. Pretty excited, I preordered the yellow/black pressing a while back. Pretty excited, it'll be the fourth album of Bright Eyes I've bought on vinyl.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

Oh, here's one of the $5 shelf units I got for my records, very rough but solid. Like I said, they sat in the elements for weeks or months and suffered little or no damage, which I decided was a point in their favor:

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

And I paid 40 on this one but it's kinda okay:

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

Yours for the taking if you like them!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

petit choux posted:

The Tubes aren't bad but they disappoint me because the actual music doesn't live up to the funny song titles or all those crap pictures of them in BDSM gear and poo poo. They also appear in Xanadu in what's the best scene in the movie if you've not seen it, it's not a good movie but I kind of love this bit).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ts9GdyGD5e4

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Stupid Foo Fighters and stupid Record Store Days. I already have plans for Friday of the non-shopping kind, and they’re releasing the Dream Widow album as some kind of RSD Black Friday thing.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
some of the albums i picked up when i didn't have a record player

I'm pretty excited to listen to these

Read After Burning
Feb 19, 2013

"All this, for me? 💃Ah, you didn't have to! 🥰"
I had two cocktails and then swung by the record store while my partner went comic shopping and got these:

Had to laugh as I remembered there's several artists named Felt, and went "WHICH FELT ALBUM?!" at a goon who was definitely not talking about the hip hop duo.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cloks posted:

Wilco's A Ghost Is Born turns 20 in 2024 and, while it hasn't been announced, Wilco have been reissuing all of their records in remastered box sets for their 20 year anniversaries so I assume AGIB will get the same treatment. I only just recently picked up the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot box set and its great. Definitely looking forward to getting AGIS's hypothetical box set

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Cloks posted:

Do you have a record player now?

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

I know you said I could get 100 for that nice turntable I showed you but I tried and now I'm coming back around to maybe keeping it.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

BigFactory posted:

i have a pro-ject debut carbon, it's nice.

Happy Hippo posted:

Wilco's A Ghost Is Born turns 20 in 2024 and, while it hasn't been announced, Wilco have been reissuing all of their records in remastered box sets for their 20 year anniversaries so I assume AGIB will get the same treatment. I only just recently picked up the Yankee Hotel Foxtrot box set and its great. Definitely looking forward to getting AGIS's hypothetical box set

i got the Yankee hotel Foxtrot boxset and I've been looking at the summerteeth one as well. I'd been listening to various demos and bootlegs for years and it's great to hear all those snoozers cleaned up and in chronological order.

CaptainBeefart
Mar 28, 2016

I don't buy many box sets but I'd be very interested in A Ghost Is Born.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

I know you said I could get 100 for that nice turntable I showed you but I tried and now I'm coming back around to maybe keeping it.

Did you try eBay or just local sales?

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Cloks posted:

i have a pro-ject debut carbon, it's nice.

i got the Yankee hotel Foxtrot boxset and I've been looking at the summerteeth one as well. I'd been listening to various demos and bootlegs for years and it's great to hear all those snoozers cleaned up and in chronological order.

For the last drat near 20 years I thought that the song Shakin' Sugar was called Alone. It's easily one of my favorite tracks that didn't make the album. Lots of great snoozers in that box, really looking forward to picking up A Ghost Is Born in a couple of years

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

BigFactory posted:

Did you try eBay or just local sales?

ebay. Hardly any views even at 100. I might sell it, as you know I've got several, it sure looks good in the living room though.

Now have attained the wife's approval on the plywood shelves and they fit the room perfectly. Going to have all the vinyl unpacked by Monday, I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

petit choux posted:

ebay. Hardly any views even at 100. I might sell it, as you know I've got several, it sure looks good in the living room though.

That’s too bad! Did you promote it?