Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cleretic posted:

It probably says a lot about me that I either haven't encountered or noticed most of the things people are actually complaining about, but this specific thing is what bothers me most about it: they made one of the gym leaders a streamer, and then wrote her COMPLETELY wrong.

Iona's clearly designed and presented specifically like a vtuber; when you see her actual stream layout it's framed the right way, her design's so pitch-perfect for it that you can actually pinpoint a few elements that show who they were inspired by, and overall the visual design is just absolutely nailing it. But the writing lets her down entirely, basically just writing her as a 'pop idol' character (very clear Splatoon vibes, actually) with a bunch of lines about likes, subscribes, viewers and the like. It actually reads like the writers hadn't just not watched any vtubers, but any streamers at all, because they completely missed the part where a huge part of the appeal even with vtubers is that you're just hanging out with a real person, even if they're playing things up for the audience.

I know Pokemon's not exactly known for realistically-written characters, but Iona feels like she was written to be overtly and deliberately fake and 'stage persona', despite being given a job that's largely known for (at least feigned) authenticity.

you're annoyed that the character based on a job that's built on feigned authenticity has the character be overtly and deliberately feigning authenticity?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 53 minutes!

ilmucche posted:

you're annoyed that the character based on a job that's built on feigned authenticity has the character be overtly and deliberately feigning authenticity?

Oh, no, my problem is she's not even faking authenticity. None of it reads like something a streamer would do or say, it all just reads like they wrote a cartoony pop star character and then just had her drop Streamer Lingo, assuming it carries over. And it really doesn't, her persona is too thin and fake to even be a vtuber. It feels like she never for a single second goes 'off-script' and stops saying extremely canned lines, when if you were writing a character like that more accurately she should sound instead like she's constantly doing improv.

Sorry, I've realized I might've not gotten that across quite right.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 12:52 on Nov 23, 2022

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Cleretic posted:

Oh, no, my problem is she's not even faking authenticity. None of it reads like something a streamer would do or say, it all just reads like they wrote a cartoony pop star character and then just had her drop Streamer Lingo, assuming it carries over. And it really doesn't, her persona is too thin and fake to even be a vtuber.

Vic posted:

My dude...

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Her gym battle made me want a skip cutscene button

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

What you're saying is that streamers keep kayfabe, and she wasn't?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Cleretic posted:

Oh, no, my problem is she's not even faking authenticity. None of it reads like something a streamer would do or say, it all just reads like they wrote a cartoony pop star character and then just had her drop Streamer Lingo, assuming it carries over. And it really doesn't, her persona is too thin and fake to even be a vtuber. It feels like she never for a single second goes 'off-script' and stops saying extremely canned lines, when if you were writing a character like that more accurately she should sound instead like she's constantly doing improv.

Unless she looks wildly different in her gym battle than she looks in her videos (haven't played the game yet, just seen the trailer with her)... she's not a vtuber, she's just a streamer. Yes, I'm going to be pedantic about this, because using an avatar is literally the defining trait of a vtuber. "Oh no, her stuff comes off as canned, prerehearsed dialogue! Unlike most "professional" streamers who... all go off of scripts and do multiple takes."

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

The Lone Badger posted:

What you're saying is that streamers keep kayfabe, and she wasn't?

No, I'm saying that she's way stricter about her kayfabe than any streamers are, which ironically breaks the purpose of it. And it's the wrong kayfabe for the presented persona on top of it.

It's like if the WWE wrote John Cena in exactly the same way as they wrote the Undertaker, but still kept trying to say he's John Cena.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Len posted:

Her gym battle made me want a skip cutscene button

You mean you can't use adblock!?

Randalor
Sep 4, 2011

Wait, does she had awkwardly and semi-randomly placed ads for the sponsor of that gym battle partway through it? Does she go on about safely shaving your Bidoof with Pokescaper?

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I got a hankering for some old school pokemon gameplay in a new jacket so I started on Sword. The last one I played was on the GBA I think, and the new open world stuff doesn't appeal to me for some reason.

Anyway, I had forgotten how much of a slog the first half hour/hour is. It just takes forever to get into the actual gameplay of catching pokemon and fighting. Just gimme my drat started and some pokeballs and let me on my way already. These endless talks with everyone that take forever because everything just pauses for every minor animation is a drag. Also does every game need a little story at the start whetr you have to go somewhere, stuff happens, and you have to go back before you even get a pokemon?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Randalor posted:

Wait, does she had awkwardly and semi-randomly placed ads for the sponsor of that gym battle partway through it? Does she go on about safely shaving your Bidoof with Pokescaper?

"Well chat, I'm down to my last 3 pokemon! Before I send out my next one, let me thank today's sponsor NordVPN!"

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

Randalor posted:

Does she go on about safely shaving your Bidoof with Pokescaper?

fuckin lol

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

Cleretic posted:

(very clear Splatoon vibes, actually)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm with Cleretic, this thread stinks of old man yelling at evolving mediums he doesn't understand lol. Popular streamers don't even read notifications aloud because they would spend the vast majority of their streams doing that as they roll in every time someone's monthly subscription recurs. It sounds to me like they really whiffed the Pokemon example and were inspired by the wrong line of work, because it's the JOKE that streamers do that, successful ones don't actually because it'd be really annoying.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:35 on Nov 23, 2022

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

I think these are the cutscenes in question

https://youtu.be/X7xX5Rk_G58

https://youtu.be/_jzO4pIVb6M

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yeah that's definitely Borderlands 3 style where they heard about streamers but didn't watch nearly enough to write one.

This is pure Splatoon imo.

edit: Not that either Pokemon or Borderlands are about nuanced characters. Just that they beefed the archetype. I really like the Magneton hair buns though.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 18:51 on Nov 23, 2022

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

CJacobs posted:

Yeah that's definitely Borderlands 3 style where they heard about streamers but didn't watch nearly enough to write one.

My idea of the perfect "streamer" is a person who plays a game, a person I cannot see, and they shut the gently caress up the entire time. I never see my kind of streamers depicted in games.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
edit: Misunderstood. But the reason that kind of streamer isn't represented in video games is because there's no visual personality (different from playing a character imo). Those streams still accept donations and subscribers.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 19:07 on Nov 23, 2022

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Fwiw I fully admit that streaming is probably just something that passed me by. I do watch streams, usually when I want to play Jackbox with people, but there are so many parts of it that I just struggle to understand the appeal of. Even when people have tried to explain countermeasures, vtubers, notifications etc to me, I usually end up just drawing a blank. I think I prefer LP style because I can just throw an episode on while I eat or whatever. No biggie.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

credburn posted:

My idea of the perfect "streamer" is a person who plays a game, a person I cannot see, and they shut the gently caress up the entire time. I never see my kind of streamers depicted in games.

why would you care about watching that live, when there's absolutely 0 commentary or interaction
just watch longplays on youtube
but also why watch longplays on youtube when you could just read screenshot lets plays in the let's play subforum

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

why would you care about watching that live, when there's absolutely 0 commentary or interaction
just watch longplays on youtube
but also why watch longplays on youtube when you could just read screenshot lets plays in the let's play subforum

Can't put a screenshot lp in the background while I work.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
twitch streams really are the modern day talk radio just with irrelevant videogame stuff in the background

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Vtubers usually have really outre senses of humor and stupid gimmicks. If she isn't eating Bug-type pokemon or talking about how she's gonna gently caress your mom, she's not a vtuber.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Pokemon really should know by now that their core audience is 50+ year old men

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

kazil posted:

Yeah, what kind of 7 year old has 67$/143/Australian anyway? Pretty suspicious.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
is she really a "vtuber"? the whole point of being a "vtuber" is that you replace your face with a ridiculous anime character wearing a weird outfit. but EVERY character in pokemon is a ridiculous anime character wearing a weird outfit. so the concept of a "vtuber" makes no sense within the world of pokemon.

see, this looks like a wacky vtuber avatar, but it's clearly supposed to be an actual person standing in some city square

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

kazil posted:

Pokemon is that weird phenomenon where it is and always will be super appealing to kids and then there’s me, the schlub who was 12 when Gen 1 came out and always wants that pikachu or whatever.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010
Probation

CJacobs posted:

This is pure Splatoon imo.

edit: Not that either Pokemon or Borderlands are about nuanced characters. Just that they beefed the archetype. I really like the Magneton hair buns though.

Technically it's Magnemites, because there's only two. But yeah, the design honestly nails it, especially taking her as essentially a vtuber that's actually like that instead of a virtual avatar. They just completely bombed the actual writing in a way that shows the writers don't have any experience with streamers at all, even if I suspect the artists did. Again; they wrote a Splatoon pop star, put in throwaway lines about likes and subscribes, and assumed that would work, while completely missing that the character wouldn't talk like that at all.

But yeah, turns out she whiffs in a way that only reads as wrong to people who actually have any experience with that medium; to people who completely ignore that whole medium she reads like a streamer, because she's already written like how people who don't know livestreaming think streamers are like.

DontMockMySmock posted:

is she really a "vtuber"? the whole point of being a "vtuber" is that you replace your face with a ridiculous anime character wearing a weird outfit. but EVERY character in pokemon is a ridiculous anime character wearing a weird outfit. so the concept of a "vtuber" makes no sense within the world of pokemon.

see, this looks like a wacky vtuber avatar, but it's clearly supposed to be an actual person standing in some city square

She's not literally a vtuber, but she is basically a vtuber. She lives in a world where that design is plausible, so she's a regular streamer (except that she acts nothing like streamers) that happens to look like what we'd recognize as a vtuber. I assumed this wasn't difficult for people to wrap their head around, but apparently it is.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 23:59 on Nov 23, 2022

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I don't know how you missed this but the entirety of pokémon dialogue is throw away text. Also

Vic posted:

My dude...

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Officer Jenny whiffs in a way that reads as wrong to people who had any experience with law enforcement, because she didn't try to plant crack on me.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
What skin tone did you choose during the character creation part? This is very important.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.

Cleretic posted:

I assumed this wasn't difficult for people to wrap their head around, but apparently it is.

idk dude i haven't played the game, i'm just going off your post, which wasn't exactly clear. but thanks for implying i'm stupid for asking for clarification, even though i apparently was 100% correct in what I thought was going on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
vtubers pretend to act like anime characters op
she is an anime girl in an anime videogame
you have cause and effect completely backwards

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

In what world do vtubers not talk about their streamers, viewers, etc? :psyduck:

Literally every single vtuber I've seen talks about that kind of thing.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Perhaps the true little things dragging this game down were the goons we met along the way

Waste of Breath
Dec 30, 2021

I only know🧠 one1️⃣ thing🪨: I😡 want😤 to 🔪kill☠️… 😈Chaos😱… I need🥵 to. [TIME⏰ TO DIE☠️]
:same:

Vandar posted:

In what world do vtubers not talk about their streamers, viewers, etc? :psyduck:

Literally every single vtuber I've seen talks about that kind of thing.

Don't they have entire streams where they just read donations?

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Have you considered that maybe the game has her hamming it up because she's a gym leader running a side hustle as a lovely streamer for extra income, and the economic implications this has in the pokemon world

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
if she wants a side hustle she should just farm nuggets or other vendor trash and sell those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Can you farm nuggets in the new one? I haven't played it because the characterisation of the NPCs sounds shallow at best